Important Survey - Please Participate ×

yikes..doc gave me lyrica and seroquel to finish my taper...is this ok???????

[wh...]

Hey I am at .173 of the klonopin at a slow and painful taper since Dec 6th and went from .5 to .173 and having a very difficult time and the past 4 wks a lot more sweating and fear and mental things where my mind goes in dark places...and the fear is ememse along with the anxiety.

Addiction doc gave me yesterday seroquel and lyrica for my mood and anxiety..and said it is ok to take it while I complete the wd.

I took 12.7 seroquel and 25mgs of lyrica when I got home and settle right down and slept well and then this morning had a pounding headach and read on the internet about seroquel and lyrica and I am afraid if I can take this or will it mess my brain up more and harm me?

or can I hold a month and my brain will settle down?

help me here.

thank you

gayle

Hey I am at .173 of the klonopin at a slow and painful taper since Dec 6th and went from .5 to .173 and having a very difficult time and the past 4 wks a lot more sweating and fear and mental things where my mind goes in dark places...and the fear is ememse along with the anxiety.

Addiction doc gave me yesterday seroquel and lyrica for my mood and anxiety..and said it is ok to take it while I complete the wd.

I took 12.7 seroquel and 25mgs of lyrica when I got home and settle right down and slept well and then this morning had a pounding headach and read on the internet about seroquel and lyrica and I am afraid if I can take this or will it mess my brain up more and harm me?

help me here.

thank you

gayle

I can't tell you what to do with these drugs. You have already looked them up and researched them. I have seen a few here that have used seroquel in a small dose to use for sleep. Lyrica has been described as difficult to taper from. I would suggest you do a forum search to read about what others here have to say about them.

Holding on .173mg of Klono has not helped you in the past. I would suggest as I always have to get off of the Klono as soon as possible so you can heal.

Thanks Theresa,

what I worry about is I have more mental than physical now...more mental thoughts going around in my brain and anxiety and all ...and feeling like I am losing control..this is scarey..and lots of depression..if not for that I would be not feeling so bad but the pressure with the anxiety is a lot ...I really have not held for a extended length of time...I say I will and then keep going as I feel I am taking too long to get off this ..I have not held more than 6 days at a time..mostly one or two days..so I don't know.. at times I wonder if I am going too fast for my brain to heal..seems it is my thinking that is screwed up..

thanks.

gayle

I second T2 suggestion with klono. Your not going too fast! I personally think getting off faster is what will help you. You cant really begin to heal when your still tapering. I dont think holding for an extended period will be helpful.

As for the other meds you have to weigh that yourself. Research, talk to your doctor and go by how you feel. If you are very depressed do what you need to do to help.

I hope things improve quickly for you.

Amanda

Hi Gayle,

I see you posted your question, that's great.  It's always good to see what others have to say, even if we have to make up our own minds, right? 

Actually, as I said many months ago, I agree with the others so far, that you may have been tapering too slow.  And that you'll probably feel better once you get off.  Or at least, you can really start healing then.  Some people just can't taper that slow, for whatever reasons.  We are all so unique. 

On the other meds, I've heard of people tapering off benzos with Lyrica.  It has a benzo-type action, you probably know, being that it also acts on GABA.  So it's probably more of a substitute.  So it's your decision, with your dr.    The Lyrica is a fairly low dose, by the way. 

adelia

thanks amanda and adelia,

I want off this so bad ..and I remember the two failed detoxs I went to where the first time I came off .25 and had a horrid time and I am not far from that...173 is just a little less ...and the second time was .5 and horrible and had to reinstate...I want to stop now..this is horrid and I am worried.  it is not that I do not want to..I am wondering what will happen?  If I feel bad now ...what happens when I jump off this high ?  or speed up?

I am getting very depressed and more mind stuff now as I go lower and worried.

I am wishing I knew if it was ok to take this mess or not that the doc ordered..I am having trouble sleeping and I am trying to keep the dose low on the lyrica and now afraid to take the seroquel since I read it can cause brain damage..geez...

and I had a headach all day still..not sure what caused it..lyrica or seroquel..but the sleep I got was heavenly...just don't know what is ok and not ok and this stresses me more.

help me here.

thank you

gayle

I think you have some good instincts about these drugs, Gayle.  I know you are still looking here and there for relief from the anxiety and depression but I don't know of anything that helps without having potentially bad side effects.  I've never taken Lyrica and rejected it when it was prescibed for diabetic neuropathy because of the bad things I'd read about it on the forum.  I have been on seroquel, as much as 300 mg, so if I were going to take anything,  I'd be more likely to try a low dose of seroquel intermittently so as not to become tolerant and dependent.  What your doc prescribed (12.5 mg) is a low dose, btw.

