Seroquel Support Group

[be...]

Hey Gard,

Just curious, How did you know That it was time to come off of seroquel? Did you sleep just feel more stable? Also, did you have any sleep interruptions during your taper?  I have read that some peoples sleep get better as they go lower. I dont have any plans to come off anytime soon but I am just trying to be prepared. Wish I would have done this kind of research before I came off of benzo's.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [be...]

• [Co...]

• [lo...]

Hey Gard,

Just curious, How did you know That it was time to come off of seroquel? Did you sleep just feel more stable? Also, did you have any sleep interruptions during your taper?  I have read that some peoples sleep get better as they go lower. I dont have any plans to come off anytime soon but I am just trying to be prepared. Wish I would have done this kind of research before I came off of benzo's.

I wish I had known about Xanax, too, before I tried to get off of it so quickly. Would have saved me years of suffering. Thank God for the internet. I was raising 2 teenagers alone when I was going through Xanax hell. I don't know what would have happened to them or me if I had stayed with the pharma-psych system. Don't like to even think about it or about all of those lost years.

I was put on the Xanax for severe sleep disturbance attributed to PTSD. So, basically, the benzo was a sleeping pill. It worked for about 4 weeks and then the interdose withdrawal started and then the descent into hell started.

When I finished my benzo taper, and felt like I was over the worst of the withdrawal, and had successfully tapered away some of my gabapentin, I decided to just see how low I could get on the Q and still sleep. I was motivated because the Q hangover in the morning was so awful, whereas the gabapentin didn't seem to be impacting me much. Low and behold, the answer was I could get to zero. If I had stopped sleeping, I would have stopped tapering.

I now sleep better than I did before I ever took a single pill, and I think I know why, but that's a long story! The moral of it is most psychiatrists do not know as much as they think they do and their bias against their own patients causes their patients great harm.

Thats great to hear that your sleeping even better now. I sure hope thats how it works out for me. I was glancing thru this thread and it seems that most have been able to come off of seroquel fairly easy. My only concern is I am on a moderately high dose of 150mg. I have only been on it about 4 weeks though so tonight I am going to try 100mg and see if I can still get enough sleep.

• 2 weeks later...

I cut seroquel from 500 to 300 over a month, hit 300 on 12/12/22.

Since then, I am not responding to the xanax, and am getting worse and worse. It does not help, and makes me feel worse. I can drop to a low dose I can barely feel just so I dont go into shock.

I am acute, and its getting worse, especially this last week.

Could this be seroquel wd catching up to me? I have a doctor appointment in a week.

Comprehensive patient friendly paper on seroquel. Includes side affects while on the med, and discontinuation. everything I was looking for is here, and more. Interestingly, it states that seroquel stops working as an antipsychotic after 2 years, and patients who removed it did better than those who did not.

https://www.alternativetomeds.com/blog/seroquel-2/#symp

This is kind of long, but it has all the pertinent data I think many of us want. You folks tell me if it's toolong, and I will cut it. This was last adjusted this year, so it is recent.

Seroquel recovery

all effects, then wd effets.

seroquel psychosis in here. Very informative.

There can be a wide range of side effects from this medication, from mild to moderate to severe. Not everyone experiences identical side effects of substance use, such as those listed here. Always discuss changes that occur while on Seroquel with your prescribing physician. The following is not a conclusive list of side effects; if you’re experiencing other reactions to Seroquel, consult your doctor or a medical professional.5

Common side effects could include:

Vertigo/dizziness

Abnormal physical weakness

Nausea

Constipation

Appetite changes

Weight gain

Drowsiness/fatigue

Dryness of the mouth

Low sodium levels

Nightmares

Disturbed sleep

Sleepwalking, sleep-driving, etc.*

Lightheadedness

Tachycardia (elevated heart rate at rest)

Less common, but more severe adverse effects should be carefully monitored and could include suicidality (ideation and behavior; especially noted in younger patients under age 25), tardive dyskinesia, tachycardia, movement disorders, involuntary repeating movements, tremors, cataracts in eyes, slowed heartbeat, sleep apnea, diabetes, abnormal liver function or liver failure, seizures, stroke (especially in elderly patients), pancreatitis, amnesia, hepatitis, and rarely, Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome.

