Weight loss won't stop...what do I do?? HELP!!

[So...]

I too have lost weight.  15 lbs in 3 months... maintaining now.  I weigh 95 lbs at 5'3".  I am 66 yrs old and had a body of a 40 yr old, 6 months ago, now I am a bag of bones.  In June I was doing dog sports and exercising every day.  This weight loss is scarey.  I am actually eating more now than I ate before.  Dang K w/d.... I am not allowed gluten, sugar or fructose or starch vegetables.  So drinking lots of raw milk with my homemade cocoa syrup sweetened with stevia.  I too have been using pink Himalayan salt.  This is crazy having to be so careful what one eats.  I am having problems with burning skin and keeping fluids down.

Yeah, the weight loss sucks!! Same here, I eat more now than before. But, still can't stop losing.

Mine came from fear of food during my c/t. I have really only reacted to one thing so far, but get too scared to try other things, for fear of a reaction.

Homemade cocoa syrup?? Yum!!

But, I can't do any artificial sweeteners. I found out that I am allergic to them, pre-benzo.  :-\

My main symptom is heart issues.

I hope things get better for you.  :)

Hugs,

Nana  :smitten:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [So...]

• [ov...]

• [ak...]

• [ti...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Nana:  Stevia is a natural sweetener from the Stevia plant.  It is a safe sweetener.  This is what my nutritionist told me to use.  So I mix organic unsweetened cocoa powder with boiling water to a syrupy consistency then add stevia to taste (it is much sweeter than sugar,so use less), stir and store in container in refrig.  I mix this with RAW whole milk.  The amino acids in milk are very good for the body and brain as is the fat.  I also use raw butter, raw cheddar cheese and raw cream.  Nutritionist took me off oats so I don't use the cream so much any more.  Although the cream is great beaten and add vanilla, stevia and berries, yummy and fattening.  Hmm think I will send hubby to store to get me some cream, lol.

Ensure is a bottle of sugar and chemicals, makes me feel guilty putting that garbage in my body.  I was drinking 2 a day, prior to being taking off sugar, but it didn't add any lbs, in fact I lost a few more.  Think my body is running on adrenaline and cortisol, lol oh yeah, and maybe a little anxiety.  Whenever I get anxious, I lose weight.  Now that I am in a constant state of anxiety, what should I expect.

Have a great evening!

Overcomer

Nana,

The same thing is happening to me! The lower I go the more weight I lose. It is scary. Everyone is so concerned and think I should be going to doctors to get help. I don't know what to do....I have changed my diet so many times. The last thing is that a naturopath put me on the GAPS diet. But even since starting that I have lost weight.

I can't eat more calories because then I get constipated. I do smoothies, but they get really bland tasting...and I can only do one or two avocados a week or they cause me digestive upset too. I wonder if it is something psychological that the benzo is doing?

I really am praying for answers!

Emily

Just throwing it out there, being a bodybuilder water is one of the most important things, I mean If you drink a gallon of water a day that about 8 extra bounds you're going to put on.

Creatine is a supplement that helps the body/muscles retain water you could put on a decent amount of water weight drinking a lot and taking creatine  :smitten: :smitten:

I think that I am just going to have to suck it up, and go back to the way that I used to eat!! I was a porker on that diet!!  ;D

Adding pasta back into my diet should really help put the weight back on.

I have got to stop fearing foods!! I have yet to have a reaction to any of them, except for oatmeal and avocados. Those two did cause a small reaction in me, for some reason.

But, I am drinking decaf coffee, with a store bought creamer. No reaction. I actually feel better while drinking.

Hmmm...

I do drink a lot of water. But, I need food weight...not water weight.

Hope everyone is able to start eating and gaining again!!

Hugs,

I had lost a lot of weight from tapering hydrocodon (and c/t fentanyl) in 2012.

