Looking for Trazadone Withdrawal Success Stories

[Be...]

Wait, and I looked at your signature, you weren't taking that much Klonopin.  I thought the Trazodone would help my Xanax WD, but upping Traz is when I clued in it was making things worse.  I think you are on to something here.  Listen to your gut.  That is all I could do.  The worst is if you go off or taper too fast, you can go back on or back up after things settle down.  But I think you definitely have to let things settle down for a couple days or so after cutting it.  Pay attention to how you feel after you take it.  My heart beat was just skyhigh in the mornings.  Not so much now.  Do what YOU think is best, not necessarily what I say.  I am just giving my experience.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [Be...]

• [Se...]

• [Co...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Well guys, last night was the first night of my taper.  I went down by 12.5 mg (roughly) or 1/4 of a 50 mg pill.

Seemed just fine.  Slept well last night, no issues falling asleep or getting back to sleep when I woke up.

So far, so good.  8 months to go!  Will keep you all posted.  I wonder if I could speed it up and go down the same amount every 10 to 15 days instead of every month?  I've been on it for 7 years.  I'm concerned about rushing things and not giving my brain/neurotransmitters enough time to adapt.

Would value any thoughts on this.  I know that slow and steady is the best way.  I just wonder if I could use the same guidelines (10% every 10 to 14 days) or if I should stick to my plan.  I've been struggling with being in another wave since the beginning of August, not out of it yet.

:smitten:

Ali

[becky how did you taper off Ambien bYusing the Trazodone.  THANK YOU CROSS

quote author=Becky123 link=topic=141380.msg1902336#msg1902336 date=1442003064]

Hi Corsair. How are you doing now? You said that it was worse at the end tapering and jumping from Trazadone but it has gotten better for you. Can you explain a little. Thanks.

I guess there aren't many success stories with Trazadone out there.

Well it seems some can go faster with not a lot of issues. I'm going very slow and I am very tempted to speed it up when I hear that. The only thing that stops me is I am afraid that my insomnia will come back full blast and stay. I don't think it will, the bigger cuts will probably just be "rougher" on me. Since 75 mg I have been going about 10% a month. This past month it was more like 15% and I felt that cut more--but it settled down. I was thinking of maybe doing alternate cuts one bigger then one smaller. I suggest just seeing how it goes after this cut and how you feel. If you feel good and stabilize nicely, you can go faster or slow down if you need to.

Next week I planned the monthly small cut, but may hold off due to next week being a bit stressful. I am purposely trying to make the cuts as easy on me as possible. Like you though, I can't wait to be done with Traz. It's great that you started your taper, you'll be done before you know it.  :)

Well it seems some can go faster with not a lot of issues. I'm going very slow and I am very tempted to speed it up when I hear that. The only thing that stops me is I am afraid that my insomnia will come back full blast and stay. I don't think it will, the bigger cuts will probably just be "rougher" on me. Since 75 mg I have been going about 10% a month. This past month it was more like 15% and I felt that cut more--but it settled down. I was thinking of maybe doing alternate cuts one bigger then one smaller. I suggest just seeing how it goes after this cut and how you feel. If you feel good and stabilize nicely, you can go faster or slow down if you need to.

Next week I planned the monthly small cut, but may hold off due to next week being a bit stressful. I am purposely trying to make the cuts as easy on me as possible. Like you though, I can't wait to be done with Traz. It's great that you started your taper, you'll be done before you know it.  :)

Thanks for the eminently sensible advice Becky.  You are right, I should just see how this goes.  If it goes as smoothly as it did last night, I may opt to try my next cut at 2 weeks out (on the 15th of the month). The point about positioning your cuts for weeks that aren't super stressful is a good one.  I'll have to keep that firmly in mind.

I got slammed into a big wave in August because of overexertion.  I'm still fragile at 28 months out.  Probably made more so because of a decrease to my thyroid hormone (cytomel) in June - my endocrinologist says it will likely take me until Christmas for my thyroid hormone receptors to come back online and feel well at this new level.  I only cut a very small amount (5%) but even small decreases really affect me negatively.  Such a delicate balancing act.

