You WILL heal even extreme cases-my christmas gift to myself is my success story

[SS...]

just wanted to say i took my trip - handled a 4 hour plane trip - days on the beach/heat/sun which i couldn't handle last year - went into a night club with booming music / strobe lights, etc., and did FINE!!!!! didnt make my tinnitus any worse.. amazing to be healed.... now getting ready for my next trip in less than a week.

Read this entire post, it gives me hope, thank you. Can you advise more on the HPA axis and what to do to help it get back to where it should be? E.g does taking GABA help. I've seen the food list, what else?

please DO NOT take anything that impacts GABA!!!!  it will only delay or prevent healing.  i carefully avoided all supplements that hit GABA - your receptors cannot come back if you've just replaced the benzo with something else - although much weaker - supplements will still confuse the body.    at 9 months out after a few bad nights of sleep i tried a 1/2 GABA capsule and it threw me back into acute withdrawal for 72 hours - utterly  terrifying and reconfirms everything ashton says about avoiding GABA supplements.

so - healing the adrenals are tricky because nearly all the recommended supplements work on GABA..... but the safe things are taking 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of himalyan sea salt in the morning and evening.  this helps with electrolyte and mineral balance.  Twinlabs Vitamin C 500mg capsules - this will help lower cortisol.  Vitamin E is very important - i take 400 IU daily - solgar liquigels.  Pantethine - which is activated B5 is very helpful - 300mg daily.  IF you can tolerate it - low doses of B6 and B12 - remember -the body is very sensitive so you should always start with a low dose - i bought empty capsules on amazon and split capsules into 3rds or halves or if a tablet - just split them.  etc

this is a marathon - not a sprint  - there are no quick fixes other than supporting the body while the receptors regrow....

• 2 months later...

You mentioned the book The Secret. What other books did you read that were helpful. What coping techniques were your highest yield ones?

Do we really all heal from all our w/d sxs? Can never get too much reassurance!

• 1 year later...

other things i've recommended and i feel helped me - were neurofeedback - but its expensive and not covered by insurance  .  i did briefly try an alpha stimulation unit - most companies will give it to you on a 30 day money back guarantee - its was like $800-$900..... i did use it for 3 weeks and sent it back - hard to say if that influenced anything or not.

but the biggest - low cost thing i did was use www.brainsync.com  MP3 files - they are much like neurofeedback only low cost.  there was one for relieving anxiety that somedays i'd leave on a continuous loop for hours and it really made a huge difference and also helped me sleep at times......  they do have sleep files on that site but i have to say they didnt really help....... but the relieve anxiety, the release and let go and theta meditation files all helped...... the brain is stuck in high beta early in withdrawal which is horrible....... so these can really help calm things down.....

best wishes for healing

• 1 month later...
Massive Congrats! You talk about acceptance and I can’t stress this enough as well.  When I learned acceptance was key, I felt empowered and things really started to turn around. My symptoms didn’t magically stop, but the way I reacted to them changed. There were 2 key things I’d like to share that lead me to this enlightenment. The audible “Hope & Help for Your Nerves” by Dr Claire Weekes and the thread http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=87594.0. If you haven’t read, please do yourself a favor!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
yes - when you read my list of symptoms and the fact that i needed two 8 hour long cardiac surgeries, had seizures, etc., i'd say that is pretty extreme - and i still healed in 6 months.  so i want to make sure people don't think that just because they have extreme symptoms there is no chance of healing or that it will take forever - i do feel the strategy i took is what allowed me to heal in that time frame.  thankfully i'm 3.5 yrs out and thriving.  i will never forget the utter horror of what i went through but it certainly made life that much more beautiful once recovered.

Thank you.

I believe 100% in total healing.  I understand what you are saying about mindset, how we speak to ourselves and others about our condition, and strategies such as distraction and getting in charge of our own recovery. 

Of course, the struggle is real.  It is important to be able to say so.  However, catastrophic thinking and speech keep the mind in a state of 'victim' and not 'healing'. 

This is not fantasy or magical thinking.  It is about the body mind connection.  Words and thoughts have power. 

So often on these boards, I see people saying hard core things:  "I am not healing"  "This is killing me"  "I can't go on".  What is the feeling behind these statements?  Something like "I am afraid right now"  "This is very scary and I feel sick"  "I am so tired.  It is hard to face this".  Words have power.

People often ask for feedback and help.  Excellent help is offered.  And it seems to fall into a deep dark well.  They come back and ask the exact same question again, expecting hoping for a different answer.  They say "what is this?" over and over.  It's withdrawal.  It's all withdrawal.

I have also been accused of being unkind, for being direct.  Breaking through the withdrawal veil and negativity is difficult.  It is not always useful to be soft and sweet.  Sometimes the truth has to be said very clearly.  It is not meant to be unkind.  It is meant to break through.