For me to gain back the weight I lost, I kept track of my calorie intake per day, and eventually bumped it up to 2500 calories per day, but I had to increase the calories gradually, not all at once.  Then I started to gain weight.  I also drank two "Ensures" per day, two of those were an extra 750 calories a day.

I wrote down everything I ate and drank along with the calories for each item.

Hang-in there, my friend.  :smitten:

Hey Disneygirl,

I tried the Boost shakes, talk about a ton of sugar!!

Is the Ensure lower in sugar?? I will have to check those out.

I think that my calorie intake is around 1300-1500 per day. So, not enough.

Hugs,

I think Ensure does have a lot of sugar, but I was desperate to gain wait, so I drank 2 per day, along with trying to eat healthy and at the same time, things that were high in calories.

Once I started gaining weight, somewhere along the way, I stopped drinking the Ensures.

Hi.  I finally found the name of a supplement that I used to take.  It is high calorie, low allergy potential, and has 6 grams of sugar per serving.  No artificial sweeteners.  Best yet, it comes in chocolate, and vanilla and other flavors too.  It is by a company called xymogen.  The website is xymogen.com.  It is called opticleanse GHI.

An answer to your other question.  I have tapered a bit quickly.  I am getting more insomnia and restless sleep.  I'll get through it.  I don't really have a choice.  I want my life back!!!  I take that back, I want a better life and I am going to get it! 

Nana:

Have you actually determined want your total daily calorie intake is?  I know you said you were drinking protein shakes, but ones you get at the grocery store only have about 200 calories in them. if you go to a health food store, you can buy them with a lot more calories in them. I know you're scared, but just eat as much as you can. I personally have no problems eating about three candy bars a day, not including my snacks and meals. They don't rev up my system at all. I guess everyone is different. I have the opposite problem. I have gained 15 lbs since I began my taper in July. I'm hungry 24/7. I just ate dinner a half hour ago and I am ravished. So it's no more snacks and candy bars for me. I need to lose this weight. I would eat more fatten foods. Italian. Pizza.  Lots of cheese. Drink OJ in the am and pm.They also has calories in them. Instead of hummus. substitute it with Cream Cheese. I am not one for a no dairy intake. I just eat what I want, msg and gluten as well, and have no symptoms. I plan to starve myself until I lose this weight. Why not eat the terrific muffins that you can get at a bakery? Stuff yourself. I personally eat three bowls of Cheerios and two English muffin for breakfast. Plus a tall order of OJ. I plan to cut this down to one bowl of cereal and one English muffin. Can we please trade places? I hope this helps. Once you finish your taper, I am guessing that the weight will come back. Good luck to you Nana. Hugs, Betsy

Hello my friend!!

I know...I know!! I just need to eat.

I guess my fear of foods is still going strong. I have tried so hard to make myself eat different things. I even ate a Steak n Shake cheeseburger and fries yesterday!!

But, McDonalds doesn't agree with me right now.

I love my cookies that I found. Snickerdoodle!! My favorite!!

I am having a little tummy trouble now and then. I was hoping that going gluten free would help, but it hasn't.

I need to try some hot chocolate. I have been craving it!!

Thanks for your advice!!

Hugs,

Hi there Nana my favorite PM buddie:

You're headed in the right direction my friend. Keep stuffing yourself with candy bars, ice cream, pizza, hamburgers, fries, etc. From your chart, it seems that you're not taking in enfu calories. Sneakers and Kit Kat bars are a big GO! So are granola bars. The sugar intake doesn't cause me any problems, and I hope this is the same for you. :smitten: Betsy

Sophia, I was going to suggest avocado, but see you have a reaction to it.  I'm the same as you, lost weight and couldn't seem to get enough calories. I have zero appetite.  What did help was the Seroquel.  I take that at night and about an hour later, I find I could eat a horse.  So I do eat more at night now, but I wouldn't recommend Seroquel to put on weight.  It is working for that though, also helps my insomnia and has put the brakes on my anxiety for now.  Not 1 heart palp since taking it.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for it, it's a big gun and has some serious side effects that can go along with it. 

