• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Mo...]

• [Sl...]

• [Co...]

• [ha...]

• 1 month later...

Happy to be a newbie in the second decade. There is nothing like this because specificity is important.  :smitten: to lookingforward. I'm with you on your story.

Benzos as we all know here are widely misunderstood and much more. They are ghastly to get off of. I had no hope until the skyrocketed price of Xanax and uncontrollable rage got me here. I can't even remember how I located thus forum. I had been looking for help a long time.

The service provided here Colin is unique and a matter of life and death really. My days are improving rapidly with the help of BB. There's no where else to go that I could find and the connection is a necessary part of the withdrawal process. The information is good and the people grand. Thank you all.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for keeping the faith board open.  It is a needed place here I truly believe.

You are very welcome! 

PG  :smitten:

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your kind words.

Yes, 8,000 new members over the past two years seems about right, as we have averaged 350+ new members per month over that period. And, the vast majority of those members go on to at least introduce themselves (so, little to no spam accounts created here).

The sad fact of the matter is that we know from general studies that only a tiny minority of those who gain benefit from a particular site will join and participate. Nor will all those in need of support look for it online; and of those, not all of them will seek it from BB. I estimate that BB members represent far less than 1% of those in need of help at any one time. However, as I mentioned, our reach is greater than those just those who have joined and posted to BB (some will lurk and read instead). Some 'lurkers' will eventually join us (we know this because they sometimes tell us).

It is also worth mentioning that only a fraction of long-term benzodiazepine users are to get off these drugs. Maybe they are happy with their meds, but most of us here know how benzos can zap us of reason and motivation. So, I expect that the majority of those who might benefit from quitting never reach the stage of actually dong anything about it. What I'm saying is that BB and our members must represent only the tiniest fraction of the problem. That's pretty mind boggling.

I've just checked - well over 6,000 members have logged in to BB over the past year. Let's guesstimate that only 1 in 1,000 of those seeking kelp with their benzodiazepine use join BB (it might be far less than that). This would work out to be 6,000,000 people looking to quit benzodiazepines over a year. And, as I mentioned, many who might benefit never make any effort to quit because they are too fogged or unmotivated by the very drugs which might be the cause of their problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1%25_rule_%28Internet_culture%29

Thank you for this post. Mind boggling. I am going to copy this to give to my PCP. And to my neurologist.

• 3 weeks later...
I've just joined in the party, at ~12.5 years into the history of this wonderful group. Thank you Colin et al for keeping this site open. It is because of you that my son has hope for the future, and a way forward today. Bless you.  :smitten:

• 2 months later...

Colin, if you're still getting messages; I owe you man! I remember when I had first recovered enough to even turn on my laptop (I lived on a couch back then) and I found BenzoBuddies, you were having troubles with some wierdo and it was discouraging for you. I'm really glad you hung in there and got rid of him because even that was too much for my nerves then! I tell everyone about this forum.

peace and blessings,

stasia

• 2 weeks later...