You had a very difficult experience.  You advocated for yourself.  You persisted.  You transcended.  You found your strength.  You healed.  It is not possible to heal just by waiting.  It is an active process.  It requires all-in involvement and commitment.  You did that.  No doubt, you are a deeper, wiser, kinder, stronger person than you ever thought possible now.

Congratulations.

SSR1975:

Thank you for coming back and giving us all hope again!

Yours was one of the first success stories I found and printed out and highlighted and I'm trying to replicate it!!

We have a lot in common, and I so hope that I'll be able to heal quickly once I'm off these drugs, so that I can get back to the job that I love!!

I'm still trying to find supplements that help me!

I too am a firm believer in Neurofeedback, I did that for the last 2 years prior to me taking this poison pill for such a short time.

It is amazing for anxiety and I hope to be able to use that again, once my sensitivity to sound gets better.

Healing64 - you are not unkind, you are very compassionate!

I have been stuck in a rut for months and keep posting about how to get out of it!

I don't know how, but I do know that I will one day.

I do have to actively change my thinking, as it is often in the more negative mindset - hard not to be when you are pacing the floors and screaming, but this too shall pass!

I'm trying hard, just as healing isn't linear, neither is learning how to cope with where you are at!

Frankly, I'm still in shock that I ended up in this position, I thought I was so careful with only a short time use and boom got caught, as a lot of us here have.

I thought I was the strongest person I knew, lost an identical twin and had successful moved on from that over the last 15 years, only to be faced with this!

But I'm going to do everything I can to beat this, even if it takes me years!

thanks for all your help, both of you.

WinnieDog

Thank you.

I believe 100% in total healing.  I understand what you are saying about mindset, how we speak to ourselves and others about our condition, and strategies such as distraction and getting in charge of our own recovery. 

Of course, the struggle is real.  It is important to be able to say so.  However, catastrophic thinking and speech keep the mind in a state of 'victim' and not 'healing'. 

This is not fantasy or magical thinking.  It is about the body mind connection.  Words and thoughts have power. 

So often on these boards, I see people saying hard core things:  "I am not healing"  "This is killing me"  "I can't go on".  What is the feeling behind these statements?  Something like "I am afraid right now"  "This is very scary and I feel sick"  "I am so tired.  It is hard to face this".  Words have power.

People often ask for feedback and help.  Excellent help is offered.  And it seems to fall into a deep dark well.  They come back and ask the exact same question again, expecting hoping for a different answer.  They say "what is this?" over and over.  It's withdrawal.  It's all withdrawal.

I have also been accused of being unkind, for being direct.  Breaking through the withdrawal veil and negativity is difficult.  It is not always useful to be soft and sweet.  Sometimes the truth has to be said very clearly.  It is not meant to be unkind.  It is meant to break through.

You had a very difficult experience.  You advocated for yourself.  You persisted.  You transcended.  You found your strength.  You healed.  It is not possible to heal just by waiting.  It is an active process.  It requires all-in involvement and commitment.  You did that.  No doubt, you are a deeper, wiser, kinder, stronger person than you ever thought possible now.

Congratulations.

Great post x :thumbsup:

you are all an inspiration -and wise words are being exchanged here.  the non linear aspect of healing is what makes this utterly cruel and it does take quite some tine to learn how to navigate that...... people kept posting about acceptance being key and in the beginning - i couldn't even process what that meant or how to get there - but honestly - once i accepted that this was all way beyond my control - that damage had been done that would need to reverse - and that i just needed to accept this - the tide did in fact start to turn.... i knew there would be horrific days and then decent days - when i got a decent day - i was utterly grateful and when horror returned - i knew decent would come back around again - the fact that decent moments happen and are taken away - is the true utter blow of this recovery..... its not something anyone can possibly understand without enduring it.....

so continue to be brave and know that healing is in fact happening without ZERO sign of it..... keep marching forward and thanking your body and soul for having the strength to endure.  i promise you will come out the other side  a true warrior who can put so many  things into perspective  that you never would have  before!

sending each of you strength determination and healing

i shared a lot of insight in both my success stories in the exchanges that followed in terms of how to get to a decent mindset - the first thing is to accept being a super positive person simply isn't possible so getting to a neutral mindset is the goal - just accepting life will be tough but believing healing is happening.

one strategy was to use www.brainsync.com  - i used teh relieve anxiety MP3 file through out the day  - it calmed me as much as my hyper alarmed body could be calmed

distraction - my first window came when my family forced me to a cabin in the woods on a lake - no internet - so no ability to be reading in this site 24/7 or researching symptoms...  that opened my first window which lasted 2-3 weeks and then a horrible horrible wave came - at that point i sold my house and moved into my sisters basement.  she forced me to get off the internet and bought me this trilogy of books - while my reading comprehension was poor and it was hard- i kept at it and got very absorbed into the books and just stopped dwelling on my symptoms - they didn't go away but i didn't focus on them 24/7 ...... another window opened. 

but eating super clean eliminated dietary worsening of symptoms - which i am certain helped. 

most success stories indicate that people are grateful for this site as it validated what was happening but at some point - some people just need to step away  from it - others say they needed the support from it 24/7.... everyone is different in that regard

wishing everyone strength and healing. may you find some small amount of peace during this holiday season..,,,,

SSR1975:

Thank you so much for these words of encouragement!!

