For the LADIES - question about Time of the Month

[Un...]

My period is trying to start and the past couple days it’s like it’s almost getting there, to where it is going to have a regular flow (it’s been just spotting daily since reinstating after c/t).  Yesterday I felt a bleak depression and today woke up in panic and still have ongoing increase in fear and anxiety and obsessive worry.  Does anyone else experience a worsening of symptoms before or during your period? 

Thank you for any input!

Uni

Yes! It seems that our fluctuating hormones really do intensify symptoms for many. I never had pms or any emotional problems related to my cycle, but in wd, I am horrified by the cruelty of the interplay between Benzo symptoms and hormones. I imagine that the drop in progesterone is a big player in this, but not the only one. I look forward to the day I am not afraid my period is trying to kill me.

Yes! My period hasn't come back yet but before jumping i always felt sxs revving up. I used to plan my cuts and taper speed according to my time of the month!

It's a great sign that yours is trying to start again, a sign that you are recovering from the CT and stabilising!  :thumbsup:

Great big hugs  :smitten:

Julz xx

Oh what a relief to know this is a thing!  Thank you newgrl!!!  You have no idea how much you have helped me right now.  I’ve been pacing around and feeling bonkers.  I’m sorry it hits you hard, too :hug:  It’s crazy how intense these feelings are.  You worded it perfectly.  I’ve not had a full period since my horrific c/t.  It just stopped while in acute.  But these past two days it’s actually getting closer to being a REAL period. 

I wish for peace and healing for you and all our fellow buddies!!  :smitten:

Love,

Uni

I'm post menopausal yet my breasts have been tender for ages.  I don't understand the interplay between hormones and WD.  Don't understand any of it really except that it is totally debilitating. 

Good news Unicorn, it does seem you are stabilising with return of spotting.  Your body is trying to return to normal.  Never thought I'd celebrate a period with someone.  :)

Dee

Yes! My period hasn't come back yet but before jumping i always felt sxs revving up. I used to plan my cuts and taper speed according to my time of the month!

It's a great sign that yours is trying to start again, a sign that you are recovering from the CT and stabilising!  :thumbsup:

Great big hugs  :smitten:

Julz xx

Hi sweet Julia!!  :smitten:

I was actually thinking about you when I posted this and wondering if yours had come back yet.  It will!  At least you’re not having to deal with the added crazies of being on this mad hormone swing right now, right!?  Thank you for sharing your experience too!  It really helps me to accept this flare in symptoms insitesd I’d listen to the dreaded BENZO LIES telling me I’m going backwards and brain is getting worse.  Love your positivity, and yes it is a good sign that I’m stabilizing from that terrible c/t!  I hope it learns how to be kinder haha. 

I’m about to begin my DLMT,  so I got scared upon waking this morning in intense panic and odd racing thoughts that maybe I shouldn’t yet.  But I’m goin for it.  Slooooowwwwly. 

Lots of Love and Big hugs to you :hug:  :smitten:

I'm post menopausal yet my breasts have been tender for ages.  I don't understand the interplay between hormones and WD.  Don't understand any of it really except that it is totally debilitating. 

Good news Unicorn, it does seem you are stabilising with return of spotting.  Your body is trying to return to normal.  Never thought I'd celebrate a period with someone.  :)

Dee

Dee!  You made me laugh, thank you!!  It’s rare that I laugh these days.  Thanks for celebrating my “little engine that could” period, hope she makes it to full throttle! 

It is really odd how the hormones are affected by this ordeal.  My breasts have been tender and swollen since c/t, they were actually worse during acute and painful!  I hope your body finds a balance soon and your hormones balance out.  This stuff is so weird.  My skin has looked so weird in different phases of this...  it was ALL swollen everywhere but now it’s gone to the other end looking older and like it’s lost collagen.  I don’t understand it either, but hoping we all find the balance.  Go brains go! 

Thank you for sharing this!  I’m feeling way less insane thanks to all of you. 

Actually woke up this morning, ran to my mom and put my head in her lap.  I was shaking!  And asked, “Momma, do you think I’m just mentally ill and it’s not because of these drugs?”  She said ABSOLUTELY NOT!  It is definitely these drugs and you WILL get to the other side.  :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...
I've had the breast issues since I started tapering. Lumpy painful swollen. It sometimes goes away but then comes back.

I hadn't had a period since January and finally started yesterday!  I am taking it as a good sign too even though I feel horrible AND today is my first day switching from Lexapro to Pristiq.

