The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying

[La...]

My boatiness is now at a point that it comes mildly and goes almost away after my morning dread. It normally comes back late evening and by bedtime it's pretty rocky. When I'm not very boaty, I have pulling down sensation especially when standing. This has improved a bit enough that I can stand being upright for about 30-40 minutes. I've just made my 6 month milestone. Hopefully this will continue to improve. The chair yoga is very fun and a good distraction. Now I can sit on a couch for about 15 minutes without having to go lay back down. I'm SO grateful  :smitten: Hopefully I will be able to extend this in a couple of weeks. My goal is to be more and more out of this bed. Last week my boatiness was mild for a few days then it increased and had spinning with it. Now it's back to rocky boat. Haaaaahaaa what a crazy wild ride this is.

Yes Ty, I have to do a blood test, I have been to do eye dr.  he only found dryness... I find alot of people have these sxs... probably low blood pressure. I do what I have to do take electrolytes and drink,eat well still have these sxs especially in the morning

Okay, that's good. My light-headedness and fainting weren't caused by the benzos at all. It really was pain from menstrual cramps and probably, blood loss. I also fainted at the dentist's office when he put a needle for freezing in my upper palate. Yikes! He gave me oxygen the rest of the time, and that really helped. It was a one-off, though. That's never happened before (or since).

so you had  low iron levels? I'm suppose to have my wisdom tooth out but I'm terrified... I think I have ataxia and have been nauseous today, but also have IBS.... and doing this alone

Well, I have had low red blood cell and hemoglobin levels, but I've been taking iron, and they've come up to almost-normal level.

Thats good xx did the  dental procedure set you back?

Yes Ty, I have to do a blood test, I have been to do eye dr.  he only found dryness... I find alot of people have these sxs... probably low blood pressure. I do what I have to do take electrolytes and drink,eat well still have these sxs especially in the morning

Okay, that's good. My light-headedness and fainting weren't caused by the benzos at all. It really was pain from menstrual cramps and probably, blood loss. I also fainted at the dentist's office when he put a needle for freezing in my upper palate. Yikes! He gave me oxygen the rest of the time, and that really helped. It was a one-off, though. That's never happened before (or since).

so you had  low iron levels? I'm suppose to have my wisdom tooth out but I'm terrified... I think I have ataxia and have been nauseous today, but also have IBS.... and doing this alone

Well, I have had low red blood cell and hemoglobin levels, but I've been taking iron, and they've come up to almost-normal level.

Thats good xx did the  dental procedure set you back?

No, not at all. I needed a crown, and the day I fainted was the day the dentist had to do the drilling. When I fainted after the injection, he gave me oxygen for the rest of the appointment, which made me feel much better. There weren't any repercussions afterwards and I went back to get the permanent crown two weeks later. There was no freezing required, and it went fine.

For me, the fainting wasn't part of the benzo withdrawal. I have had low blood pressure all of my life, and if it decreases a bit, I can faint. I fainted a number of times during 2018 and 2019, but it seemed to only happen on days when I had bad menstrual cramps (part of perimenopause for me). Fainting is usually a short event -- it happens, and then you recover quickly. That's been my experience whenever I've fainted, which is a number of times in my life (due to low blood pressure).

The disequilibrium from the benzos is whole different experience, and, in my case, it has gone on and on. It's not related to low blood pressure. It's a vestibular issue.

thxs Lapis, my dizziness became really bad lately with  nausea that wakes me up in the night WTH

I thought ginger would help but it  doesn't for a long time, and I hate throwing up....

those your dizziness ever stop?

I had extreme dizziness in year 1.

It went away.

It’s back at month 35. It comes and goes for about an hour or two. Why is this happening and did this happen to anyone else? I am so scared

All my other symptoms are mostly gone. It’s just random dizziness/spins now

I thought I was over this. Why did it come back. It’s so scary.

thxs Lapis, my dizziness became really bad lately with  nausea that wakes me up in the night WTH

I thought ginger would help but it  doesn't for a long time, and I hate throwing up....

those your dizziness ever stop?

Hi bonty,

I'm still dealing with it. I believe there are hormonal factors involved now, as I'm in perimenopause, and I've read a number of studies that connect changing hormones in women (e.g. during pregnancy, pre-menstrual, perimenopause) to dizziness. So, in my case, it may not be just all those medications I took.

I never had nausea, though. Ever. So, I can't really offer any suggestions on that.

I had extreme dizziness in year 1.

It went away.

