Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Suboxone for Klonopin? Help!!!

[to...]

Several physicians in my area are offering Suboxone for treatment of benzo addiction. I'm aware one can't mix benzos and Suboxone and the dangers therein. I am not addicted to opiates.  However it has been suggested Suboxone could help me get off a six year and fairly heavy Klonopin habit.

What I need to know is this: Is this unheard of?  Has anyone heard of Suboxone for Klon detox?  Any opinions on its effectiveness, if so?

Thank you. I have an appointment soon, so a quick answer would be appreciated.

Several physicians in my area are offering Suboxone for treatment of benzo addiction. I'm aware one can't mix benzos and Suboxone and the dangers therein. I am not addicted to opiates.  However it has been suggested Suboxone could help me get off a six year and fairly heavy Klonopin habit.

What I need to know is this: Is this unheard of?  Has anyone heard of Suboxone for Klon detox?  Any opinions on its effectiveness, if so?

Hi, I've never heard of this, and I don't think I like the idea much!

I don't know much about suboxone. I suppose in some way it would help ease the wd, but I certainly wouldn't use it as a substitute.

Aside from all that, I have also heard it shouldn't be used as an adjunct to benzos, so I'm not sure why these docs would suggest it.

Several physicians in my area are offering Suboxone for treatment of benzo addiction. I'm aware one can't mix benzos and Suboxone and the dangers therein. I am not addicted to opiates.  However it has been suggested Suboxone could help me get off a six year and fairly heavy Klonopin habit.

What I need to know is this: Is this unheard of?  Has anyone heard of Suboxone for Klon detox?  Any opinions on its effectiveness, if so?

All I remember about suboxone is that it is also addictive and hard to get off of.  I believe it is used for those trying to kick an addiction to opiates somewhat like methadone. 

Hi tothnews

I was given Subutex which is basically Suboxone but with an extra drug that would be of no use no someone not addicted to opiates and will block out the effects of any opiate you take. So if you had an accident and needed Morphine then it would have no effect as the Buprenorphine and Naltraxone (2 ingrediants) block all opiates including Codeine, Oxycontin, hydrocodeine etc.

I was addicted to 50mg Diazepam at the time and was buying too many Codeine products Over the Counter in chemists (something you can do in the uk). They put me on the Sub because they said it would stop OTC addiction and help with coming off of Benzo's. i was told that it was basically a wonderdrug which can be taken for long periods without tolerance or significant withdrawals because of its partial agonist properties (I dont know what this means). i can only give you my experience and that is Suboxone is a very serious drug and i would not reccomend it to my worst enemy (except maybe some of the docs who are pushing this stuff). It is many times stronger than Morphine and mixed with benzos will cause extreme sedation and whilst it does indeed help with coming off of benzos I have found it much harder to come off than any drug I have ever taken including Benzo's.

I am talkning 3-4 months of the worst WDs you could imagine. Complete innsomnia, intense dysphoria (depression), Feeling like you are freezing to death and worst of all it induced in me an inner agitation that made it impossible to sit or lay still. I thought I was honestly going insane because I was making those jerky movements and repeated leg shaking you see in patients on long term Nuroleptics. But the lenght of time this lasted was the worse. Basically this drug floods your opiate receptors with a long lasting, constant supply of the drug and when it finally leaves your system and I dont think it matters how small you taper down to, You will get the nastiest side efffects because not only will it suppress a lot of the benzo WDs which will be felt when you come off of this as well but you will have the WDs from a very strong opiate. I had only had mild Opiate withdrawals before coming off this but felt the full force with this. it has given me a better understanding of why Heroin addicts go to such lengths to get their drug. I got to a state of almost total breakdown where i was so tired from innsomnia my body felt like lead and yet any attempts to lie down were met with the wriggling itchy inner agitation coupled with intense anxiety.

I was on this vile drug for 8 months and on a dose of 24mg which made no sense at all considering its  36 hour half life but I have read a lot of other people, some only on less than half a MG and only for a month and it still took them weeks to get anywhere near normal.

I am sorry if I rant but it makes me so angry that this is being suggested as a Benzo taper med. If I had the choice now I would have tapered off the benzo and taken the harder WDs instead of the double whammy I got of a tough Benzo taper and an unbelievably tough Suboxone one 3 months later. Some of these doctors need to be locked up!

• 2 weeks later...
I had a doc who wanted to give me this drug. NO way. I ran away as fast as I could.  These docs sit there with their prescription pads, and they have no flaming idea what they are doing.  Its bad enough someone gave us benzos.  How DARE them try to give you this crap.