Important Survey - Please Participate ×

PLEASE DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL WHEN YOU FEEL RECOVERED

[Wh...]

Joy . I feel for you but the problem is that we just don't know on an individual basis what that nice little glass of wine or whatever will do to us. There is no road map in recovery. It is non-linear and we all are different. As Sofa so wisely asks 'Why would you risk your return back to health '.

I think that when Dr Ashton updated the manual about ten years ago she removed the free pass on wine.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Wh...]

• [Bo...]

• [Sk...]

• [su...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the important thing is to do some type of test before deciding to drink too much. I made the mistake of having about 5 Amstel lights on the start of month 4 and it set me back a few months. All my acute symptoms came back for a couple weeks. It was really scary. I think if I would of had one beer it wouldn't of been as bad though and not damaging possibly because drinking this kombucha stuff doesn't feel like it is harmful. Trying to get drunk or binging of 5 beers like I did seems damaging though.

My opinion, I think one drink may not be the end of the world when the time was right

I drink.  Changes nothing to my symptoms. BUT the most pleasant thing about being a little drunk...is you forget how bad you feel...anxiety slips away and that relief I can’t live without.

I wonder if these people were truly set back 1-2 years by a single drink of alcohol or if that was going to occur by itself anyway and the alcohol simply took the blame.

My two setbacks were absolutely 100% caused by alcohol. Been alcohol free again for a year and a half. Symptom free again.

Some people do drink after and say they are fine. I am not one of those people. There’s only one way to find out though, and that’s the hard way.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to know if I'm allowed to have just one drink such as a glass of wine. Ashton says it is ok but there is a disagreement here?  The reason I want the 1 drink is because it is supposed to have cardiovascular benefits, lower blood pressure (mine is high), and also I'm having some gut issues and I remember years ago a couple drink helping with a gut infection tremendously.

She is wrong if the goal to get off benzos with a steady does reduction as alcohol sits on the same receptors so alcohol becomes an updose.

That said, it's not the end of the world and nor is an occasion updose of the benzo.

Do any of your tinnitus' get EXTREMELY loud after 5+ beers? The "wave" lasts until the AM and disappears by noon usually.

Thank you for valuable innfomation.

By the way what kind of alcohol did you drink? Was it beer or whiskey straight?

And Does 2 1/2 mean bottle or glass ?

Esam Zenji

I just feel it's so important to offer this warning in a strong way to folks here on BB.  I was finally recovered at 37 months off.  I went on a holiday to a tropical island to celebrate.  Towards the end of a two week vacation I had 2 1/2 drinks of alcohol.  That was a huge mistake and I've been in a terrible setback ever since ... 8 months later and still quite sick.

I know of this happening to a few others as well.  When you get feeling good again and are happy and enjoying life please don't sabotage it by having a drink.  I totally understand why people do it, you're feeling free and a part of normal life again finally after such a long and horrific illness.

Please remember this warning when you recover, which you will, in time.

Moreover, I used the ability to drink again as a litmus test for my healing status.

What on earth are you talking about?

Moreover, I used the ability to drink again as a litmus test for my healing status.

What’s the confusion? If there’s no reaction to minor drinking, that’s progress.

What’s the confusion? If there’s no reaction to minor drinking, that’s progress.

i hope others don't think this makes sense

I’ll clarify. Right now you have your baseline. If you drink and the condition of said baseline worsens, you have effective results. If the baseline does not change, you have effective results as well. Does this make sense?

My two setbacks were absolutely 100% caused by alcohol. Been alcohol free again for a year and a half. Symptom free again.

Some people do drink after and say they are fine. I am not one of those people. There’s only one way to find out though, and that’s the hard way.

Unfortunately this is true, you won't know for sure until you try it.  Thanks for posting Siggy, I'm glad you're doing so well.  :)

Unfortunately this is true, you won't know for sure until you try it.  Thanks for posting Siggy, I'm glad you're doing so well.  :)

Thanks for your support back when I was in one of my serbacks! It’s greatly appreciated.  :)

Thanks for your support back when I was in one of my serbacks! It’s greatly appreciated.  :)

After FOUR AND A HALF YEARS I still have a severe sensitivty to alcohol. I can tolerate one drink, but thats pretty much it, and 1 will feel like 4 used to pre-benzo. So, I live my life now, only occasionally having one drink. But after the hell we have been through, I can live with this benzo-vestige. At least it has zero impact on my cannabinoid tendencies.  ;D

After FOUR AND A HALF YEARS I still have a severe sensitivty to alcohol. I can tolerate one drink, but thats pretty much it, and 1 will feel like 4 used to pre-benzo. So, I live my life now, only occasionally having one drink. But after the hell we have been through, I can live with this benzo-vestige. At least it has zero impact on my cannabinoid tendencies.  ;D

Yep, I figure I packed way too much drinking into my 20’s and 30’s. Most of the time I don’t miss drinking now anyway. And I for sure don’t miss the hangovers! Occasional MJ is all good for me too. So I’m not totally vice-less. Glad to hear you’re doing well Laser.

I’ll clarify. Right now you have your baseline. If you drink and the condition of said baseline worsens, you have effective results. If the baseline does not change, you have effective results as well. Does this make sense?

I get and got your submission.

I reject it if your goal is to be benzo free.

Drinking is like up dosing as the same receptor are in play. You should know there is often NO immediately recognizable manifestations. This is one reason we have all these forums. Doctors just don't "get it" either.

That said, it is not the end of the world if you up dose but understand that is what you are doing.

I get and got your submission.

I reject it if your goal is to be benzo free.

Drinking is like up dosing as the same receptor are in play. You should know there is often NO immediately recognizable manifestations. This is one reason we have all these forums. Doctors just don't "get it" either.

That said, it is not the end of the world if you up dose but understand that is what you are doing.

Okay I think I know where this is going. What is your message? Obviously mine and badsocref's are so off.

How should we live life according to your terms?

• 2 weeks later...

Cool!!  8) I was thinking well I can live without a drink but I would like to be able to indulge in the occasional Cannabis vape, as I had to stop smoking Cigarettes and weed nearly 4 year's ago as they made me a lot worse , I also stopped drinking the same day. So that was the unholy trinity all CT in one g, but I often pine for a spliff that's my choice if I had to choose between that and booze and no way am I going to risk the alcohol not after seeing people eeffed up for year's after being off benzos for year's as well? :D I don't blame anyone trying it but I'm not willing to play Russian roulette and its not essential to life or having fun anyway, and yes I know Ganga isn't either before someone points it out. But I am saying if I was going to do anything it would be  maybe try weed again.

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Just wanted to say i have drank up to 5 coronas on full stomach  and another  time 2 rum a d cokes never got a buzz and it been awhile and have no  Urge to drink. Guess  i cant go back to that time were it was a good feeling.