Important Survey - Please Participate ×

PLEASE DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL WHEN YOU FEEL RECOVERED

[Wh...]

Oh Whoopsie. I am so sorry for your set back. I wanted to thank you for posting this. I wish I had had this info to mull over last summer! I thought I would be ok with half a beer when were at the beach...NOPE! Then I tried champagne on New Years...That didn't work either. I was going to try again this summer but the more I think about what "could" happen the more I am convinced that I do not need it or want it anymore. I gave up coffee and all caffeine a year ago---then all alcohol too. I wasn't a big drinker but I love a cold beer or margarita on a hot summer night as well as a glass of red wine with dinner. It used to depress me thinking I would never be able to again and now I realize more and more that I am happy without it and what could happen could be really really bad so why not just give it up. I think Libby posted on here a while back (different thread) that she too had issues. It's getting easier to be ok with not having it. It took guts to post this. I can tell you care a lot about others otherwise you wouldn't have said anything. So THANK YOU for caring about all of us here and speaking up. I do hope you are doing better.

Here's to healing!

Afighter

That's very kind feedback, thank you.  May you have a quick recovery!!

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Wh...]

• [Bo...]

• [Sk...]

• [su...]

Top Posters In This Topic

My two cents on this one is that the problem with alcohol is that it is not simply just a case of GABA receptors. Although benzo's primarily work on GABA receptors, they also affect indirectly all the other neurotransmitters, particularly during withdrawal.

Alcohol effects GABA, serotonin, dopamine, adenosine, NMDA and god knows what else. I was watching a documentary once that described alcohol as like taking an anti-depressant, anti-anxiety and a stimulant all in one. It's messy. It's also incredibly toxic to pretty much every organ in your body.

Perhaps this is why some people are fine, while others are not. They may be having an interaction with some other neurotransmitter system(s) other than GABA that is still in the process of trying to reach homeostasis.

Personally for me benzo withdrawal is so incredibly complex, and so very different with regards to neurotransmitters involved.. that a chemical like ethanol is too much of a blunt instrument to risk throwing in to the mix. I also believe however, that benzo withdrawal has a huge fear/anxiety component to it.. that can absolutely override every system in your brain, whether it's reached homeostasis or not. I know that even before benzo's... I could become allergic to something just by thinking I might be allergic to it. I mean.. I went on benzo's because I could panic myself in to thinking the worst of absolutely everything :)

I think it's important to approach everything in life with a balance of a healthy sense of adventure, along with a sane level of caution. We explored crap when we were kids without thinking, and mostly without fear... that's how we learn. I learnt that crap that agonises GABA receptors, is something I don't want to explore anymore.. but I also need to make sure I'm not giving myself an arrythmia if I think I may have ingested something that might touch those receptors, because I know I can most likely bring on a wave by sheer fear alone. Add on top of that the fact that I will never know what the situation with the sensitivity of the wiring in my brain is like anymore.. it's just easier for me not to have to worry about making things worse. Alcohol has never done anything good for me in life ;) But I could never stop at two (or ten) drinks.. other people can, and that's fine too.

Alcohol and Neurotransmitter Interactions

C. FERNANDO VALENZUELA, M.D., PH.D.

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh21-2/144.pdf

At 1 year off i had a drink as i wad doing much better and felt worse for about 2 months or maybe more. Couldn't sleep and lots if other symptoms came back.

I'll be staying away for a while still and next time i try it will probably just be a sip.

This sounds scary

Is there anyone that has had a drink and been fine and then at a later point had a drink and had a bad reaction ?

I have am not yet fully healed. 16 months off.

I had tried a beer last year but knew after a few sips that it was affecting me negatively.

It felt like a wall of fog was coming down on my brain. That feelig that you get when You are having an operation and they knock you out.

Lately I have been able to have a drink or 2 at the Most in an evening with no noticeable effects.

Now I'm wondering if I could end up with a reaction like whoopsie.

Carol

I am really hoping that it is possible to have a drink and not to suffer too badly for it.

It's my 30th birthday on Friday and I know my dad has imported a bottle of champagne from France for me!! He will be devastated if I don't have some.

This withdrawal is a life ruiner. I just want to cry all the time at how many things its effected!!

SO MAD at the dr who started me on this CRAP!!

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I am skeptical.

Everyone is different.  Everyone heals differently.  I'm not doubting your story, but could there be some other reason?

It's hard to fathom that a HEALED brain would have trouble with a drinks worth of alcohol.

Just skeptical, not trying to be a jerk.

But all that being said, I hope you are feeling back to your old self very soon.

Hi Milan187,after having the drink, are you saying that you went back to acute withdrawal?or was the symptoms pretty bearable ?

Hi Milan187,after having the drink, are you saying that you went back to acute withdrawal?or was the symptoms pretty bearable ?

I just felt worse not acute but some symptoms that where gone came back. Mainly i felt more anxious and could not sleep and some head stuff. I guess it's possible it was a wave that could have come anyway but I'm staying away for a while anyway.

s hard to fathom that a HEALED brain would have trouble with a drinks worth of alcohol.