I'm getting hit from all sides.

I hadn't had a period since January and finally started yesterday!  I am taking it as a good sign too even though I feel horrible AND today is my first day switching from Lexapro to Pristiq.

I'm getting hit from all sides.

Your period starting up is a victory already, FakeIt!  :smitten::thumbsup: I dearly hope you feel better with the cross-over to Pristiq... thinking of you  :smitten:

How is everybody else?  :smitten:

I am irregular as I am nearing 50. Last week I stopped sleeping and began suffering horrific nausea. Today I got my period for the first time in almost two months. I don't think the uptick in symptoms is a coincidence. This is really difficult to manage when things flare this much.

Absolutely, symptoms are far worse for me before my period. They are physical and mental/emotional; my depression hits me like a truck to the point where I would fear for my safety if I hadn't learned to recognize the thoughts for what they are and ride it out.  :'( It can be very alarming.

For context, I had such terrible PMS that my doctor was considering the PMDD diagnosis. I have the Nexplanon arm implant and that has brought some relief. My periods have not stopped, but they are very light - like maybe a week of PMS symptoms with only 1-2 days of light to moderate flow at the tail end.

At least I'm still regular, so when I have a sleepless night of anxious thoughts and a day of crippling depression I am able to check the calendar and remind myself that it's just hormones and withdrawal making me feel like I'm having some sort of breakdown, and that I only have to get through a few days before I'll start feeling better.

You're not alone...withdrawal seems to make that time of the month so much worse. But it passes.

Edit to add: I brought up this question in another thread about this topic, but didn't see an answer. Does anyone know if Pamprin or similar medication is safe during withdrawal? I know it has mood stabilizers as well as painkillers so I have avoided it so far, but I miss the relief it brought me.

Gwinna

Hi Uni, and all. 

Roll in periods.  Roll out tender breasts.  Roll on healing.

I only just found your post Uni. I get lost on this site sometimes. 

God bless your Momma.  :angel:

And you made me laugh with your "little engine that could".  "Full throttle", all systems go!

At least I know I'm not pregnant.  :)

:smitten:

Dee

Dee, you made me laugh with your “roll in” “roll out” and “roll on”.  Fuuuh ya!! 

So I’m really excited, I’m actually 5 days into my first REAL period in four months!  Yaaaaahoooo!!  It’s so incredibly heavy and painful but I’m still welcoming it.  I seriously spotted for two months  and had PMS / PMDD symptoms that whole time.  Mentally, physically, ugh. 

This is a very good sign that I actually started!  Not only after a c/t, then reinstatement, then updose and hold, BUT during my DLMT!!  I feared I wouldn’t have a period all the way through taper/withdrawal. 

Oh the irritability, anger, depression and anxiety swings!  Riding it out!  *knucks* 

Absolutely, symptoms are far worse for me before my period. They are physical and mental/emotional; my depression hits me like a truck to the point where I would fear for my safety if I hadn't learned to recognize the thoughts for what they are and ride it out.  :'( It can be very alarming.

For context, I had such terrible PMS that my doctor was considering the PMDD diagnosis. I have the Nexplanon arm implant and that has brought some relief. My periods have not stopped, but they are very light - like maybe a week of PMS symptoms with only 1-2 days of light to moderate flow at the tail end.

At least I'm still regular, so when I have a sleepless night of anxious thoughts and a day of crippling depression I am able to check the calendar and remind myself that it's just hormones and withdrawal making me feel like I'm having some sort of breakdown, and that I only have to get through a few days before I'll start feeling better.

You're not alone...withdrawal seems to make that time of the month so much worse. But it passes.

Edit to add: I brought up this question in another thread about this topic, but didn't see an answer. Does anyone know if Pamprin or similar medication is safe during withdrawal? I know it has mood stabilizers as well as painkillers so I have avoided it so far, but I miss the relief it brought me.

Gwinna

I think Pamprin would be fine to take.

Day 6 of my period and it’s heavier and more painful, as well as doing things it does’t normally. Like, the past two days it stopped then started heavily all of a sudden again at 5pm!  I’ve never had this heavy of a period in my life.  I feel it’s messing with my emotions a lot, swinging all around. 

Did anyone else have it come back really heavy when it resumed? 

It’s hard to know what’s hormonal and what’s benzo stuff, right now.  But my taper has been going really well, so it must be the period.