Dr. Catherine Pittman: Invitation to Participate in Study

[Co...]

I took the survey too...and would like to encourage all the "oldies", as well as the newer buddies here to take the time to do so.  It does not take long, and I think it is just one of the steps that we can take towards encouraging the medical profession to take very seriously the possible consequences of not informing patients of the risks that can go along with taking benzodiazepines and z-drugs.  I appreciate the opportunity that we were given to share our experiences.

~Leena  :)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Co...]

• [...]

• [Mo...]

• [ea...]

Hi,

The expectation is that the results will indeed be published after they are presented to a conference in a few months time.

I didn't do a lot to facilitate this. Of course, the major credit goes to Dr Pittman for devising the survey and for compiling the results; Nick, our tech, who coded the pass code system; and the members, for participating. I only wrote the announcement.

Thanks.

For those who are wondering, you may exit the survey and re-enter it through the link here on BB.  You will be routed to the specific page and question you were on when you exited the survey.  This is true so long as you use the same computer, do not delete your browser history, and do not click "done" at the end of the survey. 

Additionally, there is no time limit on taking the survey (other than the March 29th deadline).  This will help those who may be interrupted or who otherwise would like more time to take the survey.

Thanks to everyone who chooses to participate!

emkbb

Good to know!  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

It was easy and fun and you can try this at home.  My only complaint is that they forgot to ask what species you are and what planet you're from... ::)

Elwood over and out

I took the survey.  It was hard for me, but everything is hard for me.  I recommend taking it to anyone who has not done so.  They said the purpose of the survey is to try to educate medical profession more ( I think that is what it said) so forgive me if I'm wrong, or correct me if I am wrong.

I think the deadline is March 29th  if I'm not mistaken.  I took it today because I thought the deadline was tomorrow and did not want to go through it due to the stress I now have and fear.  Please take it.  Maybe it could make a difference in even the life of one person?  Maybe it could make it so others don't have such a hard time finding a "benzo wise" doctor?  There are none listed in my state that I am aware of.

My sincere thanks go to Colin, the Team here, and to Dr. Catherine Pittman.

Believe me, if I could handle taking this survey, anyone can.  I'm a total mess.  Full of TERROR.

Kian

I just got a PM about this,  but I did the survey practically the same day it was posted! I hope my answers werent "lost!" I believe I did use the pass code.

eastcoast

I just did the survey, thank you for keeping me on the list of contacts. The survey made telling my story so easy. I am still easily confused, so each question singled out like that was perfect. I hope my input helps in a small way. I could never repay what was freely given to me on these forums during my taper. God bless. Ave

Today Harvey received a notice that he was running out of time to complete the survey.  Normally he would have thought this to be funny if it had not been for the invoice that accompanied the notice.  $74, 836.42 USD may not seem like much money to most, but to an invisible rabbit with an identity crisis and a missing foot, the thought of owing that much money can be disheartening and somewhat devastating. 

Sad but true, Harvey had spent most of his life in debt.  It all started with the library book that he returned one week late back in 3rd grade.  He was too young to understand the concept of interest compounded daily and by the time he had reached 7th grade he was $74, 836.42 USD in debt. 

He knew that although he had always been able to think his way out of a jam, this time things looked pretty bad and it would take some extraordinary effort to get out of this one.  Not tonight - he had to unwind if he was going to think clearly so he headed on down to the neighborhood bar, The Nexus, conveniently located in the heart of the BenzoBuddies Community Forum.  He arrived just in time to join his friends who were already watching Benzos in the News hosted by Dr. Catherine Pittman who was just beginning to interview Pope Francis.  Tonight's subject would prove to be of special interest to the masses (especially Christmas and Easter).

just found my original pass code but no way to get back to the survey???/  okay, I tried... I'm just too stupid to contribute... I had a mind once... but its gone...sorry, you'll have to figure it out w/o me. 

I also did the survey weeks ago and got the PM this morning.  Confusing. 

I'm assuming that the PM was a broadcast to all whether you've done the survey or not.

I had some questions for Dr. Pittman and emailed her.  Here is part of her response 2/17/13:

Benzo Buddies is a very involved group, and really appreciate how many people have responded to the survey-- over 700.