I found the thyroid decrease and overexertion to be enough to push me right into a big wave that hasn't let up.  I'm still so exhausted and strangely back into exercise intolerance again, something that had let up in month 24 quite a bit.

Oh well.  Slow is the operative word.  At least I can clearly see that I will be well again, if not exactly when.

Crosstheroad, I was on both the z-drug and trazodone right from the start.  I never used trazodone to taper off the z-drug but I think having it on board helped me with my sleep.  At 28 months off now, I'm ready to let go of the Trazodone too.  I'm pretty sure I can sleep without it if I taper slowly.  I don't want to rock the boat though after being on it for such a long time.

Thanks again Becky.  Much appreciated.

:smitten:

Ali

Hi Cross. When I first took 10mg Ambien I hated the way it made me feel and it really only gave me 4 hours sleep. I asked my doc for something else since I wasn't sleeping enough. He mentioned Trazadone and I agreed. He first offered me Xanex, and I turned him down. I started with 75 mg Traz, and was now taking 7.5 mg Ambien(I tapered it a little). I added 7.5 Remeron since I needed a bit more sleep.

I was sleeping well at this point. I knew I wanted no part of Ambien, so I tapered the Ambien slowly with a razor and got to .5 mg. Stayed there a couple months then tapered to .25 mg. Each cut took about a week for sleep to settle. Went to .20 mg and felt very sick at this point so I just jumped.

Sleep was crappy the first few weeks, but got better and better each week. I sleep well with the Traz .37 mg and Rem 7.5 mg. I now want off the Traz and will get off slowly but surely. I am determined.

I quit 100mg plus in 5 days in the midst of tapering Xanax.  Don't miss it, don't want it.  I sleep not so good, but I didn't sleep so well with it, except for the first few hours of the evening.  Are you really?  Other than getting to sleep, how is it affecting you later in the night, or in the day?.  Yeah my pdoc said to just wake up in the middle of the night, so I did and take more....REALLY?  Dumped that drug, still tapering from Xanax.  My rapid heartbeat is gone, I am still tapering from Xanax.  Trazodone is  an evil drug.  Get off it, maybe not sooner, but not later either, it is not candy as a friend here put it.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2883-tips-for-tapering-off-trazodone-desyrel/ It may not as hard as you may think, but we are all different

PS Yay SS!  BTW I think the drug IS the problem, not the withdrawal.  I mean, you should get off it at your own pace , but the drug  just gave me heart pounding hell.  I took more as I tried to get off Xanax.  Hey what is going on, I thought!  Hmmm, this drug is giving me more anxiety!  Got off it, so much less anxiety.  4-5 day WD. Hey, I was a bitch, but no worse than a week or PMS.  So worth it.  Some of us react differently than others, but pay attention to this drug....I think it is not as "gentle" as your docs may think, or at least say...  And I completely disagree with the link here about how they wean it.  You will not have seizures, you might be majorly cranky, but hey, it gets over quickly.  Sometimes you just have to deal with things.  Totally worth it for me. And I know easier said than done,  I was a major BIOTCH.  BTW I am not CTing Xanax...totally different drug,  Best to you all, just sharing

[65...]

PS Yay SS!  BTW I think the drug IS the problem, not the withdrawal.  I mean, you should get off it at your own pace , but the drug  just gave me heart pounding hell.  I took more as I tried to get off Xanax.  Hey what is going on, I thought!  Hmmm, this drug is giving me more anxiety!  Got off it, so much less anxiety.  4-5 day WD. Hey, I was a bitch, but no worse than a week or PMS.  So worth it.  Some of us react differently than others, but pay attention to this drug....I think it is not as "gentle" as your docs may think, or at least say...  And I completely disagree with the link here about how they wean it.  You will not have seizures, you might be majorly cranky, but hey, it gets over quickly.  Sometimes you just have to deal with things.  Totally worth it for me. And I know easier said than done,  I was a major BIOTCH.  BTW I am not CTing Xanax...totally different drug,  Best to you all, just sharing

It's a bit complicated when trying to determine if it's the "drug" versus the "withdrawal" being the problem.