It’s back at month 35. It comes and goes for about an hour or two. Why is this happening and did this happen to anyone else? I am so scared

All my other symptoms are mostly gone. It’s just random dizziness/spins now

I thought I was over this. Why did it come back. It’s so scary.

Hi Meganz,

Have you consulted your family doctor about this? Are you sure this is a recurrence of something from before and not something new? Dizziness has so many possible causes, and medications are just one of them.

My dizziness is withdrawal. There’s nothing else wrong with me and it comes in waves. It popped back up when some of my other symptoms went away. Like symptom whack a mole. I know it’s wd because I know how wd dizziness feels. Like my eyes have trouble focusing. I’ve literally been checked by so many doctors and there is nothing wrong with me

This is an example on why BB’s isn’t always a good thing and can make people paranoid something else is wrong and cause health anxiety. That wasn’t helpful lapis. Obviously it’s wd. I’m a seasoned vet at this and I’d know. Luckily this symptom is also starting to fade now, and I’m near complete healing. But if I would’ve read that when I was really struggling....that comment would’ve made me so much worse. No encouragement that it could be normal or anything....

Well turns out it is normal for dizziness to come back and get worse right before final healing

My dizziness is withdrawal. There’s nothing else wrong with me and it comes in waves. It popped back up when some of my other symptoms went away. Like symptom whack a mole. I know it’s wd because I know how wd dizziness feels. Like my eyes have trouble focusing. I’ve literally been checked by so many doctors and there is nothing wrong with me

This is an example on why BB’s isn’t always a good thing and can make people paranoid something else is wrong and cause health anxiety. That wasn’t helpful lapis. Obviously it’s wd. I’m a seasoned vet at this and I’d know. Luckily this symptom is also starting to fade now, and I’m near complete healing. But if I would’ve read that when I was really struggling....that comment would’ve made me so much worse. No encouragement that it could be normal or anything....

Well turns out it is normal for dizziness to come back and get worse right before final healing

Meganz, I'm sorry if you felt my comment was upsetting. I don't know your history, and I'm certainly not able to tell you why your dizziness went away and came back. Everyone is different around here, and lots of people leave without coming back to tell us how things went. There may well be others who have had the same experience as you, but they might not be reading this thread.

BB is a very inconsistent place when it comes to things like this. People come and go as they wish, and we have no database from which to draw useful info. Just regular people like me who are also going through very difficult situations. Sorry if I didn't give you what you needed.

I do wish you well, and I'm glad that you're feeling better already.

Hi Everyone,

Here's the latest update from PubMed on vertigo, which is defined as a rotational sense of motion. Here's a quote:

The initial goal in diagnosis is determining whether or not the patient is truly experiencing vertigo as most patients will report dizziness as a chief complaint. To elicit true vertigo symptoms, a provider may ask, "Does it feel like the room is spinning around you?"

There's also this intro paragraph:

Vertigo is a common presenting complaint in primary care offices and emergency departments. It is a symptom of vestibular dysfunction and has been described as a sensation of motion, most commonly rotational motion. It is important to differentiate vertiginous symptoms from other forms of dizziness, such as lightheadedness, which is most often associated with presyncope.

The floaty-boat sensation of motion that many of us experience would be called "disequilibrium". Another type of dizziness is lightheadedness or presyncope, while syncope refers to fainting or passing out.

Anyway, this review is a comprehensive look at vertigo, which includes Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo, Meniere's Disease and other types. Suffice it to say, there are different types of dizziness, and many people are misdiagnosed or not diagnosed at all when trying to get help with it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK482356/#article-31130.s1

Yeah lapis,

That’s not helpful.

I realize there are other things that cause vertigo.

I’ve already seen a doctor multiple times for it

They couldn’t figure out what mine was

I am 110% healthy

It’s wd.

Yeah lapis,

That’s not helpful.

I realize there are other things that cause vertigo.

I’ve already seen a doctor multiple times for it

They couldn’t figure out what mine was

I am 110% healthy

It’s wd.

Yes, I got it, Meganz. I posted the vertigo information for all to see, as you can see by what I wrote. It's not for anyone specifically. It just came up on PubMed in the last little while, and as you may know, I post information from PubMed that dizzy people may want to read in order to understand more about what they're feeling. If you actually read the information, you'll see that medication is one of the listed possible causes of vertigo, but many of us have a floaty-boaty feeling, which could best be described as "disequilibrium", rather than "vertigo".

Again, it's in the post, which is for everyone who's interested, including me. It's not about you specifically.

