Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Thanks, Aweigh and LaserJet.  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:  I have never experienced so much pain and misery for so long in my entire life.  :sick: :'(  I'm so sick 24/7 that I can't function.  :'(  Before I could function enough to at least do small errands close to home....now just moving from room to room I feel the horrible nausea, etc, etc.  I hope things turn the corner soon.....I don't know how much longer I can take this. :'( :'( :( :( :(

Thanks, Aweigh and LaserJet.  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:  I have never experienced so much pain and misery for so long in my entire life.  :sick: :'(  I'm so sick 24/7 that I can't function.  :'(  Before I could function enough to at least do small errands close to home....now just moving from room to room I feel the horrible nausea, etc, etc.  I hope things turn the corner soon.....I don't know how much longer I can take this. :'( :'( :( :( :(

Hi Bru,

I sure hope u start feeling better soon.

My mom crossed over to valium, but when she was on 6mg v, she could at least do things and go places sometimes.

Now, at 1.40mg v, she can barely go to the bathroom and comes back hyperventilating even on oxygen.

They say that things get better once we get much lower.

Sophia,

You have not been on long?  It doesn't necessarily have to be horrible, it just depends on the person.  Some people can get off relatively easily.

I would not go back on Klonopin, I was on that drug as well and it is a real bear.  I think you are better off with ativan.  Just take it one step at a time and try to reduce by amounts small enough so as not to cause the body shock.  I think the biggest problem people have is dropping too much at once, and then the body goes into a sort of shock that makes everything very difficult.  The trick is to go down gradually at a level your body can tolerate.

Oooh, brunette ..:(

Thinking of you, and your suffering .. I am so very saddened, as I know how you feel, and also being alone ..:(

But there are many people here that care about your circumstances .. Just keep posting questions.

Hopefully considering going back to the dose you were stable on, as is aweigh's suggestion, will help you stabilize, and resume a slower taper.

Thinking of you Brunette ..Hang in there :smitten:

Love, Anu

Sophia,

You have not been on long?  It doesn't necessarily have to be horrible, it just depends on the person.  Some people can get off relatively easily.

I would not go back on Klonopin, I was on that drug as well and it is a real bear.  I think you are better off with ativan.  Just take it one step at a time and try to reduce by amounts small enough so as not to cause the body shock.  I think the biggest problem people have is dropping too much at once, and then the body goes into a sort of shock that makes everything very difficult.  The trick is to go down gradually at a level your body can tolerate.

I was on xanax and did a c/t back in August. About three weeks ago, my Dr reinstated me to Klonopin. I hated it. So, he has now put me on Ativan. I am not crazy about it either, but I guess it is the lesser of the three evils. My Dr refuses to let me cross over to valium.

Thanks for the tips on reducing. I should have my supplies in a week or two.

Denise  :smitten:

Marin,

Congratulations on reaching 0.375 mg, especially considering the high dose you were on. Looks like you have been successfully marching forward and hopefully your wd sxs are easing up at these lower doses.  :smitten:

Hi all,

Had to call psych dr. office today to get script refilled.  Mentioned to nurse how much worse my w/d x/s have gotten in the last 4 days......and she continually kept telling me that I must have something else going on b/c I shouldn't be having w/ds on such a low dose...........on the other side of the fence, I have had extensive medical testing which has not turned up anything significant......WTH? !! :tickedoff:!  Anyone else caught in between like this?.....psych wants to blame it on a physical problem......medical drs. want to blame it on benzos .........what is it with psych professionals insisting that benzos shouldn't cause horrific w/ds at low doses?........am I doing something wrong?........ :sick::( :'(

Congratulations Maririn ! You did really well coming off such a high dose .  :thumbsup: I started tapering by 0.0312 four times a day every 10 days now . There was a time I thought I would never get this far . Still have my ups and downs, agitation and depression . Hang in there everybody . Slow and steady . MM

Hi Mountainman:

Looks like your getting close to wrapping things up. What dose are you planning to jump from? Depending how the rest of this month goes, I am looking at jumping from either 0.03mg or 0.015mg; still doing cuts every 7 days, but in this final stretch I will drop my weekly cuts from 0.03mg to 0.025mg or less.  :)

Okay, since being fairly new to Ativan, I was hoping that someone could answer some questions for me.

Since starting a week ago, I have noticed my appetite isn't as good, some trouble swallowing food at times, and bubble like vision issues.

Has anybody else had this?

Denise  :smitten:

Hi Brunet,

The psych dr probably doesn't want to take responsibility for causing drug addictions.

Your suffering is very acute and my mom went thru this when she first tapered off of lorazepam.

It took 3 months off before her symptoms reduced to a manageable level.

