Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

[Is...]

I’m at a total loss as to what to do. I’m in the worst wave of my life which was worse than acute for me after tapering from a benzo. I feel as though I am in severe withdrawal. I am kindled and it’s to the point I can’t eat anything without having a reaction and have been unable to shower. I was in the hospital back in December and am back here again and am only worse. In some ways when I take my Gabapentin dose, it helps some symptoms and in other ways, it makes me feel horrible. I cannot get stable to taper Gabapentin. I really am at a loss as to what to do. They don’t understand here and recommended a few options for me with them being ECT, TMS, IV Ketamine and the medication that was recommended was Ritalin and Vyvanse as my levels of dopamine are low along with serotonin and norepinephrine. I had gene testing done and that was determined along with the MTHFR gene mutation, so l-methylfolate was recommended. I can’t take anything without my system overreacting. I am kindled a few times now and my dosing schedule for Gabapentin has been all over the place because I feel I reached tolerance and some days I end up taking more than I normally do. I wish I could just be placed into a medically induced coma and taken off my meds because I don’t know how I’m going to get through this being in this condition. I want to get off of this med, but have no idea how to do so at this point anymore. I was titrating in water and reducing that way, but I am totally stalled out as I’m not functioning. Things are totally unbearable and beyond uncomfortable. I’m losing hope every passing day. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I'm sorry, I've already given you the best idea I have. You are being poly-drugged, and you have questions about many drugs and treatments. The site Surviving Antidepressants is the best place I know for help with poly-druging. (The name is a misnomer. It's not just about antidepressants.)

Thank you for your suggestion.  :) So far I haven’t had much luck over there. I know rapid tapers aren’t recommended, but I’m wondering how that would go for me. I’m thinking not great as I’m barely hanging on right now, so just really unsure what my next step should be.

I’m at a total loss as to what to do. I’m in the worst wave of my life which was worse than acute for me after tapering from a benzo. I feel as though I am in severe withdrawal. I am kindled and it’s to the point I can’t eat anything without having a reaction and have been unable to shower. I was in the hospital back in December and am back here again and am only worse. In some ways when I take my Gabapentin dose, it helps some symptoms and in other ways, it makes me feel horrible. I cannot get stable to taper Gabapentin. I really am at a loss as to what to do. They don’t understand here and recommended a few options for me with them being ECT, TMS, IV Ketamine and the medication that was recommended was Ritalin and Vyvanse as my levels of dopamine are low along with serotonin and norepinephrine. I had gene testing done and that was determined along with the MTHFR gene mutation, so l-methylfolate was recommended. I can’t take anything without my system overreacting. I am kindled a few times now and my dosing schedule for Gabapentin has been all over the place because I feel I reached tolerance and some days I end up taking more than I normally do. I wish I could just be placed into a medically induced coma and taken off my meds because I don’t know how I’m going to get through this being in this condition. I want to get off of this med, but have no idea how to do so at this point anymore. I was titrating in water and reducing that way, but I am totally stalled out as I’m not functioning. Things are totally unbearable and beyond uncomfortable. I’m losing hope every passing day. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I'm sorry, I've already given you the best idea I have. You are being poly-drugged, and you have questions about many drugs and treatments. The site Surviving Antidepressants is the best place I know for help with poly-druging. (The name is a misnomer. It's not just about antidepressants.)

Thank you for your suggestion.  :) So far I haven’t had much luck over there. I know rapid tapers aren’t recommended, but I’m wondering how that would go for me. I’m thinking not great as I’m barely hanging on right now, so just really unsure what my next step should be.

I don't think you will get better advice here than at SA. This thread is about gabapentin, not ECT, ketamine, etc. I wouldn't have any idea what to say about those things. :(  You could try putting those topics in the search and see if they are being discussed somewhere by people who actually have experience with them. I don't recall seeing them discussed on this thread, but then I wouldn't expect to see that here. I have a fuzzy memory of seeing ketamine discussed somewhere, perhaps under alternative therapies? It's worth a try at a search.

