Micro Tapering/Daily Tapering off of Klonopin – Success Story -

[20...]

To answer both questions, I was doing high intensity spinning on a spinning bike 5 days a week for 60 mins, then every other day along with that strength training with weights.

I had no pre workout meals which I have now started and it has helped.

I scaled the spinning back to 45 mins 5 days a week and am doing the weights again. during no weight days I do yoga or other exercises I get from a product called fitdeck, you can google it, it is a deck of cards with exercises on them. I saw then on shark tank and loved the idea.

I think I had other issues, such as the food and eating enough, plus not enough carbs. Besides my CNS, I think all the things added up.

I am obsessed  with trying to do more than before, not sure why.  I didn't scale back to much but I did change the food and hydrate more than before and stopped judging myself on the physical activity, according to me Doctor I am doing quite enough.

I got this attitude in withdrawal, in withdrawal its like we are fighting to get our lives back and once I felt a lot if symptoms go I just hit the exercise too hard to get me even better. But what I didn't understand was I was pushing myself too hard and once I paid attention to what my body needed instead of trying to push to the limits on an everyday basis, I started to feel better and have energy after exercising.

I am still to this day doing more exercise than I ever did before withdrawal and tapering. So I know you guys will get back to what your used to do or more even. I did google CNS injury and exercise and because of reading those links knew that I was pushing it. when I gave myself a break and scaled back just 15 mins and ate a small pre-workout snack it made all the difference in the world to me.

It is possible I could have just added the pre-workout snack and hydrate more and not change the workout at all and be better, but I opted to scale back.

Also I had not exercised for many years I started to work out in 2012. I don't have many years under my belt in that area.

As of right now I feel wonderful! My live is back to normal but I can never forget withdrawal and how it was. I think one gift we all eventually receive is being so grateful for life and taking comfort in the peaceful feeling that comes with the healing.

Also going through this changes you, we can't go back to how we were knowing what this was like. Everything is brighter and everything feels better.

Thank you Kay!  I am slowly working my way up to my goals.  And I mean slowly.  :)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [B ...]

• [Fo...]

• [La...]

• [ri...]

Hi Kay,

I am trying desperately how to figure out how to do this microtapering thing. I am on .25 of Klonopin a day- hit the wall when I cut that in half one day a week- all the symptoms you and others have described on this forum.

My question is- how did you cut your doses and decide how to do it?

Thank you in advance,

Mary Anne

• 3 weeks later...
[20...]

Does anyone think if tolerance withdrawal and tapering ever intersect?? What I mean is if I had tolerance withdrawal at .5 mg of clonazepam, and now I am up to 2 mg and I am beginning my taper. When I hit .5 mg during taper will there be issues?  Not sure if I am wording things right, but that's the best I can explain it.

I had acute tolerance withdrawal and ended up in the ER. I upped my klonopin and then started the slow taper. I also had that fear when I got to the same mgs. But when I hit it I didn't have tolerance problems. I give credit to splitting the dose 3 ways and taking it 6 - 8 hours apart. By the time I was at the end, I had no tolerance issues.

[20...]

Hi Kay,

I am trying desperately how to figure out how to do this microtapering thing. I am on .25 of Klonopin a day- hit the wall when I cut that in half one day a week- all the symptoms you and others have described on this forum.

My question is- how did you cut your doses and decide how to do it?

Thank you in advance,

Mary Anne

Mary Anne, I tapered too fast to .24mg and then had acute tolerance withdrawal. I went back up to .50mg and then I tapered .001mg a day. I added 100mil of whole milk to my dose of .50mg. I split that up in three portions.  I used oral syringes to measure the milk. I used 10mil syringes to measure out the milk and put it in a jar, then I used the 1mil oral syringe to take my tiny cuts out. 100mil of milk to .50mg of klonopin is .005mg a mil.  thats .50mg divided by 100 = .005

So I used the small syringe to take out .001 each line (with a number) is .0005mg so two of those measurements is .001mg. I took out two lines out of my main jar and then divided my dose into three small (babyfood) jars.

Someone else that went through this taught me what to do.

It took a long time, but I started to feel better and was able to live my life. Looking back I would have not wanted to change a thing.

[20...]

I'm really excited today, I am well over a year off and today I passed the drivers road test!!!! Its official!!!

All these years on klonopin, I had a horrible phobia about driving and the last few years also riding in cars and such(panic attacks). The only thing my doctor would do id upped my klonopin dosage by adding another pill. Hindsight I am grateful that he didn't up the dosage of the pill itself.

So my last phobia that I was told was my panic disorder and a life lone genetic hell is now put to rest.

If you were ever wondering about that, I suggest that you just wait to see if you feel the same about your fears after your taper, give it time it didn't disappear right away, the smaller phobias went first. Was I scared today? YES! but it was a normal type of fear, It did not feel like the sick panic I used to feel. I told myself that the worst that can happen is that I fail, oh well, I have two more chances before having to take the written test again and paying another 30.00. Not a big deal except for the waiting in the pit of the DMV.

