What is happening in your brain?

[pa...]

Hi,

You will probably get more responses if you post your question on the main forum. Many more members will see it.

Best of luck :)

Thanks to Parker and Pianogirl!  So glad I happened to catch this tonight.  As a family member who is trying to figure out how to help this is invaluable.  I needed every bit of that information.  I don't know how but I wish this was the first thing I had been given when finding BB.  Thank goodness it didn't take me a long time to find it.

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Me and My

Hi, Pianogirl,

I am just wondering if anyone is going to physical therapy to help with any symptoms.  My husband has been prescribed several weeks of pt.  They are trying to habituate his dizzy/drunk feeling.  I have to tell you that he went for 6 weeks first and then we stopped for two.  The neurotologist just prescribed 4 more weeks of pt.  He hates the dizzy feeling and really the therapist cannot "MAKE" him dizzy.  He may go for an hour of trying to get dizzy and not get dizzy, then he may turn his head at work or home just right and BAM the dizzy/drunk is back.

His windows are getting longer and the waves when they do come are sometimes short lived so I think he is getting better everyday. After about two weeks of feeling somewhat ok, he had another wave yesterday that took him right back down. 

Reading this really helped understand everything. 

Does PT help?

Me and My

Hi, Pianogirl,

I am just wondering if anyone is going to physical therapy to help with any symptoms.  My husband has been prescribed several weeks of pt.  They are trying to habituate his dizzy/drunk feeling.  I have to tell you that he went for 6 weeks first and then we stopped for two.  The neurotologist just prescribed 4 more weeks of pt.  He hates the dizzy feeling and really the therapist cannot "MAKE" him dizzy.  He may go for an hour of trying to get dizzy and not get dizzy, then he may turn his head at work or home just right and BAM the dizzy/drunk is back.

His windows are getting longer and the waves when they do come are sometimes short lived so I think he is getting better everyday. After about two weeks of feeling somewhat ok, he had another wave yesterday that took him right back down. 

Reading this really helped understand everything. 

Does PT help?

Me and My

Please see my post thread and the recent post to it regarding seeing a neuro-otologist.

They relieved my vertigo in one hot by using an Epley Omniax machine.

:)Parker

Is that what is happening? My legs really hurt, my knees are thick, and i have these strange bugs crawling under my skin mostly on my lower legs, happend after 2 weeks of restless legs, i have these pins and needles feeling in my neck and shoulders, are these my nerves healing? Sure hope so....and thank for you,r great explains.....x Sandra.

brain is not still functioning.

brain has it's own thoughts going on whole day.

it hurts, scary, putting me in despair, misery, anixety, anger, frustration, and. etc..

beginning to think whether i was like this before benzo.

it's bringing in all the old bad memories. not the pleasant ones. can't think logically or rationally. this has been going on for a long time now. month or two? i do not recall.

actually, i do not recognize myself either.

P.O., what do you do to augment the healing of your neurotransmitters, if anything?  Are you eating well and getting lots of good nutrients, eating healthy fatty acids to rebuild myelin that sheaths and protects the nerves, walking or using a rebounder, taking any supplements, doing things to distract yourself while you are so terribly miserable?

It's just a thought, but the gentle stepping action on a rebounder (miniature trampoline) along with the cross action of arm swinging or pumping, helps activate and build neuronal pathways. It is the same principal why it is so important for babies to crawl and why babies and young children with physically limiting disabilities have physical therapists lay them on their backs and cross pump arms and legs. This action actually prevents neuronal deterioration and helps build neuronal health.

My husband bought me a rebounder when I got where I could no longer go out and walk. I actually think it is doing more good than the impact of walking did, it is so gentle but serves the purpose. It also pumps the lymph fluid to help detoxify the body and it reduces liver chi stagnation, especially if you add a slight twisting motion. 

I'm so impaired I have to set a timer to remind myself to do it and a timer to keep me on it for just 5 minutes at a time. Even I can do 5 minutes very gently every few hours and it keeps me distracted AND does so many good things for me in my extremely impaired state.

OMG!  I dodn't know this.

Well, Exercise it is for me now!

brain is not still functioning.

brain has it's own thoughts going on whole day.

it hurts, scary, putting me in despair, misery, anixety, anger, frustration, and. etc..

beginning to think whether i was like this before benzo.

it's bringing in all the old bad memories. not the pleasant ones. can't think logically or rationally. this has been going on for a long time now. month or two? i do not recall.

actually, i do not recognize myself either.

P.O., what do you do to augment the healing of your neurotransmitters, if anything?  Are you eating well and getting lots of good nutrients, eating healthy fatty acids to rebuild myelin that sheaths and protects the nerves, walking or using a rebounder, taking any supplements, doing things to distract yourself while you are so terribly miserable?

It's just a thought, but the gentle stepping action on a rebounder (miniature trampoline) along with the cross action of arm swinging or pumping, helps activate and build neuronal pathways. It is the same principal why it is so important for babies to crawl and why babies and young children with physically limiting disabilities have physical therapists lay them on their backs and cross pump arms and legs. This action actually prevents neuronal deterioration and helps build neuronal health.

