The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying

[La...]

No only if I stay outside a lot but I think it’s mainly because Xanax is affecting my blood pressure (it’s always low) tomorrow I’m going to take a blood test

Yes, good idea. If there's anything high or low, those things can hopefully be addressed appropriately.  :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Lapis and everyone! I had a little over a month that I didn't have the pulling sensation and barely felt boatiness except at bedtime. It was heaven! I was riding in the car again and even drove for the first time in over a year. This month I made my 1 year milestone. Two weeks before I started feeling weird one morning and I thought " uh oh! Party over" LOL And sure enough it was. I was hit with rapid cycling of symptoms old and new in varying intensities every since. The boatiness and magnet pulling is back. Worst timing ever because I was supposed to move into my new apartment on the 15th. I've tried 3 car rides and non-medical transport to get there. So far I'm unable to endure the ride. So I'm going to have to wait for a window and try again. This time my pulling is coupled with high anxiety. I thought I had escaped this symptom ( anxiety). In my acute and during taper I had this but very mild. I'm wondering if I just force myself to ride in the car even when I'm having the strong magnet pulling boatiness...what will happen? Not knowing is what is revving up anxiety. Have any of you forced yourself to ride in the car while very boaty and pulling sensation? If so, what happened?

LadyDen

The boaty "pushing pulling feeling" has been a symptom of mine that keeps rearing it's ugly head.

I'm responding to give you hope.

I started with vertigo and boatiness during tolerance. It was bad. About 9 months after being benzo free the boatiness was gone. Almost overnight. I think I even came on this board and told someone it was gone. It may have been you. It was gone for a whole 9 months.

Well, the regular flu shot brought it back for me and I struggled with it daily again (and some other symptoms again) for about 4 or 5 more months. It was bad. I was holding onto my husband to walk. Then, it disappeared again around this past March. I thought it was gone again! Well, around Memorial day it returned again. This time I had about a 20 minute acute spell with it one evening. It was extreme I was shaking.

I sat myself down and centered myself. The acuteness lessened, but I was a bit boaty for 3 weeks, but not as bad as before though.

I am at 25 months. I take no other meds. No supplements. This symptom was my first in tolerance and it seems to want to come and go. When I have that symptom, It is worse when I lay down.

During acute I had issues with riding in cars and I definitely could not drive myself. I'd get akathisia pretty bad and the boatiness did not help. Early on the car was an issue for 4 or 5 months. I was not on benzo buddies back then and I did not know any better so I was "desensitizing" myself. Meaning I would push myself to walk, ride around, be around people and it felt awful. It was holy hell, well of course because my central nervous system was raw and I was stressing it instead of healing it.

I also have pushed myself to drive here and there just to get back to normal life. I don't HAVE to drive. There is no expectation. It is on my own terms, but just recently as April I pushed to drive and I could feel my brain strain a bit. I fooled myself and said I did well, but really it was too much.

Now I don't push anymore. I think there are some things that may have caused me to be protracted. Those things being pushing myself too much and the stress of the pandemic. I had to really be honest with myself. Ever since I've been in withdrawal I've walked 5 miles a few times a week. I have a Fit Bit. I keep track. I'm glad I exercise, but really does it need to be FIVE miles? Sometimes in the heat, or cold. Sometimes on little sleep. Sometimes when I've had heart palpitations. Sometimes right after a bad day of symptoms. I push.

Also, I have not really "relaxed" in the two years that I've been sick in withdrawal. We've had a house built. We've moved during a pandemic. In this time frame I've binge watched like two shows. This occupied just a string of a few weeks. A string of a few weeks IN TWO YEARS! I don't sit and let my mind rest. I may do so for about 2 or 3 hours, but for a person sick in withdrawal I suck at resting and letting go.

I've had all of the vestibular testing. Nothing showed up. I know benzos really messed up my vestibular system. My ears ring 24/7 and they have for 2 1/2 years. I still get hypercussis at times too. The tinnitus is faint, so I don't notice it.

What I want to tell you is that this crappy symptom will go away. Mine has lessened as time has went on and it comes and goes, but it's less.

You will be able to ride in a car someday. You will. In March of 2020 I couldn't even be around people. I was off balance and it kicked in the adrenaline which would bring on panic. Now I can converse with folks and I may get tired, but I just excuse myself.

I am still healing. I have more good days than bad, and I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I know it seems scary or like you'll be like this forever. I thought I'd never be able to be around people again for the rest of my life. I'm not like that anymore. It's been over a year.

Be gentle with yourself. You'll have a window and you'll make it over to your new place. You will, and you know this because you felt good enough to drive just a short while ago, so you know you will feel good again.

LadyDen, just get in the car and go.  You'll be fine.  It's just your mind telling you you might not me.  I even drive feeling confused, etc. and it works out.  Say a prayer before you go. 

