Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Stacey, welcome to BB.  As BDL said, you'll find a lot of support here.

And follow BDL's advice, he is king of the "low and slow" approach to tapering, which is what will keep you most functional, away from the nasty w/d symptoms (as much as is possible), and better when you finally stop this med.

Cedar posted a good tapering schedule way back in this thread somewhere.....let me see if I can find it for you and repost.  You may also want to check out the Ashton Manual and share it with your doc.  It gives great information on these meds, their effects, tapering methods and schedules, and some of the things you might expect.

Any questions, just ask.  We're here.

Hey BDL, glad to hear you are doing well.  Month 3 off has been horrible for me, but I think in part b/c I started continuous birth control.  My symptoms revv'd up (ugh), but I'm hoping they will settle down here soon.  Thinking that I'm probably going to be in the "those that recover within 6-12 month" club, so just taking one day at a time and trying to take care of myself!

Hello everyone:)  I am new here and need some help and advise.  I have been on Ativan/Lorazepam since June 2, 2012.  I was on .25mg 3 times a day.  I wanted off of this medication and so my doctor told me to decrease my dose by 1/4 pill every 3 to 4 days.  This is WAY too fast for my body.  My pills are .5mg.  I take .125mg at 9:30am, .25mg at 3:30pm, and .125mg at 9:30pm.  This is day 5 of my last dosage drop and I feel compleletly out of it and I cry all the time.  My body feels like its kind of numb to the touch or desensitized is a better word.  The heart palps have stopped....thank GOD!!  I don't know if I should continue to drop the dosage or go back up.  Should I titrate or get liquid Ativan.  Your comments and opinions are needed.  Please help I want my life back so badly.....Thank you!!

I don't know why Drs. always think we can get off this stuff so fast. I would suggest going as slow as your body can handle it.

Fixed schedules are find as targets but your own response has to be what determines your next cut.

You were at .75 mgs. andyou are now at .5 mgs. this drop over what time? you did not say.

I would suggest titrating and breaking it up into 4 doses through the day. I am no expert and I am having a hard enough time with my own taper so there are others on here that may have better advise.

Hang in there all your symptoms are typical with a benzo withdrawal, slowing it up will probably help.

Wow! it is quiet here.

I have been plugging along very slowly and have battling Asthma which set in after a cold I picked up.

Now I am forced to use my puffers and they have rev'd up all my SXS. it's a bitch

Hey all tied. Reading your signature it's seems that we are similar in that its hard for us to tolerate any kind of cut. I'm at .2mg as of yesterday but I know being lower doesn't make it easier.

Im trying to take what is roughly a 3.5% cut every Saturday. The worst of the symptom wave hits me at day four or five. Then I plateau , sort of. It's insane that my body even FEELS a cut that small. But it does. It really does. And it hates it. Guess this will be a kicking and screaming sort of ending. Sweet. Oh well. keep the faith benzo homies.

Love

BDL

Hello everyone:)  I am new here and need some help and advise.  I have been on Ativan/Lorazepam since June 2, 2012.  I was on .25mg 3 times a day.  I wanted off of this medication and so my doctor told me to decrease my dose by 1/4 pill every 3 to 4 days.  This is WAY too fast for my body.  My pills are .5mg.  I take .125mg at 9:30am, .25mg at 3:30pm, and .125mg at 9:30pm.  This is day 5 of my last dosage drop and I feel compleletly out of it and I cry all the time.  My body feels like its kind of numb to the touch or desensitized is a better word.  The heart palps have stopped....thank GOD!!  I don't know if I should continue to drop the dosage or go back up.  Should I titrate or get liquid Ativan.  Your comments and opinions are needed.  Please help I want my life back so badly.....Thank you!!

