Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Diabetes Drugs

[Bl...]

Hi - I just typed this long explanation asking which diabetes drug I should take, but the session timed out and I lost everything.  Short question - I'm in protracted withdrawal from klonopin and fentanyl. It's been going on for ten months, but I totally stopped the klonopin 3 months ago.  The glucophage is burning my GI tract and I've been on it for 2.5 months.  It also makes the vibrating feeling much worse throughout my body core.  What diabetes meds do people use that don't aggravate the protracted withdrawal process?  Thanks.

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, BlueRidgeBubbles.  ;D

I have type 2 diabetes and take glucophage (metformin) and occasionally glucovance.  I became terribly ill when I was originally put on the glucophage.  After struggling for nearly 6 months to adjust to the dose (2000mg/day), my doctor reduced my dose and over time, my GI system adjusted.  I was stable on ativan at the time so I don't know if this is any help to you.  How much glucophage are you on?

I started with 500mg glucophage twice a day for a month, then 850mg twice a day.  I had the gas and other GI problems at first, but this burning esophagus is really bad.  I did not know until I read some posts here about withdrawal from benzo can cause GI problems.  'Problems' is an understatement.  I spent New Years Eve on the floor truly believing my stomach was going to explode - it was so distended and hard and it burned, too.  I went to the GI Spec and specifically asked if it was from w/d, he said no.  Now my stomach and intestines don't particularly burn, but my esophagus still does.  I'd been on Nexium for years from 1 to 2 pills a day regularly.  But I quit that last summer when I learned about how great an impact it has on bone loss.  My teeth are loose from bone loss and both feet have broken for little reason.  The pieces of this pill puzzle are slowly falling into place.  I don't know if the whole esoph burning is solely caused by the drug use and w/d, or if there is something else going on.  I didn't have an acid-reflux problem before I started all the pills years ago - antibiotics, opiates, benzo, etc, etc. I do know that drinking baking soda water helps, but not enough.  I'm thinking that my nerves are so sensitive that even a little acid or irritation from the glucophage is intensified greatly.  One doctor wants me to try an extract derived from the plant Gymnema sylvestre.  I've never heard of this supplement before and don't think there are long-term studies of side effects, which I'm sure you can appreciate I am now more keenly aware of.