Gabapentin??

[On...]

I took it forever in massive quantities, so I am not a typical user by any means - and I am using Valium as a way to 'cover' my ongoing gabapentin withdrawal... - again an anomaly on this board - but I've talked to literally hundreds of people who went through hell after minimal use so I always feel an obligation to warn people - regards to Kitty

Yes, you're right CallyDex, that's why I took Gabapentin in small quantities and sparingly.  It did help with anxiety and sleep.  But I've read many times that withdrawal from it is horrible.  So sorry you're going through this.  Thanks for sharing.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Es...]

• [On...]

• [gi...]

• [be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I took only 300mg per night for about six months for sleep after benzo withdrawal.  My doctor assured me it was safe, and gave me no instructions to taper when I wanted to stop. (I had very bad suicidal thoughts while on this)  I have been through opiate withdrawal,  and gabapentin withdrawal was very similar, It is that bad!  Be very careful.

I took it forever in massive quantities, so I am not a typical user by any means - and I am using Valium as a way to 'cover' my ongoing gabapentin withdrawal... - again an anomaly on this board - but I've talked to literally hundreds of people who went through hell after minimal use so I always feel an obligation to warn people - regards to Kitty

Very interesting contributions, Callydex. Thank you :) Hope you manage to quit that V. eventually. It is poison. I’m so fed up with it. Has ruined more than last three yrs of my life. Kitty is a very sweet little creature and the best sleeping pill in the world. Thanks again!

I took only 300mg per night for about six months for sleep after benzo withdrawal.  My doctor assured me it was safe, and gave me no instructions to taper when I wanted to stop. (I had very bad suicidal thoughts while on this)  I have been through opiate withdrawal,  and gabapentin withdrawal was very similar, It is that bad!  Be very careful.

Yeah, it is said to cause depression. I shall see what my pdoc says. I’m depressed enough by Valium. Thanks for your input, Livestrong :)

Estee :-) you didn’t hijack the post.. all of the information is useful.. please post as much as you like. Hope things get better for everyone.

Thank you, Onescareddude :) I’m still curious whether it causes weight gain. Its predecessor, Lyrica, made me gain so much weight. That I went CT from 300 mg. Not a pleasant experience.

Very interesting contributions, Callydex. Thank you :) Hope you manage to quit that V. eventually. It is poison. I’m so fed up with it. Has ruined more than last three yrs of my life. Kitty is a very sweet little creature and the best sleeping pill in the world. Thanks again!

Yes - thank you. I think I am finding that some of my current symptoms - like the heart stuff and some brain fog (two things I had not experienced for years) - are a function of the Valium, and that other symptoms are the Gabapentin withdrawal resurfacing as I go down in Valium. Would love to get off the Valium asap but the gaba withdrawal is no joke - for me the Valium is a tropical vacation in comparison. But I am having a really hard time getting below 1.8. This is my second try: got to 1.74 a couple of months ago and just crashed. I am coming to the realization that my system can discern a drop of .02. So I am planning on holding for a good long while at 1.75 - until (hopefully) I am no longer symptomatic. I have recently had the hideous cold going around, and my husband has left for a golf trip, and so my symptoms are ramping up nicely. But I have 2 dogs, an old cat, and an older bird at home for company and should be able to ride it out...I follow your posts with great interest - and many others as well - hope you have a restful day

Yeah, I think you should taper as slowly as you wish. Valium is a hideous med. I had no problems whatsoever with Lyrica CT. Just couldn’t have it in my appt. Since I went back on benzos in 2014,

a downward spiral started. I guess my pdoc won’t give me Gabapentin. He doesn’t want me to take more meds. I know quite well which psych med gives which sxs. I live alone with my Kitty and feel okay with that. We’re all so different. Thanks for your interest in my posts. I spend far too much time here. Guess it’s a way to escape from benzo WD symptoms. All the best to you and your pets, CallyDex :)

Thank you guys... the fire burning became so bad today that I took gabapentin again... I just don’t understand because the parasthesia is mostly in my right hand and up my forearm.. sometimes I get it elsewhere like chest and face and left side.. but the right side is awful..

Thank you guys... the fire burning became so bad today that I took gabapentin again... I just don’t understand because the parasthesia is mostly in my right hand and up my forearm.. sometimes I get it elsewhere like chest and face and left side.. but the right side is awful..

Maybe get a second opinion, Onescareddude. No idea what could help. It’s benzo WD for sure... My pdoc didn’t give me Gabapentin. Said it causes weight gain. So the issue is resolved. Gave me Rx for an AP, which in the US is approved only for veterinary use. To help with my taper. Took it in the past. Didn’t buy it.

Maybe yes, maybe no, I don't know.  My doctor prescribed me Gabapentin 300-600mg a night as needed for nerve pain and anxiety from pain.  I hardly ever take it.  When I took it, I slept all through the night and onto the next day, it's very good for sleep. I don't take it regularly though, I don't like the loopy feeling afterwards that carries over.  But it's a good drug when pain/anxiety is unbearable.