Hi, AngelaA808:

What you are feeling are probably withdrawal symptoms (sx) from reducing Ativan too fast. The first thing to do is get rid of the worst of the sx by getting stable. That may mean taking taking your Ativan regularly, stopping your cuts, or even taking more for a short time. A more experienced member will probably contact you with more info shortly. Meanwhile, you might post to the new members thread and also have a look at the Ashton Manual at:

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

Here's some info that might be useful:

Before you can begin a taper with any chance of success, you have to be stable in your dosing and your symptoms (sx).

Stable in your dosing means you take the same amount every day, and you take that amount at even time intervals; every 4,8 or whatever hours. Your daily dose should be enough to keep you from being sick or crazy, but not so much that you are over-sedated. If your doses have been “all over the place”, it may take a while for you to find the daily dose that keeps you from having severe sx. Be persistent. Once you find your daily dose, divide it into 2-4 equal doses, depending on the drug. Everybody is different, but Valium and Klonopin are often taken 1-2 X day, Ativan and Xanax 3-4 X day. Examples: 2 X day = 24 hours/2 = once every 12 hours. 4 X day = 24 hours/4 = once every 6 hours. Remember, there is a lag period between when you change the daily dose and when you feel the effect of that change. It varies with the person and the drug, but is typically 1-4 days.

Once you’ve been taking your correct daily dose at equally-spaced times for several days, your sx should normalize. If they don’t, either the dose is off (better to take a little too much than not enough) or you need to change your dosing interval. Or both!

It is impossible to be stable and have tolerable, predictable sx if you take your benzo irregularly, whenever you “feel like it”. Once you’re stable and have minimal sx, you can think about planning a gradual reduction. Remember, it’s not the benzo that’s making you sick (in the short term), it’s the lack of regular benzo levels in your nervous system, which has grown used to it and can’t fuction normally without it. And don’t fall for any “quick fixes”, benzos aren’t like opiates. It’s not about detox, then rehab. It’s about tapering off very slowly.

Aweigh

Hi, BDL

You are right of course, I just dread the cuts but to be honest, I can take the cuts and the withdrawal feelings but what my body does is on top of the withdrawal symptoms, it sends other stuff just to complicate the process.

Any issue I have ever had in life, ex. IBS & Asthma the worst two. Keep coming up and they, along with the muscle pain, headaches, crawling skin, DP, high anxiety. Have made this ordeal almost unbarable for me. With IBS you have terrible pain and cant eat. With Asthma you have to take puffers because you cant breath and these puffers ramp up the levels of all the symptoms. I have even experienced 2 episodes of passing out from low BP.

It has been hell for me, I wish I had never got put on this stuff, nothing I was experiencing prior was as bad as this treatment!

You seem to be doing very well, I have read many of your threads and you have a great attitude towards this and you have got your self down to .22, that's amazing.

I think I am older and perhaps more war weary but I intend to battle this to its conclusion.

Take care

P.S. my signature had be shortened due to space. This is actually my second taper attempt. I started this crap in 2009/10 and have been tapering since 2011.

I came across a very helpful website yesterday and found it worked wonders for me.

I engages a self help tool that on the surface seems a bit silly but when I applied it, it truly helped.

I know everyone is different but you can listen to and apply the teaching for free.

Enough said, here is the link:  http://www.selftherapy.org/

Thanks for the link All Tied Up.  I was given a book many moons ago called "Peace from Nervous Suffering".    This cycle has been known for a long time.  The fear-adrenaline-fear cycle.  When I was 19 I went through a ghastly episode of panic attacks, in fact they are very common at that age.  That book helped me and I got over the panic attacks and was not medicated.

It wasn't until years later that I got put on ativan, but not for panic attacks.  I'm glad the video helped you.  If we can control our thoughts and response to panic, it really helps.

Very glad for you that you have gotten through the .7 barrier!

Hugs Mairin

I have also had Dr. Weekes books and tapes for many years and they helped me also. When I retired at 55 I experienced more severe anxiety and was already on Ativan. I am trying hard now to get off it.

