Challis' Success

[Ch...]

Hi Challis,

Congratulations - I knew you would do this....attitude has a lot to do with getting off the xanax - and other benzos I am sure - I am familiar with xanax as that was the prescribed medication they gave me....I will be free of this horrible medication one year June 20, 2012 - never slipped after that as I think what it was like to be dependent and I don't want to go back there.

Gail

Thunder

"This too shall pass".  "If you're going through hell, keep on going".

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ch...]

• [cl...]

• [Bu...]

• [Af...]

[80...]

you are such a good friend challis, i hope to find the same peace of mind that you have soon. I have faith...thank you for being there for me during the CRAZIEST of times, it means so much!

:smitten: Janie

Challis, no one can give me inspiration like you can. Your story is one of the greatest hope, and you are a true human being.

Because of you, I believe more in me.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Congratulations Challis... amazing stuff... you´ll heal as you say 100%... you did good, real good.  :thumbsup:

Be proud, that´s a huge accomplishment.

Oscar

Wow, it's been a while since I've browsed the success stories and I'm finding that some of my best buddies are declaring themselves healed, how encourageing!  I'm so happy for you Challis.  You really give me hope.  I was at the beginning of my taper around the time you jumped off.  I hope I will be as successful as you!  Congratulations!

Challis, there was a time you and I were suffering at the same time. I had a bit more luck than you and have been 11 months without major symptoms. And now here you are reporting the wonderful news that you are off benzos and your symptoms are dissipating. Obviously you did an excellent taper. I hope you stick around and help people strategize their tapers.

This horrible process does teach us lots and lots about our bodies. I am so aware of my body and am finding that no meds is the preferred treatment in most things. I even have trouble with tylenol. I could swear it acts like a very mild benzo. No doubt you will continue to take good care of yourself and get better and better and better.

Hi Challis,

Congrats on your benzo free life after 31 years, that is fantastic. I hope you are feeling well and continuing to heal as you go along. Thanks for being a moderator and helping others on BB.

love,

Sally

• 8 months later...

In another week I'll be one year benzo-free after 31 years of uninterrupted prescription benzo use.

I spent a year nearly couch bound during w/d and early recovery.  BenzoBuddies was my lifeline and I spent all my time here learning, being supported and trying to support other people. 

The miserable physical symptoms went away within about six months after I jumped.  Getting back my former physical strength, energy and enthusiasm has taken longer.  As the physical symptoms of w/d lessened I was still physically weak and mentally not finding it easy to reconnect with the outside world. 

Blah, blah, blah...skip to now:

Some things I did this week:

Put three coats of paint on all the woodwork in the bathroom, transom window and french doors.  (this was HUGE...)

Sanded the bathroom floor.

Hung plants and hardware on the porch.

Painted some jugs.

Went out of town to a friend's cabin overnight to help repair plumbing.

Dyed eggs with the kids.

Shopped for Easter basket stuff and brunch for the family.

Repaired a vase.

Bought some ferns from Home Depot and black paint for the fence.

Painted the fence for a few hours.

Made three kinds of cookies (the roll out and make shapes kind) and cheesecake. 

Pushing could bring on a little setback of symptoms for a few days or a week but I expect total healing, probably within another year.

I will always be grateful for all the wonderful people on the team who volunteer so much of their time.  Thank you...without this forum I would have had no idea what was going on throughout this long and frightening process. 

Hugs,

Challis  :highfive:

Challis! So good to see you and to know you continue healing. I'm exhausted reading what you did this week! Good grief! I don't think I was that industrious, EVER!  You always have gone full steam ahead - even your taper was that way.  ;)

So this Easter has special meaning for you, my friend. You have really done well. To me, that year seems to have gone by so fast. Probably not the case in your experience.

Have a glorious Easter, Challis, full of celebration and remembrance.

:smitten:

Flip

Hi Challis :hug:

Great to hear from you thank you for the update, I am so pleased everything is going so well for you. I can identify with you, I have just finished redecorating my home, outside and inside, i never thought i would ever be fit to climb a ladder again :laugh: I actually enjoyed it more, its strange how this journey affects us. We apreciate everything a lot more than before, I never enjoyed housework, now i am doing it and..... wait for it....singinghttp://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t267/Qoais/SingingSmiley.gif hubbys wearing earplugs :tickedoff:

I am so proud of you and well done at almost a year offhttp://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa351/margarita1959/an_zps50a56142.gif

Happy easter http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj178/MissConstrue_2008/Photos%202/Emoticans/Smileys/easter_bunny042.gif

Mags

Hi Challis,

Congratulations on one year benzo free  :thumbsup:

Great to hear how you're doing, I was wondering how you were getting on.

