ambien abuse

[sl...]

Okay all, tonight is the big night, my last night ever for ambien.  I am nervous and hoping for a much better time than last time.  I get so anxious worrying about wether I'll sleep or not and whether I'll have all the prior withdrawal symptoms but, I just need to move forward with faith.  I'll keep ya posted on how it's going.

slupa96

Okay all, tonight is the big night, my last night ever for ambien.  I am nervous and hoping for a much better time than last time.  I get so anxious worrying about wether I'll sleep or not and whether I'll have all the prior withdrawal symptoms but, I just need to move forward with faith.  I'll keep ya posted on how it's going.

slupa96

Good luck, slupa! Hope it's smoother sailing!!  :thumbsup:

Best of Luck to you Slupa,

I hope you have easier time than the first and know you can do this. :yippee:

I won't be far behind you so hang in there. You did 4 months, I did 5 weeks so I'm sure you'll do great :smitten:

Thanks Scooter I appreciate the support.  I'll keep you informed on how it's going, so you do the same for me. :smitten:  keep the faith and rock on!!!!!

slupa

Hi slupa,

Are you sleeping?  I remember I tried to cut down on the Ambien and I couldn't even fall asleep.  How is it going for you?

Pam

Pam

Thanks for the reply,  I am definately having difficulty in getting to sleep.  Last night was my last night of ambien and it was such a small dose (1/2 of 2.5mg) that it didn't help for sleep.  I was able to function at work so that was a plus.  Hopefully as my body continues to adjust this will all get better. :P    Also on a side note today I found out my testosterone was low 327 with normal range 400-1000.  I am going to do some other tests but it was suggested to use testosterone,  I am quite hesitant and wonder if anyone using this site has any insight on wether or not testosterone can interfere with recovery.  As a note my main symptom of low testosterone would be daytime fatigue and some muscle weakness, maybe some depression also.  It is really hard to know as all of the above symptoms could also be from ambien use and withdrawal.  I haven't had any issues in the bedroom thank goodness ;)  Well anyway, any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hey slupa,

I don't know whether you are male or female, but my testosterone was low last April. I was in tolerance to the klonopin at that point, but didn't know it. My morning cortisol was also low and I had to do some other test to see if it would go up and it did. I think the benzos affected all of this. I have heard others say that they have had false positives on tests done and they were normal some time after being benzo free. You might want to tell your dr. about this and see if he/she thinks it could be benzo related?? Just a thought....

Lori :smitten:

Lori

Good feedback, I am a male and I turn 40 on saturday  :yippee: :'(  I am also doing free serum testosterone, fsh, lsh, and prolactin level the result will take a week or so.  I know one thing I am definately not anxious to go on any medicine.

Hey MR. slupa,

I wouldn't be surprised if the benzo messed up your testosterone. So many women on here have messed up periods because of these benzos! When are you suppose to start taking the medicine??

Hey slupa,

Don't worry about only getting a couple of hours of sleep a night, it's amazing how little we can actually survive on.  You'll eventually learn to sleep again, it's a really different kind of sleep too.  It's deeper and more restful.  Don't worry if you have a few nights of hideous dreams too, they'll pass. 

On the subject of the testosterone, can't help you there dude!  But, if you don't get any replies try posting something in General Withdrawal Support, there's a subboard for health and well being.  Maybe you could get some good discussions going.

Thanks for letting us know you're hanging in there, you're doing good.  I'm really glad you're getting away from the Ambien!

I'm so glad somebody is posting regarding Ambien use.

I have been benzo-free for 3 days and the insomnia is kicking my butt. :'(  I am still taking 12.5mg Ambien CR at night (the Ambien CR use started in September 08 after a useless sleep study). I was going to give my body some time to recover from the benzo taper but after reading this thread I'm wondering what to do.

I also have some 6.25mg Ambien CR (tried the lower dosage last year which was a complete failure). Right now I feel really weak (flu-like), my whole body is tingling and the quality of my sleep is pathetic. However, I do feel more upbeat and less anxious (mentally).

Sylvia

sylvia

Congrats on stopping the benzo, way to go....  All I can tell you is that Ambien acts on a different benzo subunit on the benzo receptor site, and the ashton manual considers them the same.  They can really mess up withdrawal.  My own experience of 6 years of Ambien use and withdrawal  has been absolutely the worst experience of my life.  I still can not believe I let the insomnia get the better of me and started back up on 5mg of Ambien 2 weeks ago.  Never again, but as you know the insomnia can be so physiological and pyschologically  difficult to deal with.  Good luck to you and keep me posted, you can do it.

Pam  Thanks for the words of encouragment about sleep, they are really beneficial.  This site totally rocks, it is so great to have support and an avenue for feedback.   

Lori,  I called my friend who is a endocrinologist and explained my situation and lab resuts to him and he wants to see what my other labs show before starting testosterone.  But, probably a good idea to hold off and repeat labs down the road after I've stabilized.