For all of those experiencing this I suggest looking into cranial sacral therapy. It has helped me with this symptom in the past when coming off a med and is helping me again now with the same things.

LadyDen

The boaty "pushing pulling feeling" has been a symptom of mine that keeps rearing it's ugly head.

I'm responding to give you hope.

I started with vertigo and boatiness during tolerance. It was bad. About 9 months after being benzo free the boatiness was gone. Almost overnight. I think I even came on this board and told someone it was gone. It may have been you. It was gone for a whole 9 months.

Well, the regular flu shot brought it back for me and I struggled with it daily again (and some other symptoms again) for about 4 or 5 more months. It was bad. I was holding onto my husband to walk. Then, it disappeared again around this past March. I thought it was gone again! Well, around Memorial day it returned again. This time I had about a 20 minute acute spell with it one evening. It was extreme I was shaking.

I sat myself down and centered myself. The acuteness lessened, but I was a bit boaty for 3 weeks, but not as bad as before though.

I am at 25 months. I take no other meds. No supplements. This symptom was my first in tolerance and it seems to want to come and go. When I have that symptom, It is worse when I lay down.

During acute I had issues with riding in cars and I definitely could not drive myself. I'd get akathisia pretty bad and the boatiness did not help. Early on the car was an issue for 4 or 5 months. I was not on benzo buddies back then and I did not know any better so I was "desensitizing" myself. Meaning I would push myself to walk, ride around, be around people and it felt awful. It was holy hell, well of course because my central nervous system was raw and I was stressing it instead of healing it.

I also have pushed myself to drive here and there just to get back to normal life. I don't HAVE to drive. There is no expectation. It is on my own terms, but just recently as April I pushed to drive and I could feel my brain strain a bit. I fooled myself and said I did well, but really it was too much.

Now I don't push anymore. I think there are some things that may have caused me to be protracted. Those things being pushing myself too much and the stress of the pandemic. I had to really be honest with myself. Ever since I've been in withdrawal I've walked 5 miles a few times a week. I have a Fit Bit. I keep track. I'm glad I exercise, but really does it need to be FIVE miles? Sometimes in the heat, or cold. Sometimes on little sleep. Sometimes when I've had heart palpitations. Sometimes right after a bad day of symptoms. I push.

Also, I have not really "relaxed" in the two years that I've been sick in withdrawal. We've had a house built. We've moved during a pandemic. In this time frame I've binge watched like two shows. This occupied just a string of a few weeks. A string of a few weeks IN TWO YEARS! I don't sit and let my mind rest. I may do so for about 2 or 3 hours, but for a person sick in withdrawal I suck at resting and letting go.

I've had all of the vestibular testing. Nothing showed up. I know benzos really messed up my vestibular system. My ears ring 24/7 and they have for 2 1/2 years. I still get hypercussis at times too. The tinnitus is faint, so I don't notice it.

What I want to tell you is that this crappy symptom will go away. Mine has lessened as time has went on and it comes and goes, but it's less.

You will be able to ride in a car someday. You will. In March of 2020 I couldn't even be around people. I was off balance and it kicked in the adrenaline which would bring on panic. Now I can converse with folks and I may get tired, but I just excuse myself.

I am still healing. I have more good days than bad, and I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I know it seems scary or like you'll be like this forever. I thought I'd never be able to be around people again for the rest of my life. I'm not like that anymore. It's been over a year.

Be gentle with yourself. You'll have a window and you'll make it over to your new place. You will, and you know this because you felt good enough to drive just a short while ago, so you know you will feel good again.

WOW Fortitude you've had a rough go so far. I'm glad you're seeing some light. Thanks for sharing this with me. Yes I do recall you telling me about your boatiness a few months back. I didn't know you had the magnet feeling pushing too. It sounds like you did push yourself way too much way too soon. But guess what? I admire your spunk! My only issue I had with being around people was the noise they made. It's like the more I told them I'm sensitive to noise, the more they made. LOL now I'm far less sensitive than I was. For the most part all I do everyday is rest lately. I get up about every hour to walk around the house to let my brain know it's ok to be upright. To remind it that we did this only 3 weeks ago and we were fine. Sadly it isn't trying to hear that. LOL It must be fixing something really well because I'm feeling this symptom a lot. It was less intense a couple of days ago. It's good that you shared with me how yours went away and came back too. That gives me hope. I don't mind my brain fixing whatever. I just want a small little window to get to my new place. As soon as the moving car gets a short distance, I feel so much increase in my head symptoms. Then that starts anxiety/panic. I can sit in the car. I'm not scared of the car. It's the motion pulling on me more. I guess I'm just going to have to go for it and hope for the best as Becks said. Once again thanks for that encouraging post. Sending you better days wishes and hugs.