Seeking, about this:

I want to get off of this med, but have no idea how to do so at this point anymore. I was titrating in water and reducing that way, but I am totally stalled out as I’m not functioning.

Why can't you go back to titrating using water? You might hold here until you feel up to it, but that's an easer way to get off gaba than my way . . . which was to reduce from 2300 mgs by 100 mgs until I got to 100 mgs, then cut the pill in half, then in half again. I wish I had known gaba was water soluble.

I hear you that you're tired and stalled out . . . but you have to move forward, no? Even if that means holding for awhile.

I know you don't want to hear anything about this, but I'll say it anyhow:

my dosing schedule for Gabapentin has been all over the place because I feel I reached tolerance and some days I end up taking more than I normally do.

Please make a plan for your gaba and stick to it. Your dosing being "all over the place" is not helping. Why is your doing all over the place? Did you really reach tolerance? Apparently that only happens at high doses for many years.

As I said, I know you're sick of all this, but the only way out of this is through it.

Best,

Katz

Seeking, about this:

I want to get off of this med, but have no idea how to do so at this point anymore. I was titrating in water and reducing that way, but I am totally stalled out as I’m not functioning.

Why can't you go back to titrating using water? You might hold here until you feel up to it, but that's an easer way to get off gaba than my way . . . which was to reduce from 2300 mgs by 100 mgs until I got to 100 mgs, then cut the pill in half, then in half again. I wish I had known gaba was water soluble.

I hear you that you're tired and stalled out . . . but you have to move forward, no? Even if that means holding for awhile.

I know you don't want to hear anything about this, but I'll say it anyhow:

my dosing schedule for Gabapentin has been all over the place because I feel I reached tolerance and some days I end up taking more than I normally do.

Please make a plan for your gaba and stick to it. Your dosing being "all over the place" is not helping. Why is your doing all over the place? Did you really reach tolerance? Apparently that only happens at high doses for many years.

As I said, I know you're sick of all this, but the only way out of this is through it.

Best,

Katz

Hi Katz,

I am still titrating in water, but just haven’t been able to budge on reducing. I have been at 542 for a few years now as I wanted to heal a bit from my benzo taper, but I think holding for that long might have caused more issues for me. This has been a horrendous battle for almost seven months now and I honestly don’t even know what is happening to me anymore as the symptoms become unbearable at times and I end up in total distress. It helps in some ways when I take my dose, but in other ways, it’s like I’m having paradoxical reactions to it. There just doesn’t seem to be any chance of me stabilizing and I’m pretty non-functional. I feel like I’m in quite the mess and just am at a total loss. In a way I wish I could just do a quick taper, but I can’t see that going well at all. I wish I knew the answer as they just want to treat symptoms here at the hospital with other meds and other treatments and I feel as though my system is totally fried right now.

Thank you for your response.  :)

I don't think you will get better advice here than at SA. This thread is about gabapentin, not ECT, ketamine, etc. I wouldn't have any idea what to say about those things. :(  You could try putting those topics in the search and see if they are being discussed somewhere by people who actually have experience with them. I don't recall seeing them discussed on this thread, but then I wouldn't expect to see that here. I have a fuzzy memory of seeing ketamine discussed somewhere, perhaps under alternative therapies? It's worth a try at a search.

Hi gardener99,

Yes, I have made posts in other sections on this site in regards to alternative therapies and meds; I was just trying to be as descriptive as possible. I am just at a loss as to what to do about everything at the moment and feel like Gabapentin is the main factor causing me grief right now. I just wish I wasn’t on this medication anymore. Not sure how to get back to a functioning state and hope it happens soon. Thank you!  :)

Seeking . . . if your current taper rate on your water taper isn't helping you, and neither is a hold (you've been holding for while, right?) what about doing a fast taper yourself? Really, my gaba taper amounted to a fast taper and brother did I feel better once it was over. The only lingering effects upon completion of my taper were headaches, muscle aches and a bit of dizziness. If you think the gaba is the culprit in making you feel so bad, maybe give this some thought?  :-\ Just a suggestion. I've lost track of where you are gaba-wise. How many mgs have you gotten stalled out at? 542 mgs? And do you take this every day?

