Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Questions about prescribed drugs mixed with benzo's

[...]

Hi Dena,

I don't know what 'hth' is either! :wacko:

Half-life refers to the amount of time it takes for our bodies to break down benzos. This will vary between individuals, so it is expressed as a range. Valium's half-life is 36-200 hours. Actually, it is bit more complicated with Valium as it first breaks down into other forums of benzos before they are in turn metabolised into non-active compounds. The 36-200 hours actually refers to how long it takes for Valium's active metabolites to be metabolised.

Knowing the half-life of a benzo indicates if it is a short acting benzo (to help use get to sleep, say), or if it means to have a general effect over the whole day to treat general anxiety, for example. Once you stop taking Valium, it can take a few weeks for blood levels to drop to unmeasurable levels. Your actual dose is not important in this regard - you will have certain percentage of benzo left in your blood after a given number of hours. As I said before though, how much will be individual to you.

Hi Colin

So i have Valium one way or another in my blood constantly. Of course the only way to get rid of it is to titrate.

I have to admit that when i filled my prescription today i took 3 and i was more nervous after i had taken them than before.

I do see the point, I just lack the courage for now.

How are you doing?

Cheers

Dena

Hi,

Yes, you have Valium constantly in bloodstream - the amount just drops between doses. Obviously, if the interval is long enough, the level will drop to undetected levels - this takes far longer with Valium than most of the other benzos.

If we cut whole chucks out of our benzo dose, our blood levels are going have sudden drops. Titration means that we can make much smaller cuts, so that blood levels can reduse more slowly. Valium's long half-life helps with keeping blood levels even, as the long half-life means there is little change between doses - this is good thing when planning a withdrawal. Smooth tapers are far better tolerated! ;)

I'm OK, but have to get going. I have a lot on tomorrow - it's my birthday, and I'm out with friends. I have some visiting, so there's some housework and shopping I have to do! ;D

[glow=red,2,300]HAPPY BIRTHDAY COLIN[/glow]

" I have a lot on tomorrow - it's my birthday, and i'm out with friends."

Hope you had a fantastic day. ;D

Thanks for clearing the valium half life thingie

Dena

:o

Good to hear Ten,

Bit on the worse for wear side, dont think it will last long....when am i going to hear your story?

African sunset

Dena

Hi there Ten

That Paxil site wasn't much use, so i am looking specifically for A/D support groups, general ones. So anyone out there who has info please pass it along!

:wacko: i am no navigator of this here machine.

Come on Ten - give it up!!!!

How's the depression - which you can reply in the depression section would make things easier  ;D

Cheers

Dena

:o  :o  :o  :o

Anyone have info on A/D sites?

Not just the Paxil one.

Would really be great if there are some links out there.

Dena

Oh, paxilprogress.org covers *all* ADs, you have people coming off everything on there. :) It's pretty "anti-psychiatry," so trust me... it addresses all ADs with equal fervor ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All

I hope i have the correct drug names for the USA and i will try for the UK.

I currently take

300mg Topomax

450mg Wellbutrin

100mg Seroquel

400mg Surmontil

I am currently freeze stop tapering off 30mg Valium for the moment, and was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on this stuff.

Does anyone find that the other meds mess up the tapering? or do they help and then you go off them?

Anyone?

I hope not.  I am slowing tapering off Temezapam and adding it with Trazodone (along with Celexa and Adderall which I have been taking for many years).  My doctor eventually hopes to stop the temazapam and just have me on Trazodone.  Im kinda nervious, but hopefully it will work. 

Hi KGirl,

I just wanted to welcome you to BenzoBuddies, and to suggest that you might like to start a thread on one of the boards and tell us about yourself.

• 4 weeks later...

helpful things for depression would be world peace

civil people

more time

better quality of life

eat well

brush your teeth

be good to your dog

however many of those things seem to be out of reach - maybe when we all get off drugs we can deal with it - go out and get a dog and stuff.