Challis' Success

[Ch...]

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x78/Bagggz/bunny_pancake.jpg

Here it is!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Love it!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OMG, OS just rushed in to see what the heck I am laughing at! I started this morning pretty somber. I had so little to do really, being here has lifted my spirits so much. This is what my life is right now. You guys are awesome...thanks for the funny, Challis!!!lolololololol...

Feels kind of like a reunion on the forum today.

Love you guys!

xoxo

*hi carol :)

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ch...]

• [cl...]

• [Bu...]

• [Af...]

Challis.

I saved it this time.

I can look at that ridiculous picture anytime and think of you.

Picture ridiculous Not you:):)

So happy that your Life has come back to you.

Love Carol

Hi Challis, we did it.  I love that we are in our second year.  I feel so grown up. I can join the other veterans who have helped me so much during this year and before when I was tapering and, then, finally C/Ting.  Love the bunny with the pancake hat.  Having had a lot of experience with rabbits, including Miss Bea Happy Bunny, Lucy Rabbit and George, the self-appointed patriarch of my indoor meadow, I have seen my rabbits with pancakes on their heads.  It happens when they don't want to discuss chewed phone cords, frayed drapes, and munched on books.  Oh yes! I know the pancake trick.

Thanks for coming back and sharing the joy and humor of recovery.  We are making it! Hugs and more hugs!

• 4 months later...

Almost 17 months and doing well...most significant improvement was at about 15 months with no waves in the last two months.  What a journey it's been.

Challis  :highfive:

How wonderful to hear from you!! You are so missed, both as a buddie and especially as the best moderator this forum has ever had. We all have a mod who was our "special" connection when we first got involved here: I am SO thankful that you were mine!!  ;D

I'm thrilled that your healing process is progressive and calm.

Love,

M.  :smitten:

Aw, thanks, M... such sweet words!!  We arrive here in such desperation that the first connection is a sharp memory in an otherwise very murky-memory time of our lives, right? 

I hope you're also doing well.

Love,

Challis  :smitten:

Almost 17 months and doing well...most significant improvement was at about 15 months with no waves in the last two months.  What a journey it's been.

Hey Challis

So good to virtually see you, I miss not seeing your light on http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad275/navesdad/Stop_Light_Green.gif I am so pleased to read your doing well, yes its been a hell of a journey, you worked hard for your freedom and you deserve the very best life has to offer.

((hugs))

Mags :highfive:

Hey Challis

So good to virtually see you, I miss not seeing your light on http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad275/navesdad/Stop_Light_Green.gif I am so pleased to read your doing well, yes its been a hell of a journey, you worked hard for your freedom and you deserve the very best life has to offer.

((hugs))

Mags :highfive:

Well, see how fast I responded now that I've just discovered my BB email has been disappearing into my spam box???  Good grief...a moment of benzo brain must have returned at some point and I spammed an email.  I thought no one missed me all this time!

Love ya, Mags!

Hope that you get the email that I am stopping by.

Like M already said, you were MY moderator too.

I am happy that you are doing so well.

I keep your group hug safe and spread it around once in a whole.

Thank you Challis

Love Carol

Hope that you get the email that I am stopping by.

Like M already said, you were MY moderator too.

I am happy that you are doing so well.

I keep your group hug safe and spread it around once in a whole.

Thank you Challis

Love Carol

Aw, I love my BBs!  :smitten:  I hope you're doing well, Carol.

• 6 months later...

After 31 years, I'm two months free today. I took my last dose April 7th, 2012.  April 8th, Easter, was my first day benzo-free in more than half my life.  I pushed my taper a little fast at the end to have it end on Easter, the day of rebirth.

I've never looked back nor been tempted to take another.  Life is brighter, the future is clear and clean, and I welcome it with open heart and open arms.

In a nutshell, benzodiazepines seemed to work for me for many years, starting with one Temazepam for sleep, then two.  When life hit me upside the head with tragedy, Xanax got me through for awhile.  It became a problem as tolerance set in.  I decided to end its power over my body.

I tapered for nine months.  It went relatively okay and I was functional until the end.  The end was brutal.  But thanks to this forum and all of you, I got through it.

At two months out I'm doing very well.  I have a little sound and light sensitivity, but it's diminishing.  I'm a bit weak physically.  I've logged a major amount of couch time, which would weaken anyone.  That's not withdrawal, just the result of laying around doing nothing except typing.  I'm working on it.

If I'm out and about for more than a few hours, I get a bit jittery and want to go home.  CNS is fragile, I know that's all it is and it will heal eventually.  I'm not a bit worried.  It all makes perfect sense. 

Thanks to this forum and thanks to all of you, I understand and I have no fear.

Love,

Challis http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo29/pigletmph/zadiffgrouphug.gif

http://www.graphicsgrotto.com/animatedgifs/images/agmisc3.gif

Congrats to my friend, Jennieh, who is also two months benzo-free today.  And to Lizzy and Jane and StanfordGal and Afighter, who are right behind us in their own freedom...love you, girlies!

So.  Fast forward two years and that would be today.  Positive as the post above is, I was much weaker and more fragile than I realized at the time. 

I hung out mostly on the couch for a few more months, thinking each day was going to be better.  As time went by, couch time became less and less.  I had waves of symptoms that nearly always appeared to be triggered by stress.  I had long windows of weeks to months where I could get minor projects done and carry on relatively normally.

Most of the noticeable healing happened around 18 months.  I've had a couple of possible waves in the last couple of months but they could have been flu, the symptoms are so similar.

