• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ra...]

• [Am...]

• [co...]

• [Al...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Americano and all,

During my meeting with my psychiatrist yesterday, we discussed the non-benzo options in more detail, looking at what I am experiencing more as bipolar with underlying anxiety, than just pure anxiety.  Honestly, I did not "feel" the bipolar aspect of it all until about 3 months ago, which would be 1 year after reinstating on valium.  I wish we had tried a few other things before valium, but man it sure did help at first.

He might not be the greatest psychiatrist, but he did say something that I found very helpful, "It does not matter how we got here, the question is, how do we get out?"

He suggested all of the mood stabilizers, as well as most of the atypical anti-psychotics known to help with bipolar depression and anxiety, and told me to research and we will talk again soon.

My number one concern with all of them is gastro.  My IBS is brutal.  I eat 1 meal a day at 9:30 pm after my sleep meds have quieted my gastro down enough that the food will not make me sick.

Right now, after looking up everything, the two leaders are Lamitcal and Lithium.  I am going to start another thread, but my question to Alesii, Americano, and all those who are trying Lamitcal, is did it upset your gastro?  Especially if you had gastro issues to begin with?

Be well and good luck,

Ramcon1

Lithium can really affect your thyroid function and cause hypothyroidism.  I know a man who took it and it really trashed his thyroid gland.

Americano,

I am going to be a little selfish here, sorry, but I think this question might benefit others as well.  My IBS is mixed, so I never know what I am going to get, it is never normal, but the worst part is my "reactiveness" to food and that I "feel" my gastro tract all day long.  I eat one meal a day just before I go to sleep when my gastro is at its quietest.

With psyche meds I have tried in the past, after anywhere from the first to at most the fourth day, they left me on the couch clutching my gut in agony for a week until I cleared them.  I THINK it was due to the boost in serotonin they gave, which my gut does not need, and Lamitcal is not supposed to give, but you know how it is with meds, you never know what you are going to get.

My point is, if you do not mind, share or PM me what you baseline gastro is, and how it feels on "x" mg of lamitcal every few days or if it changes.

And we are not allowed to give medical advice, so IF I WERE YOU, I would increase very slowly and not feel obligated to get to the "normal" therapeutic dose of 100 mg or more.  I have read enough post on other boards from users who felt much better from as little as 25 mg/day and 50 was common.

Thank you,

Ramcon1

My stomach is very weak/sensitive . Alcohol is the worst cant tolerate it at all. I agree seretonin meds tend to not do so well, compared to downers for instance which don't seem to cause any problem. Can't say much about lamictal as I'm not far in and have been using other drugs which is pretty normal for me, binge purge type behavior even not related to drugs.

Just tought I'd give you some update on this.

I literally feel like my old self, although I'm still having quick and short anxiety "shocks", I couldn't care less because of how awesome I feel 96% of time.

I still don't know if it's BPD or BZ W/D which it helps, but that also I don't care and will come obvious when I start lowering my lamictal dose, but before that I am really, really enjoying my life.

I'm taking 100mg in the morning, but I've been thinking that maybe I switch it to evening and see if I feel better in the morning since now I still have "hard" (yeah right...) mornings before lamictal kicks in.

Peace!

Alesii,

That is great news!  Did/does it have ANY effect on your gastro whatsoever?

Hope it continues to work well.  Remember, we cannot give medical advice etc. but I have read quite a bit on line that for many people "less is more."  If you feel great at 100 or even when you drop to 75, I would not let anyone pressure me into upping the dose.

Hope it continues to go well, and please let me know about gastro effects.

Be well and good luck,

Ramcon1

Alesi - Just wondering if you are still taking the Valdoxan or if you are just taking the Lamicital?

thank you,

Also, has anyone else chimed in on this thread with their experiences? I have seen one bad one but nothing else. Seems to have some fairly good reviews on the web but who knows what that means these days.

I have a whole bunch of Lamictal I was on it for about 9 months did a half assed taper and didn't have any w/d from it. Was up to 150/200mg at the end can't remember.  I might give this a try if things get worse.

Alesii,

That is great news!  Did/does it have ANY effect on your gastro whatsoever?

Hope it continues to work well.  Remember, we cannot give medical advice etc. but I have read quite a bit on line that for many people "less is more."  If you feel great at 100 or even when you drop to 75, I would not let anyone pressure me into upping the dose.

Hope it continues to go well, and please let me know about gastro effects.

