How should I Taper off Lorazepam ( Ativan )

[Jo...]

You know what you need to do Joey!

First, you need to flush the pills. IF you don't you will start again. I can hear it in your voice. Flush the pills, then tackle the pot addiction.

Pot used to make me extremely anxious and paranoid. and it did nothing for my sleep. Also, it just makes one stupid and apathetic. It's a really dumb drug. What a terrible way to live this life. It may have it's place for certain physical illnesses and conditions, but not mental/emotional conditions. It will do nothing but make them so much worse. Don't you want to totally alive and awake in the moment? You will never be when you are stoned. You will just stumble through life in a doped up haze. Doesn't sound very fun to me.

Most people say they smoke to decrease their anxiety. Why would you ingest something that makes you so anxious and uncomfortable?

Please think deeply about what I said. Life without chemicals is soooo much better. Don't waste it being stoned!

Linda

PS> I'm very happy that you are finished tapering and free!! Don't put yourself back in prison.  ;)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Jo...]

• [Co...]

• [Sh...]

• [el...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Joey, everytime you find yourself "needing" to take something, go for a walk, and deep breathe. I know that sounds simple and stupid, but it's very powerful. You'll be amazed. It got me over my nicotine addiction, and that is the most powerful addiction of all. 

I don't know if you excersise, but if you don't, do it. It can change your whole oulook on life. Try yoga and meditation too. Sign up for a class. It might be best thing you will ever do for yourself. :yippee: 

hey thanks for ur advice

i havent taken a pill in 11 days

problem is since i was 17 ive smoked pot everyday i used to smoke a quarter a day i also smoke alot of cigarettes  the only life i know is a doped up haze

pot just hurts me

the lorazepam helped me in so many ways but i got scared when i had to keep taking more and more   

i dont exercise because i have noooo energy and i cant really go outside i have agoriphobia i cant go for a walk or go to yoga  i dont even really go to work 

thanks though  im gunna keep trying

Joey, I"m 48. I spent my whole teens drinking and getting stoned pretty much everyday. I spent my whole 20's drinking and doing cocaine, pretty much everyday. I didn't know any other way either. When I turned 30 I moved away and left it all behind. When I was 34 I quit a 20 year cigarette smoking habit.

I still drink a tiny bit, but everything else I haven't done in many years and don't miss it at all. When i stopped, instinct just took over and I went on with my life without too much thought.

You know that the reason you have no energy and are agoraphobic is due to the pot. You are just a young man Joey. You can change! You can have a really good, healthy, happy life. It will take some strength, but it is there inside you even if you don't believe it. It's there. You just have to tap into it. And you know what? You will. It took me til I was 30 before something inside me decided to get real.

LIfe isn't easy when you aren't high, but it's easier than when you are. Honest. ;) 

also i have always had terrible anxiety since i was 5 and was agoraphobic  be4  i started smoking weed

I know that a lot of people have their anxiety disorders before they start using stuff, but that doesn't mean you will always have it. It is not inborn. It's learned and developed. Yes, you can be born a little more sensitive and susceptible,(like I was) but it is something that can be recovered from. (like I did)

Sometimes it's something that just goes away with maturity. You are still very young. Also, you can perpetuate it by telling yourself you were like this as a kid, so therefore you will be like this your whole life. Not true!

You sound like a very sensitive person, and that can be very hard as a child and young adult, but life experience can begin to minimize anxiety over time. Have you ever been to therapy? A good therapist can teach you how to view life differently and change the way you process thoughts. This is extremely effective. If you don't have insurance and can't afford it, there are many good books on the subject. It's called cognitive behavioural therapy. Just go to amazon.com and do a search.   

Take care! :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys im back      thanks for everyones help   i have quit lorazepam and due to tapering the withdrawl was not so bad   i couldnt come on here because reading and thinking about benzos made me want to take them

Congrats on getting safely off the lorazapam!  It is so good to hear success stories.  I hope you can cut down on the pot -- it really can make you paranoid and lethargic.

I just did a cut and am down to .25 mg a day.  Can't wait to jump off of this crap.

• 2 weeks later...
I just want to thank everyone for there support and for giving me hope  i tapered off lorazepam and quit smoking pot                        but as soon as i felt better im sorry and sad to report that now im taking clonazepam lorazepam and marijuana        im sorry guys i tried  i did it  but i guess im a loser  i just want 2 b fucked up all the time      i love being tranquilized out  i just get scared cuz i keep needing more and more to get tha same effects                    im so sorry  i wish u all the best u can all do it        i did it  but was to weak to stay clean im sorry and thanks again for everything

hi joey - maybe you just gave up too much at one time.

you are not a loser - you did it - and if you want you can do it again - but just deal with one thing at a time- till you are totally comfortable.

i quit benzo's and now i am giving up smoking and nircottee and it is absolutely incredible what little tolerance people have for me going thru this  :laugh: i think i am doing fine - other then it is really really really really hard.

well thanks for dropping in - come by any time - and remember you are not a loser.