My husband bought me a rebounder when I got where I could no longer go out and walk. I actually think it is doing more good than the impact of walking did, it is so gentle but serves the purpose. It also pumps the lymph fluid to help detoxify the body and it reduces liver chi stagnation, especially if you add a slight twisting motion. 

I'm so impaired I have to set a timer to remind myself to do it and a timer to keep me on it for just 5 minutes at a time. Even I can do 5 minutes very gently every few hours and it keeps me distracted AND does so many good things for me in my extremely impaired state.

OMG!  I dodn't know this.

Well, Exercise it is for me now!

Just be sure to start slowly SkyZone.

Thank you for positing this information - and in such a positive way! Since we only get an hour of logged in time, I'm copying and pasting to a Word document to read later! Thank you for everything! I hope I can find this thread later!

xo

Hi amtrying,

You can change the amount of time you are on the site, just tab down or place your cursor in the time area and type in '400' or whatever you want.  I had the same thought to at first, than I figured it out.  Just be sure to log out.  Hope this help....so you don't feel rushed and can take your time, a lot of good info on this site.

peace

eli

Parker,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your knowledge with us. There is so much I could relate to in your post, and despite the discomfort have been trying to analyze all of the sensations I feel (many in my head/brain with every thought, sensory response, emotion, etc.) However, I don't have the background in this area so it was very powerful for you to tie it all together.

Right now I am experiencing extreme sensitivities to smell, as well as food sensitivities. Upon the scent of any type of chemicals, strong or intense scents like mint, pepper, gasoline, perfume, etc., my brain goes into intense state of anxiety and tears that can last for anywhere from 10 minutes - 2 hours. Can you shed any light on these parts of the brain and what might be happening here? I know several other benzo buddies are experiencing the same symptoms.

Thank you!

K

Parker,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your knowledge with us. There is so much I could relate to in your post, and despite the discomfort have been trying to analyze all of the sensations I feel (many in my head/brain with every thought, sensory response, emotion, etc.) However, I don't have the background in this area so it was very powerful for you to tie it all together.

Right now I am experiencing extreme sensitivities to smell, as well as food sensitivities. Upon the scent of any type of chemicals, strong or intense scents like mint, pepper, gasoline, perfume, etc., my brain goes into intense state of anxiety and tears that can last for anywhere from 10 minutes - 2 hours. Can you shed any light on these parts of the brain and what might be happening here? I know several other benzo buddies are experiencing the same symptoms.

Thank you!

K

Hi there K,

This happened to me, too - but not just with smells.  With almost any stimuli that might be "too strong" - like noise, or even touch from my kids jumping on me and being "in my face" too long. (Normally I am a very cuddly hands-on mom, but I could only tolerate so much "in my space" during these types of waves and it was heartbreaking. I had this type of issue for the first good 8 months off benzos easy.)

I can't speak to the "part" of the brain because I think it has more to do with the regulatory nature of the entire nervous system. I'm "guessing' that normally the CNS and PNS are very active in "neutralizing" the input that comes in to the body in the forms of our senses (taste, smell, touch, hearing, vision) - and as we are lacking a normal affinity for GABA and are experiencing an excess of glutamate, all of these sensations can be overwhelming for us - and we just go into wave-mode. It often caused me to cry, too - too much noise, touch or bright light just caused me to shut down and I would have to retreat and cry - the same way.

I imagine this may be how some people with autism feel all the time - with sensory regulation challenges.  I am very close to several people with autism - and so this gave me a deeper insight and compassion for what that might feel like to them.

I will tell you that that is ALL gone now for me. I will be 2 years off in a few weeks.  It has been a slow improvement to this point  until one day you look back and realize you haven't had certain symptoms in awhile.  Such is the case with things like this.

Please try not to worry about it being abnormal. It's not.  It's likely just that the CNS cannot adequately reguluate sensory input by dampening the signal - so small increasesin normal stimuli feel overwhelming. The brain is trying as hard as it can.

Ironically - try to think of these as just speed bumps and as part of recovery. It is the nature of the brain and CNS to heal in response to stimuli. So while it may feel overwhelming now, the brain is utilizing that input to recognize that it needs to reupregulate GABA receptors and pair down glutamate receptors.  Before this - the drugs made it "feel like' the brain could do without extra GABA - and now - the stimuli that is causing arousal and overwhelm are making the brain think "Shoot! I need to get those receptors up and running again!". That kind of "brain feedback loop" is ultimately part of what helps the receptors "grow back" based on the demand that the body is encountering. 

Take it easy and just rest and cry during these times. While you are resting and sleeping, the brain is busy rebuilding so that over time, as you encounter more arousing stimuli, you will once again have the receptor affinity to balance your system naturally. It just takes time and good nutrition for that recovery to occur. But it will.  I can promise you that.  If it happened for me, it will happen for you. There is nothing special about me or anyone else. Recovery is inevitable. 

