Weight loss won't stop...what do I do?? HELP!!

[So...]

I don't think the question is about what we eat but are we absorbing nutrients properly in our guts. Since benzo w/d causes GI issues, such as irritation in the bowels absorption can't be achieved fully, for example, do you see undigested food in stools? weight loss while eating roughly what you were eating before this is a sign of malabsorption.

In my opinion we should just make sure we are eating well, a good healthy diet as it can be and not stress too much, absorption will be restored once all functions work as they're supposed to.

Agree 100% :thumbsup:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [So...]

• [ov...]

• [ak...]

• [ti...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Weight loss is very common. Just ignore this and continue to concentrate on your taper. Weight does come back, honestly. I now need to exercise to keep my weight right where I need to be.

Jake

Thanks for this. I've been losing about 1/2 a pound a day the past week. My appetite stinks. Food tastes different, and I get overwhelmed by flavors quickly and start to feel nauseated, so eating is not my number 1 favorite thing to do right now. To be on the safe side, I'm using protein shakes and taking vitamins so I get the best nutrition that I can. I had no idea benzos had messed my brain/body up so much.

I lost about 18 lbs, but kept working out at the gym, though it was difficult, so I kept my muscle mass.  I think this helped me bottom out at 18 lb loss or I would of lost a lot more weight.  Also eat well, protein,good carbs and some decent amount of fats.

This has probably been suggested but load up on organic nuts cashews almonds walnuts...very dense and good for you. Forget the fat content fat doesn't make you fat and you need calories anyway. Really helped pull my weight up and maintain it.

Jack:  I have been eating 2 cups of raw nuts, at least a day.  I have always loved nuts but now they are hard to eat, even my teeth hurt and the benzos robbed me of saliva, thanks benzos.  Nothing tastes good, but I force myself to eat.  Benzos also affected my stomach acid so my esophagus is inflamed, makes it difficult to swallow anything.  Even water wants to come up.  I am in a pickle.  Forcing myself to eat to try and gain weight.  Lost 15 lbs in 4 months, scare, down to 95 lbs soaking wet.  The weight loss is weird, just came with the K taper.  I was eating the same, now I eat more, guess the anxiety burns off the calories.

Overcomer  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hello Nana i too have weight loss about 50 pounds since about 8 months ago, I used to weigh 185 pounds now i weigh about 137 about 48 to 50 pounds it is from the lorazepam, started my taper about 2 weeks ago. Worried too about the weight loss. Sounds like you are trying to take steps add to your calorie intake. Going to the health food store is something I have been thinking of doing too. Get some shakes with more calories in them. And just start eating more carbs and more fat. I understand what you are going through not on the gluten free diet or cutting out the sugar. Hope we can get our weight back up there. Good luck with your weight gain.  :thumbsup:   

Back in November due to personal crisis and extreme non-stop stress I lost 30lbs in just over a week. I could not get this under control whatsoever. That is when my pdoc put me on an antipsychotic for about a month or so. It really slowed down the anxiety and also put the weight back on. Antipsychotics are notorious for weight gain. If you think that this might be something to consider, you might want to talk it over with your doctor.  The good thing about AP drugs is that many of them do not have to be tapered once you want off of them - it is just a matter of picking the right one. Almost all AP drugs have the abililty to put on about 50% of your body weight. It did work for me and very quickly too. Obviously everyone is different and this may not be a solution that suits your particular case.

I hope you feel better soon.

Antipsychotics cause weight gain by making you insulin resistant or hypothyroid. Dianzmom have you thought about slowing down your taper to let your body calm down a bit? Just a thought...

I have issues too with wt loss. Before I realized I was in tol and interdose wd I was dx with fibromyalgia. Well than I thought and quit gluten, minimal dairy and no processed foods. Stomach a little better but honestly I don't know anything really bc benzos give u benzogut and digestive issues so who knows what what. It's so confusing. All I know is what makes me feel worse and so I don't eat those things. I don't have an appetite at all. Could go all day not eating. Things taste funny. I m nauseas. Metallic taste like Betterdays does. Losing wt more and more. Looking like way too skinny!!! Herbalife protein and meal replacement shakes. Glutenfree noodles, rice, beans, vegis, fruit, eggs, chicken, fish, salmon, avocados, red meat....my husband cooks. Glutenfree frozen yogart. Almond milk. Chex cereal. Feta cheese. Popcorn with parmesan cheese. My diet is clean but not enough cal for sure!! That's the problem. Not enough cal bc I have an aversion to food right now. Started when I started the benzo and got worse on the tram. Benzobelly doesn't help. I do the best I can.

Hey Grinch:  Ditto to everything you said.  You are smarter than I.  I tapered off the tram 100-200mg a day in 3 weeks, 10/13.  Crazy!  Glad you are taking it slower.  I was pretty dumb coming off 2 drugs at the same time.  But who knew, pdoc didn't say I was doing it wrong.  Then when I got into s/x trouble, he says well, you came off 2 drugs too fast, duh????

I need to gain weight also.  I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and sjogrens' in June.  Since then I have lost 15 lbs.  But is it really fibro and sjogrens or really just benzo and tram w/d s/x.  The symptoms are almost identical.  I guess when I come out of my benzo hell we will find out if I really have fibro and Sjogrens.  Hope not.  and hope I get over my s/xs soon!

xo Overcomer  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Omg overcomer!!! Exactly my point! And hope! Was I misdiagnosed and its been the tol wd and interdose wd from xanax and tramadol this whole time?? God I hope so! Either way, in the end, we ll be off this shit!!! And that is a success!! :thumbsup:

Early on I had lost weight.