In your case, Shadow, you came off Trazadone while still on Xanax so you had the Xanax acting as a sort of "buffer" against some of the withdrawal effects of coming off a tetracyclic antidepressant.

Also, combining those two drugs has a moderate interaction:

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=2228-0,133-54

Interactions between your selected drugs

Moderate

alprazolam trazodone

Applies to: Xanax (alprazolam), trazodone

Using alprazolam together with trazodone may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment.

So you may have been getting more heart symptoms as a result of the combination. In your case, the drug may very well have been the problem due to an adverse drug interaction.

However, unless you're having an adverse reaction to a medication, I always recommend going slowly because many times the withdrawal symptoms may not appear until months after coming off an antidepressant. This is one of the differences between AD withdrawal and benzo withdrawal - sometimes there is a significant delay in getting slammed with withdrawal symptoms as reported by patients in many of the online forums such as Surviving Antidepressants. This is especially true if the AD is the last drug you're tapering off. Many people don't even feel the worst of the withdrawal until two, four, or even a year after coming off the AD. And then it's usually seen as a re-occurrence of the mood or anxiety disorder and doctors frequently misdiagnosis and reinstate the medication.

For those of you still tapering off your AD, you may with to take a look at this post as well as the resources that are linked:  Antidepressant Withdrawal

Like an idiot I tried to see what would happen if I didn't take trazodone last night.  I slept.  I had a lot of anxiety though this morning.  My air hunger was pretty bad too.  Now I'm feeling depressed and hopeless. 

It's a bit complicated when trying to determine if it's the "drug" versus the "withdrawal" being the problem.

In your case, Shadow, you came off Trazadone while still on Xanax so you had the Xanax acting as a sort of "buffer" against some of the withdrawal effects of coming off a tetracyclic antidepressant.

Moderate

alprazolam trazodone

Using alprazolam together with trazodone may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment.

So you may have been getting more heart symptoms as a result of the combination. In your case, the drug may very well have been the problem due to an adverse drug interaction.

However, unless you're having an adverse reaction to a medication, I always recommend going slowly because many times the withdrawal symptoms may not appear until months after coming off an antidepressant. This is one of the differences between AD withdrawal and benzo withdrawal - sometimes there is a significant delay in getting slammed with withdrawal symptoms as reported by patients in many of the online forums such as Surviving Antidepressants. This is especially true if the AD is the last drug you're tapering off. Many people don't even feel the worst of the withdrawal until two, four, or even a year after coming off the AD. And then it's usually seen as a re-occurrence of the mood or anxiety disorder and doctors frequently misdiagnosis and reinstate the medication.

For those of you still tapering off your AD, you may with to take a look at this post as well as the resources that are linked:  Antidepressant Withdrawal

With all due respect mindseeker, I think trazodone is a differerent animal.  I am still tapering on Xanzx.  I quit Traz one time before CT, and I WASN'T taking Xanax then.  Now I am actually TAPERING my Xanax, so I don't see how it buffered anything.  I started Traz again when I was taking the Xanax, I think because of interdose WD. Not a good idea.  Did a quick taper, same thing, just a few days.  Not saying that everyone should do this, but it is different than most SSRIs....I can tell the difference.  Being off trazodone is making it EASIER to taper off the Benzo.  Upping my dose made it harder.  I am on a relatively low dose of X and  cut the Traz in the middle of my taper.  A few rough days, but it is done.  I don't think the Xanax is buffering that at all.  Both experiences were the same.  I respectfully disagree that you can not taper Trazodone quickly.  Benzos or not.  At least for me.  Just my opinion, my circumstance.

Like an idiot I tried to see what would happen if I didn't take trazodone last night.  I slept.  I had a lot of anxiety though this morning.  My air hunger was pretty bad too.  Now I'm feeling depressed and hopeless.

You are NOT an idiot.  I went through the same thing.  It is a short lived hell.

[65...]

