Who can drink coffee while going through anxiety?

[Te...]

And why do you think that is? I'm wondering because I cannot drink it. I've tried many times. It pushes my anxiety up so badly that my blood pressure takes a real hit.

I have low blood pressure and find coffee helpful. If it has any effect on my anxiety level, it rather calms me down. Helps me concentrate. I think BP is a really important factor here.

Lucky Estee!! I wonder why it calms you. That is interesting. I've read that before on BB. And it's wonderful your blood pressure can tolerate it with no problems!

When I can concentrate better and my thinking is more clear. I feel less anxious. More in control of the situation. I’m a control freak. When I used to take Valium during the day, or even crumbs of Ambien during the day in 2015/16 (at home only), I also drank coffee afterwards. I don’t like CNS downers. I became physically addicted to them because of anxiety and insomnia. But they make me feel indifferent, lost, depressed. I drink much less coffee in BDZ WD when before. Like 10% of what I used to drink. I also partly replaced coffee with guarana capsules. They are gentler on the stomach. I never liked the taste of coffee. Discovered it as a kid. It was bitter. So I put lots of skimmed milk in my coffee and eat sth sweet with it. I have been drinking only one brand for a long time. Each time

I buy a new brand, it’s difficult or impossible to get used to the taste.

I quit alcohol in 2002, during my first BDZ WD. My addiction pdoc told me it acts on GABA. I had no problems stopping it, although I drank quite a lot to remedy benzo interdose WD. Good drinks, also on my own. Never drank vodka. Drank beer rarely. Hated the taste. But I used alcohol to remedy benzo WD, for sure. I went to therapy with recovering alcoholics. Cause there was no therapy for benzo addicts. Also went to AA meetings with my husband. He’s a recovering alcohol and drug addict, 14 yrs sober.

I think it is genetics. Some ppl are programmed to get cross-addicted to benzos and alcohol. Others to alcohol only. Others to benzos only. I have two benzo addicts in my close family, but no alcoholics.

Coffee doesn’t affect my blood pressure in any particular way. I hate the fact that my BP is so low. Cause I always felt lethargic, even before benzos and ADs. I guess it’s my dysthymia as well. Know ppl with low BP who are energetic. Those ppl were told to drink alcohol to raise their blood pressure! By a doctor. What if they become addicted?

Yes, I know what you mean about mediating the effects of BZD withdrawal (or recovery in my case) with alcohol. I started doing that, too. I drank it and felt great! I could concentrate on what I wanted to do instead of being OCD and worrying incessantly. It felt like I was almost at the end of hell! But it's a slippery slope. It can cause more anxiety, and I didn't need that on top of the anxiety I already had. So it's a good thing you quit drinking it. GREAT for your husband's 14 years sober!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think having low blood pressure is better than high. At least you don't have to take pills. You may seem lethargic, but at least you can have coffee to counterbalance that. I've had terribly high blood pressure with benzos and up till now, and it's very scary. Plus the pills can damage the kidneys and liver.

That doctor who told people to drink alcohol to raise their blood pressure must have been crazy. :idiot: That's ridiculous. My brother-in-law has low blood pressure, around 90/60. He takes his blood pressure frequently. He worries about it, I know, but at least enjoys his coffee.

It's interesting that your blood pressure isn't affected by the coffee, though it sounds as if it's pretty diluted. I didn't worry about coffee before pills. Everyone is different, and there is definitely genetics involved in both alcohol and coffee. Wish we knew more about it!!