LadyDen, just get in the car and go.  You'll be fine.  It's just your mind telling you you might not me.  I even drive feeling confused, etc. and it works out.  Say a prayer before you go.

Great idea Becks! I'm just going to have to do it and hope for the best. Wow you're brave to drive feeling like that. You go girl! I'm going to borrow some of your bravery if you don't mind.  :smitten:

Ladyden, I don't have an answer. I had to move in January and I was lucky I guess. I drove in the back of my brothers new SUV maybe I felt safe?

But not now the boatiness, dizziness, anxiety has come back w a vengeance :(

Ladyden, I don't have an answer. I had to move in January and I was lucky I guess. I drove in the back of my brothers new SUV maybe I felt safe?

Sounds like you were very fortunate. Did you have the dizziness, boatiness or pulling when you moved? I'm sorry it has come back. I hope it goes away for you soon. It seems to me as I've read through this thread that it comes and goes but gets less intense each time. I hope this is true! Thanks for your story. Hugs

Sounds like you were very fortunate. Did you have the dizziness, boatiness or pulling when you moved? I'm sorry it has come back. I hope it goes away for you soon. It seems to me as I've read through this thread that it comes and goes but gets less intense each time. I hope this is true! Thanks for your story. Hugs

I didn't have it very bad that day. I was lucky.

Maybe what makes it worse is the "what ifs?"

But I sure know how awful it feels

It's come back plus the internal vibrating stuff.

I guess we just have the Just Do It Nike attitude. Lol good luck to you ladyden  :)

I can barely walk and have bad head pressure all time and dizziness too.  I drove twice today to Walmart way up the highway and bought a wall clock.  I couldn't even find my car in the parking lot to drive home.  I always have to say "Jesus help me."  I get very confused all the time.  I try to remember the row number I park in at Walmart.  It was too much for me, but I did it anyway.  I do it all the time no matter how bad I feel.  I'm sick of being restrained by my symptoms. 

Becks as I said before, you're so brave. The next time you go somewhere with a parking lot. Write down where you parked.  :thumbsup: Even before this ordeal I used to do that as soon as we park. I write a note in my phone. Sure enough I've ended up needing it. even with a group of us couldn't remember. Lol Enjoy your new clock. I'll be glad when I can go to Walmart or anywhere like a normal person. Hurry up boatiness dizziness and pulling and take a forever hike!

Here's the perfect vehicle for some of us floaty boaters, who'd like to get around town and who miss riding their bicycles. Riding in this cool contraption might just cancel out the boaty sensation all together!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9b/Sail_wagon_edit1.jpg

Okay, just a thought! Hope you're all on solid ground.

Looking back through this thread, this is what I feel I'm already riding on mostly everyday. LOL This is very cool looking sail wagon. Perf ct on a windy day but might not be a good idea going down a hill.

Hello everyone! I've read through this thread. I found maybe one person that has similar symptom of magnet pulling sensation as mine. This seems to be a rare symptom. Or did I just miss all the others that might be on another thread? I did meet another buddy that had this but hers happened while in acute from tapering an anti-depressant. Plus she said it didn't last as long as mine. I'm starting to wonder if this rare pulling down sensation is unique to Ambien?

Also I notice my fingers and toes itched like clockwork as soon as I'm going to sleep. Sure enough on the Ambien Zdrug thread it was more common. This itching is gone now. Every so often in a wave that happens at night I notice it mildly but just for that night.

So this makes me really wonder if my vestibular system was hit a little differently too because of Ambien. I'm thinking I might be one of those rare Ambien cases that the vestibular system got hit the hardest. I say this because almost all of my symptoms are head related ( boaty, dizzy, pulling, unbalanced, ears,headaches) Funny thing is this I'm in worse condition than some others who are polydrugged. Ambien is the ONLY pill I took. I never took more than my dose. Only at night at bedtime. I'm astounded at the damage.

Hi LadyDen et al,

I just wanted to copy and paste something that I put on the first page of this thread more than six years ago, and from it, you'll see that the "magnet pulling sensation" is well-represented in the words that many other BBs have used over the years to describe what they were feeling. I think it's more about language and how to describe things. It's not so much that you're an anomaly. I've come across many who have had that sensation. Perhaps it's just have a hard time describing what we feel.

Here's what I wrote back then:

I’ve come across an array of descriptions of this wacky sensation. Below is a partial list. Please add more if you’re feeling creative!

Dizziness

Disequilibrium

Floaty Boat/Floating/Boatiness/Boaty

Vertigo

Falling

Flying

Wobbling

Undulating

Bobbing

Rocking

Swaying

Wooshy

Fishbowl Head

Magic Carpet Ride

Banging Into Walls

Pushed and Pulled

Force Field

Magnetic Force

Moving Floors/Tilting Floors

Resisting the Current

Up and Down Elevators

Pulsating to the Rhythm of the Heartbeat

Thank you Becks and Lapis.