Moderate

alprazolam trazodone

With all due respect mindseeker, I think trazodone is a differerent animal.  I am still tapering on Xanzx.  I quit Traz one time before CT, and I WASN'T taking Xanax then.  Now I am actually TAPERING my Xanax, so I don't see how it buffered anything.  I started Traz again when I was taking the Xanax, I think because of interdose WD. Not a good idea.  Did a quick taper, same thing, just a few days.  Not saying that everyone should do this, but it is different than most SSRIs....I can tell the difference.  Being off trazodone is making it EASIER to taper off the Benzo.  Upping my dose made it harder.  I am on a relatively low dose of X and  cut the Traz in the middle of my taper.  A few rough days, but it is done.  I don't think the Xanax is buffering that at all.  Both experiences were the same.  I respectfully disagree that you can not taper Trazodone quickly.  Benzos or not.  At least for me.  Just my opinion, my circumstance.

Generally speaking, the tricyclics and the tetracyclics are easier for most (although not all) people to come off of than the SSRIs simply because they are less potent serotongenic drugs. But you don't know your own level of dependency for quite awhile after you come off the drug due to the potential for AD's to have a delayed withdrawal syndrome.

In other words, it's too soon to say how well your Trazadone withdrawal is going because AD withdrawal doesn't always hit for several months for many people and you just came off it a couple of weeks ago.

I certainly hope you don't get slammed with withdrawal symptoms, but since AD withdrawal is very similar to benzo withdrawal, the delayed AD withdrawal symptoms may get conflated with your benzo withdrawal symptoms, making your benzo withdrawal harder.

Please be mindful of the possibility of a delayed AD withdrawal. Again, it's almost impossible to tell AD and benzo withdrawal symptoms apart - they both cause insomnia, depression, anxiety, muscle pain and burning, dp/dr, memory problems, GI problems, etc. So please take extra care with the remainder of your Xanax taper.

The fact that you were able to cold turkey it in the past does not mean you can do that in the future for two reasons:

1. There is growing evidence from web forums that there may be a "kindling" effect with ADs similar to benzos and alcohol.

2.  Once your CNS is destabilized from one psychiatric drug withdrawal, the next drug may be more difficult to come off. It depends on how destabilized your CNS is, and coming off any psych drug rapidly is more likely to destabilize the CNS than going off it slowly.

This is why the recommended taper rate is 10% for AD's unless you are experiencing an adverse interaction or a severe side effect. This is particularly true for long term AD users and those who have been off and on psych meds in the past.

[65...]

Please be careful - your signature says you're on 300 mg of Trazadone, which is too high a dose to simply skip, especially while you're tapering benzos.

I've learned that lessen the hard way, too, so don't call yourself an idiot. It's one of those lessons many of us learn the hard way.

According to your Intro post, you started taking benzos for start up anxiety from Lexapro. AD's were also the reason I started on benzos 30 years ago.

You've got so many things going for you - you've only been on these meds for a few months and you're working and exercising. You're doing great so far.

I read through some of your posts and since you're looking to get off all meds, I wanted to give you some resources to check out:

Antidepressant Withdrawal

Please pay close attention to what's discussed in this article off Surviving Antidepressants, as it's very relevant to your situation:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2207-taking-multiple-psych-drugs-which-drug-to-taper-first/

Also, I placed all your drugs in a drug interaction checker and there is one Major interaction and two Moderate interactions. See the full report here:

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=2153-0,2228-0,1013-565

Because the major interaction involves Lexapro and Trazadone and the Lexapro may have initially created the reason for you needing benzos and Traz, my advice would be to come off of the Lexapro first.

I really think staying on Lexapro is going to make your benzo taper very difficult. As you remove the benzo, the anxiety from the Lexapro may become worse, which will increase insomnia.

There's a very good article here on Surviving Antidepressants on how to come off Lexapro:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

Lexapro is an extremely potent SSRI so reducing at 10% is recommended.

There's a SSRI Support Group on BenzoBuddies you may wish to join and get some great information and support:  SSRI Support Group.

