Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

[Is...]

Well, I did it.  Took my last gabapentin yesterday at 3pm.  was at a low dose 4 times a day.

My hearing was bad the rest of the day like i had a tin can on my head.  And seeing a few sparks

of light here and there.  Seems that most of the issues with this med are physical.

Which is not at all like the benzos. 

I will keep posting the effects as the days go by.

One positive thing this morning,  my mind is clear. 

:D

Congratulations!!!! This is such great news! Please keep us posted! Happy Healing! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup::yippee: :yippee: :yippee::highfive: :highfive: :highfive:

Hopeful Girl

Yesterday afternoon I finally slept deep.  Same as last night.  Just my melatonin, L-theanine, magnesium.

The nausea is still with me but not as severe.  I have felt kind of fluish all week.  Meaning fatigue.

This morning when I woke up I felt more rested.  The mental part of it is almost non existent.

So different than the Xanax.  The physical to me seemed worse, mostly the extreme nausea.

The Zofran has been a life saver there.

The one thing that has been a surprise is actually feeling when i get a little cut on my hands.

So will have to be more careful. 

Yesterday afternoon I finally slept deep.  Same as last night.  Just my melatonin, L-theanine, magnesium.

The nausea is still with me but not as severe.  I have felt kind of fluish all week.  Meaning fatigue.

This morning when I woke up I felt more rested.  The mental part of it is almost non existent.

So different than the Xanax.  The physical to me seemed worse, mostly the extreme nausea.

The Zofran has been a life saver there.

The one thing that has been a surprise is actually feeling when i get a little cut on my hands.

So will have to be more careful.

Thanks for the update! So glad you slept!

Yay Coffeelover!  Way to go!  Hopefully things just keep getting better!

What dose were you taking when you finally quit?  I'm wondering how far to taper down.  I'm still at 190, so I have a ways to go.  But so far it has been relatively symptom free!

I would guess I was at about 150 split in 4 doses.  Just got too hard to measure

so I gave it a shot.  Will be a week tomorrow.  The nausea is still with me, but little by little

I think better.  The sweats come and go.    I can feel some of the bulgy gross water type

weight leaving me.  Not craving sugar any more.

I think I just got tired of the up and down.  I am assuming it will be a while before my brain is

back to normal, whatever that is.

I am so glad your withdrawal is going well.  Utahgal.

Hi all,

You all are doing so great. What a privlage to be with you on this journey. I have been fighting extreme withdrawl sxs. I am now 10 months off Neurontin. 

Heal all of you.  You are the best....

Love IslandGirl

The nausea is still hanging on.  The sweats are less often.

The rash I have had on my chest for 3 years is almost gone.

Seems as if my heart rate and BP have slowed back down.  But still feels

like it's pounding in my chest alot.

You are all so encouraging, after finishing up K I was beginning to think I couldn't do another taper for a few wks there;  but I'm getting to the point where I think I can start to think about it.  Talked to the doc... first she wanted to cut me by 100 mg and i told her "the talk on the street" was about 10 mg. per 10-14 days and that it would be much easier to do w/ liquid and she said to let her know when I wanted to start.  Feels good to find a little credibility again.  I'm actually feeling some notion of excitement about there coming a time when I will be totally med free.  Other things in my life are starting to look up as well.  I don't feel like my life is a reflection of real life anymore... feels like I'm right here where I belong! :smitten:  Happy March to all.  You all sound like you're persevering... good news! ;)

I would say give your system a month after you are done with the k.  I have to dose of of painkillers next.  But want some time to not be sick or miserable.

I dropped my gabapentin another 10 mgs with no problems.  I'm down to 180.  I will continue to drop 10 mgs every 10 days.  My plan, for now, is to get all the way down to 15 mgs before I jump.  So I still have a ways to go.

I took my last dose of K Sunday night... 3 days out and no perceivable sx.  i have talked to my doc and i'm going to stay here until July and start my taper off the Gaba then.  I do, really, need to just rest here, let the weather warm up, deal w/ a death in the family... hard under any circumstances, and just enjoy being done w/ the K.  Feels good to finally be here!  I'm keeping an eye on you guys... you'll probably be gone before i even start tapering that last 400 mg of N but I will always remember how you were my encouragement.  You let me know it could be done. 

I took my last dose of K Sunday night... 3 days out and no perceivable sx.  i have talked to my doc and i'm going to stay here until July and start my taper off the Gaba then.  I do, really, need to just rest here, let the weather warm up, deal w/ a death in the family... hard under any circumstances, and just enjoy being done w/ the K.  Feels good to finally be here!  I'm keeping an eye on you guys... you'll probably be gone before i even start tapering that last 400 mg of N but I will always remember how you were my encouragement.  You let me know it could be done.

Congratulations, Njoy! How exciting! I will be beginning my gabapentin taper later this month and expect it to take quite a while. We can cheer each other on!

Congrats njoy...

Update.  Had a rough weekend.  Almost ended up in the ER Sunday.  Today decided that stopping at 180mgs was a bad choice.  So reinstating at 150 in 3 doses.  Will ask doctor for liquid next week.  This drug is a tough one. :(

The liquid is so much easier!  I take 180 mgs right now, which translates to 1.6 ml in the morning, 1.0 ml in the afternoon, and 1.0 ml in the evening.

Jumping at 180 mg would land me in the hospital.  Lol.

If you get impatient, you could always decrease by 20 mgs at a time.  I'm just being ultra cautious after what happened to me last summer.  I've had no problems decreasing 10 mgs every 10 days.  That's 3 reductions per month.  I know it is slow, but so far it is working.

I'm glad to have a few friends join me on a quest to get off this nasty drug.  Lol.  We can all compare notes!  I don't plan to be off completely until September at the earliest.

Thanks for all the congrats...Hopeful girl here's a  :thumbsup:.  Utahgirl, I guess Idon't quite undertand how if you're cutting 10 mgs w/ each cut, how that translates to 1.6, 1 and 1... looks like 3.6 mgs...perhaps you could elaborate a little?  Njoy

I just dropped to 170.  So I take: 1.4, 1.0, and 1.0.

My liquid gaba is 250 mgs per 5 ml.  So:

250mg/5ml = 170 mgs/x

170 * 5/ 250 = 3.4 ml

1.4 ml + 1.0 ml + 1.0 ml = 3.4 ml

Congrats njoy...

Update.  Had a rough weekend.  Almost ended up in the ER Sunday.  Today decided that stopping at 180mgs was a bad choice.  So reinstating at 150 in 3 doses.  Will ask doctor for liquid next week.  This drug is a tough one. :(

Sorry for the rough go. Hang in there. Sounds like you have a good plan. Thank you for sharing. It is so helpful.

Hopeful Girl

Finally today my system settled down from the cold turkey episode.

Seeing PM doc thursday and plan to get a script for the liquid gabapentin.

:)

Coffee.......

You might want to hang out at your current dose for a couple weeks before decreasing.  You don't want to upset the apple cart.

I'm currently at 170 mgs and don't plan to be completely off until September at the *earliest*.  Slow seems to be better with this drug.  Treat it like a benzo.