My interest in benzo withdrawal comes from my work with a variety of individuals who are dealing with anxiety disorders.  I am a clinical psychologist and I use cognitive-behavioral approaches in treating anxiety disorders, so I have met many individuals using benzos to treat their anxiety.  I know individuals who depend upon benzos to help them cope with their anxiety, including some who would like to get off the meds, and others who are happy with using them.  I know from the research and from my experience that while benzos provide relief from anxiety, they often have negative side effects.  One of those side effects is that they can interfere with therapy. Because they sedate the parts of the brain that produce anxiety, they can keep those parts of the brain from learning new approaches.  So, I have been interested in the effects of benzos, and think people (including doctors) should be educated about all the effects of benzos.

I was introduced to Benzo Buddies by someone I know who is trying to get off of benzos.  It seemed to be a great group of people to ask about several important issues related to benzos, and to share their knowledge and experience with those who provide treatment.  The results will be presented at the ADAA (Anxiety and Depression Association of America) conference in April, and I will also provide a powerpoint of the results to the BenzoBuddies site in April.  At the ADAA conference, the audience will be composed of therapists and doctors who are interested in learning effective ways to treat anxiety and depression.  I don't know how many will attend my specific presentation,but I expect it to be at the lowest 25 and at the most 200 people.  Then I plan to write an article for publication in a medical or psychological journal based on the study.  I am hoping that the information about how benzos affect people and what they experience when they try to get off them can be shared with doctors and with therapists across the U.S.  I don't think that the effects of benzos are well understood, even by physicians, and even though they have their place in treatment of anxiety, I don't think they are always  used correctly.

I also completed the survey and emailed Dr. Pittman to offer further information since I have been researching and writing about the PAWS dilemma for almost a year...have not heard back from her.  I look forward to seeing what becomes of her intention to shed some light on this little acknowledged issue. 

Hi there, I thought I completed the survey and also got the pm this morning.  How can we know if our survey went through ok or not.  Sorry cog fog today.

also I now cannot remember where to get my pass code in case I have to take the survey over.

Thanks for all you do for us,

Flutterbye

I hope that's just the way she wrote it and not what she meant...if she means the problem is that "we" are not "using" the drugs correctly... we're doomed to ride this train forever... until I started tapering this last time... I never once used this drug outside the prescribed parameters.  With no help from the med. comm., I floundered unmercifully and until I happened to mention my predicament to a friend who hooked me up w/ lots of good advice and this site, it was sheer terror.  They are not all good days, now,  but  I am more hopeful of recovery and I've been able to give my dr some research and help inform my own taper w/ her support. I've noticed this site has had some tech. problems in the past... lets hope Dr. P.  gets what she needs and all our posts are not in some virtual vault somewhere or that other dr's will take her lead and all this information will get to those who can use it to help their patients... it really has to be more than those who just deal w/ anxiety and depression... I wasn't prescribed for either.  Dr's who don't know what these drugs really are and what they do are prescribing them w/ no knowledge of either the drug or how to really help their patients come off once the risks outweigh the benefits. 

The PM I got was from Colin. I think it was sort of a "form letter" and did not mean our surveys somehow got missed. At least, thats what Im hoping! Cog fog - my goodness, when will it let up?!

Thank you, thank you, thank you :thumbsup: Yes the whole world can be wrong!!! These drugs are the most awful things in the world!!! They have taken away so much from me. Thank goodness my wife is as incredible as she is & protected my kids from the mess I was. I was benzo free for almost a year & a half but broke & went back on for a few months.(another colossal mistake!) I have now been benzo free for about 6 months & this time I am fully committed to completely healing. My windows have gotten longer & more frequent. Those times are beautiful.

Dr. Pittman, I answered the survey. Please don't let these pills from hell be prescribed any more except in true cases of tragedy & then for only a very short period of time to numb the brain.

Thanks benzobuddies for all your great work!!!

Njoy, she meant that the drugs might not be prescribed correctly. Not that patients were not using them correctly. It is the way it is said in the mediacl community...

I took the survey just now. I thought it was so so, and not detailed. There should have been many more choices, rather then fill in the blank. Especially for the BB people who have a bit of brain fog. I cant and dont want to remember all my symptoms.

I am gald that someone is at least trying. problem is that we will always be a pill society.