I would have to say that all my symptoms are 100 percent gone. I did not expect what I got from tapering, it is much better than I thought it would be.

Does anyone think if tolerance withdrawal and tapering ever intersect?? What I mean is if I had tolerance withdrawal at .5 mg of clonazepam, and now I am up to 2 mg and I am beginning my taper. When I hit .5 mg during taper will there be issues?  Not sure if I am wording things right, but that's the best I can explain it.

I had acute tolerance withdrawal and ended up in the ER. I upped my klonopin and then started the slow taper. I also had that fear when I got to the same mgs. But when I hit it I didn't have tolerance problems. I give credit to splitting the dose 3 ways and taking it 6 - 8 hours apart. By the time I was at the end, I had no tolerance issues.

Thxx. Good to hear!!

I'm really excited today, I am well over a year off and today I passed the drivers road test!!!! Its official!!!

All these years on klonopin, I had a horrible phobia about driving and the last few years also riding in cars and such(panic attacks). The only thing my doctor would do id upped my klonopin dosage by adding another pill. Hindsight I am grateful that he didn't up the dosage of the pill itself.

So my last phobia that I was told was my panic disorder and a life lone genetic hell is now put to rest.

If you were ever wondering about that, I suggest that you just wait to see if you feel the same about your fears after your taper, give it time it didn't disappear right away, the smaller phobias went first. Was I scared today? YES! but it was a normal type of fear, It did not feel like the sick panic I used to feel. I told myself that the worst that can happen is that I fail, oh well, I have two more chances before having to take the written test again and paying another 30.00. Not a big deal except for the waiting in the pit of the DMV.

I would have to say that all my symptoms are 100 percent gone. I did not expect what I got from tapering, it is much better than I thought it would be.

Kay,

Happy for you. Congrats.

B strong

• 1 month later...

Kay,

Happy for you. Congrats.

B strong

Bump

[20...]

Not a fan of that place. After all that,  my taper went better and my symptoms were better and now am off, well off. I learned groups in secret are not the best place for myself.  I felt so much better away from all that. I hope you have the best results when you step off.

I come back here to see if I can help or answer a question.

Life is so much better, brighter and peaceful without benzos. Just got to put in the time for healing.

I didn't like that everything was so secretive on that forum either.

I'm glad to hear that you did a slow taper and had no acute. Your story is very inspirational. I am going slow, too, and it's taking a long time but I feel pretty normal.

I started out at .0006 and am cutting .0018. Hopefully I have a good outcome like you've had.

Again, congratulations on being benzo free.

Jenny

[20...]

Jenny,

Great cut rate, I started out at .0005mg and then in 4 months went to .001mg and did that to the end, I did not have to slow down. The last half of my taper I had a family member almost die, I was at the hospital every day for months, it was so stressful, and he did make it but barely.

I still did not have to slow down. or anything like that, I probably held twice during that because of the emotions of the medical news.

I brought my little cooler to the ICU everyday and dosed in his room. No one asked me anything. I even took my last dose ever in the ICU and kept up going there everyday till he could come home.

I think the slow steadiness was good for me. And by the end, I had pain symptoms but all the other ones cleared up, the anxiety and stuff. It was a great taper plan but anyone can do it here in the titration thread. So the hidden stuff was unneeded in my opinion.

I think you will do good :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently 6 days out after jumping from a rapid taper, and am considering reinstating and taking it much slower this time. I was only on Klonopin for 2 weeks (one month including the taper) and have not felt good at all throughout the taper, although things definitely got worse after I jumped.

I had hoped things would improve after jumping, but that doesn't seem to be the case. This post gives me some hope that trying again with a super slow taper might be the best way for me to do it. I'd rather be tapering for a long time and functional as opposed to being off and not being able to leave my house.

I am tapering off clonazepam 2 mg in 100 ml of liquid. I'm down to 74 ml and doing ok just fatigued so much. I had a sinus and septum surgery last year and took pain meds. I didn't even take as many as they said to.  The withdrawal took 5 days. Sweating, insomnia.  It's amazing for you just being on  clonazepam for 2 weeks!!! Ugggh.  These things are tough.

• 4 weeks later...
[20...]

I just wanted to add that after 18 months of tapering and 18 months off of klonopin I am finally off of BP medications. My BP is back to normal. I had to go on them when I went into acute while I was still on klonopin. It took along time but it did go down. I have heard from people that their blood pressure went down right away and others where it lingered in the higher numbers.

• 3 months later...

What a wonderful success story, Kay.  :)

There is no question in my mind that you absolutely did it the right way - for you.  There are times when I kind of wish I had gone even slower but my taper was so much longer than I had anticipated, I'm not sure I could have.  It is what it is....  I was delighted and encouraged to read that a lot of your pain has diminished post taper...I'm hoping mine will as well...Over the course of my taper I've developed a chronic neck into shoulder spasm on my right side among a lot of other predictable sxs....and my hair - dry and thinning as well...so your story has given me hope that these sxs too will fade as time goes on.