Sleepwalking or other normal activities during sleep — sleep-driving, sleep shopping, sleep-texting, etc. — of which the person has no memory can also occur.

High blood sugar, possibly extreme and associated with diabetic acidosis, coma, or death, has also been reported in patients treated with Seroquel.

Seroquel (Quetiapine) Withdrawal Symptoms

Stopping Seroquel abruptly will frequently evoke a wide range of withdrawal symptoms, generally referred to as Seroquel (Quetiapine) Discontinuation Syndrome.8 If the decision to come off Seroquel is made, stopping should never be done abruptly unless to avert a life-threatening reaction such as NMS. Always seek medical oversight and guidance for safety.

Even when slowly tapering off of the drug, there can still be some significant Seroquel withdrawal symptoms. These symptoms might be more severe if the patient took the medication for a very long time, and at high dosages. Our Seroquel tapering page goes into the nuances of tapering strategies based upon the duration of use. A list of just some of the reported Seroquel withdrawal symptoms follows.Common symptoms of Seroquel withdrawal

Seroquel withdrawal symptoms may include:

Suicidal ideation or behavior

Seroquel Withdrawal Rebound Psychosis

Rebound mania

Psychotic symptoms that did not exist prior to taking antipsychotics

Insomnia

Hypersensitivity to light, sound, temperature, all sensory perceptions

Vomiting

Headaches

Racing heart, tachycardia, hypertension

Unusual mood swings that can change rapidly

Loss of appetite

Nausea

Dizziness

Anxiety

Agitation

Loss of concentration

Depression

Excessive sweating

Dysphoric unease with life

Some limited reports of withdrawal dyskinesia

Abrupt or fast Seroquel withdrawal can cause a rebound psychosis. Ample caution and patience for a slow withdrawal are warranted.

Everyone has a different set of withdrawal symptoms, and in that way, there is no one-size-fits-all description.

However, the most consistent symptoms we have seen at Alternative to Meds Center are:

Seroquel Withdrawal Rebound Psychosis

Rebound mania

Insomnia

Loss of appetite

Suddenly not sleeping, not eating, and acting manic when enduring Seroquel withdrawal is a sure sign that things are most likely going too fast and that the rate of withdrawal needs to be slowed down.

There are instances where people without prior psychotic symptoms experienced withdrawal psychosis when stopping neuroleptics such as Seroquel.

Seroquel Withdrawal Timeline[/b]

Seroquel withdrawal symptoms are different for everyone. Withdrawal can be broken into three phases: new withdrawal, rebound withdrawal, and Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome.

Phase 1: New Withdrawal

Studies indicate that most withdrawal symptoms occur during the first four weeks of stopping antipsychotic drugs.8 They often start one to four days after discontinuing medication and last up to six weeks, sometimes lessening during that period. Symptoms associated with cessation of quetiapine can include interruptions in sleep and insomnia, paresthesia (burning or prickling sensations), nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, hypertension (high blood pressure), an increased heart rate, agitation, anxiety, sweating, anorexia, and myalgia. Though rare, movement disorders can emerge upon abrupt withdrawal of neuroleptic medications. Restlessness or hyperkinesia may last longer, sometimes months.6,7,25

Phase 2: Rebound Withdrawal

Rebound withdrawal can occur concurrently with or last beyond the new withdrawal phase.8 The symptoms exhibited in rebound withdrawal are understudied and can vary greatly from individual to individual. It may not always be clear unless a comprehensive patient history is available whether symptoms are newly emerging as a result of drug withdrawal, or whether pre-medication symptoms are recurring. Research has suggested that the symptoms in rebound withdrawal are frequently more severe than symptoms experienced pre-medication.23

Phase 3: Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome

Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) is a term used to describe withdrawal symptoms that can persist weeks or even months after discontinuing certain drugs.9 PAWS is thought to occur because virtually all drugs can cause physiologic and neuroadaptive changes. During drug use, the brain and CNS adapt to accommodate changes in available neurotransmitters. When you discontinue the drug, neurotransmitters can change again, increasing excitability or causing other reactions.