I backed away for a few days, and only came back today to wish others well for Christmas.

I agree I found comfort for the last few weeks with understanding what was happening to me.

But the last few days, were great, as I was able to do other things and not focus on symptoms so much!

I wish you a wonderful Christmas!

I sure wish I could get to a cabin with no internet - darn covid - just went into another lockdown here in Canada!

WinnieDog

hello - i know - COVID is not helping in one way - in terms of getting a change of scenery - but could be helping people in other ways in that they may be able to somehow hold a job and work from home versus losing their job entirely due to the symptoms and not being able to leave the house.....  no question getting a view of teh beach or a lake or mountains can help raise the spirits - best wishes for healing - no question forcing yourself to sink into something else like a book - can really help!!!

wishing everyone happy holidays.

SSR1975.  Thank you for the advice and congratulations for beating this AND sharing it with we who are still suffering through this.

I have done extensive research but I did NOT know about the histamine effects and some other things you pointed out.  Thank God for you that you shared this with us.  I am at 1.500 and it's been hell.  However, what you just shared may be a help for me now.  Been suffering with mucus stuck in my throat every night, could not figure out what was the cause....well, now I know thanks to you!  It's awful. 

I am on the Keto Diet as well as Intermittent Fasting.  16 hours a day I fast and it is helping me.  Keeps inflammation down.  I eat in a way where I am not losing weight or gaining.  For me, just feels better for me overall being on this diet.  With this Keto, I avoid sugar and FAT BOMBS.  I just stick with protein and veggies.  I drink natural lemon in my water regularly too. Seems to be helping me.  So I still do not know why I'm suffering with this mucus stuck in my throat, POST NASAL DRIP on Steroids I swear.  Very little histamine but could be some cream I put in my hot chocolate.  It's the only dairy I have.  Maybe cancel that out.  Only cheese is FETA, which is goat cheese........goat cheese does not cause inflammation.  I don't know about histamine though....will check that out.

Keep sharing your success story with us, we need to hear it.

All the best to you and yours. 

Kimmie

Its hard for me to concentrate so if I missed it how long was your taper?  and how did you manage to survive on your own ? I understand you went to live with your sister  did she take care of you ? I'm on my own and  feel awful, I have the pass out  feeling when I get out of bed and Ataxia  which is like living in another dimension.  Is this brought out  bc of histamine ?

i did not taper - i cold turkeyed off 30 mg valium -  unaware of what would happen - i had major spine surgery and took the meds exactly as prescribed - i was on it for  3 weeks and when the meds ran out - just stopped.......  prior to that i had been kindled numerous times with various benzos and zdrugs because following a long battle with lymes disease  i couldn't sleep......  when i went  into a tail spin i went back on 10mg valium - having no idea the further mess that was being created- once i connected all the dots and realized what was happening - i cold turkeyed off the 10mg valium plus cold turkey off the z-drug i had been on for 6  years plus cold turkey off progesterone cream  .  i moved in with my sister at month 3 following the cold turkey and no she didn't take care of me - i was expected to cook, clean and carry my weight - the only reason i moved in was because i had come close to ending my life twice and because my family wouldn't help me with picking up groceries - i couldn't drive i was so unstable and the agoraphobia was  horrific - back then grocery delivery wasn't as easy as it is now due to COVID.  i think not having anyone to take care of me was a benefit because if you resort to saying you can't take care of yourself - you are just falling further into the dark hole...... people have said "well then you couldn't have been that sick" - simply not true- i was having seizures and went through two 8 hour long cardiac surgeries..... it was as bad as it gets....... i couldnt even make it up a  flight of stairs - i'd go 3-4 steps and have to sit - and then go 3-4 more and sit.......

best wishes for healing

thank you for your replay- explanation, ssr1975!  I appreciate it. I can't  really rely on my family they can't really get it and we  don't had good relationships...  I  started to feel  stressed  bc , of my sxs.  I was  always able to go shopping even dragging myself and  it suddenly became difficult, so I thought I'm screwed.. I do have a friend which sometimes we have done groceries together. I'm looking for online delivery service. but being so alone  and in wd can really get you to a low place.. thanx god I have a roof over my head I just didn't imagine my live to be so  scary... anyway thxs for the inspiration :smitten: I am looking for some sort of counselling best wishes xx

• 2 years later...

You're awesome and such a huge inspiration, SSR1975. I quit benzo and 2 antidepressants cold turkey at the same time. 

I am doing my best following your advice to avoid negative thoughts such as  "won't heal" and "permanently damaged" This is a huge work in progress for me but I do believe you that this is necessary for healing.

How did you survive the super terrible days? Especially the mental symptoms? My distraction tactics ain't working.