I have read, listened to and practised probably every self help program out there but this series of audio programs available free at the Selftheropy.org site, for me anyway really worked. I downloaded the full series and I plan to continue with it.

I found when I dropped my Ativan dose I got stuck at .75 then again at .7 because the SXS get rev'd up at that point for me.

I hope I can continue to taper off.

What have you found that helped? 

I don't think whatever may be helping me at this point would be the same for you.  I am still high up in dose.  I have come down from 6 mgs K though.

One thing I think is really helping is L-Theanine.  Its so effective they are now giving it to people with panic attacks instead of Xanax.

Also eating lots of protein.  Might give L-Theanine a try, it seems to be safe from what I've read on here and non-revving.

When I was in my late teens and early twentis I was given K by my Doc. I used only as nedded and back then a bottle of 25 .5 mg pills would last me the better part of a year. Then one day my says no more pills, you have to learn to deal with these feelings naturally. I was mad but got by, then in my late 40's I go to see him with anxiety and he puts me on SSRI, I tried many after that but they all made me feel worse and I actually had my first real panic attack while on an SSRI. So I tlod him no more SSRI's, he said your on your own. Found a new Doc, who gave me Ativan.

In hind site my old Doc was right about learning to change to deal with anxiousfeelings but they never offered anything in the way of a program. He was wrong though to try to force me SSRI's. They avoided more these days I think by many Docs. No doubt there some people who need them but I was not one of them.

I know you are on 6 mgs. of K which is high but thats probably because your body got used to it and needed more to have the same effect.

I know you can do this, I have learned the anxiety you feel as your dose drops is much worse than what you felt going into this.

I used to say oh, these withdrawals are unbarable, but now I know I can take the edge off with programs like selftheropy, it makes it a bit easier and I needed that.

Good luck with your program and keep in touch.

No I'm not on 6 mgs K anymore.  I never needed more really, I had a bad doc that raised my dose last year.  I was on the 6 mg K for about six months before being switched back to ativan.

He switched me (new doc) from 6 K to 8 mg Ativan.  That was in April 2012.  Since then I have cut down to 4.5 A.

After the initial big drop, I stabelized after a few months, like maybe 4 months.  I was in bad shape from that drop though.  I'm doing much better now but still cutting and will be for a long time.

Mairin33,

Sorry I should have looked more carefully at your signature.

That original cross from K to A was really quite a jump down when you look at the equivalent strengths so I am sure it must have been tough to stabilize.

What rate are you cutting now?

From 8 mgs A I cut by .5 until I got to 6 mgs A.  Then the doctor stopped pressuring me to go down because (I think) 6 mgs A is the acceptable prescribing limit.  I held at 6 mgs A for about 6 weeks.  I think this helped me stabelize.

Since 6 mgs I've been cutting by .25 approx every two weeks.  I'm now down to 4.5 mgs as of a few days ago.  My body seems to be tolerating the small cuts well.  All the .25 cuts have been under 6% so far.  I've decided to keep cutting at the .25 rate as long as that goes well.  I will probably re-think that when the .25 cuts gets larger than 10% of my dose.  Then I might try cutting smaller than .25.  I might have to go to titration if cutting pills becomes unmanagable after a certain point.

I think cutting small percentages is key.  This is where I am now, and hoping for the best as I keep going down.

I was on 10 MG Ambien for insomnia for over a year. I had a panic attack in September 6, 2012 and went tho the ER. They gave me Ativan for two weeks, so I quit Ambien and and started the Ativan, 0.5, twice a day. I went to my regular doctor for a follow up and he gave me Xanax. I took that for 1 week or so, and decided to quit cold turkey on a trip to Vegas. The weekend from hell!! Withdrawals, panic attacks, anxiety, no sleep..etc

Is Ambien worse than the Ativan or Xanax? Could it  have taken over a month to start withdrawing from Ambien after substituting it with Ativan, then Xanax? I was only on Ativan for 2 weeks and Xanax a week or so. That first weekend that I went cold turkey was horrible.  I am firing my doctor, because he did not think I need to taper, he never told me the risks I had to endure.The last time I seen him and told him what I was going through, he told me, "I cant deal with you anymore, go see a psychiatrist!"

