Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

[Is...]

Utahgal,

Are you symptomatic at the rate you are going now? I'm on 900mg and am thinking of making bigger cuts from 900-300 and then going tiny and slow. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hopeful Girl

I am completely asymptomatic.  That may change when I get to lower doses.  I hope not.

The rule of thumb I believe is cut 10% of your current dose.  Or more or less based on tolerance.  I am very sensitive, so I make small cuts.  You may be able to tolerate bigger cuts.  How brave are you feeling?

Maybe get your prescription filled with both 300 and 100 mg capsules.  Try decreasing:  900.....800......700......600........550.......500......450........400......350......300

Then, when you reach 300 mgs, get the gaba in liquid form and make smaller cuts, either 20 or 10 mgs.

I think you are correct.  Will not do what I did before.  I just hate the sexual side effects and was looking forward to bring done.  More patience  :D

I am completely asymptomatic.  That may change when I get to lower doses.  I hope not.

The rule of thumb I believe is cut 10% of your current dose.  Or more or less based on tolerance.  I am very sensitive, so I make small cuts.  You may be able to tolerate bigger cuts.  How brave are you feeling?

Maybe get your prescription filled with both 300 and 100 mg capsules.  Try decreasing:  900.....800......700......600........550.......500......450........400......350......300

Then, when you reach 300 mgs, get the gaba in liquid form and make smaller cuts, either 20 or 10 mgs.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am super sensitive and still healing from benzos so as much as I want to be off, I don't want to be horrible sick. I have been on for almost 8 years. A few years ago I did drop from 2700-900 without much incident but I think the bigger doses are easier.

Thanks again for your perspective!

HG

thanks Utahgal, I guess if I had my brain back, completely, yet, I would have realized there would be an "equivalency conversion."  On the upside, still no perceivable sx after completing my K taper.  I am nearly euphoric to be done w/ that crap.  I noticed you posted that you were thinking of making a cut from 900 to 300mg.  I just want to caution you.  I cut from 1200 to 400 and I suffered more than I care to remember... now that I have to cut that last 400mg of N, I'm glad i did it but the headaches, gastrointestinal distress, agoraphobia and ax are still quite vivid in my mind.  Just be careful.  Njoy

Hi Coffeelover:  thanks... it feels good!  I am, NOT, sleeping tonight.. but I'm pretty sure its because I made and then ate a bunch of brownies today... we got socked in w/ a snow storm and well, it sounded like a good idea at the time.  I'm sure its the caffeine.  Anyway, reminds me of how precarious things still are... but, still...another day and its all pretty good.  How did you make out w/ your doc and the script for liquid Gaba?

Doctor visit went well.  He was happy to give me the liquid and even wrote me a plan.

Had a nice day, lunch with hubby.    Has anyone else had any eyelid twitching?

Hi There,

CL: I had eyelid twitching a ton during my Xanax taper.

Well-today I saw my doctor who is going to help me taper off of Gabapentin. She wrote me the script for the liquid and together we came up with an initial plan. I am on 900mg of gabapentin-I take 300mg three times per day. I am going to start by cutting 25mg off of 1 dose (my mid-day to start with). Then I am going to hold for 1 month. She wants me holding for a full month at least. Then said if I want to go faster we will try cutting and holding for 3.5 weeks and then 3 weeks, etc. However, when I get to 300mg gabapentin total, I will slow it to 10mg cuts. I think it is a good plan. I have mixed emotions. I am so ready to be done with this but hate starting another taper and am scared to death of the withdrawal. The Xanax has been such a long, long rough road for me. However, my desire to get off trumps all of it! I have a nasty stomach virus that I have had for 6 days now and so I am going to wait until I am well before starting the taper. I'll be here a lot once I start!

Thanks!

Hopeful Girl

Sounds like a great plan.  You can do this.  You have all ready accomplished so much. :thumbsup:

Also, anyone had sort of a burning tongue  to the point of tears.

Things I have always eaten now feel like hot pepper.

Yay!  I cut another 10 mgs!  I'm down to 160 mgs (started at 300).  Almost half way!!!

At this pace, I won't be completely off until September at the earliest.  You all will have to put up with me until then.  Lol.

Yay!  I cut another 10 mgs!  I'm down to 160 mgs (started at 300).  Almost half way!!!

At this pace, I won't be completely off until September at the earliest.  You all will have to put up with me until then.  Lol.

Congrats! I pick up my liquid this afternoon! I've got a long way to go starting at 900mg so I'll be here with you!  ;)

The liquid is such a great idea.  My system has settled quite a bit as the doses are likely more even than tapping out powder.  Hoping to get to the finish line a lot smoother than it's been.

I have been off Benzos for 6 months. I got hit with an unusual wave due to an ongoing external stressor and I need some guidance. The doctor put me on Gabapentin this past week. He suggested I go on Gababentin since day one of benzo w/d but I resisted. Now in month six I got hit with a wave that I thought I was going to have to go into the hospital! I feel I had no other choice than to go on 400 mg of Gabapenetin. 100 4x a day. It has helped. That being said I have been reading all kinds of weird stuff about Gabapenten and I really do not know if it is addictive or not? Is it really as bad to get off of as benzos? I do not want to end up making a big mistake here. If you can help please advise.

