Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Does anyone know about tapering HRT?

[la...]

Does anyone have any information on how to taper off of hormones?  My sister is wanting to get off of hers, but I can't see stopping hormones cold turkey a good thing.  I think she should taper them to get off.

Anyone know?

Phyllis :smitten:

• 2 months later...

Hi Phyllis,

Sorry it took so long for me to reply - I only just now saw your post.

I've had two experiences coming off hormones. The first time I stopped cold turkey and had no problems. The second time I also stopped cold turkey and had the worst cramping of my life - close to labor pains in intensity - lasting about an hour but seemed like days. I was taking synthetic hormones the first time (about ten years ago) and bio-identicals the second time (three months ago). I don't know if the different types of hormones was what made the difference. I'd say tapering would be the wisest way to go, even if her doctor recommends otherwise. As we all know, doctors can be very wrong in their recommendations  :pokey:.

Good luck!

Lynne

Hi Phyllis,

Sorry it took so long for me to reply - I only just now saw your post.

I've had two experiences coming off hormones. The first time I stopped cold turkey and had no problems. The second time I also stopped cold turkey and had the worst cramping of my life - close to labor pains in intensity - lasting about an hour but seemed like days. I was taking synthetic hormones the first time (about ten years ago) and bio-identicals the second time (three months ago). I don't know if the different types of hormones was what made the difference. I'd say tapering would be the wisest way to go, even if her doctor recommends otherwise. As we all know, doctors can be very wrong in their recommendations  :pokey:.

Good luck!

Lynne

Hey Lynne,

No problem on the timing.  My sister is on hormones and wants to get off of them.  I told her I was pretty sure she needed to wean from them.

Do you have any idea the method of tapering hormones??    ???    I've never taken them so I'm clueless.

Phyllis    :smitten: