German Pilot had generalized anxiety disorder

[Qu...]

Yes, let's hope changes are made. I've also been thinking about the fact that most (but not all) pilots are men, and it's much harder for men to discuss mental health issues. They may not show anything, they may not ask for help, yet they may be suffering inside.

Yes, let's hope changes are made. I've also been thinking about the fact that most (but not all) pilots are men, and it's much harder for men to discuss mental health issues. They may not show anything, they may not ask for help, yet they may be suffering inside.

Yes, very good point there, its a Tragedy.

Airline industry is rife with drugs both prescribed and illicit!!!

When I was in hospital to jump from my last 7mg of Valium I met a few Qantas cabin crew coming off alcohol, Xanax and ICE.

Xanax and other benzos can be bought over the counter in some Asian cities.

Airline industry is rife with drugs both prescribed and illicit!!!

When I was in hospital to jump from my last 7mg of Valium I met a few Qantas cabin crew coming off alcohol, Xanax and ICE.

Xanax and other benzos can be bought over the counter in some Asian cities.

The problem is much bigger than one can ever imagine, scary indeed.

CBC Radio here in Canada has just covered this topic today. The media coverage has been rife with speculation and it's hard to tell fact from fiction. A psychiatry professor who was a guest on the program this morning suggested that all of the speculation contributes more to misinformation and stigma and deepens the very problems that need to be solved with it comes to mental health.

Let's hope we eventually hear the truth. Mental health needs to be better understood, but it need to be based on fact.

CBC Radio here in Canada has just covered this topic today. The media coverage has been rife with speculation and it's hard to tell fact from fiction. A psychiatry professor who was a guest on the program this morning suggested that all of the speculation contributes more to misinformation and stigma and deepens the very problems that need to be solved with it comes to mental health.

Let's hope we eventually hear the truth. Mental health needs to be better understood, but it need to be based on fact.

Interesting. :thumbsup:

I used to fly - years ago.  I had my private pilots license.  I also loved to fly commercially - never a fear.  But then, after becoming employed in the airline industry, I stopped flying.  I stopped flying commercially.  In fact, I haven't been in a plane since 1985 and that was a nightmare because of what I came to know about pilots.  I was shocked to learn/see that getting high/drunk was common. 

The only way I would get on a commercial jet is if I could sit in the cockpit.  And since the airlines won't let me do that, I don't fly.  Add mental health issues to this mix and . . .  There is no way around any of this.  The industry can't possibly screen for all things.  I understand they do Breathalyzers on pilots now (some airlines?) although I don't really know. But they can't do blood work on the crew before allowing them in the cockpit.  And anyone can pass a psych exam (unless one is in an active psychotic state ).  And of course, for those of us going through withdrawal (Oh, that's right, all of us are!!) we can bravely smile and hang onto ourselves for moments at a time.

If we conducted a survey of professions here I think we will find a smattering of all careers (doctors, lawyers, pilots, nurses, engineers, military, artists, truck drivers, mechanics, postal workers, mothers, government officials, etc.)  The internal strength this withdrawal requires pulls us inward for so much of our recovery which puts all who are put into our care at risk.  But bringing those souls into our suffering is the last thing on anyone's mind.  IN fact I think I can say that none of us would wish this suffering onto any other soul.

This pilot may have had general anxiety disorder and perhaps at one time he was suicidal.  But the behaviors of those suffering from both those mental illnesses don't include mass murder.  And that is what this pilot did.  We are looking at something else altogether.  Even people who suffer with psychosis can behave appropriately and for significant amounts of time.  So very sad from beginning to end, and for all involved.   

Psych meds...

no one could convince me otherwise after my own experience and what I've learned over the last 3 years...

http://www.madinamerica.com/2015/03/germanwings-pilot-reportedly-antidepressants-many-banned-us-faa/

The demonization of the 'mentally ill' scares the crap out of me.  See Nazi Germany.

Frightening cookie.....more than frightening. :(

Looks like it was Lorazepam in combo with an A/D - poly-drugged. Don't know if he was actively taking it or in withdrawal ...  or both !

Hopefully some good can come from this terrible event.

Looks like it was Lorazepam in combo with an A/D - poly-drugged. Don't know if he was actively taking it or in withdrawal ...  or both !

Hopefully some good can come from this terrible event.

Sigh.....just imagine, how many lives have been lost due to unknowledge

about the dangers of these drugs, its heartbreaking.