[ff...]
I've been on gabapentin for the last 4.5 years and was up to 3000 mg. a day.  It's a nightmare to withdraw from.  I'm now tapering at 100 mg. a month without too much problem...it'll take me another year to get off of this nasty drug.  Yes, it absolutely causes weight gain.

I've been on gabapentin for the last 4.5 years and was up to 3000 mg. a day.  It's a nightmare to withdraw from.  I'm now tapering at 100 mg. a month without too much problem...it'll take me another year to get off of this nasty drug.  Yes, it absolutely causes weight gain.

I second everything Scrabblegirl said. I used it for a comparable length of time and at a higher quantity. I still have not totally recovered, after almost 2 years off

Thank you so much for the info on weight gain, Scrabblegirl :) I have an Eating Disorder. Cannot take stuff that causes weight gain. Prefer not to sleep and be anxious. I used to take Lyrica for a year (2014) and gained so much that I CTed. But I couldn’t have any at home, cause I would have eaten it then. I was also on Seroquel. A real mess.

Pdoc didn’t want to give me Lyrica. He said it causes weight gain and hair loss. So I got it from mother. Now he refused to give me Gabapentin. Said it also causes weight gain. Of course I didn’t believe him. I must read here to believe.

I think Tegretol and Lamictal are the only mood stabilizers that don’t cause weight gain. But they didn’t help me to sleep. Tegretol was awesome for anxiety during my first BDZ WD. Cannot take it with Prozac, though.

I second everything Scrabblegirl said. I used it for a comparable length of time and at a higher quantity. I still have not totally recovered, after almost 2 years off

Thank you, CallyDex. Good pdoc was wise enough not to give it to me. I prefer no sleep and anxiety to weight gain. There is no discussion with my ED.

One addiction pdoc gave me Lyrica after the hospital in 2016. I was on 40 mg Valium then and just started Prozac. I couldn’t sleep and took one pill. Went immediately to the fridge. Sth intolerable was happening to me. This was a small dose, like 150 mg Lyrica.

Took the whole damn pack and flushed it down the toilet. That pdoc was furious when I told him. Luckily, he’s not my pdoc anymore. Gave me lots of Valium. But was so obnoxious that I couldn’t stand him.

Well... thank you all for your input.. I could not deal with this burning nerve pain so I began takikng gabapentin 4 days ago. 3x a day and I can say that it helps because in the morning I feel burning all over my upper body.. now I have it more in my legs. It’s most painful on my right side, my right hand and arm are constantly tingling pins and needles and burning. The skin on my right hand is peeling and it’s swollen.. this sucks!!

I've taken Lyrica since jumping 20 months ago occasionally. It's meant to be similar but new and improved. I have done a lot of research and it says that it does not act on gaba receptors directly. It kind of chews up glutamate. I feel like I haven't improved much over the last year though which has me questioning if the lyrica has stopped healing. I feel weird when I take it, like I'm high...but the next day all my symptoms are like 80% lessened.

Interesting that you have found Lyrica (Pregabalin) helpful.

I recently tried gabapentin again and it made my brain feel inflamed.

I wonder if I would be okay with the pregabalin.

I tried it years ago for nerve pain but, like you, it makes me feel very out of it.

I've taken Lyrica since jumping 20 months ago occasionally. It's meant to be similar but new and improved. I have done a lot of research and it says that it does not act on gaba receptors directly. It kind of chews up glutamate. I feel like I haven't improved much over the last year though which has me questioning if the lyrica has stopped healing. I feel weird when I take it, like I'm high...but the next day all my symptoms are like 80% lessened.

Yeah, it gives one a high, I agree. Better than Valium, IMO. I don’t think it’s recommended to take it occasionally.

I personally would not to feel high myself-

You won’t know it unless you try it, Betsy. Lyrica is very strange. Helped me sleep in the first 1-2 mos only. Then made me calm and made me gain weight. Wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. Ppl have lots of trouble tapering it. I CTed, cause it made me gain weight. Couldn’t have it at home though. That was strange. I can have almost anything at home now. Once I make up my mind not to touch it, I won’t. Maybe I could have Lyrica at home now. I was quite polydrugged when I was given Lyrica.

I don't see how taking it occasionally could be worse that taking it every day. If anything, the body would just stay out of dependency. But who knows anymore. I've been wrong before and might be wrong again one day... ;D

I take Gabapentin occasionally, I was prescribed it 'as needed' for nerve pain and anxiety.  After having done some research on it, I found that withdrawal from it can be very difficult, much like benzo or worse.  It does work, but I hardly use it, only in real tough situations, maybe 2-3 times a month. 

I started on another board that i was just prescribed Gabapentin. Dr. wants me to take it regularly, and heading up to 300mg a day. Been taking it for a few days and I'm so tired, all the time. I suspect this is a side effect that will wear off? I am so fearful of the merry-go-round of "Here, take this so you can get off that" (That being Klonopin for 25 years)  only to end up with more issues. I just want to be "Normal"  :(