Be well and good luck,

Ramcon1

Yeah I'm not going to up the dosage. I used to be on 100mg some time ago, but quit due to effects on working memory. I'm not sure what you mean by gastro effects, but I haven't seen any notable effects on my stomach.

Alesi - Just wondering if you are still taking the Valdoxan or if you are just taking the Lamicital?

thank you,

No, I forgot to change my signature. I only took valdoxan for one month, but didnt find any real relief from it, except maybe I slept a bit deeper.

I took Lamictal 25 mg about 4 hrs ago and feel terrible.

If it does not help me sleep. I'm not able to continue.

Sorry, I'm unable to concentrate enough to describe how I feel.

Maybe some other time.

Things that work great for some don't have to work for others.

We all have different conditions.

I just hope not to die during my sleep.

I'm extra sensitive to meds, that's a fact.

Please, always start from the lowest dose possible.

Pdoc told me to start from 25 mg and I listened to him. Why was I such a moron?

Pdocs are not the ones who take these drugs!

I had no life today since I took this pill. Felt like a vegetable. My brain stopped working.

Which doesn't mean someone may feel great on it. Depends on the illness one has.

I just want to survive.

Alessi, I'm very happy Lamictal worked for you and another person I met here.

Good you wrote this post.

I just regret I'm such an idiot that I still have to take sth because it works for somebody.

Without taking into account the issues this person has and I have.

I just regret being stupid enough to think a med would solve everything.

Lamictal spent two years in my drawer. I was afraid to touch it.

I used to read all possible medical reports.

Seems like I have regressed mentally by two years.

Estee,

Do not panic.  You have not regressed mentally by 2 years.  The med sucked some glutamate out of you.  Normal.  Drug half life is only about 30 hours, so if it is not right for you you will be the same as you were in about 3-4 days tops.  But.  If you have problems with anxiety, panic, or moods that swing from almost manic to very sad, you might not want to give up on it.  But that is what it for.  Those three things.  Anxiety.  Panic. Mood swings.  If those are not your problems, then this med is probably not for you.  That is what my psychiatrist prescribed for to me.

My plan is to take 1/2 pill, 12.5 mg Wednesday night before sleep, and see what happens. If it does not make me gastrically sick, I am going to stay at that dose for a week, and then try 25.  Slow and steady.  But again, those are my issues, and those are the issues with which Lamitcal can help.

Don't panic.  Breathe.  Think.  Then act.

Be well and good luck,

ramcon1

Colley and all,

Today is a bad day for me.  I rallied hard to see docs and get info several days in a row on poor sleep.  I am just hanging on today.  I will update my functional medicine thread and chime in on this again when I feel better and certainly here after I have tried Lamitcal myself.

Ramcon1

Well I figured I'd chime in. I was titrating up lamictal, left my pills somewhere for a few days, and am now starting back on it at 25mg. Haven't noticed anything drastic, especially now that I have baclofen and gabapentin, which have noticeable effect. Will update.

Hey Ramcon,

Yes, I have those three symptoms: panic, anxiety, mood swings. I was diagnosed with dysthymia, OCD, social phobia, insomnia, eating disorders etc. Benzo addiction came as a result.

Lamictal made me totally numb and dizzy. I couldn't get anything done. Then I could not sleep. I should have taken 1/4 of that 25 mg pill, but I stupidly followed pdoc's advice.

I felt very well the next day, but still did not get anything done. I'm a task-oriented person. Action saves me from despair. Even chores at home, cause I'm mostly housebound. Benzo-induced agoraphobia and apathy.

I spent way too much time here the next day after Lamictal. As though the mails could not wait. They could.

Today I feel like it's the worst day of my life. Someone disappointed me very badly yesterday. I overdosed on benzos. It was a terrible overdose and I'm gonna suffer dire consequences.

Did I overreact emotionally? Yes, to a great extent. I'm very vulnerable since June 7, 2017. I deleted my account on the forum which became my life for a year. Spent 12 hrs a day on that forum. Neglected everything in my life. My Kitty, me, my appartment, few real friends left. The forum was not related to any illness. This was a Facebook-type forum, 1000 times worse than Fb.

OK, what was the role of discontinuing Lamictal 25 mg so abruptly in what happened this night? I mean in this benzo overdose? I just wanted to sleep, but could not stop crying. Could not sleep cause of the mental pain.

If you have insomnia, taking 1/2 of Lamictal 25 mg at night may be risky.