You are doing a gradual taper, so you may start seeing improvements soon.

I hope u get some improvement soon.

Do u still have breathing problems?

I came back and dug out this old thread to let anybody who's interested know: Tapering off Ativan is possible. I'm still off, and the longer I've been away from that stuff the better I'm feeling.  :thumbsup:

You can do it, too!

Hi mrtmeo,

Thanks for responding.  :smitten:  I feel so horrible that I have difficulty functioning.  I had to go for bloodwork today and it was very difficult to get through.......the breathing difficulty comes and goes...........but the crushing muscle weakness/exhaustion is constant.  If I lie down it eases up.....but as soon as I get up and move around, I feel as though I ran a marathon and my muscles are weak right down to the bone and feel like if I take another step, I'll just fall over and pass out from lack of energy.....terrible acid reflux...... since last Thurs, I've also had nausea that gets worse when I move around....took some pepto bismol which eased the nausea.....and a myriad of other random strange w/ds.  The one w/d x/s most disturbing is the muscle weakness/exhaustion...it hurts just to try to walk around......I was always active and it frustrates me that I have been sidelined.  I'm so sick all the time that sometimes I think maybe I do have a physical problem that the drs. are missing.  My sleeping pattern is messed up and lately, my time table is off.......it will feel like 8 hours have gone by and I'll look at the clock and only 1 hour went by.  I'm also experiencing depression b/c of feeling so horrible.  :sick: :sick: :'( :'( :'( :( :( :(

Hi

I am new here.Not sure how to begin ..but ,would like to know the best way to get off ativan and how to get off diazapam/valium.Would love to chat on this thread daily with anyone..

Hi Laserjet , I am at 0.0312 4 times a day . I'll cut down to 3 times a day. Then 2 times a day . Last 1 times day for ten days . I'll jump at 0.0312 about January 9 2014. So far not too bad knock wood . MM

Hi, Mountainman: You might have fewer symptoms if you keep reducing your doses evenly, as you have been doing, rather than go to 1X/day dosing by steps.

Aweigh

Hi All,

Anyone else having nausea?.....just wondering how long it lasted and what it felt like.  I have had nausea during my taper but it only lasted a day or two here and there.....but in the last 7 days, I have had nausea every day......it doesn't really feel like I'm going to vomit......I feel really sick and green.....  With it being cold and flu season now, I don't know if it's a w/d x/s ....or if I have some kind of virus.  Going to dr. appt. today....but wondering what kind of experience everyone else has had with nausea.

Thanks. :smitten:

Hi All,

Anyone else having nausea?.....just wondering how long it lasted and what it felt like.  I have had nausea during my taper but it only lasted a day or two here and there.....but in the last 7 days, I have had nausea every day......it doesn't really feel like I'm going to vomit......I feel really sick and green.....  With it being cold and flu season now, I don't know if it's a w/d x/s ....or if I have some kind of virus.  Going to dr. appt. today....but wondering what kind of experience everyone else has had with nausea.

Thanks. :smitten:

I brunet,

I kept my mom's vitamin D levels into the optimum range of 60-80ng/mL during both her tapers and withdrawals, so she never got a cold or flu.

With her breathing problems, nausea would choke her, so I couldn't risk it.

However, nausea is a common symptom and we never know which benzo receptors get messed up in this process.

If u want to ask your dr for a D test it is a 25 hydroxy D test.

Hi mrtmeo,

A few years ago, I was Vitamin D deficient (14.1 ng/ml) and was put on a 50,000 iu Vitamin D tablet once a week along with Vitamin D3 2000 iu every day.  After 6 months, my level went up to 43 ng/ml...my dr. said normal range should be 30 to 100 ng/ml.  Anyway, every since, I have continued with the Vitamin D3 2000 iu every day.........so I haven't bothered to get my level checked lately.  My nausea is not in my stomach but above the stomach in the upper abdomen.  Had dr. appt. today....dr. doesn't think the nausea is related to Lorazepam w/d or virus.........thinks it may be related to my history of acid reflux, gastritis, hiatal hernia problems ...or possibly gallbladder b/c I've been having worsened acid reflux and tenderness in upper abdomen and under right rib.  Although, I do wonder if perhaps the Lorazepam taper is irritating those already existing issues.  I've also been getting low grade fevers off and on throughout my taper.  It's really frustrating that every time a new or changing x/s occurs, you don't know if it's related to the benzo taper....or if it's some other medical issue.....ugh.  :sick: :'( :(