There really is no one right way to come off of multiple psych meds. However, many people fail at psych drug withdrawal because they can't sleep. And all other withdrawal symptoms become much worse after you stop sleeping. By coming off the most stimulating drug first, you'll have a better chance at an easier withdrawal from all your meds.

Sierra is not on Benzos.  Trazodone is not an SSRI.  It is an SARI.  It is different.  I think you are scaring people.  So glad I didn't follow this advice earlier.  Look, I was on close to 200 mg.  Yes, you should taper.  But let  people taper at their own pace.  If you look outside this site, there are many success stories about getting off trazodone relatively quickly

Have you ever taken it Mindseeker?  Do you really have experience?  I am just saying what I experienced.  I don't think anyone should take it as Gospel.  To me it just sounds like you are going off what you have read on the other site.  I have firsthand experience.  But, MY experience won't work for everyone.  Just sharing what happened as the post asked.  Of course I am not yet a success story.  I went back on this crap, including the Xanax because of complications from Lyme Disease.  This is nothing compared to that.  Especially the healing part.  Sometimes you just have to ENDURE.  You have to quit analyzing and just go through it.  I had no choice with Lyme.  You want issues, go through that!  I am not advocating CT, but it sounds like fear is being advocated here. TRAZODONE is different than other SSRIs.  Even if you want to call it that.

I call BS on the kindling from Trazodone.  Just get on with the program.  You know, whatever, somehow I just think  some people have to be right.  Not a healthy attitude.  In the meantime, I have a cold and still tapering.  Off this evil Trazodone though.  BTW my chiropractor told me to get off it the first time.  I was ready to shoot him.  He was right!  It was doable.  Then the healing from Lyme set in.  Talk about rough.  No one has come close to these symptoms from what I have read.  I started the meds again because of the complications.  Should have just  ENDURED it.  But that is why we are here right, to help us endure....I didn't think it was for major medical advice from other sites on how to get off a drug with one has no experience.  Most of us  all have Google.

[65...]

Have you ever taken it Mindseeker?  Do you really have experience?  I am just saying what I experienced.  I don't think anyone should take it as Gospel.  To me it just sounds like you are going off what you have read on the other site.  I have firsthand experience.  But, MY experience won't work for everyone.  Just sharing what happened as the post asked.  Of course I am not yet a success story.  I went back on this crap, including the Xanax because of complications from Lyme Disease.  This is nothing compared to that.  Especially the healing part.  Sometimes you just have to ENDURE.  You have to quit analyzing and just go through it.  I had no choice with Lyme.  You want issues, go through that!  I am not advocating CT, but it sounds like fear is being advocated here. TRAZODONE is different than other SSRIs.  Even if you want to call it that.

Shadow, I have 30 years of experience, multiple hospitalizations in both private as well as in the state system, and I've been reading and researching this extensively both for my own information as well as sharing on this forum. You can click on the Medication History in my signature to read all of them medications I've been on.

So yes, I do have experience with all classes of psychiatric drugs, including Trazadone and Lexapro.

Expecting members to "endure" withdrawal symptoms due to rapid tapering is irrational and irresponsible advice.

You say you had "no choice" with Lyme. But you DO have a choice as to your taper rate.

OK, Mindseeker.  So everyone keep taking this crap as you TRY to taper.  Best to you.  All  I can say is what worked for me.  Have a field day with 30 years of hospitalization.  And the question was not answered as far as cutting Traz.  Good luck to all with this.  Freak out if that helps.  Soundls like that is what is being encouraged.

[65...]

OK, Mindseeker.  So everyone keep taking this crap as you TRY to taper.  Best to you.  All  I can say is what worked for me.  Have a field day with 30 years of hospitalization.  And the question was not answered as far as cutting Traz.  Good luck to all with this.  Freak out if that helps.  Soundls like that is what is being encouraged.

Shadow, what specific question to you have "as far as cutting Traz"? You said you're off of Traz yourself, so I don't understand what you're asking.

I'll be glad to answer if I can, but you need to cut out the sarcasm and snarky remarks. I've done nothing but provide information on this thread, both experiential as well as linking to scientific sources.