Best,

Katz

Seeking . . . if your current taper rate on your water taper isn't helping you, and neither is a hold (you've been holding for while, right?) what about doing a fast taper yourself? Really, my gaba taper amounted to a fast taper and brother did I feel better once it was over. The only lingering effects upon completion of my taper were headaches, muscle aches and a bit of dizziness. If you think the gaba is the culprit in making you feel so bad, maybe give this some thought?  :-\ Just a suggestion. I've lost track of where you are gaba-wise. How many mgs have you gotten stalled out at? 542 mgs? And do you take this every day?

Best,

Katz

Thanks Katz. I really appreciate you responding. A fast taper scares me as I already seem to be in severe withdrawal and seem to be experience inter-dose withdrawal. The panic is beyond extreme, but yes, right now something isn’t right and something isn’t working, so I gotta do something. I’m just barely getting through now, so not sure what to expect with a rapid taper. My dose has been fluctuating because I have been taking it when I shouldn’t, but yesterday was 542 mg. It has been about 642 mg anywhere between 542-642 mg and sometimes was more as I was dozing more frequently, so the times were off. So maybe certain days it ended up being 842 mg. It was so messed up and I’m worried I damaged myself more, but couldn’t handle the extreme symptoms. Like I said, it helps with some things, but in other ways, it makes things worse. Not sure how much I should cut with a rapid taper??

Seeking, why don't you try to stabilize at 542 mgs? Hold there and KEEP TRACK of how much you're taking (don't take  more or less).

I kept a journal in which I wrote everything down -- amounts, when I took the drug, how I felt etc. I bet you'll even out and feel better after a week or two . . . then you can think about continuing your taper -- fast or gradual. In your situation, that's what I would do. Hold and assess. A fast taper may not be for you, but you certainly deserve to stabilize and feel better. A consistent dose and a nice long hold might work.

Katz

Seeking, why don't you try to stabilize at 542 mgs? Hold there and KEEP TRACK of how much you're taking (don't take  more or less).

I kept a journal in which I wrote everything down -- amounts, when I took the drug, how I felt etc. I bet you'll even out and feel better after a week or two . . . then you can think about continuing your taper -- fast or gradual. In your situation, that's what I would do. Hold and assess. A fast taper may not be for you, but you certainly deserve to stabilize and feel better. A consistent dose and a nice long hold might work.

Katz

Katz, I just saw your signature. You have long COVID? :( :( :(

Katz

Yes, I have tried to stabilize at 542 mg for a few months before messing around with my dosing and was unsuccessful. I know having Botox really set me off, but this is on a whole other level. It’s like I’m having paradoxical reactions to it and going through withdrawal at the same time. I have been keeping at the same dose and time for a little bit now, and am hoping I can manage to have lessened symptoms and stabilize slightly. I wish I would have continued on with my taper years ago, but I wanted to try and heal a bit more before continuing on any further with it. Things are just so extreme and unbearable and I honestly feel my system is just beyond fried. I really hope I can recover from this, but getting stable seems to be a long process for me. Thanks Katz.  :smitten:

Yeah,  I do have long Covid. Tested positive for Omicron on Jan 18.  :sick:  I was really sick for about a week. I've been pretty exhausted and a bit sketchy in my brain since then (memory problems). It'll pass . . . I hope.

Best to you,

Katz

Yeah,  I do have long Covid. Tested positive for Omicron (I guess) on Jan 18.  :sick:  I've been semi-exhausted and a bit sketchy in my brain since then (memory problems). It'll pass . . . I hope.

Best to you,

Katz

b5437842f0661f048f6bd967a4590576--funny-pictures-of-cats-funny-cat-pics.jpg

Yeah,  I do have long Covid. Tested positive for Omicron on Jan 18.  :sick:  I was really sick for about a week. I've been pretty exhausted and a bit sketchy in my brain since then (memory problems). It'll pass . . . I hope.