Take care. I wish you well. We all know our own bodies best, and it seems like you're doing very well, so keep up the good work.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it! We're having a white Christmas here, and the snow continues to fall....soft, fluffy flakes. It's nice, if you like that kind of thing!

I hope everyone is hanging in there.  :)

For anyone who might be interested, there's another paper from PubMed that I recently posted in the News section, and it's on antidepressant withdrawal from the patient's point of view. I posted the abstract, with a link to the full study, and it's well worth reading. Having been on a couple of antidepressants myself, I can say that the paper reflects the patient's experience quite well. And yes, of course, dizziness is mentioned as a common side effect that people experience. I had it during and after my antidepressant use, which, of course, was concurrent with my benzo use. Double whammy. :-(

I know many others here on BB have taken multiple different types of meds, so that can play a role when it comes to withdrawal.

An interesting point that came up in the paper is how similar the symptoms are from antidepressant and benzodiazepine withdrawal. I've certainly read that before -- in particular, in a paper where there was a side-by-side table showing the most common withdrawal symptoms from the two types of medication. It was unbelievable how similar they were!

Here's the link to the Benzos in the News thread where you can see this recent study on antidepressant withdrawal:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=249926.0 

Some more on the recent literature front:

There's a paper called "DIZZYNET 2020: basic and clinical vestibular research united", which follows from a gathering (pre-pandemic, of course) of experts in the field of vestibular research. They continue to work on diagnostics and treatment, but I didn't see anything in there that pertained directly to what most of us are experiencing. Because dizziness is so common and because there are so many different causes, it's essential that such research continue. If you want to check out the paper, here's the link:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7718177/pdf/415_2020_Article_10317.pdf 

As a further note to the paper on vertigo, there were a couple of mentions of medication. In the section on possible causes of vertigo, they say this:

Other causes can lead to vertigo. These include medication-induced vertigo and psychologic disorders, including mood, anxiety, and somatization. Medications that have been associated with vertigo include anticonvulsants such as phenytoin and salicylates.

So, they don't mention benzodiazepines or antidepressants or any of the other psychiatric meds in this list, but there's a reference link, so it's possible that other meds are listed there.

The other mention of medications are in the "Treatment/Management" section, and here they do mention benzos. Thankfully, they mention some of the risks, and they refer only to short-term use. As we know, long-term use can make people more dizzy, not less. Here's an excerpt:

Treatment / Management

Treatment of vertigo is dependent upon the etiology, and often, treating the underlying etiology will improve the symptoms of vertigo.

Medications may be useful to suppress vestibular symptoms in acute episodes that may last a few hours to days. The most common medications used for symptomatic relief include antihistamines, benzodiazepines, and antiemetics. The most common antihistamine used is meclizine, which is safe during pregnancy. Given sedating effects, caution is advised in using antihistamines, benzodiazepines, and antiemetics in elderly patients.

Additional non-pharmacologic treatments for patients with permanent unilateral or bilateral vestibular dysfunction include physical therapy with vestibular rehabilitation. Vestibular rehabilitation exercises train the brain through alternative visual and proprioceptive clues to maintain balance.  Several randomized control trials have shown benefits in vestibular rehabilitation, including a decrease in vertiginous symptoms, a decrease in movement provoked dizziness, and improvement in activities of daily living.

I was on tricyclic AD's for years and then got off them with no problem and they never caused dizziness in me.

Any list of possible side effects for a medication is just that -- possible. Not everyone gets all the side effects. So, it's great that you didn't get that side effect, but some people do. You're lucky!

Of all the papers I've read on ototoxic medications or vestibulotoxic medications, this one is the most comprehensive:

"Pharmacological drugs inducing ototoxicity,vestibular symptoms and tinnitus: a reasoned and updated guide"

https://www.europeanreview.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/956.pdf 

The antidepressants are listed on page 612, including tricyclics, SSRIs, SNRIs. They're on the same page as the benzodiazepines.

The list of meds that can cause issues with hearing and/or balance is enormous, and it starts on page 610, if anyone wants to check it out.

Thx Lapis for the repost. I hope you had a nice Xmas! You're so sweet.

Many people on here go to doctor for their dizziness just to have them tell them that they don't know the cause. As Meganz said...its WD! Mine is at a point now that it shifts from boaty to pushing pulling to spinning all in a single day. Then in a window it's just boaty in the background until late evening when my night wave starts. The good thing is I recognize that it will get better because it has gotten better in my windows as time passes. Also it's less intense. I'm entering my 7 month on Saturday.