Symptoms can include things like irritability, anxiety, obsessive-compulsive behaviors, difficulty maintaining social relationships, pessimism, disturbed sleep patterns, and greater sensitivity to stress.9

How Long Does Seroquel Stay in Your System?

The half-life of Seroquel is six hours. Theoretically, it takes approximately six hours to clear 50 percent of the active drug from your system after you stop taking it and 24 to 48 hours to completely clear it after cessation.10

However, the body adapts to the presence of medications. The longer Seroquel is taken, the more adaptations are likely to develop. As a result, it may take considerably longer for your body to recalibrate back to pre-medication states and reverse the antipsychotic-induced dopamine supersensitivity or other neuroadaptive changes.

Changing neuroadaptive states, often called “Seroquel withdrawal syndrome,” can continue to plague patients for weeks, months, or even years. A precisely calibrated diet and supplement regimen can be designed to provide the essential neurotransmitter precursors needed to repair and normalize, and possibly shorten these after-effects.

How to cope with Seroquel withdrawal

Natural Remedies

Many symptoms of Seroquel withdrawal can be treated using natural methods. For instance, studies have shown that poor nutrition can lead to depression, and an improved diet can likewise improve mental health.16 Improving nutrition by reducing carbohydrates and adhering to a Mediterranean diet high in Omega-3 fatty acids and other vital nutrients have been clearly associated with improved mental health.

Likewise, exercise has proven helpful in preventing depression.17,18 And yoga has been shown to decrease anxiety, depression, and stress significantly.1

Is It Safe To Quit Seroquel Cold Turkey?

Stopping Seroquel should rarely be done abruptly. In the vast majority of cases, antipsychotic withdrawal should be extremely gradual and attended with as much support as possible, including medical supervision, to help ease the person through to a successful outcome.

Abrupt cessation should only occur in rare cases where life-threatening reactions to the drug need to be controlled, such as NMS (neuroleptic malignant syndrome).

Does Seroquel Work Long-Term?

We are unable to find research demonstrating the long-term efficacy of antipsychotics like Seroquel.11 While Seroquel has an impressive ability to quickly thwart a psychotic event, and may even be life-saving in certain cases, the long-term use efficacy remains questionable.

Martin Harrow and colleagues recently published a study in the Feb 2021 edition of Psychological Medicine following patients with schizophrenia and schizoaffective psychosis for 20 years.12 Their results showed that those suffering from a severe mental illness who stopped taking medication within the first two years were six times more likely to recover than those who continued the antipsychotics.

“Even when the confound by indication for prescribing antipsychotic medication is controlled for, participants with schizophrenia and affective psychosis do better than their medicated cohorts.”

“These and previous data indicate that after 2 years, antipsychotics no longer reduce psychotic symptoms and participants not on antipsychotics perform better.” ~Harrow, Jobe & Tong, Journal of Psychological Medicine.12

The reason for the lack of long-term efficacy may be the way that the body adapts to the presence of the drug. According to three different independent researchers — Chouinard, Fallon, Harrow, and respective colleagues — there may be an antipsychotic-induced sensitivity to the dopamine receptors, termed drug-induced supersensitivity psychosis, as they attempt to compensate.13-15 This drug-induced perpetuation of psychosis is also termed tardive psychosis.

It cannot be said that all people do better off of antipsychotics. However, the research presents a strong case for investigating safe alternatives to antipsychotics like Seroquel for long-term treatment of symptoms.

