Looking for Trazadone Withdrawal Success Stories

[Be...]

Thanks Shaftoe for your response. I could only tolerate up to 75 Traz. I see you were up to 200 mg Traz. I tried 100 mg Traz and fainted. I took Traz because the Ambien did not give me enough sleep, but it was useful because I used it to get off Ambien.

Yes I think it's do-able, I'm just sneaking away slowly from it to avoid most symptoms. I probably will hold to the New Year and finish it off in January. I'd like to enjoy the holidays. Happy Thanksgiving folks.

Becky

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [Be...]

• [Se...]

• [Co...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I've decided not to wait 'til after the holidays to finish the taper. Cut a few grams-maybe down to 9 mgs. I am still sleeping fine and minimal withdrawal s/e's with these low amounts. My thoughts are to hopefully finish by the end of December, celebrate, and wait two months and start the Rem taper. I wonder if I'll get the one month later hit after stopping Traz. Anyone get that? I also notice the side effects of the Rem more now that I am low on Trazadone, and I don't like them.

• 3 weeks later...
Another positive update everyone. I am down to about 4 mg Trazadone. What's weird is that my sleep is actually getting better as I cut these small doses. The past few nights I've been sleeping 7/8 hours with little or no wakeups. I no longer have stuffy sinuses or constipation problems. Lots of s/e's with Traz. Should be done soon. I won't miss you Trazadone.

Go Becky!  :thumbsup:  I don't miss that stuff either.  I am almost done with my Xanax taper and despite a fading yet lingering cold and cough, I feel better than ever!  Thanks for the update...

Go Becky!  :thumbsup:  I don't miss that stuff either.  I am almost done with my Xanax taper and despite a fading yet lingering cold and cough, I feel better than ever!  Thanks for the update...

[/quote

Good going Shadow. We both will celebrate soon!

Becky

Well guys, I went back up to 100 mg after tapering a bit too quickly.  I'm going to buy a scale and do the slow taper, 5% every 10 days, starting in the new year.

Interestingly, when I started tapering, I found that I could actually nap again - albeit short naps!  But this is something that hasn't been possible since my late husband's suicide 7 years ago.  And I felt better and more alert in the morning.  But I went down 1/4 of a 50 mg pill every 2 weeks and when I hit 1-1/4 pills my body pain started to ramp up.  I think that my decreased thyroid hormone this year really amplified and intensified this withdrawal symptom so 2 weeks ago I increased my thyroid and I'm ready to take another run at the Trazodone.  Wish me luck.

Gosh, what a long journey this has all been!  Kill me now!!!

:smitten:

Ali

Hey SS, I sleep better now than when I was on the Trazodone and it seems better the lower I get on the Xanax.  Thyroid and even illness issues, any imbalances in the body can really mess with your taper.  Wishing you the best...I'll bet it works this time for you! :smitten:

Hi SS.  Yes, I've been napping too thru my Traz taper. Isn't it great. I had to go slow to be successful. I tried a quick taper very early on after a quick Ambien taper and both did not work. Silly me thought I could taper Traz 2 weeks after stopping Ambien. Good luck SS, a slow taper works like a charm.

Thanks guys.  I should have come back here when I experienced issues.  I went down 1/4 so easily that about 10 days later I went down another 1/4 then a week later I was down at 1-1/3 pills and all hell broke loose.  Too fast!

When will I ever learn.

Off to purchase my Amazon scale.  Whee!!  What fun.

I can't wait until I'm off this very final last bit.  Cannot.  Wait.

This cowgirl is going to do it this year.  Come hell or highwater!

Merry Christmas everyone and thanks for all the support.  You are simply the best!

Ali

Happy New Year buddies. Well I had a great time partying last evening on New Year's Eve  :D. So much so (alcohol) that I felt I probably should not take my meds last night.

It was as good a time as any so it's official, I've jumped from Trazadone! Two down, one to go.

Good healing to all of you,

Becky  :smitten:

Yes Becky, this is BIG.

Hope to follow in your footsteps this year.  Am starting tonight.

Will you keep us posted?

Sometimes the AD withdrawal doesn't kick in right away.  Am very curious.

Ali

I'm extremely curious too SS. It can't be much worse than jumping from Ambien. I expect sleep to be disturbed for now, but I think it will settle. Going to make it a point to drink lots of water and make more trips to the gym. I need to flush the remaining Trazadone from my body.

I hear so many reports of delayed withdrawal with antidepressants, sometimes not showing up for one to three months.  I hope not for your sake.  Fingers crossed.  I've been on them 7 years, it concerns me.

Ali

I think Traz is different.  But just my opinion.  I went up and down on the stuff , on and off all the time.  I actually tapered over 4 days this time.  Nothing but better sleep, but I am weird sometimes.  Let us know how you both do.  Hoping for the best.... :smitten:

I think Traz is different.  But just my opinion.  I went up and down on the stuff , on and off all the time.  I actually tapered over 4 days this time.  Nothing but better sleep, but I am weird sometimes.  Let us know how you both do.  Hoping for the best.... :smitten:

Shadow, I hope so for both our sakes.  But I seem to suffer from everything, I feel like an outlier sometimes.

Tonight is the night.  Down 10%, determined to go slow this time.

Ali

SS, Yes!  I think you should go slow, I didn't mean to imply you shouldn't.  I was just sharing, but then I realized I did that earlier, so it was redundant.  Who, me? :idiot:  Anyway, praying for a successful taper for you!  Take all the time you need! :thumbsup::smitten:  And prayers for Becky's jump to be smooth, too... :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to let folks know about my Trazadone withdrawal since jumping. Maybe it will help others tapering this med. I started tapering back in Feb. 2015 and jumped on New Year's Eve. I feel pretty good and I am optimistic that I'll continue feeling better and better. The best part is I no longer feel tired and lethargic in the AM. I got my mornings back.

