• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [me...]

• [...]

• [su...]

• [Co...]

Top Posters In This Topic

supereal, I went thru that! I googled everything under the sun but that's how I found benzo buddies! My first two months were hell, I had a nice window in month 3, but then had a wave that felt like I made no progress at all. But these last two weeks have been so much better. You will heal but don't expect it to be linear. One thing that helped me was someone said that they kept reminding themselves that they didn't have these symptoms til they quit benzos.

That's so true, confused. I didn't have any of this weirdness until tapering and withdrawal from ativan. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Absolutely. No more. I don't have any anxiety...all my symptoms are physical. They in turn can make me a little anxious, but nothing that is out of control.  :D

Don't let the symptoms control you.  Time and patience is your only healer.  You have to learn to find tools to cope because like I said time is the only healer.

Find CBT books, go for walks, practice mi ndfullness.  There is only one way out of this and it is through it.  Always remind yourself that it WILL pass.  This is not forever.  You WILL heal. 

Thank you all ...you are truly amazing. Had a window today with only some sx present ( tinnitus and pain around incision from surgery, bladder acting up ( had hysterectomy 6 month ago but having increased pain since wd:(- having cystoscopy on Thursday and of course doing the symptom seeking thing - hoping I don't have any complications)

I took an hour walk with my dog today and was more present with my kids...

We can do this everyone!!

I think I was stupid enough to think I'm out of acute. I'm definitely still in acute.

I actually just read that acute could last up to 90 days! (in case of long half life) So here I am with my poor 26 days.

I'm trying to see that as a positive. It could mean i would feel better after two months. I COULD be one of the lucky ones. I'll hold on to that for now. I kinda need some goals, it helps (when i was very ill a few years ago, i also struggled my way through it like that)

So i was thinking of planning a relaxation afternoon in a month, as a celebration for my two months off. (some mild relaxing activities as for example going to a sauna, pool, or going out for dinner maybe if that's possible) I could set my mind at counting down to two months. It sounds less bad than waiting for the six month marker or god forbid one year marker.

How about you guys? Maybe this kind of thing could help us? Planning some mild 'fun' activities at milestones? It's like getting a chip at AA meetings.

corsair I really like this idea. I think I'm gonna reward myself weekly with some kind of relaxation and mindfulness. I'm in the same boat as you (benzo free since 3/13 - that was a Friday - how fitting); I had a really nice window yesterday thinking - oh maybe it is over, it was a really good day only to worsen to little sleep, hart palpitations and that darn tinnitus; also had severe heartburn and incision sites as well as abdominal area really hurt. I'm going to schedule a massage next week for making it to 3 weeks - right now I'm just 2+ weeks out. Boy I never thought this would be so hard. I have also started to read the daily devotionals from Alanon - one day at a time; herbal tea seem to calm things down for me.

Also, how are you guys handling the insomnia? I took 5mg of Melatonin yesterday and herbal tea - was able to just sleep a few hours (past midnight:(; I really don't want to take any more pills if I can help it or anything that works on the same receptors which would lengthen the healing process...but I gotta sleep to be able to work (I'm a single mom)

Good luck to you all :thumbsup:

Short-term user too. Was on 1mg ativan a day for one week and 2mg ativan the second week. Started tapering and have dropped to 1.25mg a day in about two weeks. But have had Bad withdrawal symptoms with each cut. Struggling rather I should keep making .25mg cuts every 5-6 days, or if I should take smaller ones and, hopefully, reduce withdrawal symptoms. Any thoughts appreciated!

We will get there, one day at a time!! How was everyone's day? I had a semi-window i think. It wasn't as bad as other days. Mostly pain in legs and arms and pelvic area.

corsair I really like this idea. I think I'm gonna reward myself weekly with some kind of relaxation and mindfulness. I'm in the same boat as you (benzo free since 3/13 - that was a Friday - how fitting); I had a really nice window yesterday thinking - oh maybe it is over, it was a really good day only to worsen to little sleep, hart palpitations and that darn tinnitus; also had severe heartburn and incision sites as well as abdominal area really hurt. I'm going to schedule a massage next week for making it to 3 weeks - right now I'm just 2+ weeks out. Boy I never thought this would be so hard. I have also started to read the daily devotionals from Alanon - one day at a time; herbal tea seem to calm things down for me.

Also, how are you guys handling the insomnia? I took 5mg of Melatonin yesterday and herbal tea - was able to just sleep a few hours (past midnight:(; I really don't want to take any more pills if I can help it or anything that works on the same receptors which would lengthen the healing process...but I gotta sleep to be able to work (I'm a single mom)

Good luck to you all :thumbsup:

Good idea! I hate the insomnia, this was my original problem. But i'm still taking the seroquel and trazodone for that. I hope i can slowly taper that off. But not right now i was too messed up (tried to stop the trazodone one week ago did not work) So now i sleep ok-ish.

Good to hear your getting some sleep corsair.  I've been feeling better now that I'm about three months from last dose...anyone else noticed a change at about three months out?  I've heard from others a turning point has happened around then. 

Well, today is day 13 off of Xanax.  Yesterday and today, it has been a little better.  I have had several hours in the day when I feel normal.  The adrenaline rushes are slowing down, sleep is a little better.  I read this in the Ashton Manual and found it helpful.  It explained what is going on with sleep during withdrawal, and it made sense to me since I have been having frequent strange dreams which wake me up often.

