60 Minutes excerpt about antidepressants: "Is There A Placebo Effect?"

[La...]

My "Benzodiazepine" file is quite fat now! I've got some printed files and some online files and square eyeballs from reading all of it! There's a systemic issue here, which involves individuals, of course, but larger networks that have sown the seeds of the problem and eased the way for it to continue.

I'm a bit hopeful about the UK, though. I've come across many newspaper articles that unflinchingly discuss the issue and its enormity. Here's just one them, and this one features Dr. Clare Gerada. Check the caption.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/health/news/article3924489.ece

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [La...]

• [...]

• [wh...]

• [co...]

[77...]

My "Benzodiazepine" file is quite fat now! I've got some printed files and some online files and square eyeballs from reading all of it! There's a systemic issue here, which involves individuals, of course, but larger networks that have sown the seeds of the problem and eased the way for it to continue.

I'm a bit hopeful about the UK, though. I've come across many newspaper articles that unflinchingly discuss the issue and its enormity. Here's just one them, and this one features Dr. Clare Gerada. Check the caption.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/health/news/article3924489.ece

The caption says, "Dr Clare Gerada says it can take two years for a patient to come off benzodiazepines." Wait, I thought she said it wasn't a problem. I'm I thinking of the same person?

Right, but the date of The Times article is November 2013, and our BBC radio program was from 2011. Progress? The British National Formulary (benzo) update document I shared elsewhere in the News section refers to a possible 6-18 month time frame for symptoms after the last dose of long-term benzo use. I'm not sure if there's a connection between the two items, but they're both from November 2013.

Just getting back to Dr. Clare Gerada and The Times article, I clicked on one of the sidebar articles, and here's the headline and first few paragraphs (need a subscription to see the whole thing):

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/health/news/article3664213.ece

Dr. Heather Ashton is mentioned! Perhaps I should post these things with our BBC article, or separately in the News section, but I just wanted to link it here since we've been discussing it. Is there cause for hope across the pond? It seems The Times has been following this story and shedding light on it.

[77...]

I'm seeing more and more hope across the pond, especially compared with the US. It's going to have to come from outside the US.

It's hard to see a change in policy for benzos (a class IV controlled substance) when 6-year-olds are regularly prescribed Ritalin (a schedule II controlled substance) in this country.

Oh, that's another sad situation -- children who are medicated. Guess what happens if you start them on medication at a young age?

And if you give SSRIs and benzos to pregnant women, their babies can be born in withdrawal.

And if you give benzos to elderly people, they can become dizzy, fall and break a hip. The stats aren't good for elderly people with hip fractures.

So, at all ages, these psychiatric medications can be extremely dangerous.

"First do no harm." I keep thinking about that oath.

I keep wondering how people can sleep at night and look at themselves in the mirror during the day. No conscience? No ethics?

Easy, they sleep with their money and deposit their ethics in the bank.  :-\

[77...]

For those interested in cognitive symptoms caused by SSRIs, here's a recent study (abstract only) from Spain/USA/Italy:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25462418

So 20% experienced cognitive impairment while they were on it? I thought it was mainly during withdrawal. Wow.

I have a friend with a PhD in English who's been on Zoloft for about 5 years. She tried to come off it with an 8 month taper and ended up reinstating. She's been using Luminosity for a couple of years because she thought her forgetfulness was due to age. She's only 55 and one of the smartest people I know. Criminal what these drugs are doing to people.

The sad stories are abundant, aren't they? I'm counting on the brain's neuroplasticity to help return everyone back to health. I'm so glad we have the "Success Stories" section on this site so that we can see the examples of people who return to wellnes, because otherwise, there's a lot of bad news out there. :-(

[77...]

The sad stories are abundant, aren't they? I'm counting on the brain's neuroplasticity to help return everyone back to health. I'm so glad we have the "Success Stories" section on this site so that we can see the examples of people who return to wellnes, because otherwise, there's a lot of bad news out there. :-(

Your research is great, Lapis.

Yes, I also believe in the neuroplasticity of the brain. Back in acute, I was using Google maps to find my way home, even when out walking my dog in my own neighborhood where I've lived for 6 years.

I couldn't "see" in my mind to tell directions. Plus the derealization caused this sort of tunnel vision.

And now my spacial skills are coming back stronger than they were before. Still have cog fog, but nothing like during the first 3 months.

So I really do believe we will all heal. Just a matter of time.  :smitten:

Yes, I also believe in the neuroplasticity of the brain. Back in acute, I was using Google maps to find my way home, even when out walking my dog in my own neighborhood where I've lived for 6 years.

I couldn't "see" in my mind to tell directions. Plus the derealization caused this sort of tunnel vision.

And now my spacial skills are coming back stronger than they were before. Still have cog fog, but nothing like during the first 3 months.

Still getting caught up here, lots of good stuff.  But just wanted to give a cheer for Mind!  So great to read this!  :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

Touching on neuroplascticity, has anyone heard this woman's story.  Quite fascinating.

Neuroanatomist Jill Bolte Taylor had an opportunity few brain scientists would wish for: One morning, she realized she was having a massive stroke. As it happened -- as she felt her brain functions slip away one by one, speech, movement, understanding -- she studied and remembered every moment. This is a powerful story about how our brains define us and connect us to the world and to one another.