Unfortunately anything you "take" instead of "do" to relieve anxiety will eventually stop working.  I think you'd be better off getting some therapy to learn how to lessen your fears and reduce your anxiety.  Fear has been kicking your butt since you first came to the forum and you don't have to continue living in fear.  It's up to you, though.  Oh, and I agree with the others about you needing to finish your taper sooner rather than later.  IMO you are just dragging out the misery.

Good luck.   :thumbsup:

If you continue to taper at least 1ml or 1/2ml per day on your klono taper, you can be done in 17 to 35 days and that is considered a safe taper. The first times you came off all at once. It's not the same thing.

As far as the seroquel, it is probably giving you the headache. I don't think you would have to take it every night. Just when you are having trouble sleeping. I don't think you will have brain damage taking it at a low dose once in a while. I've never heard anything good about Lyrica but others might say something different.

thanks theresa and beeper..

I know I have been scared since the beginning and I am sorry for that and I feel it is from remembering the ct's and the hell and then wondering if I damaged my brain.

ok thanks for what you said about the seroquel/lyrica....I am desperate for anxiety relief and depressiion and insomnia...I do need to learn to control this myself however I feel it is the benzo doing this..I only have to think a thought and my body shakes from fear...and escalates..if I was off the drug then I would not fear as much..the thought of going faster is worrying me what will happen as I want this to be my final time to get off this..

can you explain to me about the taper and how to you said to be off in 17 to 35 days?  I have it in 400 mil of liquid..minus 1 mil...and how would that be that quick?  I need to toss more out..but do I take a little each day or take some and hold and go more..hey I am equivalant to 3.5 of valium and I do not think tho that one is suppose to get off that amount in 3 to 5 wks right?  usally dump 1/2 to 1/4th of a mg of v at the end of the taper and hold 2 to 3 wks so if you look at that ..would I be going too fast ?

thanks

gayle

Most members handle mixing 1mg of klono with 100ml of liquid and tossing 1ml per day for 100 days. You should be able to handle mixing .50mg in 50ml of liquid, toss down to .17 and continue removing 1/2ml per day, that would be 34 days. You have .25mg in 400ml of liquid and removing 1ml a day?? That will take you 400 days for .25mg?? That is over a year?? I must be getting that wrong?? :D

help me here.

thank you

gayle

I can't tell you what to do with these drugs. You have already looked them up and researched them. I have seen a few here that have used seroquel in a small dose to use for sleep. Lyrica has been described as difficult to taper from. I would suggest you do a forum search to read about what others here have to say about them.

Holding on .173mg of Klono has not helped you in the past. I would suggest as I always have to get off of the Klono as soon as possible so you can heal.

Gayle,

I would strongly agree with T2.  I had a hard time at the end of my taper.  I even prolonged my getting off by holding at .127 twice a day for a month instead of making the next to last cut.  All I did way drag out the effects of what I was feeling.  I was so glad to be off.  So you know, we all do heal differently and it can be even faster for you than others, but you will never know if you don't let go.  Just pray about it and make a good decision.

Karen

thanks theresa and beeper..

I know I have been scared since the beginning and I am sorry for that and I feel it is from remembering the ct's and the hell and then wondering if I damaged my brain. 

There is absolutely no evidence that a person can get permanent brain damage from a c/t off the amount you were taking.  When that thought enters your mind, talk back to it and shout it down.  You seem to still be living in the past and making it worse for yourself in the present.  It is just thoughts that are getting you into trouble but the good news is you can also use thoughts to get out of it!

ok thanks for what you said about the seroquel/lyrica....I am desperate for anxiety relief and depressiion and insomnia...I do need to learn to control this myself however I feel it is the benzo doing this..I only have to think a thought and my body shakes from fear...and escalates..if I was off the drug then I would not fear as much..the thought of going faster is worrying me what will happen as I want this to be my final time to get off this..