I do recall that list and have looked at it several times. But what I'm saying is even though it's on the list, most of the people have the dizzying or boatiness and not the magnet sensation pulling. Especially having it for this long. I'm glad that I've finally experienced it going away for the almost 2 months that it did or I'd be terrified to be like this permanently. It is my worst symptom. Even being boaty, I can sit up and do a number of things. But this pulling me down sensation I can't do anything. Strangely each time it increases in intensity I get loose stools with it. VERY WEIRD. I've read through this thread and as I said, I haven't found hardly anybody with this symptom especially with it being coupled with diarrhea. I have seen a couple of them being pulled to the right or left. But mine is a pulling down strongly. I'm wondering which part of the brain is responsible?

It's just a bit difficult and frustrating to have a symptom that hardly nobody else has. The one person who did is long gone. But I look at it like this, seeing that it's so persistent, atleast my brain is trying to fix it.  :thumbsup: For the record, it's extremely debilitating! Can't drive, can't walk around, can't cook, can't shower, can't ride in a car, can't finish a meal sitting up, etc This one symptom makes me want to put a huge sign in my yard that says " DO NOT TAKE AMBIEN".

Becks did you have pulling or just dizzy?

LadyDen, I've read in another thread that you were relieved for a month a a half of your dizziness symptoms. This is very encouraging! I hope you'll get better soon.

I am hard-pressed to understand the difference between Dizziness, Disequilibrium and Floaty Boat.

And this is the thing....the vocabulary can be quite confusing. Dizziness refers to a range of symptoms, including lightheadedness, presyncope (fainting), vertigo (spinning), disequilibrium (floaty/off-balance sensations). And people regularly use the word vertigo to cover all of it, even though that's incorrect. It's definitely problematic. It seems best to try to describe the sensation in your own words, especially if you're trying to talk to a medical professional about it.

Here's what the AAFP says:

https://www.aafp.org/afp/2010/0815/p361.html

Dizziness accounts for an estimated 5 percent of primary care clinic visits. The patient history can generally classify dizziness into one of four categories: vertigo, disequilibrium, presyncope, or lightheadedness. The main causes of vertigo are benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, Meniere disease, vestibular neuritis, and labyrinthitis. Many medications can cause presyncope, and regimens should be assessed in patients with this type of dizziness. Parkinson disease and diabetic neuropathy should be considered with the diagnosis of disequilibrium. Psychiatric disorders, such as depression, anxiety, and hyperventilation syndrome, can cause vague lightheadedness. The differential diagnosis of dizziness can be narrowed with easy-to-perform physical examination tests, including evaluation for nystagmus, the Dix-Hallpike maneuver, and orthostatic blood pressure testing. Laboratory testing and radiography play little role in diagnosis. A final diagnosis is not obtained in about 20 percent of cases. Treatment of vertigo includes the Epley maneuver (canalith repositioning) and vestibular rehabilitation for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, intratympanic dexamethasone or gentamicin for Meniere disease, and steroids for vestibular neuritis. Orthostatic hypotension that causes presyncope can be treated with alpha agonists, mineralocorticoids, or lifestyle changes. Disequilibrium and lightheadedness can be alleviated by treating the underlying cause.

Diagnosing the cause of dizziness can be difficult because symptoms are often nonspecific and the differential diagnosis is broad. However, a few simple questions and physical examination tests can help narrow the possible diagnoses. It is estimated that primary care physicians care for more than one half of all patients who present with dizziness. 1 Dizziness is the chief presenting symptom in about 3 percent of primary care visits for patients 25 years and older, and in nearly 3 percent of all emergency department visits.2,3

Dizziness can be classified into four main types: vertigo, disequilibrium, presyncope, or lightheadedness. Although appropriate history and physical examination usually leads to a diagnosis, the final cause of dizziness is not identified in up to one in five patients.4,5

I see. I have a "boat-like floaty sensation", not spinning. I'm still confused as to what "light-headed" means exactly ^^

I see. I have a "boat-like floaty sensation", not spinning. I'm still confused as to what "light-headed" means exactly ^^

It's the feeling that you're going to faint. For example, it can happen when you get up too quickly. Because I have low blood pressure normally, I've often had this lightheaded feeling. I have also fainted quite a few times in my life, which is what happens when you lose consciousness. I've fainted on days when I also have disequilibrium (the floaty-boaty kind of dizziness), and even after I've regained consciousness and no longer felt lightheaded, the disequilibrium remained. So, the fainting passed, but the disequilibrium went on and on.

I think most people around here have disequilibrium. But I've heard of some people with vertigo/spinning sensations too. It just seems to be less common here.