But now I am now dealing with Benzo Belly (I think). My stomach looks like a bloated tick :tickedoff: and now I feel weight coming back on but only in my gut. What happened to my 4 pack okay...well 2 pack?

For a couple of months the weight just kept coming off but that has now changed. Not sure why. Did not need to lose weight but not comfortable with weight gain around my mid section. What gives? is it normal for weight to fluctuate during w/d?

Betterdays,

This is the first time I have used my laptop to be on bb. I was always on my phone. The little icons above don't move on my phone. I have been in serious wd from tramadol since Sat when I dropped dose again. Lots and lots of pain and RLS and pain in my legs! At least I'll be ready when it hits with xanax taper. UGH. Anyway, I haven't laughed or even smiled all weekend, just barely hanging on and your mad little icon you put into your message made me laugh out loud! I didn't know he threw a tantrum! Thank you for making me smile! I keep watching him. Haha. All this time and I had no idea they were animated! I'm in hell, but you made it better so thanks!

And call me T....that's what my friends and family call me. Short for Teresa  :smitten:

T........So, so sorry you are going through torture time w/ the Tramadol. You know I took just one last week and felt god awful the next day. I think it messes w/ our benzo w/d.  I remember how bad it was last year when coming off of it after surgery. Hang tough - it WILL get better! Funny you should mention RLS because that is what I had last week when I stopped taking Percocet (for dry socket) after being on it for just 2 weeks.

I'm glad my little tantrum man put a smile on your face!  That is how I feel when I see my stomach all puffed out. I know there are much worse things to worry about and hope you are able to hang on to some semblance of "normal" through your difficult time. Be well....

I have been maintaining 95 lbs for a few months, 15 lb weight loss since 7/13.  I was under weight to begin with.  Now that I am w/d from K and tapering from the temazepam w/V, the stomach acid is getting worse.  Acid keeps coming up.  I need to remedy this as I have such a problem with fluids staying down, if I keep on like this I won't be able to do a liquid taper later on.  I am down from 15mg V to 14 mg now. 

Need to update my signature.

I am taking it the consensus is some of us just won't gain weight for a while, it is scarey being this thin.  I can see bulging veins, that can't be good! and it is ugly too!  I did not have this before the weight loss.

xo OC  :smitten: :smitten:

I am having a little tummy trouble now and then. I was hoping that going gluten free would help, but it hasn't.

Nana  :smitten:

Going gluten free you will not see results for up to four months. If gluten was your problem. It's possible that an underlying gluten intolerance is behind a lot of people on this board because that leads to malabsorption of nutrients which leads to the sorts of problems that get people taking benzos.

It's sad because then not only do you have a benzo problem, but you still have the underlying digestive and nutrient problems unsolved. But there is no way to know for sure if gluten is your problem unless you either 1) stick with a completely gluten free diet for many months, or 2) get a bunch of tests. They don't recommend you do number 1 if you think you will ever want to do number 2 because going gluten free will mess up the test results.

Kallor:  You can have a gluten blood test for celiac, which mine was negative, but you can still be sensitive to gluten, that will not show up in any test.  The only way to find out is to delete gluten from your diet,  like you said.  I have been gluten free for 8 months now, and no difference that I can see.  I see gluten as not a good thing anyway, so I plan to keep avoiding it.  Trying to eat lots of protein, veggies and little fruit.  Gave up coffee and tea (no caffeine) except in homemade chocolate syrup I make with organic cocoa, boiling water and stevia.  I add this to raw whole milk.  My treat, twice a day.  If the milk is raw, the lactose is tolerable for people.  It is the pasteurization that causes milk to cause some people to become lactose intolerant.  Only problem is, it is hard to gain weight, eating like this!!!  Oh yeah, avoiding soy, almost all soy is GMO!

[83...]

I have issues too with wt loss. Before I realized I was in tol and interdose wd I was dx with fibromyalgia. Well than I thought and quit gluten, minimal dairy and no processed foods. Stomach a little better but honestly I don't know anything really bc benzos give u benzogut and digestive issues so who knows what what. It's so confusing. All I know is what makes me feel worse and so I don't eat those things. I don't have an appetite at all. Could go all day not eating. Things taste funny. I m nauseas. Metallic taste like Betterdays does. Losing wt more and more. Looking like way too skinny!!! Herbalife protein and meal replacement shakes. Glutenfree noodles, rice, beans, vegis, fruit, eggs, chicken, fish, salmon, avocados, red meat....my husband cooks. Glutenfree frozen yogart. Almond milk. Chex cereal. Feta cheese. Popcorn with parmesan cheese. My diet is clean but not enough cal for sure!! That's the problem. Not enough cal bc I have an aversion to food right now. Started when I started the benzo and got worse on the tram. Benzobelly doesn't help. I do the best I can.

Hi, I lost lots of weight too and when I read this, my eye caught the word Parmesan.

Parmesan cheese is one of the foods highest in glutamate...just a heads up on that.

When I could not eat much, I stuffed a quick GF sandwich in my cheeks with peanut butter. Thinking at least I will eat some thing okay. But peanuts are high on the glutamate list as well.

So, maybe try to do the popcorn without the Parmesan and see if it helps ? Can't hurt to try?

Grinch:  There is a glutamate thread.  They will explain it to you.  It is pretty confusing.  But the main jest is that we want to not elevate the glutamates in our brains any more than they already are by ingesting glutamates.  A lot of foods contain them.  I think it almost impossible to totally avoid them but at least worth a try!

• Popular Now