Best to you,

Katz

Sorry to hear about you having long COVID. I hope you feel better and that things improve for you very soon!

I'm on Gabapentin 900mg for fibromyalgia.  It works well for the pain.  I had no clue there were withdrawal symptoms from this med.

what about doing a fast taper yourself? Really, my gaba taper amounted to a fast taper and brother did I feel better once it was over.

Katz

I agree with Katz. I finally did a rapid taper – check my signature – and within a couple weeks I was feeling fine. Those couple weeks were not great but they weren’t nearly as bad as when I was on it. I have gotten better memory wise and the weight fell off. Those were just a few of the things that caused me problems from gabapentin.

what about doing a fast taper yourself? Really, my gaba taper amounted to a fast taper and brother did I feel better once it was over.

Katz

I agree with Katz. I finally did a rapid taper – check my signature – and within a couple weeks I was feeling fine. Those couple weeks were not great but they weren’t nearly as bad as when I was on it. I have gotten better memory wise and the weight fell off. Those were just a few of the things that caused me problems from gabapentin.

That's good to hear! I am eager to get done with my Q so I can start on the G again.

And I am still in love with your avatar. :smitten:

Katz

Hi ego trapped,

Thank you for your response. Congratulations on completing your Gabapentin taper! 😊 I’m glad to hear that after a couple of weeks, you felt much better! Gives me hope! I am hesitant to do a rapid taper as I’m barely hanging on now. I seem to be going through withdrawal from it even while still on it. I seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place because when I take my dose, it helps with many symptoms and in other ways it makes some symptoms worse. I’ve been trying to get stable enough to make a cut, but I’m not sure that’s going to happen. I am beyond sick with the symptoms being extreme at times, am barely functioning and unable to care for myself. I just am uncertain if my body can handle a rapid taper at this point as I seem to be very kindled. I wish I knew what to do, but I know something needs to change.

I know it is very hard to get stable on gabapentin. One of the reasons for that is that the bioavailability of it goes down as you go up on it.

Also tapering is never even even if you use even doses. So many factors come into play including time of day, food or medicines that you’ve taken – anything can affect how much is actually in the dose. So if you get a good amount in one doses because everything in the universe is good - The next dose may be different for reasons no one can figure out And you get all messed up with your dosing and you haven’t done anything wrong.

That’s why I did a rapid taper just to get off of it because I could never get stable on it and the amounts I was getting in the taper doses were all over the map. I could tell this by withdrawal symptoms after one dose and relief after a different dose. And it wasn’t because of buildup because it doesn’t stay in your system very long. Very strange drug.

However I was not taking it for nerve pain or things that it’s actually approved for  Maybe that makes a difference. Sometimes getting symptom relief is worth the side effects.

:idiot:

I know it is very hard to get stable on gabapentin. One of the reasons for that is that the bioavailability of it goes down as you go up on it.

Also tapering is never even even if you use even doses. So many factors come into play including time of day, food or medicines that you’ve taken – anything can affect how much is actually in the dose. So if you get a good amount in one doses because everything in the universe is good - The next dose may be different for reasons no one can figure out And you get all messed up with your dosing and you haven’t done anything wrong.

That’s why I did a rapid taper just to get off of it because I could never get stable on it and the amounts I was getting in the taper doses were all over the map. I could tell this by withdrawal symptoms after one dose and relief after a different dose. And it wasn’t because of buildup because it doesn’t stay in your system very long. Very strange drug.

However I was not taking it for nerve pain or things that it’s actually approved for  Maybe that makes a difference. Sometimes getting symptom relief is worth the side effects.