From the Ashton Manual:

Insomnia, nightmares, sleep disturbance. The sleep engendered by benzodiazepines, though it may seem refreshing at first, is not a normal sleep. Benzodiazepines inhibit both dreaming sleep (rapid eye movement sleep, REMS) and deep sleep (slow wave sleep, SWS). The extra sleep time that benzodiazepines provide is spent mainly in light sleep, termed Stage 2 sleep. REM and SWS are the two most important stages of sleep and are essential to health. Sleep deprivation studies show that any deficit is quickly made up by a rebound to above normal levels as soon as circumstances permit.

In regular benzodiazepine users REMS and SWS tend to return to pre-drug levels (because of tolerance) but the initial deficit remains. On withdrawal, even after years of benzodiazepine use, there is a marked rebound increase in REMS which also becomes more intense. As a result, dreams become more vivid, nightmares may occur and cause frequent awakenings during the night. This is a normal reaction to benzodiazepine withdrawal and, though unpleasant, it is a sign that recovery is beginning to take place. When the deficit of REMS is made up, usually after about 4-6 weeks, the nightmares become less frequent and gradually fade away.

Return of SWS seems to take longer after withdrawal, probably because anxiety levels are high, the brain is overactive and it is hard to relax completely. Subjects may have difficulty in getting off to sleep and may experience "restless legs syndrome", sudden muscle jerks (myoclonus) just as they are dropping off or be jolted suddenly by a hallucination of a loud bang (hypnagogic hallucination) which wakes them up again. These disturbances may also last for several weeks, sometimes months.

However, all these symptoms do settle in time. The need for sleep is so powerful that normal sleep will eventually reassert itself. Meanwhile, attention to sleep hygiene measures including avoiding tea, coffee, other stimulants or alcohol near bedtime, relaxation tapes, anxiety management techniques and physical exercise may be helpful. Taking all or most of the dose of benzodiazepine at night during the reduction period may also help. Occasionally another drug might be indicated (see section on adjuvant drugs, below).

Good morning everyone - I slept well last night for the first time . I was so afraid that I would have another sleepless night but I didn't . Living for those windows...we will heal!!!

Good morning benzo friends!! I had a terrible night. My husband always sleeps with his gun on the dresser by him and suddenly i can't sleep in there because im scared oof guns and knives and scissors and everything turns into a weapon. My mind is crazy then about midnight my mother was rushed by ambulanace for vommiting blood. Her bp is so high. They are scared she is having a stroke or internally bleeding. I hate the thoughts but now im sitting here having anxiety about my mom and thoughts. . Im crying to jesus to please heal me.please

Good to have this support group because there are problems with short term and PRN use too!

I've finally decided to taper after trying to quit CT from 2 weeks of 1mg/day. It's been a bad couple weeks but hopefully the taper will alleviate some of the anguish. I plan to post more in the Withdrawal Support board.

Yay anxious4now! Glad to hear you got a decent night's sleep.  Hope that trend continues!! My sleep is still not quality sleep, but it's some kind of sleep so I'll take it.

Do any of you have other physical symptoms?  My skin is burning and tingling today.  Prior to getting on klonopin, I had tingling skin that no doc could figure out. I even had nerve tests done, w/  normal test results.  When I started klonopin, my tingling got worse and I had severe numbness.  Now, after getting off my nerves have felt much better.  Until today.  Not sure if this a return of my prior condition, or a result of withdrawal.

Just wondering if any of you felt this???

Yes that burning feeling is very common in withdrawal. I had it all over the place. It still comes and goes but is much less strong than when I dropped back last May. It's one symptom that doesn't bother me as much as some others.

Today the morning was good, but after lunch I had some pretty bad flushing and just a general sense of unease. I can't pinpoint my issues sometimes. And I continue to have palps/racing pulse at night. So I can't feel comfortable saying that it's hormonal, which is what I initially thought. I also keep having these little blasts of almost dizziness. It's weird! I just want a day where I'm comfortable all day! I took today off from work and really thought I'd feel good all day. It's nothing that's incapacitating, but I can't ignore it. Rarg.  :tickedoff:

Here's hoping everyone has a good night, gets some good sleep, and that tomorrow is a little better.

xo

Mookie

Meggiemay- good to hear your having some windows! Mookie- my worst times seem to fall after lunch time as well.  Flushing and unease describe it well. I start feeling better at around 5-6.  I wonder why that is?

It's been a roller coaster ride but overall making some improvement. 

Siggy- do you get muscle spasms too? How long did you have the burning skin sensations? Was it all over your whole body?  Mine is all over. Feels like a really bad sunburn. Lots of fatigue today too 😭

Siggy- do you get muscle spasms too? How long did you have the burning skin sensations? Was it all over your whole body?  Mine is all over. Feels like a really bad sunburn. Lots of fatigue today too 😭

Yeah early in acute the burning was all over my body. Some muscle spasms, but much less of that. The majority of it went away within 2 or 3 months. Then it would come and go with no rhyme or reason. Mostly the burning ended up on my scalp. It's barely there anymore at 10 months off. Sorry for your fatigue. Hope we both get some sleep tonight. I didn't get any and somehow can make it to work without one night, but two nights is too much.

Yes - definitely had numbness and tingling in my arms, also chest pain. I thought I had a heart attack but it was just a panic attack! It's horrible - all these sx - trying to take it one day at a time - today wasn't so bad- rest well everyone, so glad to have your support.

I had my first real window yesterday!!!!! Did not have any withdrawal sx! (just a pre existing back problem that reemerged, not sure if that was withdrawal related that it reemerged or that it just reemerged) It was heaven. I now remembered how it felt to feel normal!

I did not sleep well tonight though. I feel a bit less than yesterday. But it was so good to remember that these things will pass.