People seem to either gain weight or lose weight with anxiety.  I think most gain weight, but there are those of us who just start losing weight.  My stomach clamps shut and just does not want any food.

I sure hope you find something that works for you.

Love,

Rabbit

I am eating waaay more now than prior to July.  July/13 is when I began to lose weight for apparently no reason.  I know the reason now K w/d.  by the end of Aug/13 I had lost 10 lbs, then i lost a few more, so I am hanging in around 95 lbs soaking wet on a 5'3" frame.  Since I have stomach issues and am having difficulty keeping liquids down it is difficult to drink anything thick like a shake.  I have been drinking a lot of whole raw milk, at least a qt a day.  A gallon of raw milk costs $16.  Wowie zowie.  I am taking mega doses of acidophulus to kill off bacteria.  So I  eating lots of protein and vegetables, no sugar, no fructose.  I am dying for an apple.  I am working with  a nutritionist.  Right now I am dreaming of a giant cinnamon roll with gooey frosting on it and a Starbucks Venti Mocha coffee.  When I am recovered that is the first thing I am going to get to eat!!!!  I haven't lost any more weight (fingers crossed).  This kind of weight drop makes me feel like I am 80 instead of 66.  I used to work out every day and do dog sports.  Oh well, pretty soon, when the taper is over and as I get well, I will be back at it, right!  We will get better!!!!!

Overcomer  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I'm hopeful that one day this digestion/weight thing will be overcome for all of us! Good luck, good vibes, prayers and whatever anyone needs - I'm sending to us all!

Emily

Nana:

Have you actually determined want your total daily calorie intake is?  I know you said you were drinking protein shakes, but ones you get at the grocery store only have about 200 calories in them. if you go to a health food store, you can buy them with a lot more calories in them. I know you're scared, but just eat as much as you can. I personally have no problems eating about three candy bars a day, not including my snacks and meals. They don't rev up my system at all. I guess everyone is different. I have the opposite problem. I have gained 15 lbs since I began my taper in July. I'm hungry 24/7. I just ate dinner a half hour ago and I am ravished. So it's no more snacks and candy bars for me. I need to lose this weight. I would eat more fatten foods. Italian. Pizza.  Lots of cheese. Drink OJ in the am and pm.They also has calories in them. Instead of hummus. substitute it with Cream Cheese. I am not one for a no dairy intake. I just eat what I want, msg and gluten as well, and have no symptoms. I plan to starve myself until I lose this weight. Why not eat the terrific muffins that you can get at a bakery? Stuff yourself. I personally eat three bowls of Cheerios and two English muffin for breakfast. Plus a tall order of OJ. I plan to cut this down to one bowl of cereal and one English muffin. Can we please trade places? I hope this helps. Once you finish your taper, I am guessing that the weight will come back. Good luck to you Nana. Hugs, Betsy

Hello my friend!!

I guess my fear of foods is still going strong. I have tried so hard to make myself eat different things. I even ate a Steak n Shake cheeseburger and fries yesterday!!

I am having a little tummy trouble now and then. I was hoping that going gluten free would help, but it hasn't.

Thanks for your advice!!

Hugs,

Thanks for the reminder.  I forgot I have hot chocolate packets (the diet kind from Swiss Miss, because, unlike you, but like Benzogirly Girl, I have added a few unwanted lbs). 

I'm going to make hot chocolate right now at 3:30 a.m. California time, and will enjoy it to the fullest!

Benzogirly Girl he he he. When you stop treating me like a 5 year old? I guess I just opened myself to a smart retort.  :)

Nana,  For my adrenal fatigue I am taking hydrocortisone low doses 3x a day.  I am also taking something called dr wilsons adrenal rebuilder.  It is called a glandular.  I am also supplementing with vitamin c and magnesium.  For my thyroid I am taking a natural thyroid hormone (prescription).  It is working for me.  I have hypothyroid too.  That didn't stop my night of the living dead impression either!  How is your blood pressure?  Mine was really low before I started treating the adrenals and thyroid.  It was around 92\60 most of the time.  It got lower.  I was dizzy, bu had chalked it up to withdrawal.  It was partly, but when my bp went up most of my dizzyness went away.  Good luck!