Well, I made it through last night maybe 2 hours of sleep total, but I am still alive.  My head is sure mush today it feels like I have a band of pressure behind my eyes.  For me this has been the hardest part of withdrawal is getting my head to clear.  Oh well, forward is the only way to go.

Think about it, your body and brain have forgotten how to fall asleep without the aid of a chemical.  You've taken away one of the most basic of human functions by becoming dependent on Ambien.  You used to have occasional sleep problems, now because of Ambien you have a full blown inability to fall asleep on your own. 

So, time to take control back from the pill and realize that occasional sleeping problems are nothing compared to the state you're in right now.  Since I got off of them, I no longer panic if I wake up and can't go back to sleep.  If I can't go to sleep for a long time when I go to bed, I don't worry because I know I can still function with very little sleep. 

The reason why I don't panic anymore is because I've been to Ambien hell and know that missing a few hours of sleep here and there is nothing compared to the nightmare of Ambien dependence and withdrawing from it.  Sorry to rant, but I feel very strongly about this stuff.  Check out the information about Ambien in a magazine, one page to push the product and three pages of warnings.  Plus wikipedia has a great deal of information on this drug, nasty stuff.

Sylvia, I'm glad you're reading this thread and reconsidering your Ambien use.  I used it during my withdrawal, I believe it extended it longer than it would have been had I not used it.  I replaced one poison for another and they both nearly destroyed me. 

Pam

This sleep issue is really a problem.  I am amazed at how little sleep one can actually "function" on.  It will take time for you body to readjust and be able to sleep without help.

Have you checked out the insomnia board?  There are some suggestions for "natural" ways to help sleep.  You may get some ideas there.

Pam,

Amen there is no hell like Ambien hell.  This stuff is so crazy addictive and so misleading to Dr's and patients.  It is so true that my body and brain have forgotten how to sleep without chemicals, I used to be able to nap in the day and quite enjoy it.  BUt I lost that ability by taking ambien in fact it had nearly destroyed me also.  What a humongous monkey on my back, I am so glad to be getting rid of him.  I know it will be hard as I did this 4 months ago, but hopefully it will be a little easier as I know what to expect.  Knowing that other people have made it through gives me strength and hope, so keep it up. :smitten:

Hopefully Beeper can comment on this thread. She was able to quit taking Ambien 3 months after withdrawing from benzos. If I remember correctly, she said quitting Ambien was a lot easier than quitting benzos.

Sylvia

Hopefully Beeper can comment on this thread. She was able to quit taking Ambien 3 months after withdrawing from benzos. If I remember correctly, she said quitting Ambien was a lot easier than quitting benzos.

Sylvia

Hi Sylvia,

We're all different in how we approach things, my problem is I went for the Ambien after my cold turkey from Klonopin with the same wild abandon that I took the Klonopin.  I was taking massive amounts of it during the night and eventually during the day.  I experienced the worst that it had to offer because I'm who I am, someone who has to have it all or nothing. 

I know there are people who can handle addictive substances, but I'm not one of them.  What troubles me about Ambien is the possibility is there.  And, as so many of us on the forum will agree, if the possibility is there then the chance for misuse is there. 

You know yourself better than anyone, I hope you'll do what's best for you.  That's what I want too, to see you succeed. 

Take care,

Pam

Lori,  I called my friend who is a endocrinologist and explained my situation and lab resuts to him and he wants to see what my other labs show before starting testosterone.  But, probably a good idea to hold off and repeat labs down the road after I've stabilized.

Hey slupa,

This sounds like a good idea. :thumbsup: Don't worry about having to take testosterone, atleast for now. Got my blood and urine tests back and all the female and stress hormones were normal. Must still be benzo withdrawals, even though the drs. don't think it is (as usual)!! Take care....

Three days off and suprisingly my head feels a little better, although I caught a nasty cold which makes sleeping ny unto impossible.  Hopefully when the cold breaks I will be able to really know how my body is feeling.

Hi slupa,

You're home free!!  You've made the psychological break from them and the rest is just waiting for your natural sleep mechanism to return.  Yes, colds are the worst for sleeping aren't they?  You'd think your body would do what it needs to do to get more rest during a cold, but your nasal and bronchial passages conspire against that.

Good job on making your decision and sticking with it.  It's so great to be learn how to sleep on your own again, it's so good to be set free from a PILL!!! :yippee:

Pam

Pam

Thanks for the reply, the only way is forward and take it one day at a time.  This site and everybody's replies have definately been a huge support, they give me strength and encouragement.  Others have done it and are doing it and so can I.

• 7 years later...
Hi, I want to taper off of Ambien and need a little encouragement and support. I've been taking 15-20 mgs. a night for almost two years and 10 mgs a night for about 8 years before that. I successfully tapered off of Klonopin (with the help of this site) three years ago. I was briefly off of Ambien back then but relapsed. I've always had terrible sleep issues and fear of not sleeping. But I really want to get off of this stuff. I've read through many of these posts and they are helpful.