Rest and take it easy and just cry or take an Epsom bath. This too shall pass. :thumbsup:

:smitten: Parker

I was at 7 1/4 mg. for 24 days with no improvement so I reduced my dose to 7 mg. I have now been holding at that level for 45 days but there hasn't been any improvement at all. At this point I can't even consider any further reduction because I'm experiencing unbearable anxiety every waking moment. Along with the anxiety I have agoraphobia, severe body pain and extreme panic, enough to send me to the E.R. I'm unable to go to work. They were no help whatsoever. Can anyone give me any advice? Any and all help is welcome!!!

Parker,

Thanks so much for all the time and priceless information you provide. I read and re-read over and over again your post about what happens to the brain

I only have 2-3 symptoms that seem to persist.

1. Cog Fog (memory, planning, organizing, etc).

2. Vertigo or boaty feeling and

3. Immense head pressure (in the forehead and face, eyes, etc).

Is this the frontal lobes and vestibular systems healing? How much of the vertigo can be related to sinuses? I have always had bad sinuses...

Thanks again for your dedication to humanity and your BBs.  :)

-Shelby

Parker,

Thanks so much for all the time and priceless information you provide. I read and re-read over and over again your post about what happens to the brain

I only have 2-3 symptoms that seem to persist.

1. Cog Fog (memory, planning, organizing, etc).

2. Vertigo or boaty feeling and

3. Immense head pressure (in the forehead and face, eyes, etc).

Is this the frontal lobes and vestibular systems healing? How much of the vertigo can be related to sinuses? I have always had bad sinuses...

Thanks again for your dedication to humanity and your BBs.  :)

-Shelby

Hi Shelby,

All 3 of those symptoms are TOTALLY normal at only a few months off benzos.  My head pressure did not leave until about 15 months off - between 15-18months.  I had it ALL the way up until then and it was unrelenting until about that time - and then it faded away in 30-60 days and was GONE. This highlights the importance of "knowing" that this is a long healing sometimes- and that even though it seems like you're not getting any better - something CAN TAKE THAT LONG to go away.  The truth is, it's getting better EVERY day, but the perception of that is often not felt for a LONG time until the symptom goes away.

The more symptoms that DO go away - even if that take awhile - the more confidence you will really have in the fact that you're going to heal. When it takes 18 months for something big to go away - that becomes an analogy in your mind... "well - if it took a whole 18 months for THAT to go away - but it DID go away - then it is reasonable to believe that the other thigns will too - but again - it may just be longer."  I can tell you I had that awful head pressure every moment of every day - like my head was stretching too tall and like my eyes were bulging out - for more than a year - but it's totally gone - I'm normal now in that regard. So keep that in mind.  Don't get scared that it's forever, because it's not. :)

The cog fog and dizziness and all of that is normal until the entire CNS calms down.  The waves may feel "constant" at this point, and so you may not really feel like it's windows and waves YET.  For me, it was just "BAD" for a year until the windows started. Remember though - that healing is occurring whether you can feel it or not. One day, enough recovery happens and you are able to perceive the improvement. That is when the true windows start. And yes - you will have waves that feel like you never improved at all - but they are just indicative of the brain going back down into repair mode.  All of this is normal and to be EXPECTED. If this does NOT happen to you, you got off easier! If it DOES happen to you, it is normal. :)  Just don't let it scare you or make you think it's permanent because it's been ___ amount of time.  That's not indicative of anything. Healing is ongoing, while being able to perceive it is a result of the senses getting to a certain recovery threshold. This is also why many people go a year or two and feel just "bad" but "a little better" and then WHOOSH - big windows.  It happens for everyone at different times. Some people are good to go in 6 months. Others have windows from the start because they weren't as severe. Still others, like me, can go a year or more before they can detect any change.  So please know that although the patterns are different, the trend is the same for everyone in time.

:)Parker

God bless you dear. This was the perhaps the most educational and inspiring thing that I have found in all of my searching.

Thank you SO much! :smitten:

Would it be appropriate to point out that the healing will not begin until you take the last piece of the benzo?

I found that my w/d's were horrible for the entire time I was tapering, and did not even begin to get any better until the 2nd week after the final piece. Then, all of the sudden it came back and has not left since. Today is day 44 and they are bad, but at least NOW I AM HEALING.

Bravo, Pianogirl!  Your description of what is happening in our "benzobrains" was brilliant.  In my non-benzo world, I am a scientist, and I have never seen it explained so clearly.  Thank you.

Bravo, Pianogirl!  Your description of what is happening in our "benzobrains" was brilliant.  In my non-benzo world, I am a scientist, and I have never seen it explained so clearly.  Thank you.

This was actually written by a member named Parker, as pianogirl says at the start of the article. While pianogirl is as special and smart as they come, she wouldn't want to take credit for this post.  ;)

This is such an excellent explanation....thank you! In the first weeks I had the exact same thing with the fan....I started to hear 4 notes that would sound like a violin playing....a very dismal tune.  It really felt like I was going insane.  Thanks for explaining that too :thumbsup: