My relationship with antidepressants

[...]

Ewww.

Summer the Saint.

Well, Miss, Miss HIGH AND MIGHTY.... lol j/k

Joking of course. Summer you have a very lovable attitude and I always enjoy your posts.

Tomorrow (today) will be day six of the switch to Zoloft and all is well. I REALLY undured a bout with depression while on Celexa, you might be remember that lasted DAYS. It remains unexplained, because hell I'll been on the stuff for several months. In the beginning, I daresay Celexa helped me better than anything before it.

Sigh..... The damnedable physchropics. Life-safers for some, and just big mess for others.

I just find it hard to understand why people are here because their doctor (In most cases) got them addicted to one medication and they so want to get off it yet happy their doctor just prescribed them a new medication that is also addictive, has side effects and has tolerance, withdrawal and protracted withdrawal similar to benzodiazepines. I have symptoms of debilitating panic attacks and agoraphobia from Xanax tolerance. For me the only way to cure this is to get off the Xanax that is causing my problems and never again take a medication that is addictive and can reach tolerance and withdrawal. I do have occasional insomnia since starting my taper but would never consider an addictive sleep aid to help with a very temporary problem. I’m not being judgmental I just don't understand it

Dave 

Dave, I agree about not taking any more poison.  I have withdrawn from 30 mgs of Temazepam and it took me 8 months.  I have been free since 07-07-07.  During this

time I have experienced depression like it is straight from hell.  You have heard of the

phrase, "wailing and knashing of teeth".  I fully understand the depths of that statement and to think it was caused by something pill that is supposed to prevent

or stop anxiety and depression, that is what's crazy.  Just read the side effects of some of these drugs. :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

I just find it hard to understand why people are here because their doctor (In most cases) got them addicted to one medication and they so want to get off it yet happy their doctor just prescribed them a new medication that is also addictive, has side effects and has tolerance, withdrawal and protracted withdrawal similar to benzodiazepines. I have symptoms of debilitating panic attacks and agoraphobia from Xanax tolerance. For me the only way to cure this is to get off the Xanax that is causing my problems and never again take a medication that is addictive and can reach tolerance and withdrawal. I do have occasional insomnia since starting my taper but would never consider an addictive sleep aid to help with a very temporary problem. I’m not being judgmental I just don't understand it

Dave 

Well, my view is that it is up to the individual if they take the medication or not. Only they are in the full possession of their life situation, and it is their body. It is for them to weight up the pros and cons. However, they should have all the facts available to them - how many of us were given the full facts about benzos before we started to take them? Most of us are here because of problems that developed during the time we were taking the benzodiazepines, or because of the difficulties encountered when we tried to quit.

So, we don't have to understand. Though, we might be concerned if we think that there is some important information that isn't being taken into consideration when someone starts to take a new medication. Most of the time, taking a medicine is a trade off between benefits, and side-effects and risks. For someone to make an informed choice they must, of course, be in possession of the pertinant facts! Most of the time, we are not.

I am glad to see a more open minded approach to A/D's here than at the BenzoIsland forum. I am unable to be honest there because they would ream me a new you-know-what. Fact is I take Lexapro now and I don't think I would be able to taper my Diazepam without it. I was pretty much constantly depressed for most of my life before and I sense that had I stayed on A/D's alone I'd probably be doing a lot better than I am ... It was the benzos that really screwed me up badly. I'm down from equivalent of 40-50 mg Valium per day to 5 now. I just hope I can get to zero and my GABA receptors heal quickly. I am lucky that I DO have great windows of relief between w/d s/x's so that gives me hope. I have to get better so that I can get back to work. As it is I am too emotionally unstable and the "cog fog", though lifting, is still prevalent. My job requires stamina, concentration, analytical skills, and a good memory ... that is, the job I had for 30 years anyway. :(

Nice to meet you all! Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Tony 

I have been free since 07-07-07.

Carol...

Wow!! Now that's kewl

Clean date: 07-07-07

Hehe, and had to chuckle when you said you just read of the possible side-effects. lol, lol

As in ADs: 'side effects may include possible intrusive thoughts of suicide'

Ok 'scuse but but uhm.... WHAT?

And the benzos: 'possible side-effects and adverse reations may in include mood-changes, restlessness, amnesia, rage'

COME AGAIN??

The best line I've ever seen (can't remember the medicines)--'sgot to go down in sort of historical, pharmaceutical satire book:

"adverse reactions reported have included... [such and such]... and death'

Some of those ads, man.... and you know they done gone mainstream, now: Yep. You can walk into your doctor's office and REQUEST a drug because you saw it on TV, for crying out loud. (My GOD they're now openly pushing Effexor XR. Just saw it during the evening the news. Is not that one of if not the nastiest drugs to EVER discontinue??)

I--not moral grounds--but on professional ethics grounds--despise the TV advertisements of Rx medication.

WRONG MEDIUM, PURE GREED.

Ten