Thanks. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi mrtmeo,

A few years ago, I was Vitamin D deficient (14.1 ng/ml) and was put on a 50,000 iu Vitamin D tablet once a week along with Vitamin D3 2000 iu every day.  After 6 months, my level went up to 43 ng/ml...my dr. said normal range should be 30 to 100 ng/ml.  Anyway, every since, I have continued with the Vitamin D3 2000 iu every day.........so I haven't bothered to get my level checked lately.  My nausea is not in my stomach but above the stomach in the upper abdomen.  Had dr. appt. today....dr. doesn't think the nausea is related to Lorazepam w/d or virus.........thinks it may be related to my history of acid reflux, gastritis, hiatal hernia problems ...or possibly gallbladder b/c I've been having worsened acid reflux and tenderness in upper abdomen and under right rib.  Although, I do wonder if perhaps the Lorazepam taper is irritating those already existing issues.  I've also been getting low grade fevers off and on throughout my taper.  It's really frustrating that every time a new or changing x/s occurs, you don't know if it's related to the benzo taper....or if it's some other medical issue.....ugh.  :sick: :'( :(

Thanks. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi brunet,

your D levels could be low if u r only on 2,000 iu's per day (in the winter and not tanning) and are over 100lbs.

Have u tried eating lowcarb to see if your stomach issues go away?

I totally understand about symptoms whether from benzo's or not being difficult to deal with medically.

I have read of several people getting surgeries due to their pain, only to have the pain again after surgery.

Their pain goes away once they recover from benzo w/d's.

This is why it is so difficult to figure out if we really have a medical issue that needs attention or not.

Hi mrtmeo,

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get my dr. to check my Vitamin D again.....just to see where I'm at for sure. Healthier eating is probably something I should do.....I mostly eat chicken, red meat once in a while, vegetables/fruit, water.... and also sweets and diet soda (which I know I probably shouldn't).  Several years ago, when I was feeling better, I went to the gym 6 days a week and lost 35 lbs......but since being sick and tapering, I have gained it all back... :(.....and now, I'm too horribly sick and weak to even consider going to the gym.  It is definitely frustrating not knowing whether a new or worsening x/s is from tapering or from a medical issue......so it becomes a bit of a dilemma in knowing when to seek medical attention or not.  Since I've been feeling much worse in the last week but haven't made any changes in my dosage, I also wonder if all the Lorazepam that was built up in my body from the 2 yrs. that I took it finally caught up with my taper and now that my body doesn't have as much of the drug anymore, it's slamming me with worsened w/d x/s......don't know.....just so sick of being sick 24/7.  :sick:

Thanks.  :smitten: :smitten:

Hi mrtmeo,

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get my dr. to check my Vitamin D again.....just to see where I'm at for sure. Healthier eating is probably something I should do.....I mostly eat chicken, red meat once in a while, vegetables/fruit, water.... and also sweets and diet soda (which I know I probably shouldn't).  Several years ago, when I was feeling better, I went to the gym 6 days a week and lost 35 lbs......but since being sick and tapering, I have gained it all back... :(.....and now, I'm too horribly sick and weak to even consider going to the gym.  It is definitely frustrating not knowing whether a new or worsening x/s is from tapering or from a medical issue......so it becomes a bit of a dilemma in knowing when to seek medical attention or not.  Since I've been feeling much worse in the last week but haven't made any changes in my dosage, I also wonder if all the Lorazepam that was built up in my body from the 2 yrs. that I took it finally caught up with my taper and now that my body doesn't have as much of the drug anymore, it's slamming me with worsened w/d x/s......don't know.....just so sick of being sick 24/7.  :sick:

Thanks.  :smitten: :smitten:

mixing carbohydrates with protein or fat always gave me issues years ago due to gallstones.

Once I went lowcarb, all my problems went away.

Underlying gluten intolerance can be there without knowing it.

I sure hope u start feeling better soon.

My mom got really bad after her levels dropped completely and the acute w/d lasted about 3 months.

First 2 months were the worst.

Hi mrtmeo,

Changing my diet is something I need to be more vigilant about......most of my life, I could eat whatever I wanted and never had a problem...it wasn't until I got into my 40's (I'm now 48) that I started having horrible acid reflux and gaining weight.  I can't drink orange juice, or eat onions or peppers, or bacon...things like that...b/c it causes intense acid reflux.  I do believe that benzo tapering does irritate my G.I. issues to a point. 

Thank you so much :smitten:......I hope I start feeling better soon too........and it's so sweet that you take care of your mom the way you do :smitten:....I hope she is feeling better as well.  Savor every moment you have with your mom.....I lost my mom 2 yrs ago, and due to that, I started having anxiety/panic attacks, which is why my dr. prescribed Lorazepam......had I know it was going to do this to me, I would have looked for an alternative way to deal with those issues.