I judge how bad withdrawal is mostly by how I sleep. A couple nights after I jumped sleep was disturbed as expected. I kept waking up every hour or so, but was able to get back to sleep right away. I got the hours and while it wasn't perfect, I felt fine the next day. It was followed by a night of sleeping more soundly, even though I woke up a couple times. This happened for a week, one good, one not so good sleep. On the eighth day, sleep got a bit worse, but wasn't too bad. I noticed this happened whenever I tapered, the second week there was an increase of symptoms. After the eighth night, sleep again improved. I woke up a couple of times, but it's just momentary or to go to the bathroom. Sleep continues to even out and get better. I use my own version of sleep restriction whenever I make a cut or jump. I just go to bed a half hour later, and try to get up right away when I wake up. I also added tart cherry juice before bedtime.

My shoulder with tendonitis ached more right after I jumped, but now feels better than while on Traz. I think Traz causes some joint swelling. Very little anxiety and low mood. Depth perception was wonky the first week, I noticed it driving on the highway. I also had the sweats, night and day. Some itching, not too bad.

I went slow tapering Traz and I think that minimized my withdrawal. Keep tapering folks, it's worth it.

Becky

I just wanted to let folks know about my Trazadone withdrawal since jumping. Maybe it will help others tapering this med. I started tapering back in Feb. 2015 and jumped on New Year's Eve. I feel pretty good and I am optimistic that I'll continue feeling better and better. The best part is I no longer feel tired and lethargic in the AM. I got my mornings back.

I judge how bad withdrawal is mostly by how I sleep. A couple nights after I jumped sleep was disturbed as expected. I kept waking up every hour or so, but was able to get back to sleep right away. I got the hours and while it wasn't perfect, I felt fine the next day. It was followed by a night of sleeping more soundly, even though a woke up a couple times. This happened for a week, one good, one not so good sleep. On the eighth day, sleep got a bit worse, but wasn't too bad. I noticed this happened whenever I tapered, the second week there was increase of symptoms. After the eighth night, sleep again improved. I wake up a couple of times, but it's just momentary or to go to the bathroom. Sleep continues to even out and get better. I use my own version of sleep restriction whenever I make a cut or jump. I just go to bed a half hour later, and try to get up right away when I wake up. I also added tart cherry juice before bedtime.

My shoulder with tendonitis ached more right after I jumped, but now feels better than while on Traz. I think Traz causes some joint swelling. Very little anxiety and low mood. Depth perception was wonky the first week, I noticed it driving on the highway.

I went slow tapering Traz and I think that minimized my withdrawal. Keep tapering folks, it's worth it.

Becky

Thanks Becky!  I'm embarked on my own 8 month taper, I've been on it since 2008.  I'm on 100 mg, this month down to 7/8ths of that.  Low and slow.

I'm looking forward to a bit less hangover in the mornings!

That being said, I was profoundly grateful that Trazodone worked for me during my taper and withdrawal from the z-drug.  At coming up to 32 months off, I'm sleeping soundly almost every night.  Still go through slight cycles where I wake up in the early morning hours but this passes usually after a short stretch.  On balance, Trazodone was a good choice for me.  I recognize that other's don't react well to it though.  My mother, for instance, was on a very small dose of Remeron, 3.75 mg I think.  That worked for her.  Remeron made me slightly homicidal and ravenously hungry - I jettisoned it after the 2nd night!

SS

• 3 weeks later...

It's been one month since jumping from Traz and I'm now getting more intense withdrawal. I was hoping I'd get lucky but you never know with these crappy meds. I guess Trazadone withdrawal hits 1 month later.

My sleep has gotten worse. Since I jumped I would wake up a few times but was able to fall back to sleep and get the hours. This continued for 3 1/2 weeks, so I though I was good. The past 2 days though I would wake up once, fall back to sleep, but the second time I would wake and not be able to sleep. It's about an hour or so less, but it's sleep I need. I also feel more achy and revved. This has happened for 2 nights. For all I know, this could be a 15 month Ambien wave. It's not terrible so I am just going to ride it out. Wish me luck.

I've been on/off 25-150mg of trazodone for sleep since I was 16. . . I never had ANY issues just dropping it. I currently take 25mg a night because it helps me sleep just as much as the 50mg I prescribed. Sorry for those who seem to be having trouble. .  I don't think slow tapers are really a great idea unless you're dealing with a drug like benzos. . . You spend so much time on it and it causes a lot of anticipatory anxiety.

Worst I've ever had was a weeks worth of iffy sleep. . . like 5-6 hours still though. I'm also acutely aware that everyone is different. . . but I'd urge you not to fear every medication and think it has to be like benzo withdrawal. . . A lot of people seem to be very sensitive to medications here. To that I'd say you're probably not as special as you think you are. A LOT can be attributed to your mind and psychosomatic symptoms.

Well I've been sleeping fine while on Trazadone and once I jumped. I was actually thinking of moving my Remeron taper up I was feeling so good. This is my second try coming off of Trazadone. Last time I had complete insomnia that's why I had a slow taper. Now something's changed, I'm just trying to figure out why I'm having some insomnia. I am sensitive to meds, I once fainted on a prescription strength ibuprofen. Besides it being late withdrawal, it could be something I've added to my diet recently. I started eating Kefir probiotics yogurt for the past week or so. I've read that some do experience insomnia from Kefir. I'm going to stop that and see if it works. Thanks everyone for responding to my thread.

Becky :smitten:

• Popular Now