Lamictal saved me for good!

[Al...]

Can I drag back this topic with some questions.

I'm on Lamictal, have been on 100mg for 2 years. It still is the only drug that helps slightly. It reduces my anxiety a bit still. I'm also terrified it's making things worse. My Dr. Thinks it's the last one to taper. Any idea if this is a good idea or not.

If I do it first will it help the rest or vice versa. The reduction in glutamate concerns me as I don't want those receptors trying to compensate again.

My pdoc got rid of it first. I'm so happy he did as to me it was a nightmare of a drug. Never again.

How so?

It made me a zombie. I slept all of the time and when I was awake, I still did nothing. My hubby got tired of me behaving this way so we split up. I could not work, and never felt like eating. I was barely able to take care of my dogs, never mind showing them. I became isolated. Once I was finished the rapid taper I went back to my baseline. I was on this drug for 10+ years. Once I am off everything, nobody can force me to ever take a psych med again. If they want to, they will have to 5150 me..............

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ra...]

• [Am...]

• [co...]

• [Al...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I drag back this topic with some questions.

I'm on Lamictal, have been on 100mg for 2 years. It still is the only drug that helps slightly. It reduces my anxiety a bit still. I'm also terrified it's making things worse. My Dr. Thinks it's the last one to taper. Any idea if this is a good idea or not.

If I do it first will it help the rest or vice versa. The reduction in glutamate concerns me as I don't want those receptors trying to compensate again.

My pdoc got rid of it first. I'm so happy he did as to me it was a nightmare of a drug. Never again.

How so?

It made me a zombie. I slept all of the time and when I was awake, I still did nothing. My hubby got tired of me behaving this way so we split up. I could not work, and never felt like eating. I was barely able to take care of my dogs, never mind showing them. I became isolated. Once I was finished the rapid taper I went back to my baseline. I was on this drug for 10+ years. Once I am off everything, nobody can force me to ever take a psych med again. If they want to, they will have to 5150 me..............

I'm having the opposite happen and it lifts my energy slightly. I do feel real strange if I forget to take it a day.

I keep getting bad night sweats where I literally have to wake up and change several times a night. This is at 150mg lamictal and 20mg celexa but I'm also adding in Prozac to switch to it. When I lower the lamictal to 100 it reduces the sweats but also benefits.

I was prescribed lamictal when I went to the hospital for a withdrawal seizure.  I was under the impression that it wouldn't help any other symptoms and was planing on stopping it soon.  Does it really help with anxiety or insomnia?

I have been just prescribed Lamictal. I am nervous to start taking because of possible negative reaction(because we seem to be more sensitive to medications, due to benzo damage).

Those of you who have given it a valid shot, what did your titration entail? What symptoms did you have, and what amount of time did it take for it them to resolve?

If or when I start taking this medication, I will keep you all updated, just to add another testimonial to whether it helps or doesn't help in the battle we are all fighting. In order to be the most visible, Should I start a new thread, or keep to this one?

Day two of being on 25mg Lamictal. The only things I am noticing is that I have a bad headache, and a little bit of tinnitus.

The heat that is normally emanating from my body has been reduced to just pockets of heat in my legs, back and face. Which is great because normally my entire face and body is flushed.

I am very aware of any itch or sensitivity in my mouth and throat...probably hyper aware.:)

My anxiety has seemed to have lessened,  and the random smells of ammonia burn in my nose has not happened as often.

Those are the things I'be noticed thus far.

I know it's too early to tell, but it seems promising.

I'll keep you updated on my progress.

I am one week into Lamictal, and noticing a gradual improvement. I have seizure-like symptoms that that are becoming less often and less severe(ammonia burning sensation in my nose, vision disturbances, heat spots dissipating) The anxiety is lessening as well. I still have rough days, but I find that I am having more windows of feeling good than I have had in a long time.

With the fact that I am only on the first week and the lowest dosage(25 mg), I am looking forward to seeing the results of when I get to increase my dose.

• 7 months later...
[ea...]

I am one week into Lamictal, and noticing a gradual improvement. I have seizure-like symptoms that that are becoming less often and less severe(ammonia burning sensation in my nose, vision disturbances, heat spots dissipating) The anxiety is lessening as well. I still have rough days, but I find that I am having more windows of feeling good than I have had in a long time.

With the fact that I am only on the first week and the lowest dosage(25 mg), I am looking forward to seeing the results of when I get to increase my dose.

Any updates on Lamictal? It's been offered to me by my shrink so any advice or experiences would be appreciated.

Staz

• 7 months later...

Was just prescribed lamictal today for the dp dr ....scared to try it because of the rash

I didn’t get SJS, but a “benign” rash that was terrible. If you want to feel like shit from benzo and look like shit fromlanictal go for it

Ha I already look like shit. I don’t even look like the same person as two years ago or even a year ago.

I will take almost anything that would help (this from a person who was so afraid to take pills that i had to go to the psych ward take my first antidepressant and benzo.) I was so afraid to need something possibly for life.  Back then I thought it saved me. Now look at me. This isn’t living at all.

I would take it but sjs is terrifying in my already terrified state.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Being off but in wd from other psych drugs but being on or considering going on Lamictal with the *plan* to heal while on this drug is a thought I will never understand.

Especially Lamictal is a drug that will not allow healing from benzo wd since it directly works on Glutamate (which is the *partner* of GABA. BOTH have to be left alone in order to heal!!!!! I was 4 years off benzos and still beyond crazy because I was still on Lamictal. I had to quit Lamictal ct because the drug was killing me. Benzo wd was a walk in the park compared to the wd of this antiepileptic drug. I still habe seizures 25 months after quitting the drug while I never had them before. Lamictal is a sheer nightmare.

What this drug actually does is frying the brain (to prevent seizures). But it will also fry the brain of a person that doesn't take it for seizures. Stop playing around with your brains, guys, unless the next support group you want to join is the *Lamictal withdrawal from hell* group where people go on benzos to make it off Lamictal. There ain't no short way out of this.