Life is good, I can do whatever I need or want to do.  Mr C and I have gotten a puppy and three kittens and I'm currently catching up with all the maintenance a 1906 house needs, especially after a couple of years of neglect while the bossy one was on the couch.  In the last couple of months I've re-stenciled one bedroom floor, torn generations of wallpaper off three other rooms, repaired the plaster cracks and painted the walls and ceilings.  Painted two more wood floors, sanded and Varathaned the hallway.  The house is starting to come out of its darkness, too. 

Sleeping pretty well most nights, RLS is again under control, tapered HRT recently.  I'm still very careful with caffeine and alcohol.  I have taken no meds or supplements during my recovery except chelated magnesium with calcium and Requip for RLS. 

My heart remains in the benzo community.  When I take a break on the couch these days, I often log on here because I know what it's like to need the reassurance that this is doable, that as hard as it is, it's so worth it.

Love,

Challis

Challis dear...so good to read this! Time is the healer. Your story illustrates this beautifully. Reading of your awakening helps me know I can do it too.

You were the first to welcome me to BB nearly two years ago. Thank you! This week I am 10 months off Xanax and at the tail end of a Valium taper. I know this has been possible because I have walked with you and others here on BB. I am deeply grateful.

Sending you blessings for wellness and joy,

Carita

I picture you at this springtime, in that lovely home, with critters running about, lots of magazines with home renovations, sipping ice tea, and looking peaceful and smiling....it inspires me. So glad that you take the time to contribute at BB.

Challis dear...so good to read this! Time is the healer. Your story illustrates this beautifully. Reading of your awakening helps me know I can do it too.

You were the first to welcome me to BB nearly two years ago. Thank you! This week I am 10 months off Xanax and at the tail end of a Valium taper. I know this has been possible because I have walked with you and others here on BB. I am deeply grateful.

Sending you blessings for wellness and joy,

Carita

Awakening is the perfect word for it, Carita.  I can't wait to read about your awakening… I know you will be able to describe it in such amazing words, as you always do.

I picture you at this springtime, in that lovely home, with critters running about, lots of magazines with home renovations, sipping ice tea, and looking peaceful and smiling....it inspires me. So glad that you take the time to contribute at BB.

Sounds nice, Rose… no magazines, I've sent them all off to recycling in my reorganizing frenzy.  Smiling, yes, peaceful, not as much…I'm a zippy zoom-around type that leaves chaos in my wake… and hates to come back and waste time cleaning up.  Lol… more like this:  :D and  :o  and  >:D

:thumbsup:

So happy for you challis.  Great success story.  You were the first one on here to contact me about my worry about healing at my age.  Thank you so much for the encouragement.  I am in my 10th month now and though still suffering anxiety, muscle shakes, weight loss, muscle tone, ear ringing and Those stupid benzo what ifs, I think I am feeling a bit better.  Getting windows but not long ones.  Oh, still crying a lot but that might just be my Italian genes working.  Going outside the house now, driving again, trying to walk everyday.  Still a struggle, feel weary.  But....thanks to you and River Wolf, PJ, Jenniah, Beth Cornwall And a couple of others, I have made it this far.  Thank God for BB.

Wishing you continued healing and peace.  God bless.

:smitten:

Galea

:thumbsup:

So happy for you challis.  Great success story.  You were the first one on here to contact me about my worry about healing at my age.  Thank you so much for the encouragement.  I am in my 10th month now and though still suffering anxiety, muscle shakes, weight loss, muscle tone, ear ringing and Those stupid benzo what ifs, I think I am feeling a bit better.  Getting windows but not long ones.  Oh, still crying a lot but that might just be my Italian genes working.  Going outside the house now, driving again, trying to walk everyday.  Still a struggle, feel weary.  But....thanks to you and River Wolf, PJ, Jenniah, Beth Cornwall And a couple of others, I have made it this far.  Thank God for BB.

Wishing you continued healing and peace.  God bless.

:smitten:

Galea

Galea,

Recovery from benzo withdrawal is the gift that keeps on giving for a few years…I saw the most improvement around 18 months or so… looking back is the only way I could see any progress… it's sooooooooooo slooooooooowwwwww….

Congratulations to you and me today-2 years for both of us! Good see how well you are. Ditto. I recently returned from living and working in Salzburg, Austria with my dear husband. Life is so joyous now that I am recovered from the nightmare of benzos. For those us still suffering take heart. You are healing and will be completely well! YES you will. Love you Challis.

jennieh, Wonderful and inspiring post. To do what you have done, living in another country.......I wish I could go to the Home Depot gardening center for flowers today, but in early part of my tapering journey. Helps to know of the possibilities. Fighting the fears. Soooo happy to hear of another successful buddie. Thank you, Rose

• 2 weeks later...

Jenn and Challiss...you both are inspirations to me...really are! I have Lyme Disease but getting a lot better. Myself and my medical team think that most of my symptoms left (I only have 9 left) are due to one coinfection and Lorazepam. I think about 4-5 of my symptoms are due to withdrawal...benzos suck. My doctor even warned me but the anxiety from the Lyme was so crippling I needed something.

Anyway keep us posted and I hope to join the benzo free ranks soon!  :smitten:

• 3 months later...
Going thru a minor wave today and wanted to revisit some success stories. So glad I read yours Challis, truly inspiring that we all do recover with time! :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...
From your experience how best to approach my final 3 msgs taper?  I have been cutting either .5 or 1 V from 6 V.  Of late starting to feel some muscle tension and trouble w sleep.  Wisdom welcomed.