You listed symptoms. I think psychiatric diagnosis is more important. Lamictal works great for people with Bipolar Disorder. If you've got this, Lamictal will probably help you a lot.

I don't know if I shall give it another try. 1/4 of Lamictal 25 mg.

Today I'm so desperate I'm probably not gonna mess around with meds. I need time to heal and understand. That the person who hurt me was a very evil human being. Yes, I believe in evil people. I'm good and decent. Expect everyone to be the same. Always have. One of the biggest mistakes of my life.

Take care.

Americano,

I think gabapentin is worthless, but it gets mixed reviews here.  I took it when I was healthy, and all it did was give me GERD. I am interested in how you do on baclofen.  A lot of members, myself included,  have a lot of issues with stiffness.  Mine are not too bad, but others are really suffering with it. 

Selfishly and scientifically, I wish you were on only lamitcal OR baclofen so we would know what is doing what.

But do yourself a favor, and be consistent and take notes.  I know they say do not give medical advice, but I will encourage common sense: do NOT take lamitcal or baclofen inconsistently.  Lamitical needs to be taken everyday tapered up or down or held, but everyday, and you should not stop baclofen abruptly.

Be well and good luck,

Ramcon1

Estee,

I just looked at your signature.  That is an awful lot of polydrugging.  What do you mean benzo overdose?  How much of what did you take?  And yeah give it a few days to clear.

If you can, update your signature, with what you are taking NOW, not including the benzo overdose.

I am still going to try 1/2 pill on Wednesday night.  It is SUPPOSED to make one drowsy, not cause insomnia, so I am going to hedge my bet that way.

Ramcon1

Hey Ramcon,

Now I take Prozac 20 mg in the morning and 20-40 Valium at night. Depends on how I sleep. That's at the end of my profile.

Don't want to talk about this overdose. But haven't taken such an amount this year.

I was polydrugged since 16 yrs of age, as I'm very sick. Want this profile to stay as it is, cause I went through hell for the most of my life. Except 11 benzo-free years (2003-2014).

Pdocs even think I could stay on 5-10 mg Valium. Harm reduction. I've been unable to sleep since childhood.

The benzo I took last night was for sleep. I think I should log out.

I'm not able to write or interact today. All I can do is cry.

Will be trying to do stuff around the house. Maybe I need to cry it out.

I don't even know if it does make sense to call my therapist. I always feel like an intruder when I call her. She will not understand me anyway. No one will.

I always escape into Valium-induced sleep, when I cannot cope emotionally.

This is more and more rare.

The worst thing that could happen this year happened. I'm not talking about this overdose. I will progressively get stable.

If something happened to my Kitty, it would be worse. She's all I've got in life.

OK, I'm unable to help anyone and unable to vent.

I'd better log out. Cause the more I write the more I cry and it's starting to be hysterical.

I know only action can save me. Doing stuff around the house.

The suffering is such I'm unable to write about it.

Estee,

Distraction is good.  Do that for a few days for sure.  Come bcak here when you feel better.

I cannot sleep since childhood either.  20-30 mg is a lot of V.  Have you tried anything besides a benzo or Z-drug for sleep? I now take 20-26 mg melatonin, 20-25 mg mirtazapine, AND 6-7 mg Valium.

I am not sure if I will ever be able to give up benzos either.  I am going to try to taper again soon, depending on other factors.

Hope you feel better soon.

PS  I would be surprised if the Lamitcal contributed to insomnia. 

Call to all, Did anyone taking Lamitical find his/her sleep got worse?

Be well and good luck,

Ramcon1

Dropped 10 mg of Nortriptyline I was trying. Did a week and half on, couldn't stand the side effects. Took a week off and felt even worse. Started again at 10 mg... same side effects (increased T, resting heart rate way up, wired and tired, dizziness when standing up quickly or exercising, just overall not a great feeling)  for a week and tapered 2 days on 5 mg. Yesterday 0. I know you have to take this for 6-8 weeks but there is no way I can get into a therapeutic dosage with these kind of side effects.

Started 25 mg Lamictal today. Felt something a couple of hours later... not sure if it's placebo or not. Will update this thread in a few days with side's and / or benefits. My goal is to up my dosage if things get better - I will only hold at 25 mg if there is significant improvement which I doubt. I'm pretty sure you need to get to the 50 - 100 mg range for what I'm trying to use it for; anxiety / depression / mental and mood stability.

Good luck all.