So, the hydrocortisone doesn't bother you??

My blood pressure runs about 110/70.

I had the crazy lower blood pressure and dizziness during my c/t. It is better now. I just get it every once in a while.

I take Vitamin C and a good sea salt for my adrenals. I have noticed a difference since doing this.

Hugs,

I read that sea salt is high in glutamates.  Just letting you know.  I was very disappointed.

Oh, aren't you the spoiler. :smitten: Betsy

Weight loss is very common. Just ignore this and continue to concentrate on your taper. Weight does come back, honestly. I now need to exercise to keep my weight right where I need to be.

Jake

Weight loss is very common. Just ignore this and continue to concentrate on your taper. Weight does come back, honestly. I now need to exercise to keep my weight right where I need to be.

Jake

Thanks for the encouragement Jake! How much weight did you lose if I can ask? And how soon did it come back?

I lost about 19 Lbs, which is alot for me. My hunger came back strong shortly after I stopped K or shortly before I jumped. Huge cravings for sweets. I also had major digestive problems all along and that too is back to normal. Like I mentioned before, concentrate on your taper and all will come back to normal.

Jake

Anybody have ideas on how to gain weight, when a person is gluten free, carb free except for vegetables and sugar free.  I am eating loads of protein, meats, raw nuts, 3 eggs a day, loads of veggies and raw milk, 1 qt a day.  Still can't gain weight.  Look like a scare crow, weigh 95 lbs, soaking wet. Yikes!  w/d K complete hap hazard w/d with loads of s/xs on 11/22/13.  Presently tapering .5 mg V from a temazepam c/o to V 15mg.  And the ride begins.

Overcomer  :smitten: :smitten:

[f9...]

Same here. 5'8" and around 130 lbs right now.

I've cut gluten out of my diet.

There goes a lot of carbs. I love bread, with butter..

You should eat anything that is ( most important) MSG free, and eat food that are low in glutamate.

Avocados are good, fish, smoked salmon.

Maybe make a salad with steak strips.

Don't eat junk good to gain weight. It's the. Wrong fat and bursting with MSG, which makes problems worse on benzo's.

It is hard to eat stuff that  is healthy but fits with " us".

I still eat oatmeal, gluten free. It is high in glutamate but I need the fiber.

Hi Mom: I am eating an avacado every day plus fish oil, coconut oil, raw butter.  I am eating more now than before I began losing weight in July.  I lost 15 lbs from July - Sept.  Incredible, I used to eat less than what I am eating now.  Didn't understand the weightloss, it was due to K w/d.  I am not eating ANY processed foods and trying to eat organic.  Also I would love to stick with pasture fed beef and chicken, but it is hard to find.  Plus it is difficult to get hubby to eat the beef as it is not near as tasty as regular beef.  Even the pasture fed beef is tough.  I noticed that glutamate is in most canned foods and processed foods in fact the list is incredible.  If I had any energy and could be out in the sun I would grow a garden!

xo Overcomer  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

[f9...]

Oh, I know! 

Do you have a whole foods near you or something?

We have pasture beef all the time and I actually think it tastes better.

MSG is in even canned soups, sauces, marinades, you name it.

It's shocking, really.

When they say " less sodium" be especially aware. It means they put more umami in, the savory flavor, from which MSG is also derived.

If you have a Costco near, they have great organic chicken now too.