Likewise, exercise has proven helpful in preventing depression.17,18 And yoga has been shown to decrease anxiety, depression, and stress significantly.19

Heavy metal toxicity testing and neurotoxin removal are fundamentals that may have been missed in earlier treatments. It is likely for many that toxicity played a role in symptoms for which no other reason was found to explain neurotransmitter imbalances.20 We have found that once the offending pollutants, chemical residues, heavy metals, food preservatives, industrial exposures, etc., have been isolated and gently purged, clients typically experience a resurgence in quality of sleep, appetite, energy, and mood.21

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried liquid tapering Quetiapine? What was your experience and what compounding pharmacy did you use?

Yes, I liquefied. I started with cutting and weighing tablets, but it was too much work, so I switched to dissolving. I made the liquid myself with just Q and water.

I dropped the tablet into a pint canning jar (that I bought at Michael's) with 100ml water. After that I never thought about tablets and mg any more. I thought about tapering away 100ml of liquid. I let it sit a few minutes while it disintegrated, shook it up, and drew out the night's dose. I put the rest in the refrigerator and used it for several days. I had no trouble with saving a batch for 4 or 5 days. I always shook the jar again before I drew a dose just to be safe. (Canning jar lids make tight seals.) I think my liquid taper was more accurate than my attempts at micro-tapering by cutting a tiny tablet. It was also an easier taper than the benzo.

I'm so sorry to see in your signature that you were hospitalized. I was, too, but only briefly. Our mental healthcare "hospitals" are a disgrace.

How much Q are you taking?

(P.S. I have had different brands of Q that will or will not disintegrate in water because of the binders used in the tablet. If you find you have one that does so easily, I would suggest asking to always get that brand.)

Thank you so much. My big problem is how my body seems to be reacting to the medication and the cuts. The drug has stopped working. I can barely fall asleep, and I wake up in the middle of the night with jerks and tachycardia every night. This started with my last cut of .5mg from 34.5 to 34mg. In addition to these side effects of the actual medication, four days after that decrease, I got a chest tremor, I started to have chest pains and muscle pains, leg shakes, and now I am having stomach and diaphragm pains. My diaphragm muscles get locked up, and I cannot breathe. And it is not anxiety. It happened after I ate last night. I am already 20 pounds underweight and trying to gain weight, so I am shocked; to be honest, I feel terror now taking this medication every night, which adds another layer to this already difficult situation.

I feel like I am back to square one of interdose withdrawal from Ativan. I cannot believe this. Doctors at a top-five hospital gave me this medication for insomnia, saying it would "calm my nervous system." I would be further along with the Ativan recovery if it were not for this. To make matters worse, the Ativan withdrawal gave me tinnitus. So I already feel like I cannot sleep or relax. Being in my own body feels like being tortured in a foreign prison.

SO HOW DO I GET OFF OF THIS MEDICATION QUICKLY AND SAFELY WITHOUT FURTHER DAMAGE? It is making me so sick.

I was literally on my knees praying for God to have mercy on me last night. I don't know how or if I can or if my body will survive another withdrawal period. Let alone live through any additional physical symptoms. I am already dealing with so many of the most unpleasant ones. I am avoiding polypharmacy at all costs as this isn't any quality of life for a person. I have been bedridden for about ten months now.

If you know of any other resources for help and support on what to do in this situation, please please help me.

I have lost everything to Ativan -- my health, happiness, relationships, finances, and work and now Seroquel is coming in to sweep up the floors after. 

I am trying to deutermine if an ongoing sxs I have is from seroquel. Or, from cutting xanax again after a disastrous attempt at cutting seroquel. Which is which? I don't know.

I started to cut the seroquel (still on xanax) because it quit working, and I hated the sxs. A few days in, a bomb went off, acute mental anguish (will get back to this) not anxiety, not psychosis, very hard to describe, but it is agony.

I reinstated almost to where I started, and waited. I seemed recovered, but, with my  next xanax cut (held until the seroquel mental anguish stopped) I started to experience the mental anguish again. Not right away, about day 7 , I am now on day 11 of the cut, and the mental anguish is getting worse every day.