It is called REMISSION, meaning that the brain/body remain sensitive for a while (months or maybe years) even after major symptomatology has abated.

s hard to fathom that a HEALED brain would have trouble with a drinks worth of alcohol.

It is called REMISSION, meaning that the brain/body remain sensitive for a while (months or maybe years) even after major symptomatology has abated.

I think this is exactly it, and have experienced it. I think that some of us can remain this way for many years, and should be cautious. My advice is to know what your limits are, and don't go past them. I have been off all drugs for 5 years, and have no symptoms unless I get foolish or have a weak moment i.e. go over my limitations.

Here is a link to Colins story and where this quote comes from: I also have noticed that many members of the BenzoBuddies forum have reported setbacks after consuming moderate amounts of alcohol. I rarely give 'advice', and my evidence is anecdotal in nature, but I advise those tapering to quit alcohol until they feel fully recovered. After all, quitting alcohol will do you no harm, is unsafe to consume with benzodiazepines, and might just help with your benzo withdrawal.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/about-us/meet-the-team/#colin

I completely agree that alcohol may not affect everyone negatively as it did for me, but it sure as heck is something to consider.

It looks like last night I drank what is going to be my last beer for quite some time.

As I continue to heal I am less and less able to tolerate even a small amount of alcohol. A few months ago I could have 1-2 drinks and be ok, but as of the past month or so even one beer gives me a 2 day hangover. It doesn't rev up my benzo wd symptoms, it just makes me feel icky. I'm guessing it has to do with CNS sensitivity. Pretty sure the "pain" is due to lower quality sleep because I feel the exact same way when I have to get up a couple hours early.

Not sure what else the benzo beast can take from me but I guess it could be worse.

So far I am not feeling any problems with a beer once or twice a week

I had one tonight at my German class.

I am not fully healed but usually feel good in the evenings.

I wonder how many are affected like you Pedro. So much later.

Carol

Well Skyzone

I know from experience that there are a lot worse things than not being able to drink alcohol .

Glad that you are staying away from it.

Also glad to see you back on.

A few people have left in the last week.

Carol

Well Skyzone

I know from experience that there are a lot worse things than not being able to drink alcohol .

Glad that you are staying away from it.

Also glad to see you back on.

A few people have left in the last week.

Carol

Thank, Carol. 

Well,

I'm going to have a drink tonight for my birthday, ill come back and report any effects.

I think it might make a difference if you abused alcohol previously? (I never have)

For be I've had to weigh this decision up. My friends will be buying me drinks tonight and I  so anxious about having to say no to everyone. It is easier to have a few drinks than explain benzo withdrawal to them.

I am SO mad that I'm even having to think like this on my 30th!

So depressing :(

For be I've had to weigh this decision up. My friends will be buying me drinks tonight and I  so anxious about having to say no to everyone. It is easier to have a few drinks than explain benzo withdrawal to them.

If anyone asks all you have to do is say that you have to take it easy with alcohol because of medication. You don't have to explain that it is because of a medication you are no longer taking. Most people will leave it at that.

I agree Florida Guy

Good Advice.

No one should be pushed into having a drink if they don't want it.

JigglyJo. Please be careful.

Last year I tried just a sip of wine. I could Almost instantly feel that dull wave coming over my brain.

it was 1 sip. That was enough to know that it was not a good idea.

I don't get that anymore but I also do not drink very much and I drink slowly.

Funny thing is that I used to love dry red wine and hate beer for its bitterness.

Now I like sweet wine and even budlight.

Cannot drink dry at all!

Carol

Thank you so much for the warning.  I haven't had a drink in 4 years and was considering having one now and then.  I don't need it.

Thanks again, I really needed the warning. 

Thank you so much for the warning.  I haven't had a drink in 4 years and was considering having one now and then.  I don't need it.

Thanks again, I really needed the warning.

You're very welcome.  :)

Well,

I'm going to have a drink tonight for my birthday, ill come back and report any effects.

I think it might make a difference if you abused alcohol previously? (I never have)

I am SO mad that I'm even having to think like this on my 30th!

So depressing :(

Usually how I handle this, especially if at a big party, is I get a beer and hang on to it sipping it very slowly over the course of the whole night.  No one ever realizes that I still have the same same beer (except for my close friends who know my situation.) 

Usually how I handle this, especially if at a big party, is I get a beer and hang on to it sipping it very slowly over the course of the whole night.  No one ever realizes that I still have the same same beer (except for my close friends who know my situation.)

That's what I had been doing the past few months. I didn't drink anything unless it was my once-every-few-weeks night out with friends. I would nurse one drink or I would drink something non-alcoholic the first part of the night then finish it off with one beer. Now I can't even do that unless I want to deal with a two day hangover. Just not worth it at this point.

After reading this thread I have come to the sad conclusion I will never drink another beer in my life. Another sad parting.  :-\