Hi Joey,

Maybe it was just the wrong time. It was a lot tackle all in one go. Maybe next time you should tackle one thing at a time. Why, exactly, do you think you started back up with everything?

• 1 year later...

UPDaTe

I know it has been a long time

like 14 months

but when i decided to go back on benzos

i couldnt come back here

i felt so bad

like i let every1 down

i really did want to quit and did

mainly because i found this site and everyone on it

I wanna thank everyone also for all your time

but i couldnt live and be sober

im sorry 

Im still here 

but things keep getting worse and worse

Hi Joey!

You may not have been ready at the time. With addiction it's hard to quit unless you really want to. Hopefully you'll come to that point soon.

Good luck!

Amanda

I did want to quit 

and did quit

mainly because of this site

the problem was

once i was sober i didnt know how 2 live

and i hated living without being high

I dont see that point ever coming

Im afraid its too late

Daily i smoke a QUARTER of KiLLeR Ku$H MaRiJuaNa ( aka K K Ku$H ) 40% THC

ALL types of benzos

and worst of all pain killers

i dont know what to do

seems i always wanna be high

i dont know why

Joey, when you decide you really want to learn how to live without drugs, you will be able to do it.  I know from experience with my own family members that I can't help anyone who hasn't already decided to quit.  I hope you can find some good reasons to get and stay sober rather than stay high and end up in jail or dead.  :-\

i dont worry about jail  its not an option

death is possible mixing benzos and opioids i know

i had been high 4 10 years straight

i really wanted to quit be4 and i did

i was clean for months

i did it

but could not live day to day  all alone

i dont know how to live sober

i dont know what to do with my time

being intoxicated is the only thing that makes me happy and that i enjoy

i do not know how to live without drugs

i cant figure it out

no will power

i wish i could b like every1 else and only do things in moderation

but i cant

Congradulations on your sucess BeePeR

GooD 4 U  :)

Thanks for your time

i do not know how to live without drugs

i cant figure it out

no will power

i wish i could b like every1 else and only do things in moderation

but i cant

Congradulations on your sucess BeePeR

GooD 4 U  :)

Thanks for your time

Joey, you still don't sound like you want to figure out how to live without drugs.  If you do, reach out for some treatment, and by that I mean narcanon or AA where you get some personal support.  You need to make a commitment to do it, though.  Addiction is a disease that needs to be treated and managed, not unlike diabetes.  I will never be cured of diabetes but I have learned to eat so that it doesn't rob me of my sight or limbs (well, most of the time  ;).  I hope you decide to use your life for something and not just piss it away. I hate waste in all it forms but the waste of a life is the saddest IMO.

Take care of yourself, Joey.  :mybuddy:

Patty and Beeper  super sweet  ;D thanks

its hard to figure out how to live without drugs alone

easier to just keep doing what i know

right now though

i dont want to be sober ( i never drink alcohol )

i have no real reasons to be

i dont know how to live or what to do with my time

so just keep getting high

Hi Kel

thats sweet  thanks

by the time i was 18 i had already done everything i wanted to with my life

i think its too late now

i am surprised i lasted this long

thanks though

Hi Kel

thats sweet  thanks

by the time i was 18 i had already done everything i wanted to with my life

i think its too late now

i am surprised i lasted this long

thanks though

Gosh, I had hardly done anything by the time I was 18.  What were those things you wanted to do with your life that you've already done?

Hi Joey,

What type of support group/family is available for you?  You know that life does not have to be this way for you.  Have you attended support groups?  My gosh, hon, I am praying for you.

Patty  xo

Kel

i lead a different life than most  always soo lucky

every1 treat me like a superstar and always let me get by without doing anything

i think because they say i look like i m from a boy band

and i know how 2 talk 2 people

there were 5 things or jobs i always wanted 2 try and i did

the best is past

i really dont have any reason 2 b like every1 else working 9 to 5

the drugs are the only thing keeping me happy

only things i enjoy

just so we know  before the pain killers started

i would smoke a quarter of the most potent marijuana a day

2mg clonazepam and 5 to 7mg of Lorazepam

now i smoke 4 to 7 grams of Killer Kush a day

either 1mg clonazepam or 1mg of lorazepam or 2mg xanax or 10mg valium

and either

300mg or ml of Codeine

or 40ml of Hycodan  liquid hydrocodone

20 to 40mg of Oxycodone  (percocet or oxycontin)

or 30mg of morphine