I also am not sleeping on seroquel.

I am at a high dose (500) so I know I am hitting all the receptors.

I really want his agony to stop. I did updose the last 2 nights just to get some sleep, but  am going to go back down.

The issue is, this MENTAL ANGUISH. I absolutely cant describe it, but it is agony. I think some of it was histamine from reducing so much seroquel, but I thought I was recovered enough to move on.

I am really trying to find out if anyone else got mental anguish, independent of psychosis, and if they found a way to deal with it dose wise.

I am at my wits end.

Thank you friends

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, Just checking in. I was hospitalized (medical hospital, not psych) for my terrible symptoms, dropping 1.5 percent of my Quetiapine dose to 34mg. I had the worst pain imaginable -- felt like electricity was running through my body for days, inner vibrations, convulsions, muscle shakes, and spasms...the list goes on. WAY worse than benzo withdrawal. However, it might have been due to that since it has been 5.5 months off of Ativan, and maybe the Q was masking the benzo withdrawal. The doctors couldn't tell if it was an adverse medication reaction or withdrawal. Either way, it was a total nightmare, and I was already in so much pain.

Interestingly, the benzo symptoms I had were replaced by these new symptoms. So neck spasms and head pressure have been gone since this new wave started. Tinnitus has significantly improved, and I have had some improvement in hyperacusis. TMJ had improved until yesterday when I started to have worse health anxiety -- thinking about when and how I will get better.

The hospital lowered me to 30mg Q and watched me for seven days. They put me on 7.5mg of Mirtazapine which I then declined after four doses. I don't think it masked anything, and the symptoms haven't resolved from the Q but thank God they are not what they were initially. The hospital ran every test under the sun on me blood (cortisol, hormones, electrolytes etc etc etc), MRI, EEG, EKG -- I am healthy as a horse. This is crazy, considering how much my body feels like these medications have battered it.

The electricity turned to skin burning, which has improved slightly in the last 30 days since the initial reduction triggered all of this. Four doctors at this hospital, including a psychiatrist, told me to CT the Q, but I refused. The attending at the hospital told me I needed to taper "like a boot camp" no matter my symptoms. I found a compounding pharmacy to do a slower liquid taper.

I have been at the 30mg dose for two weeks since being dropped at the hospital. Today the burning has turned into palm and feet burning, arms and chest mainly. It is truly horrible but not as bad thank goodness. But I still have this inner vibration that is so disturbing. Oatmeal and coconut oil baths, along with cold sheets, somewhat help. I have had extreme depression again and am getting that restless anxiety I had in benzo withdrawal, but this time it's from the internal vibration. I take a cold shower, which makes me tired and more relaxed. I am in bed most days. Although I had a three-day window, I exercised an hour each day and then crashed. Exercise is supposed to be as effective as medication, so since I do not have medicines as an option, I have to do it. I will also have a friend come and work out with me this week to move. I am not using weights or doing anything drastic. Just moving my body.

I am sleeping up to 12 hours a night with some help from 3-4.5 mg of Melatonin which has helped mask the tachycardia when the Q wears off. If this is the lesser of evils and I have to take melatonin to sleep for awhile, I could care less. This is all I am taking now.

I want to start tapering the Quetiapine again and be off by September because it makes me feel sick. That will be under one year on this horrible medication I shouldn't have been prescribed in the first place. I honestly cannot believe after a benzo taper that I dug the hole even deeper agreeing to take this medication.

Laying in bed as long as I have has made me realize I was poly drugged in the past five years. That is a harsh realization to have and very scary. Also, I was taken off an antidepressant and Ativan too quickly in the last two and a half years. No wonder I have had such a hard time. In addition, I was given three rounds of TMS and Ketamine, had nasal surgery, etc... I feel like a worst-case scenario at this point, and I did not expect this. I just thought I had a rough benzo withdrawal and to be honest, the benzos I believe tipped the scale in the wrong direction.