It seems to be more of a nightmare for me than my benzo taper and that was pretty horrific. My symptoms are even worse which I never could have even imagined. It’s like my body is not only rejecting it, but calling for it at the same time. I’m not sure I could handle worse symptoms right now and worry that I might not make it. I wish I knew what the next step should be. Not sure if I should go somewhere to where they can monitor me while I do a taper or what. I’m still in the hospital right now because I cannot care for myself. I can hardly shower or do much of anything but pace around. I’m beating myself up for not continuing with the taper and then back a year ago, I missed a dose, and should have just stayed with the lower dose instead of going back to my regular dose. I wish I could go somewhere and be placed in a medically induced coma and taken off all meds.

It seems to be more of a nightmare for me than my benzo taper and that was pretty horrific. My symptoms are even worse which I never could have even imagined. It’s like my body is not only rejecting it, but calling for it at the same time. I’m not sure I could handle worse symptoms right now and worry that I might not make it. I wish I knew what the next step should be. Not sure if I should go somewhere to where they can monitor me while I do a taper or what. I’m still in the hospital right now because I cannot care for myself. I can hardly shower or do much of anything but pace around. I’m beating myself up for not continuing with the taper and then back a year ago, I missed a dose, and should have just stayed with the lower dose instead of going back to my regular dose. I wish I could go somewhere and be placed in a medically induced coma and taken off all meds.

Hi Seekinghope. I'm sorry you're going through all this. Are you sure it's the gabapentin taper? Were you more or less stable before you started the gabapentin taper?

Hi Seekinghope. I'm sorry you're going through all this. Are you sure it's the gabapentin taper? Were you more or less stable before you started the gabapentin taper?

Hi valiumnomore,

I was more stable before I started getting Botox for Trigeminal Neuralgia as I thought that would be the lesser of all evils for treatment. I don’t want brain surgery and I don’t want any heavy psych meds. I went a few times and the last time I went, I totally crashed and haven’t been stable for eight months now. I have been experiencing severe symptoms and don’t even know anymore what is going on. I am extremely kindled. I feel as though I’m not responding to my meds the same and feel as though Gabapentin is causing me a lot of grief as I have a hard time making it to each dose, but when I do I feel relief in some ways and then it makes some symptoms worse. I’m just not sure I’ll ever be stable again on it. I started taking 1000 mg back in August 2016 and then got down to 600 mg in May 2017. I stopped and held with that dose because I wanted to focus on my benzo taper and give my body a break. I wish I would have continued with that taper because now I feel totally hopeless in becoming successful in completing that taper. I’ve been at 542 mg for quite some time except the last eight months, I kept playing around with my dose and time like a fool, so was taking a bit more at times, but I'm really trying to stay consistent now at 542 mg. Thank you for your response.  :)

Seeking hope I'm so sorry to hear about your struggles. Yes then it could be the botox. I have an appointment with pain management but keep putting it off as I'm terrified of cortisone injections setting me back in my already very very painful valium taper. I never now what to do so when very unstable I believe more in holding at the same dose with all your meds, than making any changes that will make it impossible for the brain to adapt. Given the constant, the brain will eventually rearrange itself. This is what I want to believe. Of course, it takes a lot of faith, and it can take a very very long time to reach anything near stability by holding. Then, of course, some will never be stable even if they hold I guess. I hope you find a way to get through this. Definitely jumping up and down in doses is the worst. I know this from my own experience.

gabapentin is not because as you go down the Bio availability becomes greater.

What? How the heck can you taper that?!

Does this me we want to go down 10% of the bio availability each time and not based on the dose?

Does this me we want to go down 10% of the bio availability each time and not based on the dose?

No, just do 10% of your dose and adjust as necessary. As with any taper, you go by how you feel. Taper rates are suggested starting points. Just keep in mind that if you are pushing your limits with your taper, you may need to slow down or make smaller cuts when you get really low.

No, just do 10% of your dose and adjust as necessary. As with any taper, you go by how you feel. Taper rates are suggested starting points. Just keep in mind that if you are pushing your limits with your taper, you may need to slow down or make smaller cuts when you get really low.

Thank you for your reply gardener. I was a bit shaken.