While you may be having some tolerance withdrawal making things worse, I am sure that is this toxic thinking that is making this so hard.  All your problems will NOT go away the day you take your last dose.  There is a healing process that goes on and you will need to learn to calm yourself without drugs or else you will eventually turn back to them for relief.  Use these last weeks to really prove to yourself that little by little, you can regain control of yourself.  You CAN do it.  :thumbsup:

can you explain to me about the taper and how to you said to be off in 17 to 35 days?  I have it in 400 mil of liquid..minus 1 mil...and how would that be that quick?  I need to toss more out..but do I take a little each day or take some and hold and go more..hey I am equivalant to 3.5 of valium and I do not think tho that one is suppose to get off that amount in 3 to 5 wks right?  usally dump 1/2 to 1/4th of a mg of v at the end of the taper and hold 2 to 3 wks so if you look at that ..would I be going too fast ?

thanks

gayle

I didn't titrate so depend on folks like Theresa for this information.  I know you think that going very, very slowly will make things easier but clearly they do not in your case.  If you believe you are going to feel worse as you finish your taper, I believe it will happen  - and vice versa: if you keep telling yourself that by getting this poison out of your body you will feel better and better, that will happen, too.  I am reading a book "The Biology of Belief" and it is astounding how much control the mind has over the body. 

thanks Beeper, Karen, & Theresa,

oh man I want to quit this drug and I am afraid to go faster and then get so screwed up that I cannot handle the wd's again like I failed before 2 other times and reinstated..this is a big fear..and I wake up and am so tight and anxious and this scares me..feel so sick when I wake up...sleep and then when the morning comes I dread it...I find that the lyrica helps me to sleep with melatonin...yes it is best to not take a thing...I am feeling so strange I am going to the neurologist on monday to see if I have MS or parkensons or brain damage..and I am worried I have a anxiety disorder and do not know if it is from the drug and the fear and anxiety and depression from all what I loss and the feeling of being sick so long or what ...but I feel so bad and when I see .173 to go I panic...I want off this but this is equal to 3.5 mgs of valium..so how long does it take to come off 3.5 of valum...like 4 or 5 months right?  so I am afraid I will crash and burn at removing 1 mil a day from the .173 and be off in 35 days..that would worry me ...is that right ?  I do not want to go into cold turkey hell..yes I am going slow but I read somewhere at the end of the taper we are to go slower..so I am mixed up here.  My tongue feels sore today and I do not know if it is a reaction to the meds or just the wd.

I feel so sick and sweaty & my doc says to hold til my hormones settle down....so I am so confused...I am so sick & sweaty..........can't leave the house...feel awful...this has been hell & feel like I am getting worse as I go lower.

I feel like I do not want to harm myself...so my choice is to take meds & calm down or maybe flip out & do something to myself.  I hate this mess..thanks for responding...my doc that gave me the seroquel & lyrica wants me to just stop the k now & use the seroquel & lyrica to ct....afraid.

plus if my hormones are out of wack would this stopping or coming off first mess me up more or should I balance my hormones first?  scared I am damaged forever.

Just wanted to say that I am 2 years off a fast taper (off 1mg ativan over 3 weeks) and my depression/anxiety was horrendous for the first 18 mths off.  I have suffered depression before, but nothing like this drug induced depression.  Over the new year the panic was constant daily (including nights) and I went to the doc for help.  He put me on propranolol bcause my pulse and bp were way up with the constant panic.  This has helped and now when panic bad I can feel it, but rest of time more manageable, as this drug drops the adrenaline flow or slows it down at least.  As for the depression I hardly get it now - have the odd day here or there, but nothing like I used to and I can almost talk myself through it and it really helps now that I know thatll be gone by the next day.

The depression/anxiety is the worst, but it does get better I promise.

Best of luck on your journey

Spring

thanks Theresa and Spring

I want to go faster and like Spring mentione here..she got that anxiety and depression bad coming off fast and I got that when I did both my ct's and I am now getting it again coming off slow ..and bad enough I almost feel like going to the dang hospital.

doc says lyrica and seroquel will cut the anxiety and depression down but I am not liking the drugs. 

good call on the propranonol...Spring ..I have some but only taking 10 mgs a day and so maybe I need more?

well Theresa..I want to finish up the benzo that fast and my mental condition scares me at the moment...my hormones are a mess & so are my norephenphrine & dopamine levels messed up....worried...don't think the hospital can help .

well I have to get off this no doubt.