I want to keep the faith. I have spoken with people who were put on 50-60 drugs in short periods and have healed. Including many during their benzo withdrawals. One person I know has successfully tapered Klonopin after a bad CT, reinstatement, and seven psych drugs in 1.5 years. This person was put on 44 drugs in ten years and has had bad symptoms but is OK tapering the last medication now. I speak with them daily. That being said, I have also read the horror stories of people who have had horrific symptoms for years. I can't believe the body can live through an ordeal like this.

I have no choice but to get off this Q and stay off all meds, as they disagree with my system. The trick is tapering slowly enough to have a tolerable experience and not triggering any further unwanted side effects. I think the fact that I had a three-day window might be a good sign, but at this point, who really knows?

I welcome any words of wisdom or positive support.

I had a friend look on that site for me since I am too afraid to take in more information on this topic in this vulnerable state. Are there other members here who might have some insights?

• 2 weeks later...

First a question for  Rebecca29. Do you think going to the hospitol helped? It sounds like you were suffering so much. Are you feeling any better?

Then, just an update since i foolishly cut my 500 seroquel to 250. I did reinstate, but have not recovered. Was better for a while, until I started cutting the xanax again. My pdoc wants me to get the xanax  down, so i feel I have no choice, and thats ok .I am just in such acute distress. Today has been one of the worst. The xanax doesn't help it. I am out of my mind and terrified of everything right now.

I am terrified of my doctor, but I know logically I need to see him to discuss this whole mess. As soon as I calm down, I can communicate it.

I can see the logic, but I cant feel it. I feel pure intense xanax wd and mental anguish.

I read that too much seroquel can cause serotonin syndrome. Off went my already freaked out state into more waves of panic attack.

I'm just venting. I am so sick and miserable.

First a question for  Rebecca29. Do you think going to the hospitol helped? It sounds like you were suffering so much. Are you feeling any better?

Then, just an update since i foolishly cut my 500 seroquel to 250. I did reinstate, but have not recovered. Was better for a while, until I started cutting the xanax again. My pdoc wants me to get the xanax  down, so i feel I have no choice, and thats ok .I am just in such acute distress. Today has been one of the worst. The xanax doesn't help it. I am out of my mind and terrified of everything right now.

I am terrified of my doctor, but I know logically I need to see him to discuss this whole mess. As soon as I calm down, I can communicate it.

I can see the logic, but I cant feel it. I feel pure intense xanax wd and mental anguish.

I read that too much seroquel can cause serotonin syndrome. Off went my already freaked out state into more waves of panic attack.

I'm just venting. I am so sick and miserable.

Hospital ruled out other issues. So helped in that way. Dosed me down and observed me. All

my docs want me off this crap but my body hasn’t been agreeing. I got withdrawal induced aka so the torture seems to have gotten even worse. Thank GOD burning skin stopped.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally found a psychiatrist who knows about Seroquel. It was no small feat. I searched high and low for one. He didn't tell me I have "FND" or some other BS diagnosis. He said he thinks I have withdrawal akathisia and dyskinesia—finally, someone who acknowledges Seroquel withdrawal and is trained to identify it.

Anyway, as you know, I have had some HORRENDOUS experiences tapering this drug. Worse than benzos by far. About three weeks ago, I started tapering 5 percent every month or two weeks to see how it would go. I am holding right now to get some foundation under my feet after a super rough time.

Rather than adding another medicine which none of my doctors want me to do, this new doc thought I might take the 28.5mg dose and divide it up during the day. His reasoning is to see if it helps the symptoms overall and makes it easier to taper.

I understand BenzoBuddies are not medical professionals...That being said, many of you have tapered this drug successfully.

Some questions:

1. Has anyone done this method due to bad sxs? How did it work for you?

2. Anything I might not be thinking about or aware of when making a change like this?

3. Once I make a dose change, could I be stuck on it even if it doesn't work well? There is a chance it could get easier as well, right? Gosh, that would be such a blessing.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I take the 28.5mg in liquid form at 10:30 pm nightly. I  have held through the worst of times and haven't updosed.