OK, Mindseeker.  So everyone keep taking this crap as you TRY to taper.  Best to you.  All  I can say is what worked for me.  Have a field day with 30 years of hospitalization.  And the question was not answered as far as cutting Traz.  Good luck to all with this.  Freak out if that helps.  Sounds like that is what is being encouraged.

Shadow, what specific question to you have "as far as cutting Traz"? You said you're off of Traz yourself, so I don't understand what you're asking.

I'll be glad to answer if I can, but you need to cut out the sarcasm and snarky remarks. I've done nothing but provide information on this thread, both experiential as well as linking to scientific sources.

Mindseeker, first, I call a truce.  2nd.  I was only asking if YOU had quickly gotten off trazodone, like I did.  People here were asking for success stories.  I did a rapid taper in the middle of my Xanax taper, and was better off.  That is all I was trying to say.  Of course we shall see, but my taper is much easier now.  BTW, Trazodone is more like a Tricyclic than an SSRI.  And it was relatively easy for me to cut it out. I was on and off, but I know I was taking 100 plus, for at least a year, last I checked.  4 days, 25-50 mg cuts.  Boom over.  No more fast heart rates and better sleep.  I mean sleep still isn't good, but this was a big improvement.  I do not believe that it is the same as an SSRI or benzos as far as cuts.  BUT THAT IS JUST MY EXPERIENCE and that is all I am trying to convey.  I know it is not the "candy" drug that some docs say it is.  But it is not as evil to get off of as the fear is projecting.  I did 100 mg to zero in 4 days. And yes I was a mess, but it was  just like less than a week of PMS>  I am not saying that everyone else should do that.  I am just saying what worked for me.  A few,even 5 days of hell if you can deal is worth it.  And it is not a seizure causing thing.  Don't do that with benzos, Lexapro, topomax, etc. but there is some truth to how you won't have the same symptoms.  I don't buy that link that is posted about it, that you have to taper like an SSRI, or Benzo, but some have to taper everything slowly.  I am sensitive to EVERYTHING>  LYME wrecked my CNS.  But even I was able to do this. And I am sorry for the snarkiness, but I had assumed you had read this whole thread.  And maybe I was unclear.  I just disagree that it is something that will leave you with WD symptoms.  I don't know everyone's dose, but I feel SO much better after dumping the stuff.  My apologies.  I am just trying to help.  I really am.  Best to all. If we could talk in person, I am sure we would be able to convey the kindheartedness of all.  AGAIN, THIS IS JUST WHAT WORKED FOR ME, even in the midst of tapering Xanax.

I call BS on the kindling from Trazodone.  Just get on with the program.  You know, whatever, somehow I just think  some people have to be right.  Not a healthy attitude.  In the meantime, I have a cold and still tapering.  Off this evil Trazodone though.  BTW my chiropractor told me to get off it the first time.  I was ready to shoot him.  He was right!  It was doable.  Then the healing from Lyme set in.  Talk about rough.  No one has come close to these symptoms from what I have read.  I started the meds again because of the complications.  Should have just  ENDURED it.  But that is why we are here right, to help us endure....I didn't think it was for major medical advice from other sites on how to get off a drug with one has no experience.  Most of us  all have Google.

I still did not have a window since tapering trazodone! So you cannot say this is true for everyone. For me it was horrible. And yes it was a good idea to get off it because it was a terrible drug. But I did kindle. Not everyone is the same on here. You have people cold turkeying benzo's and be fine.

I still did not have a window since tapering trazodone! So you cannot say this is true for everyone. For me it was horrible. And yes it was a good idea to get off it because it was a terrible drug. But I did kindle. Not everyone is the same on here. You have people cold turkeying benzo's and be fine.

Corsair, God Bless your heart.  Hey, I was really just saying what I went through.  And I tried to make it clear that it is not for everyone.  Don't compare yourself to me.  I was trying to be encouraging and it really backfired.  I was just sharing what happened to ME.  :) Hang in Sweet one, everyone is different.

• Popular Now