From where I sit, you have a fantastic brain, MindSeeker! Keep the faith!

And yes, of course, the brain is an amazing thing! Even as I wobble about in my floaty-boaty-dizziness, I try to tell myself that. Again, those Success Stories and the brave BBs who have gone before us give me hope for healing. Truthfully, without those stories from the other side of the BB (hellish) experience, I'd be hard-pressed to find any hope anywhere.

[77...]

I read Dr. Norman Doidge's book, "The Brain That Changes Itself", on the subject of neuroplasticity. Fascinating!

I want to read this book. Still having trouble concentrating but I have soooo many books I want to read.

I have a theory - folks who are practicing mindfulness and listening to guided meditation seem to be struggling less through withdrawal, and I'm wondering about the long term benefits of doing that. Since withdrawal takes months (and sometimes years), this becomes a habit.

I know my looping thoughts are now either guided meditations or Baroque music (I use it to help with concentration). I don't have negative thoughts like I used to. Been listening to guided meditation at night and during work as much as possible. Mooji lives in my head.  :)  ;D

[77...]

Still getting caught up here, lots of good stuff.  But just wanted to give a cheer for Mind!  So great to read this!  :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

Touching on neuroplascticity, has anyone heard this woman's story.  Quite fascinating.

Neuroanatomist Jill Bolte Taylor had an opportunity few brain scientists would wish for: One morning, she realized she was having a massive stroke. As it happened -- as she felt her brain functions slip away one by one, speech, movement, understanding -- she studied and remembered every moment. This is a powerful story about how our brains define us and connect us to the world and to one another.

I love that video, abcd! Someone posted that after I first joined this site and I watched it a LOT! It's very inspiring.  :)

This thread has such a wealth of information! I'll be catching up for awhile. Thanks for all the links!

MindSeeker, good for you to do all that meditation! With the floaty-boaty-dizziness, I found that my best bet is to distract, i.e. not to do anything where I focus too much on what I'm experiencing internally. I did try mindfulness a tiny bit, but it was a really unpleasant thing for me. Music, sudoku, the radio, internet articles, movies, books, other people, etc., all work better for me. We all have to find what works, I guess.

I read Dr. Norman Doidge's book, "The Brain That Changes Itself", on the subject of neuroplasticity. Fascinating!

I want to read this book. Still having trouble concentrating but I have soooo many books I want to read.

I have a theory - folks who are practicing mindfulness and listening to guided meditation seem to be struggling less through withdrawal, and I'm wondering about the long term benefits of doing that. Since withdrawal takes months (and sometimes years), this becomes a habit.

I know my looping thoughts are now either guided meditations or Baroque music (I use it to help with concentration). I don't have negative thoughts like I used to. Been listening to guided meditation at night and during work as much as possible. Mooji lives in my head.  :)  ;D

I think this would be a great discussion for another thread, Mind.  It's helped me in more ways than I ever thought possible! 

I actually have been meaning for a while now, to start a thread for sharing different meditations.  Must get to it, wish all these little things were easier for me to do, ugh!

For more reading material, check out The Times thread I just started. There are some interesting bits in there for us to discuss.

Here's Part 1 of a 2006 press conference featuring Dr. Joseph Glenmullen just before the FDA Advisory Committee Public Conference on the connection between antidepressants and suicide. He offers a wealth of facts and statistics that are as heart-breaking as they are informative. Like some of the other doctors we've heard from on this thread, he tells of information that was ignored or suppressed with tragic results.

Part 2:

Part 3:

Just listened to this!  Shocking, shocking, shocking, how this has been known for DECADES!  No words!

I'm so very happy so many prominent and ETHICAL professionals are now speaking up!

[77...]

Another David Healy video. Only 50 views and it's been out for over a year. Really sad that more people aren't seeing these videos and articles.

[77...]

[nobbc]www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpOtJ_C4qas[/nobbc]

Another Gwen Olson video. She really goes into what it was like as a big pharma rep. Now she's a whistleblower.

Sick sad world sick sad world. . . .

Edit: deactivated link

[77...]

Sanitas Radio - Gwen Olson - YouTube

Another Gwen Olson video. She really goes into what it was like as a big pharma rep. Now she's a whistleblower.

abcd and Lapis, I just listened to this one and it was very, very eye-opening. I don't know if all of it is true, but it's a scary look into that world.

Sanitas Radio - Gwen Olson - YouTube

abcd and Lapis, I just listened to this one and it was very, very eye-opening. I don't know if all of it is true, but it's a scary look into that world.

I've listened to her in the past but not this one I don't think.  Ugh, was just trying to listen to the other Healy one and had to quit.  Can't do much of anything today, it's a bad one, sxs too overwhelming!  Yeowee, are we all having fun yet?  :idiot:

Going to try her now, let's see if I can manage this one better.  Really "enjoying" (what's a better word to use?) listening to all of these, guys, thank you again.  Really wish I didn't have such a sieve of a memory.  You'll get yours back, Mind.  Me, it's just me, lol, been like this always, you can imagine the grades I got for history during high school, don't even ask!  8)  I do have a wonderful memory for nonsense stuff though.  I must pick up my DSM and see what "illness" I have!  :o