Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

titration method - details questions

[Ta...]

Hi Colin and other bbs,

I started my titration today but I ran into few problems. First, after I thought I crushed the tablet really well (with the back of a spoon) and put some milk in it, I realized that all of the med was not totally dissolved. I noticed the yellow powder left in the cup after I poured it into the cylinder. Then I added more milk, "washed out" the cup w/it and filled the cylinder. Well, milk froth confused me and I had little more than 100 ml.... I disposed about 2ml to come to 99.

I am really not sure that the benzos dissolved and that I disposed really what I had to. I am so worried about this since I need to be precise.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to do it right? I used 2% homogenized milk (is it better to use less or more fat percent milk?) Should I warm it up?

Can I do this at night and then use it in the morning?

Thanks so much. I am so worried that I will not be able to do it right....

Tanya

Hi Tanya,

I've never actually used titration, but have read a lot descriptions of how other people managed it.

A pestle and mortar would probably be best, as a finer powder will ensure better distribution.

A higher fat milk can only help.

2ml from 101ml is almost exactly the same as 2ml from 100ml, so I'd just consider it as 2ml from 100ml. In fact, we cannot measure accurately enough to say which dose is smaller or larger at those numbers. The method is stall far more accurate than pill-splitting though.

I think that if you grind the pill, making sure everything is completely dry, you will obtain a finer powder. Once you ground it to as fine a powder as possible, you could then add a little milk and grind it again. I would then pour it into the cylinder, add some more milk to the pestle (or cup) and swill out the residue to the cylinder again. Then, slowly, top up the cylinder to 100ml. It should then just require a thorough stirring to ensure that benzo is evenly distributed.

If you are still unsure, you could use water instead. This way you would be able to see how the powder is distributed. You probably would need a electric hand blender to 'whiz' up the liquid though, immediately bore you make your reduction or pour off your required dose.

Thanks Colin or is it Colon?  :laugh:

I've just had a talk with my ex-husband, who is very supportive of my taper and knows how to make people feel strong, even for a short time (now you'll all think I am a total nut).... and I decided not to obsess about how precise this all is. OK, so it isn't. But, I'll just go ahead and keep going towards being benzo-free. One way or another, I will succeed.

My love to all of you... Jillie and pebbles and others who don't sleep well - hang in there, you will sleep soon. Good night.

Hi, Tanya,

Yes, it's okay to make your mixture the night before. Just be sure that you shake it well before dividing it up into doses if it's sat in your fridge all night.

Therese

Therese, hi! For now I am only reducing my morning dose and taking 2 tablets the rest of the day. Do you recommend that I add those 2 and then divide the milk suspension in 3 parts (after appropriate disposal) this early in taper?

Thanks...

Hi Tanya,

I think it is useful to get into the habit of that now.

Make the reduction to the titrated tablet liquid, THEN add the other two powdered tablets. Reducing one tablet at a time is more accurate, and allows for smaller divisions.