When I had some blood work done the next day, I called for an appointment to see him for the results, he was unavailable. I chose to see a Nurse practitioner. I told her what I was going through and she was appalled that my Doctor did not taper me off. She thinks the Ambien was the culprit of my suffering. She said she would help me taper off the withdrawals with Ativan 0.5 - 3 times a day. ( I been averaging splitting a pill during the day and now, 1 pill at night) I will see her this Friday, so she can see how I am doing.. I know it confusing..but I am confused as well!

Any advice? Thank you!!!

Topfan, I'm so glad you found a compassionate nurse practicioner. 

I don't know what caused your severe symtpoms, the Ambien or the benzos.  But they are both in the same class (I think).    Have very similar effects on the body I'm pretty sure.  Many of us here have wound up on these drugs, not ever suspecting how difficult they could make your life.  I'm sorry you are in this situation too.  Its very unfair to us as human beings.

Your doctor's reaction is probably a lot more common than it should be.  Seems if they can't fix the problem they sometimes become avoidant and hope you go away.

Just take it slow trying to get off.  Trying to get off fast can be counterproductive.  Since you are on a relatively small dose, you might want to look into titration, which entails dissolving your pills in water so you can make smaller cuts.  Smaller cuts will not shock your brain as much as larger cuts.  At low doses, it may be hard to make small enough cuts just by cutting pills.

Hugs to you. 

Hi Mairin!

Thank you for the response...I think after being on Ambien for all that time and then switching to the Benzos did it to me..I am getting better.. But last night, I did not sleep at all. I am trying to turn off my over active mind...that and my Anxiety contributes to my insomnia. I agree with you about Doctors, they make it so easy for us to get on this stuff. Impossible to get off...

I see you are on Zoloft? Is that hard to wean off as well?

I am reading a book, "A life at last" by Paul David..its easy to read and helping me...I know I have a road ahead of me, but I am hoping I can deal with this withdrawal and my Anxiety.

Thanks again for your support!  :thumbsup:

I too went through some drug switches.  I was dropped from a very high dose of benzo, and I went into a very confused withdrawal state.  But I did stabelize.

If you can get the nurse practitioner to allow you to stay on a stable dose of the Ativan for maybe a month or two, you will probably feel much better.  Then you could start cutting.  Its really better to start cutting from a stable place rather than a confused and unstable withdrawal state and right after you've switched medications.

I hope she will let you do this.

Hugs, Mairin

Is there anyone out there who is having a heck of a time tapering off this Ativan?

It like one step forward two steps back with me. I am at .69 mgs. and struggling every day with bad SXS. Not leveling out at all.

I am tempted to go up a bit and see if I can stablize. But I hate the thought of doing that.

It is getting hard to continue a normal life, the socializing, the being the normal guy all the time. I feel like I just want go to my room and never come out until this is over, know what I mean?

Now my pulse races and my BP is up. I hate this!

Is anyone else suffering like this?

Hey all tied up. Yes. One heck of a time.

This is not fun at all.

I updosed at about .375 because a bunch of cuts caught up with me and holding wasn't working fast enough. I did feel better but not much and it set my taper back several weeks, even months all told.

I believe I updosed mainly out of fear. I was afraid that I wouldn't stabilize. Who knows.

I did stabilize with a very small updose though. And I held for a month. But coming down since then has been a total grind.

Sometimes I wonder if I should just jump and take what comes. I want out of this mess.

Jut I know I won't do that because that would be really stupid.

Sorry of I'm no help. It's up to you. I say see if you can feel better with a tiny updose.

BDL. 

BDL,

Thanks, I took a small nibble of a .5 pill and now my pulse has gone back to normal.