I love how you're always giving great information.  :thumbsup:

Many people on here go to doctor for their dizziness just to have them tell them that they don't know the cause. As Meganz said...its WD! Mine is at a point now that it shifts from boaty to pushing pulling to spinning all in a single day. Then in a window it's just boaty in the background until late evening when my night wave starts. The good thing is I recognize that it will get better because it has gotten better in my windows as time passes. Also it's less intense. I'm entering my 7 month on Saturday.

I have the same issue but I'm still tapering  it got really bad on my cycle and had nausea I think this is Ataxia but the intensity decreased as time passes , I also have it with my vision out of wack...

Hi LadyDen,

It's great to hear that you're having better days and nights. I certainly experience a variety of sensations as well, but I never get vertigo (i.e. spinning dizziness). Mine is mostly floaty/boaty, plus push-pull. I have varying intensities, from 6 out of 10 on a good day to 9.5 out of 10 on my worst days. I can't say I've ever had a 10, which, in my books, is something that would require me to lie down all day or go to the hospital. I've just tried to handle the symptoms as well as I can.

As far as information goes, I do really think that "knowledge is power". The more we know and understand, the better. And when we have to talk to health professionals about our situations, being more informed and/or sharing information can certainly help -- including sharing medical journal articles, since they can validate what we're going through.

I have the same issue but I'm still tapering  it got really bad on my cycle and had nausea I think this is Ataxia but the intensity decreased as time passes , I also have it with my vision out of wack...

Hey bonty,

You might want to be a bit careful about using the term "ataxia", since that refers to something quite serious. I'll share a quote here from the National Ataxia Foundation. It's considered "a rare neurological disease", and you'd have to get that diagnosed from an appropriate medical professional. Has a doctor said that that's what you have?

What is Ataxia?

Ataxia is a degenerative disease of the nervous system. Many symptoms of Ataxia mimic those of being drunk, such as slurred speech, stumbling, falling, and incoordination. These symptoms are caused by damage to the cerebellum, the part of the brain that is responsible for coordinating movement. Ataxia treatment involves a combination of medication to treat symptoms and  therapy to improve quality of life.

People affected by Ataxia may experience problems with using their fingers and hands, arms, legs, walking, speaking or moving their eyes. Ataxia affects people of all ages. Age of symptom-onset can vary widely, from childhood to late-adulthood. Complications from the disease are serious and oftentimes debilitating. Some types of Ataxia can lead to an early death.

https://ataxia.org/what-is-ataxia/ 

Hey bonty,

You might want to be a bit careful about using the term "ataxia", since that refers to something quite serious. I'll share a quote here from the National Ataxia Foundation. It's considered "a rare neurological disease", and you'd have to get that diagnosed from an appropriate medical professional. Has a doctor said that that's what you have?

What is Ataxia?

Ataxia is a degenerative disease of the nervous system. Many symptoms of Ataxia mimic those of being drunk, such as slurred speech, stumbling, falling, and incoordination. These symptoms are caused by damage to the cerebellum, the part of the brain that is responsible for coordinating movement. Ataxia treatment involves a combination of medication to treat symptoms and  therapy to improve quality of life.

People affHi Lapis, I think there are different types of Ataxias ected by Ataxia may experience problems with using their fingers and hands, arms, legs, walking, speaking or moving their eyes. Ataxia affects people of all ages. Age of symptom-onset can vary widely, from childhood to late-adulthood. Complications from the disease are serious and oftentimes debilitating. Some types of Ataxia can lead to an early death.

Hi Lapis, I think there are different types of Ataxias and severity ( unless there is another name for what we experience). here's an article that  mentions benzos as  one of the causes, thx goodness I don't have everything  mentioned.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25391707/

Abstract

Background and objectives: Cerebellar ataxia can be induced by a large number of drugs. We here conducted a systemic review of the drugs that can lead to cerebellar ataxia as an adverse drug reaction (ADR).

Methods: We performed a systematic literature search in Pubmed (1966 to January 2014) and EMBASE (1988 to January 2014) to identify all of the drugs that can have ataxia as an ADR and to assess the frequency of drug-induced ataxia for individual drugs. Furthermore, we collected reports of drug-induced ataxia over the past 20 years in the Netherlands by querying a national register of ADRs.

Results: Drug-induced ataxia was reported in association with 93 individual drugs (57 from the literature, 36 from the Dutch registry). The most common groups were antiepileptic drugs, benzodiazepines, and antineoplastics. For some, the number needed to harm was below 10. Ataxia was commonly reversible, but persistent symptoms were described with lithium and certain antineoplastics.