Here is what the new doc proposed in terms of dose change:

9am - 7mg

1pm - 7mg

5pm-7mg

10pm-7.5mg + 3mg melatonin

I had the following in mind: more medicine to aid sleep while going through this. Insomnia, on top of everything else, would not be sustainable.

8am - 4mg

12p - 4mg

4p - 4mg

8p - 4mg

10:30p - 12.5mg + 3mg melatonin

Current symptoms include:

--The akathisia, which goes in a hill and valley pattern, hasn't gone completely since benzos and has gotten physically worse with the last drop and now includes a feeling like my chest is going to explode or limbs could explode it's a horrific adrenaline rush that starts in chest and spreads

-- Inner vibration

--Pins and needles all over skin

--Numb hands

--Muscles feel like wood

--When eyes are closed, eyelids jump around more than usual

--Slight lower face/mouth twitch

--Tinnitus from the benzo or Gabapentin used for benzo wd. Tinnitus almost was gone then I had to take Benadryl to aid with the dyskinesia, and it got louder now is back to the baseline of going away

Obviously very cautious with these sxs but I cannot stay on this medication that is making me so sick! I wish my body had normal wd symptoms like nausea or a headache or, better yet, none at all.

I am also focusing on nutrition at the moment. Started a keto/carnivore diet today. Trying to gain the 10 plus pounds I have to gain from benzo wd. Thinking that could also make this easier.

God bless.

I've recently gone from taking 50 MG of seroquel for sleep to 100 mg of seroquel.  I also came off of trazodone at the same time.  It's been about 5 days and I feel absolutely horrible.  I don't' know if it's the withdrawal from the trazodone (which I was on for about 20 years) OR increase in seroquel.  I feel tired, shaky, sweating like crazy, headache and a bit down.  I've no clue what's going on.  I'm so tired of messing around with my meds. I see seroquel can really mess with your metabolism.  Could it be messing with my blood sugar level? I'm not diabetic though.

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently gone from taking 50 MG of seroquel for sleep to 100 mg of seroquel.  I also came off of trazodone at the same time.  It's been about 5 days and I feel absolutely horrible.  I don't' know if it's the withdrawal from the trazodone (which I was on for about 20 years) OR increase in seroquel.  I feel tired, shaky, sweating like crazy, headache and a bit down.  I've no clue what's going on.  I'm so tired of messing around with my meds. I see seroquel can really mess with your metabolism.  Could it be messing with my blood sugar level? I'm not diabetic though.

Seroquel can mess with glucose level. So yes.

Has anyone had to split a night time dose to try to taper more easily? If so, how have you done it? I am on 28mg just tapered 2 percent last night. Doctor is suggesting I split doses to alleviate inter dose withdrawal and symptoms so I don’t have to introduce another medication into the mix which I do not wish to do.

I didn’t have Akathisia before taking it that I’m aware of.

That's a hard situation. You're on such a low dose, it seems odd that it could cause it. But, stranger things have happened. Sometimes akasthisia is relieved by lowering the dose. Perhaps you could try to get down to 25mg and see if that helps? The nice thing about 25mg is it is the size of a tablet, so if you held there you wouldn't have to split pills.

I was started on a higher dose — 75 mg for sleep then 50mg for anxiety PRN I stopped that immediately the 50mg and tapered the 75.

But the question is -- does that matter? Like with benzos for some people, a small dose causes big problems. I am not sure.

• 1 month later...

Seroquel is a powerful anti histamine.

Most of us are histamine intolerant. This is covered in great detail in the blog:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=266239.0

The writer is taking an extended break, and has asked folks to not post until she resumes. Reading through her massive research and experimentation is very enlightening.

I believe the reason I, and many of you, suffer so horribly when we try to cut seroquel is from a histamine surge.

Am planning on working on that, it will be an experiment in progress, before trying to taper seroquel again.

Something to consider.

• Popular Now

• [...]
    • [...]