Permanent damage to GABA receptor?

[cr...]

Why didn't Ihave better genes. I might have been able to beat this and heal

I'm afraid too

What a bad drug should not be in circulation

I spent hours and hours looking for all the research about whether benzo's cause permanent brain damage and the good peer reviewed scientific studies haven't been done that I know of.  So, if we don't have the research, then we don't know.  I would like to think of all the millions of people who took benzo's long term and got off them with no problem is reassuring.  My neighbor up the street took Klonopin for a year and got off them in three days with no problem.  I won't believe they cause permanent damage since no one knows. 

i've been on klonopin and other benzo's for about 25 years! i did have a 7 year break where i was completely off them though--and i am healing from this and i believe that my GABA receptor's are pruning there way back into up regulation. i don't know why it takes so long though--i am 19 months out.

i am really starting to get that i shouldn't use any other medication at all. i am still tapering from the suboxone and doing a good job with that. the only other thing i'm taking is LDN in an ultra low dose. which is Low Dose Naltrexone which heals the brain. and nothing else. i may try the ginkgo biloba a little later one as it's supposed to help the GABA's up regulate but that's about it.

everything i've heard from other's on here state to not take any other drugs so as to allow the brain to heal. i've heard from so many other's that are not on this forum that they took years. if that's what it takes, then i guess i will be up for it.

read the book "The Brain That Changes Itself" by Norman Doidge. about the brain's neuroplasicity, read all about things like that and so as to change the beliefs and the fear that a brain cannot heal from this.

I am replying to the original poster of this thread regarding the article cited authored by Schweitzer at al (2000) loacted at :

http://www.acnp.org/G4/GN401000129/CH127.html

This is a very interesting and well written article about the consequences of acute and chronic benzo administration. Though at the present time it is somewhat outdated (13 years old) and new information is obviously not included.

One particular point from the article regarding dependence should be noted:

"The medical–legal implication of this situation [benzo prescription] is that information on dependence and withdrawal effects should probably be a routine part of the educational introduction of all patients to the benefits and risks of benzodiazepine therapy. "

I was never inofrmed in this manner by my doctor and I suspect many of you out there on BB were not as well. Apparently, so called medical professionals we depend on, are not adequately trained or reading the pertinent literature related to their practice. What a shame and total failure of our medical system!

I still can't shake what my previous doctor told me about some people "never healing" and needing benzos forever. God I am so scared I have ruined myself. :'( I am scared I will have to take Klonopin again if I ever am to function at even a minimal level.  Then, of course, I will need more and more of it as the years go on... and I will become more and more of a moron as a result. :'( 

Is it just me, or does it seem like a lot of the people who are having a very hard time month out are those who came off of Klonopin?  I know that there are others here who have had a difficult time long term coming off of other benzos, but it seems to me like there is a trend with protracted withdrawal and Klonopin. :(

im scared too. ive had no help from any dr. doing this ALONE.

im glad i have benzo buddies.

im going on two yr off.

Hi,  I do see a trend on cold turkey cases.  I do not see that many cold turkey success stories on the board and it scares me too.  I am a cold turkey case :'( Maybe that's a real problem, C/T. 

I think the answers to healing could be hormone related. Hormone's are powerful signalers for DNA change.  I had a lot of luck taking 15,000 mcg of B-12 sublingual and placing 6 daily 2500mcg doses under my lip (not the tongue) so I get a solid dose in my blood stream.  B12 sublingual really starts to push the release of HGH from the pituitary gland and I am starting to feel oddly better.  After lots of research I have a feeling healing is somehow hormone related, maybe that's the key to full rejuvenation.  Still researching just in case I do not heal to my satisfaction or expectations in the end.

So far I have gotten rid of all s/x from c/t except for the dreaded tinnitus. In my left ear it is so loud that I have actual ear pain like an infection :tickedoff:

My cuts do not hurt that much any longer but they do give me louder tinnitus. :'(

I still can't shake what my previous doctor told me about some people "never healing" and needing benzos forever. God I am so scared I have ruined myself. :'( I am scared I will have to take Klonopin again if I ever am to function at even a minimal level.  Then, of course, I will need more and more of it as the years go on... and I will become more and more of a moron as a result. :'( 

Is it just me, or does it seem like a lot of the people who are having a very hard time month out are those who came off of Klonopin?  I know that there are others here who have had a difficult time long term coming off of other benzos, but it seems to me like there is a trend with protracted withdrawal and Klonopin. :(

im scared too. ive had no help from any dr. doing this ALONE.

im glad i have benzo buddies.

im going on two yr off.

Hi,  I do see a trend on cold turkey cases.  I do not see that many cold turkey success stories on the board and it scares me too.  I am a cold turkey case :'( Maybe that's a real problem, C/T. 

I think the answers to healing could be hormone related. Hormone's are powerful signalers for DNA change.  I had a lot of luck taking 15,000 mcg of B-12 sublingual and placing 6 daily 2500mcg doses under my lip (not the tongue) so I get a solid dose in my blood stream.  B12 sublingual really starts to push the release of HGH from the pituitary gland and I am starting to feel oddly better.  After lots of research I have a feeling healing is somehow hormone related, maybe that's the key to full rejuvenation.  Still researching just in case I do not heal to my satisfaction or expectations in the end.

So far I have gotten rid of all s/x from c/t except for the dreaded tinnitus. In my left ear it is so loud that I have actual ear pain like an infection :tickedoff:

My cuts do not hurt that much any longer but they do give me louder tinnitus. :'(

hormones and methyl groups. Dubjam buddie on here taught me about "methylation". he thinks that is one of the main reasons some heal faster than other's. pretty sure he said something like that. Bird, you're good at research, do some research about the methyl groups. i think it also has to do with how all the B vitamins work within us. i just found out today that i do have one of my mthfr gene that is mutated. gotta find out what i can do about that?

I am sure many of us have read just about every article/page that exists on the web regarding this. If you haven't read this, then you should, it might help ease some worries and put things into perspective.

http://benzowithdrawalsyndrome.wordpress.com/category/permanent-damage/

Thanks for posting this link. Obviously the author(s) are well acquiainted both personally, and from research, with benzo wd sxs and the issue of recovery rate and completeleness. Most of the article, however, is supposition and speculative and is the culmination of the authors opinion. This is likely due to the paucity of relevant clinical studies on the pertinent issues, but a well written article on this subject should have drawn from both the clinical AND non-clinical literature and referenced these findings, which the article did not. Factual information tends to offer credibility to the claims being made. That being said, I still tend to agree with the authors opinions. Plasticity of the human brain is quite remarkable and its resiliency to bounce back should not be underestimated.