Hey Mom:  Thanks did not know Costco has organic chicken.  Unfortunately no whole food within 20 miles of here.  Been getting some organic at Ralphs, and sprouts.  Poor honey is running around getting all this stuff and even juicing for me.  What a guy!  We like the Costco rotisserie chicken, and I read that has glutamate in it REALLY!  We love that chicken and it is a meal I don't have to cook.  I think that is probably my one downfall.  Plus we love to use Lipton's season salt, guess that is out also.  What next??  My diet is limited enough.  I am dreaming of Starbucks and a giant cinnabon.  At the end of my taper, I am going out and getting it!!!

xo Overcomer    :smitten: :smitten:

I don't think the question is about what we eat but are we absorbing nutrients properly in our guts. Since benzo w/d causes GI issues, such as irritation in the bowels absorption can't be achieved fully, for example, do you see undigested food in stools? weight loss while eating roughly what you were eating before this is a sign of malabsorption.

In my opinion we should just make sure we are eating well, a good healthy diet as it can be and not stress too much, absorption will be restored once all functions work as they're supposed to.

I've been listening to some videos by Dr Robert Morse ND....he was suggested by River Wolf. He states a lot of malabsorption problem stem from kidney and lymph stagnation. I am starting to agree because I have been eating the healthiest I ever have in my life and still look like a skeleton. I am going to try some of his techniques to see if it will lclean out mykidneys and then get lymph fluid moving. Then supposedly the gut will start reabsorbing nutrients again.

Don't know if this will help...but with the drug, I am sure out kidneys are struggling!

Nana:

Hello my friend!!

Thanks for your advice!!

Hugs,

Hi there Nana my favorite PM buddie:

You're headed in the right direction my friend. Keep stuffing yourself with candy bars, ice cream, pizza, hamburgers, fries, etc. From your chart, it seems that you're not taking in enfu calories. Sneakers and Kit Kat bars are a big GO! So are granola bars. The sugar intake doesn't cause me any problems, and I hope this is the same for you. :smitten: Betsy

betsy,

you smooth talker...i'll bet you tell this to ALL your PM buddies....hahahahahaha caught ya!

I have been reading about all this weight gain with fascination because never in my life have i had such a problem.  i feel like i've been on a weight loss diet my entire life because at 5'3" i have to be vigilant, especially coming from a family where everything centered around food.  so i might even have a little of that body dysmorphic thing where i think i'm fatter than i am.  or maybe i'm accurate.  who the hell knows.  i'm just fascinated though by everyone having to push up their calories.  i feel like it's a club i can never join.

i haven't been weighing myself at all.....i'm in month seven of benzo cold turkey withdrawal, and i just don't feel like focusing on food or weight at all.  i figure i can do that later.  i know i gained abiut 15 lbs. pretty quick but my clothes still fit so i guess i'm acceptable, although maybe a bit on the plump side (for me).  i'm fed up with worrying about it and should probably count my blessings after reading what you all are going theough.

i can imagine how frustrating it must be though to not be able to keep the weight up.  i know that when you don't have an appetite or fear tha certain foods are going to make you feel terrible, it must be awful to have to force yourself to eat.  i actually don't have much of an appetite either, but i do force myself to eat healthy-ish foods.  i have indulged in a little extra sugar than normal and did resort to fast food the other night, which was a bad idea because i know it's loaded with MSG.  still mostly vegetarian.  i have no idea what foods or fitamins set off my waves, or iff they are out of my control.  right now i'm continuing in my massive tsunami and needing a lot of support....worst time to date except for that time i ate vietnamese soup loaded with msg.

OH WELL, JUST WANTED TO STICK MY FACE IN HERE even though i don't belong.....Betsy, i think i'm gonna get out of bed and fix myself a rip roaring bowl of crunchy cereal in your honor.  i do use almond milk, though, so does that make me better than you?  i love you betsy boo.

I adore YOU MY TWO ANGELS betsy and denise and all the rest of you precious peeps.  maybe i'll get to know you guys better, but i have only a small group of PM regulars, so, maybe i'm more aloof than you friendly guys.  obviously, by my writing, i'm lonely, scared, and needing love.

needy greetings from sunny CA!