Question about Bliss Johns

[Sa...]

[07...]

I know Bliss Johns said she played down her symptoms in "Recovery and Renewal," which is her more general book about benzo withdrawal (and not much help to me). I was hoping that her memoir, "With Hope in My Heart," would tell the real story of her "protracted and horrific withdrawal" with nothing held back. I was really disappointed. If she did indeed have a horrific withdrawal, that wasn't at all apparent form her memoir. She was going out on dates with men the whole time! I just felt really annoyed. She took around 2 years to be mostly healed, although I believe she had the dystonia for quite awhile longer. She also has a facebook page  called "Bloom in Wellness."

For anyone having a seriously difficult withdrawal experience, I recommend reading Matt Samet's book, "Death Grip: A Climber's Escape from Benzo Madness," instead. He's the one who took 5+ years to be healthy again, although he had a setback a couple of years ago ( http://www.madinamerica.com/2013/10/setbacks/ ).

Donald Killan's book, "From Fear to Freedom: A Story of Addiction, Misdiagnosis, Survival, Hope and Healing" is also very good, and very intense (nothing is held back, and he had a very severe cold turkey withdrawal experience). His success story is one of the more popular ones on BB and you will recognize it immediately if you read his book.

Wow, it is really helpful to know about the different editions of Bliss Johns's books! I feel like my mental symptoms are now much worse than my physical symptoms. I should just be grateful that I'm not having severe physical symptoms, but I'm really suffering with the mental ones.

Braban, I want to thank you for linking to Dr. Leigh's website. I nearly cried with relief just now when I read that she too obsessed about death daily, because that is my world right now. But she got better and I am determined to as well!

Love and luck to all of you  :smitten:

mutuuraia, I agree with you. Matt Samets Death Grip really helped me

to get through my recovery process after a brutal detox.

I just skipped his mountain climbing stories cause they nerved me a bit,

was too ill for it. He describes the physical sxs ever so well...

Also his Benzopedia is awesome...sxs listed, coping methods etc.....:)

http://www.benzosupport.org/benzopedia.htm