Thank you SO much for sharing your journey of patience and perseverance with all of us.  And again, thank you for cheering me on!!!

Mana

I needed to hear this!!! I have been on 1 mg of Klonopin for 20 years. My teenage brain never learned how to be without benzos. I am deciding to taper as soon as I get the new script for two 0.5mg so I can also taper REALLY slow. I, too, choose years and functionality over fast. I tried before and failed. My plan is to get a gram scale and with a razor shave off like 0.01mg at a time!

So you say the Valium switch did not work for you? You were okay with just cutting your klonopin dose really slowly? Will be great for me to know before doing the same! Thanks so much for sharing! It's so good to hear that this is doable without losing yourself completely. Right now, I am fearing that. I fear losing my mind, my job, my friends, everything because I go "crazy".

• 1 month later...
[20...]

Mana,

I wanted to let you know that I am almost on my two year anniversary since my last dose and all my pain symptoms have gone away, I no longer have any pain.

Kay

mdh,

Cutting my klonopin in tiny amounts worked perfectly for me. I used milk and oral syringes to measure.

Kay

You are an inspiration :) I am going super slow as well. How did you make such tiny cuts lower than .10mg? I don't know what to expect!

Hello Kay,

thank you remain active on BB. Your story is wonderful. I'm from Europe and I can not English. Your story helped me translate Google translation.

Thanks to your story, I began to reducing Klonopin. I left the pharmacy mix a solution of Klonopin. Reduced by 0,001 mg / day. My Klonopin initial value was 0.5 mg (evening). Klonopin decreases since May 2016. I am halfway 0.25 mg (evening). Now I have withdrawal symptoms-especially fierce insomnia, which lasts from December 2016.

Kay, I want to follow Dr.Ashton and reduce using Valium. Can I ask you, if you wrote a plan-table, how do I proceed? How itemize lowering Klonopin and Valium? I can not create a table. Just know that Klonopin 0.5 mg = 10 mg Valium.

Please help me.

Thank you Kay.

P.S. I apologize for my English.

Margit

• 2 weeks later...
[20...]

Margit

I never did a crossover to Valium. So i'm not sure what I can tell you other than you are halfway and that is equal to 5mg of Valium.

Kay

[20...]

Time goes by so quickly compared to when I was tapering. So two years today and I had to come back here and than this forum.

I don't think I am 100 percent healed, but that is because I am having symptoms now with my cycle and at my age my hormones are changing. The rest of the month I am fine and feel 100 percent healed. I have no symptoms at any other time. In fact I keep running into women who went through tapering a benzo and having issues with menopause, a withdrawal type of symptoms.

I looked up perimenopause and some symptoms match, but to me it feels like withdrawal so my mind went there. I leave this information here in hopes that it helps over women that this might happen to. I think my age or hormonal status is the worst age. If I were younger I would have healed by menopause and if I were older I would have already went through menopause.

Besides that everything (and I mean everything) is gone, the pain is gone, and I was so scared that it would stay forever. The muscles are great no more pain, no nerve pain. All the physical stuff is gone.

What has stayed is the tinnitus, but I did read that women in perimenopause or menopause can get tinnitus. I still have some clicking in the ears but that has faded to once in awhile.

My Memory is still spotty, It is better than when I was tapering but not back 100 percent.

I have not gone back to my pre-medication self. I think that person does not exist. I think that going through this changed

me. I am able to handle stress differently and calmly. I feel all my emotions and I just want to and do soak up as much life as I can. I got away from people that were not right for me and I have become close to those who care about me.

I think back to when I was tapering and feeling down, wishing it was over and trying to imagine what it was like not being chained to a pill ... And I have to say it is better than what I imagined. The "newness" of it all does not fade, I am just as grateful today as I was on my last dose day.

I wish this for you and I look forward to reading your success story :)

Kay,

So glad to read an update from you. Sorry to hear you are having symptoms during your cycles. Hormones, aren't they wonderful?  I struggle with this now and tapering. I am in my 40's so perimenopause is real. Wishing you complete healing. It sounds like it is on its way.  I enjoy your positive attitude. I send you big hugs.

Warrior

[20...]

Thanks so much, I am not sure if it is sensitivity to the dropping hormones or benzo injury? I have read comments in perimenopause forums that have nothing to do with benzo tapering and the women wit the bad peri have almost the same symptoms.

I did have my symptoms, anxiety, intrusive thoughts and such happen while tapering for about 4 months and then that stopped. So maybe this will happen to you and you don't suffer every month.

One thing I have gained out of this experience, is that I trust no one to know what I need or what is good for me. I research everything. I used to think that you do what the doctor says. No more!

Kay