Hey bonty,

What is Ataxia?

People affHi Lapis, I think there are different types of Ataxias ected by Ataxia may experience problems with using their fingers and hands, arms, legs, walking, speaking or moving their eyes. Ataxia affects people of all ages. Age of symptom-onset can vary widely, from childhood to late-adulthood. Complications from the disease are serious and oftentimes debilitating. Some types of Ataxia can lead to an early death.

Hi Lapis, I think there are different types of Ataxias and severity ( unless there is another name for what we experience). here's an article that  mentions benzos as  one of the causes, thx goodness I don't have everything  mentioned.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25391707/

Abstract

Background and objectives: Cerebellar ataxia can be induced by a large number of drugs. We here conducted a systemic review of the drugs that can lead to cerebellar ataxia as an adverse drug reaction (ADR).

Methods: We performed a systematic literature search in Pubmed (1966 to January 2014) and EMBASE (1988 to January 2014) to identify all of the drugs that can have ataxia as an ADR and to assess the frequency of drug-induced ataxia for individual drugs. Furthermore, we collected reports of drug-induced ataxia over the past 20 years in the Netherlands by querying a national register of ADRs.

Results: Drug-induced ataxia was reported in association with 93 individual drugs (57 from the literature, 36 from the Dutch registry). The most common groups were antiepileptic drugs, benzodiazepines, and antineoplastics. For some, the number needed to harm was below 10. Ataxia was commonly reversible, but persistent symptoms were described with lithium and certain antineoplastics.

Great study, bonty! Thanks so much for sharing it. Now, that's a good one for people to save and share.

I was able to get the full study on SciHub, in case anyone wants it. Sometimes SciHub is a bit unstable, though, so bear that in mind.

https://sci-hub.do/https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25391707/ 

I'll have a look at it over the next couple of days.

Hi Everyone,

Here's a recent study on ototoxicity, which refers to substances that affect hearing and/or balance, e.g. benzodiazepines and antidepressants that can cause dizziness and/or tinnitus. The list of medications that are ototoxic is extremely long, and I posted a study on this recently.

"Analysis of reports of otoxicity, with symptoms of tinnitus, in the database of the Spanish Pharmacovigilance System for medicinal products for human use"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33226015/

Abstract in English, Spanish

Objective: One of the adverse drug reactions (ADR) can be the Ototoxicity, either in a cochlear level or in a vestibular one. This may cause an incapacitating symptomatology due to a hearing impairment or deafness, tinnitus, or a vertiginous syndrome. The objective of this work was to analyze the notifications of ototoxic ADRs registered in the FEDRA database of the Spanish Pharmacovigilance System for Medicinal products for Human Use (SEFV-H), manifested as tinnitus, describing epidemiological and prognostic factors, as well as active principles and associated therapeutic groups.

Methods: An observational retrospective study based on the incoming registers in the FEDRA database of the SEFV-H, with tinnitus symptomatology due to ototoxicity between 1984 and 2017 has been carried out. SPSS v.20.0 program has been used for the descriptive and inferential statistics searching elements related to the emergence, seriousness or recuperation of the tinnitus.

Results: A total of 662 patients notifications were obtained with 899 suspected drugs. 64% of the patients were women. The average age was 55.8 years old. An 8.5% of the tinnitus were classified as serious, meaning a significant and persistent disability. Evaluating the causality through the modified Karch-Lasagna algorithm (SEFV-H algorithm), a causal group credible or well defined, was discovered in 48.6%. In the ATC ranking, the most frequent group of cause drugs was the N, nervous system. It was concluded, among others, that the seriousness is more significant in men and that the elder group have a great influence in the tinnitus recovery.

Conclusions: The appearance of tinnitus brought on by medical ototoxicity may determine an important limitation on the patient. A vestibular and cochlear function monitoring must be carried out on patients under treatment with high ototoxicity drugs. The task of the pharmacovigilance seems to be essential, by spreading its results and stimulating the ADR notifications in order to identify pharmacological threats.

Hi All,

This article on ototoxic medications is really important. It covers the gamut, including the different types of symptoms -- both hearing and balance issues -- as well as what puts some people at higher risk than others. I've shared this article in the News section already, and I plan to share it with others outside BB who may not understand how so many medications can causes problems with hearing and balance.

Ototoxicity—The Hidden Menace. Part I: Lives in Upheaval

https://hearinglosshelp.com/blog/ototoxicitythe-hidden-menace-part-i-lives-in-upheaval/