I just find it hard to believe that a cut of .01 mgs. can make such a difference. I am in a bad way if I can't manage a small cut like that.

I was doing fine until I got a bad cold and my asthma started up. I had to take my puffers and that's what did it.

My heart rate started acting up and my BP went up etc.

Now I have to figure out where I will be stable and continue.

Glad to see you are doing fairly well. Are you still able to fubction normal in the world or do you find yourself hiding away?

It sometimes is a challenge to function in the world especially when I'm in the 2 or 3 days after a cut hits. But I find that if I am at all able, it almost always helps to proceed with things as though I'm not sick. Sitting still and marinating in the misery can be the worst thing sometimes.

I am barely tolerating cuts of .008 mg right now so I know how you feel. But any cut gets you closer.

That seems to be about the same as me. There are a few days after a cut where I am no good to anyone.

I always tell my wife when those days are here but she makes plans for me/us and doesn't discuss it with me. Then I go out and struggle to appear normal but it is frustrating.

I think I am going to try a bit smaller cut next time.

Thanks for sharing BDL.

Thought I'd repast this again in hopes it will help someone out there...........

I just saw this thread and decided I'd share my Ativan taper experience.  I had been on and off benzo's over 13 years and came to tolerance withdrawal.  My doctor for whatever reason thought I should use Ativan to taper. If I'd known how hard this was going be I'd have opted for a longer acting benzo like Valium.  But if others are in the same boat and decide to taper Ativan, here are some suggestions. 

1. If you can take doses 4 times a day (rather than 2 or 3) it's better, as to avoid interdose withdrawals.

2. I suggest taking your largest dose at bedtime for sleep.

3. A Compounding Pharmacy can be your best friend.  Every city has a compounding pharmacy, so just ask your doctor about where the nearest one is, or google your city name and compounding pharmacy.

4. Spread your doses out evenly.  For instance 7 a.m.  12 p.m.  5 p.m. and 10 p.m.  (OR)  7 a.m. 1 p.m.  6 p.m. and 11 p.m.  This is important so as to avoid interdose withdrawals.

Note: if you choose to taper Ativan you'll have to watch the clock closely everyday to make sure you take your dose on time.

5. Get a calendar and map out your taper plan.  This was so helpful to me to know how much to take at what time of day. Otherwise it's too easy to forget what it was that you are doing.  There's enough pain and confusion with withdrawal anyhow.

Here's what a "possible" Ativan taper can look like.  You may choose to slow it down or speed it up depending on what your symptoms are.  Many people find that the lower you get on the doses the harder it is, so make it slower as you get to those low doses.  Try to make the cuts every 10-14 days for the best results:

Possible Ativan taper:

.50          .50        .50        .50                  Total:  2 mgs

.25          .50        .50        .50                  Total:  1.75

.25          .25          .50        .50                  Total:  1.50

.25          .25          .25        .50                  Total:  1.25

.25          .125        .25        .50                  Total:  1.125

.25          .125        .125      .50                  Total:  1

.25          .125        .125      .375                Total:  .875

.25          .125        .125      .25                  Total:  .75

.125        .125        .125      .25                  Total:  .625

.125        .125        .125      .125                Total:  .50

.125        .0625      .125      .125                Total:  .4375

.125        .0625      .0625    .125                Total:  .375

.0625      .0625      .0625    .125                Total:    .3125

.0625      .0625      .0625    .0625              Total:    .25

.0625      .0312      .0625    .0625              Total:    .2187

.0625      .0312      .0312    .0625              Total:    .1874

.0312      .0312      .0312    .0625              Total:    .1561

.0312      .0312      .0312    .0312              Total:    .1248

.0312      .0312    .0312            Total:    .0936

.0312    .0312            Total:    .0625

.0312            Total:    .0312

Off!

Hope this helps someone out there!

Don't lose hope you can recover from this.  I have!

Cedar