Thank you so much!

life4me

I have been off Benzos for 6 months. I got hit with an unusual wave due to an ongoing external stressor and I need some guidance. The doctor put me on Gabapentin this past week. He suggested I go on Gababentin since day one of benzo w/d but I resisted. Now in month six I got hit with a wave that I thought I was going to have to go into the hospital! I feel I had no other choice than to go on 400 mg of Gabapenetin. 100 4x a day. It has helped. That being said I have been reading all kinds of weird stuff about Gabapenten and I really do not know if it is addictive or not? Is it really as bad to get off of as benzos? I do not want to end up making a big mistake here. If you can help please advise.

Thank you so much!

life4me

life4me,

I would advise to stay off of Gabapenten.  It is highly addictive and is brutal to come off of.  I wish they would of never put me on it when I was in the hospital after my cold turkey.  I was on it four months and it did a number on me.  When I came off of it I threw up for 3 months and lost 20 pounds.  I don't know all the other side affects it did to me.  I have read that it is just as bad to come off of as a benzo and the withdrawal could last up to a year.  I hope others will let you know what they think.  Do a lot of research before you want to deal with another additive drug's problems and than have to taper later and maye go through withdrawals on this one.  Love Islandgirl

I second Island girl. Its a NASTY drug. Yes it may help symptoms, but the WD from the Gabapentin is just as wicked if not worse and some other users have stated. Just a cut off the G leaves me in a friggin mess. More depression, fatigue, horrible neck stiffness and pain, same with the back, cant sleep, headaches, it screws your skin up, can lose hair on and on.

I wish I just had to deal with the Klonopin but I have two terrible meds (I hate calling them meds as meds imply they are helpful)

I have become  introverted and so lethargic even the simplest of tasks are like moving a mountain.

Just my experience with Gabapentin aka Neurontin aka MORONtin because it has so much brain fog associated.

How quickly should I taper since I am on 400 mg a 4 X a day? I have been on it for just a week? Should I taper like I did the benzos? The problem with that is that I would have to be on it for months then?

Are the symptoms more physical than anxiety/depression?

Wow!

Life4me

Thats a pretty short amount of time. I dont want you to just quit it though. I AM glad you dont want to take it and your right in thinking, hmmm the loner I taper the longer Ill be on it. Listen to your body. I dont know what the rules are for suggesting things with med use. Its an anti seizure med, so stopping could trigger a seizure, but again you havent been on long.

You want off it. You take it four times a day. If it were ME...I would cut out the 2 middle doses...see how I feel and then if OK I would get aggressive and STOP it all. Thank God its only been a week. Ive been on it for 6 years as high as 2400mg a day.

How quickly should I taper since I am on 400 mg a 4 X a day? I have been on it for just a week? Should I taper like I did the benzos? The problem with that is that I would have to be on it for months then?

Are the symptoms more physical than anxiety/depression?

Wow!

Life4me

Life4me

You should be able to just stop it.  You haven't been on long enough to have done any damage.  If I were you, I would just stop taking them--throw them away.  Your best option is to just go through benzo withdrawal.  Even the Ashton Manual says it is better just to clear out your body and let it begin to heal on its own.  You are six months off from Benzo's after 30 years  --Congratulations.  Let your body heal from the abuse it got the last 30 years.  You will heal.  Just be thankful it has only been one week on Gabapentin (another toxic drug).  Look at my signature--I wish I wasn't put on any other drug after cold turkey.  I have wished that I wasn't.  I have been off Gabapentin 10 months now.  It was a horrible drug for me when taking and coming off.  Keep asking questions. 

I agree with IG. The sx for me are severe because Ive been on it for sooo long at at high doses. Physical pain is extreme for me in many places but mostly my lower back and my neck. Today my right arm and shoulder hurt like hell just from typing so much and sleeping on my right side. I suffer from depression anyways so my depression is worsened from first hitting a tolerance wall, now from tapering so again, your short amount of time will probably not lead to a depression state of mind.

I agree with IG. The sx for me are severe because Ive been on it for sooo long at at high doses. Physical pain is extreme for me in many places but mostly my lower back and my neck. Today my right arm and shoulder hurt like hell just from typing so much and sleeping on my right side. I suffer from depression anyways so my depression is worsened from first hitting a tolerance wall, now from tapering so again, your short amount of time will probably not lead to a depression state of mind.

groovejuice,

Wow!! You are a warrior.  You are tapering both a benzo and Gabapentin.  Hang in there.  I am just starting to feel better after my benzo cold turkey and stopping the medication given to me at hospital.  No more medications for me.  I am starting to feel wonderful days again.  Love IslandGirl

Tnx IG. I just cant stand putting the G in my mouth. I just cut my first dose of 75mg out a couple days ago and is why I am such a mess right now. I took my afternoon G dose and my pain is subsiding. I dont know what its going to be like when I get off but I know it wont be fun. IMO the G is worse to get off than the K. Many will not agree, but those people have prob never even been on the G. Good health to all.