Xanax rapid detox (ct) concerns

[Ga...]

Hi Tina,

Thank you kindly for the reassurance. You're right, there's a very broad spectrum for recovery time. And hearing about someone's extremely long healing process doesn't mean that the same will hold true for myself. I think the fear of protracted symptoms is shared by most of the forum. It seems only natural, especially considering many of us are in a very excitable state. When we know of a worst case scenario, our minds gravitate towards that. It's good to hear about both instances you mentioned; one person recovered pretty quickly, and the other took a long time, but fortunately is still experiencing healing.

And yes, the grass is greener. For awhile there I considered reinstatement to stabilize and taper. Considering my symptoms aren't horrible, the main reason I'd do it was to shorten the recovery time and ensure complete healing. I'm thinking that at 2 months out, it doesn't make a lot of sense. The risk/reward probably isn't worth it.

Wow, if your symptoms are tolerable at 2 months out, don't reinstate!  Sounds like you're doing great to me. 

Reinstatement is not likely to shorten anything--usually makes the whole thing longer.  And it won't make for more complete healing, either, not that I've ever seen.  You'll heal completely, eventually, regardless. 

Pretty much the only reason to reinstate that I think is justified is if you're suffering intensely.  Even then, at 2 months out off a short-acting benzo like Xanax, reinstatement is a  crapshoot.

Yes, some people do get really long protracted withdrawal.  It seems to be more likely in people who:  had complex psych med histories (multiple meds over years, many changes in meds, past histories of CTs, etc.); were on meds for a really long time (especially multiple meds); and/or were started on meds young (before 20).

But even people who have protracted w/d do get better eventually.  It just takes longer.

Sure doesn't sound to me like you're high likelihood for prolonged problems. 

"I shared your concerns for quite a while. I have spent a lot of time reading stories and researching information about benzos over the last 26, going on 27, months that I have been in benzo w/d. Ashton did a supplement to the Ashton Manual and she released it last April 2011. From what I understood...yes there could be some permanent brain damage left over, but you have to put that into perspective. She is not saying you are gonna be brain dead. At the very worst one may have a few barely noticeable symptoms that fade into the background as times goes on. The brain is very resiliant and it does make new connections and adapts to make up for any defiencies it may encounter. I think people get hung up on the words "brain damage" as they picture a mental patient after a labotomy. Not the case here. "

I think this is a really, really good point.

The worst case of benzo w/d and prolonged damaage I have read about, she feels like she's about 80% of what she was before she ever took benzos.  That's the worst case. 

Stuff happens in life, you know? Aging changes our brains.  Falling off a ladder changes our brains.  The wear and tear of normal life changes our brains.  We heal, we adapt, we cope--and we thrive.

And most of the people who read this, who visit this forum--MOST people will recover 100%.  I've seen it happen over and over. 

(Except that maybe they will be extra sensitive to benzos and psych meds in the future and need to be careful about them. Not a bad idea for anyone.)

Gator,

I did c/t off xanax xr and regular xanax and it was ROUGH to say the least but I am now 7 months out and am living an active, happy, full life!  Don't believe everything you read...