Thanks so much for the update, it sounds like you've been a very busy bee !

Wishing you continued healing and many more happy days !

Happy Easter,

Debbie  :smitten:

Hello Challis,

It's so wonderful to hear from you.  You were my greatest source of inspiration when I first joined a year ago.  It's great to hear that you've recovered so well.  Happy Easter!

Love, Megan

:smitten:

Dear Challis,

I am so glad to get news from you. You were one of the first to welcome me to the forum. Your kindness got me through the first months of a very difficult taper. I want to thank you for the time you spent encouraging me...it made me feel I could do it. I am just days away from my last teensy dose and you are part of my success.

I am so happy you feel well. It makes my day! Thank you for posting an update.

With deep gratitude,

Carita

Hi ya Challis,

I'm so happy to hear you are doing well and keeping so busy these days.  Isn't it amazing how enjoyable everything is when you feel good. 

I won't go as far as Mags and say I enjoy cleaning but I do sing a lot as well.

Thanks for dropping by.

PG  :smitten:

Challis

Your sense of humour really helped to lighten my load.

I still use your group hug emoticon once in a while and think of you everytime.

We were quite a group then.

So glad that you are doing so well.

I am coming along the healing path also.

Still got a ways to go but I believe that I will get there.

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo29/pigletmph/zadiffgrouphug.gif

Love Carol

There are tears in my eyes from your lovely responses!!  (I typed 'ears in my eyes' at first...what a visual that is!!)  Miss you all and delighted to know I had a little impact during my time here. 

Charlie and I have talked about what a unique experience our time on BB was...the awful w/d mixed with amazing bonding time when all our energy was totally poured into getting through it with virtual strangers who become our temporary families.

Muah to you and continued wellness to all...

Challis

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo29/pigletmph/zadiffgrouphug.gif

Thank you for making it easy to borrow it back, Carol...  :highfive:

So glad to hear you're doing so well. I couldn't have gotten through those first months last year without you by my "virtual" side. You continue to be an inspiration to all of us.

In another week I'll be one year benzo-free after 31 years of uninterrupted prescription benzo use.

I spent a year nearly couch bound during w/d and early recovery.  BenzoBuddies was my lifeline and I spent all my time here learning, being supported and trying to support other people. 

The miserable physical symptoms went away within about six months after I jumped.  Getting back my former physical strength, energy and enthusiasm has taken longer.  As the physical symptoms of w/d lessened I was still physically weak and mentally not finding it easy to reconnect with the outside world. 

Blah, blah, blah...skip to now:

Some things I did this week:

Put three coats of paint on all the woodwork in the bathroom, transom window and french doors.  (this was HUGE...)

Sanded the bathroom floor.

Hung plants and hardware on the porch.

Painted some jugs.

Went out of town to a friend's cabin overnight to help repair plumbing.

Dyed eggs with the kids.

Shopped for Easter basket stuff and brunch for the family.

Repaired a vase.

Bought some ferns from Home Depot and black paint for the fence.

Painted the fence for a few hours.

Made three kinds of cookies (the roll out and make shapes kind) and cheesecake. 

Pushing could bring on a little setback of symptoms for a few days or a week but I expect total healing, probably within another year.

I will always be grateful for all the wonderful people on the team who volunteer so much of their time.  Thank you...without this forum I would have had no idea what was going on throughout this long and frightening process. 

Hugs,

Challis  :highfive:

I echo, Flip! ahmazing!

I remember your funny quips and especially your hugs like Carol displayed, and I still have a bunny with a pancake on its head on my pictures....lololol.....You always had fun stuff, Are you like that in person, so funny and random? I missed your peeking in so much when you took a break. Even your flower avitar is comforting.

Happy one year. I love this story of 31 years of use, and you are getting yourself back. I think the newbies don't know what to expect, and those in the middle question recovery. Thank you for coming back and posting this. This is how people know, this is the information they are looking for.

so happy rabbit with a pancake to you, Challis...so great to see you posting around.

Love,

Sarah~

Haha

I remember the rabbit wih the pancake on it's head.

Sarah you should try to post it.

Use the photobucket app:)

Carol