• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [va...]

• [Wh...]

• [st...]

• [ve...]

I am now 23 Mths and 1 week off , and I am very discourged , I know I got worst in some ways, I have had a few things leave I noticed in the past Mth , the anxiety I hardly have anymore, inner vibs hardly anymore, but what I still do have that I dont get any relief from now is constant pain in my hands , fingers , I use to write Mths ago abt my fingers feeling broken , but it wasnt this painful as it is now, I never had pains in my hands and wrist as I do know, I cant feel texture anywhere on my entire body , I feel like my skin is covered with latex , but I can feel texture anywhere else but my body, its really scarey , it worries me alot. My upper mid back section feels like the bones are digging in me, so tight, I struggle putting my hands above my head cause the muscles are so painful around my shoulders and shoulder blades area, and when I do I get burning around there , its like a muscle burning , My left leg upper part sdame thing as my back, the muscle is so tight , and so painful whenI lift it, my left foot is also painful walking on , feels like crushed bone. I still get burning nd stinging, the burning a deep deep burning , like muscl;e burning , the stinging is extremly sharp stinging extremly painful, I still have the stimulation , from every time I scratch or anything it triggers stinging /burning. I seen every Dr and had every test. I wonder if I have permanent damage from this, alot of the muscle and bone pain started to get this intense after I went into that Hot tub , I went downhill from there. The spasms were so bad it feels like my muscles are locked this way for good, I get no  relief from it. The burning and stinging I do get relief except the stimulation part. Also I want to mention another scarey symptom that has beeen recent is my face , it so stiff , that I cant even barely spit toothpaste out of my mouth, at times I struggle pronouncing words its so tight, and painful all the muscles are pushing outward of my cheeks on both sides , anyone have that? Does this ever end? I use to have great windows and fel;t 80% to 90% great , but now I dont get the windows other then a break from the burning/stinging , I worry I will be this way forever.... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

hi helpme123, i dont know if this will ease your fear but i'm at 31 months and am being pounded with stuff but i will stick to what pertains to you. i too have the bad bone and muscle pain the left side of my lip feels stiff like yours and my neck and shoulders have hurt like hell for 2 years my fingers hurt too with that broken jammed feeling my heels hurt when i get up after sitting for a while same with my right hip.the list goes on but i'll stop here.

billy3

Sorry Hun ((((hugs))))) thanks for reassurance, I worry about this stinging is what's causing slot of the symptoms,it's really effecting the bone and muscle stuff, the muscles sheath around the nerves or visa versa, the stinging feels like someone is saudering right through the bones. Thanks again sweetie.

Love Laura

33 months off! It does get better, but it's hard...let me take that back...it's very hard to notice a difference from one day to the next. All I know is that being able to play basketball again is a huge sign of progess for me and a huge relief!

Lingering symptoms include:

1. IBS

2. Some dizziness

3.  Irritation and anxiety, but a lot less severe

On MOST days I feel 85% to 90% healed.  Note: I'm reporting this on an "average" day.

Ed

I'm 36 months off now and still dealing with nerve, bone and muscle issues. I have been DXed with severe osteoarthritis so I don't know what is that, and what should go away because it is WD. I still get bouts of severe shooting and stabbing pain. I still have trouble with sensations in my fingers. and lately my face, the cranial nerves. that started when I kept thinking fuzz was on my nose and lips. I kept trying to pull it off but eventually realized it was tingling nerves. the stress of not being able to work now and company that keeps coming to my house and often staying and the DX of cribbling arthritis is too much for me. I can't handle stress anymore. and the herbs and suppliments I stopped taking when I hit acute WD? I have to push through it now and take these things that have been making me so sick the past few years, I have to slow down or stop and even turn back the damage done by the arthritis. and of course, I blame benzos for all of this crap. and I look funny. I have braces all over my body and crutches. I try to get up and walk but my body dose not follow this thought. I'm frustrated.

yesterday, after three years I returned to the gym. the same room I have been going to for 15  years. four walls of mirrors. the last time  I was there I was in a choriography hip hop dance class and about 60 pound lighter. before WD, some days, in the mirror I was doing yoga, some days I was doing tia-chi and some days, in the mirror I was doing step aerobics. yesterday. in the same room, in the same mirror, I was in a senior arthritis class trying to keep up with 90 year olds. and the reflection was discouraging. my muscles are gone and I am blubbery, big and round and can't move very well. oh hell. someone wake me up. this is probably the biggest mistake in my life.

Hi Garuda.

That must be a wrenching. I, like you, are bewildered as what has

become of me. Although I have chronic pain issues it is my head which

is causing me much grief. I will do anything to avoid prolonged contact

with people & when I do I am a 'basket-case' post contact. I must

come across as rude, or at least disinterested. And to my doctors, and

some friends, I seem a bit disturbed. Or complicated as someone

recently put it. I bite my tongue!!

I cannot fathom your physical deterioration & the everyday struggle

that this must entail. I can only offer my thoughts & experience of

difficulty in overcoming benzo related illness. I just have my fingers

crossed than we will all return to some better time.

Pete

Pete, thanks for the reply. I am so so depressing that people here usually don't respond to me. but that is what this benzo hell has done to me. really. I went to the osteopath today and he siad that I can have a partial knee replacement whenever I am ready to do it. he said that I will be able to walk again and that I will get my life back. my mood went back up.  I just need to wait until I can handle major surgery. maybe 6 months, maybe one year from now. I need to heal more from the WD. I'm seeing some light at the end of the tunnel again. I went to the spa yesterday to empty my locker. I didn't have the combination so I left my stuff there. so many hugs from my co-workers wanting me to come back. I did a couple massages in  my own practice today. just that the arthritis is too much and I have to sit.  but I enjoy what I do just I will need to retrain in something. my fingers hurt too much. I'm dealing well with the suppliments. I could not say that a year ago. not even six months ago.

Hi Garuda.

Think it wise to wait until having major surgery. I recently had a back

procedure & still, 5 weeks later, feeling disturbed in the head. Unsure whether

I was given some benzos. I am beyond speculation. What I do know is that I need

to be protective of my sensitised state. I have limited capacity for life contact &

everyday activities. Like many of us. Anyway, I come from a spa town in Australia

(Hepburn Springs) & many of my friends are masseurs. I am disappointed for you

that it has become so difficult to undertake your employment. It is such vital work.

Hoping you can find some reasonable time within yourself soonish.

Pete

From my experience many people are automatically given a benzo, usually ativan, before they are wheeled into surgery.

For some reason the drs. believe you need this to be taken down a hall and put under. To be fair, some people do need something to calm them down before surgery but I'm not one of those people. When doing pre-op I tell them I don't want any type of benzo, most of the time I tell them I am allergic to them.  You should always ask what drugs you will be given from start to finish, you have a right to know what drugs you are being treated with.

benzos are given to people for they forget the surgery. at my worst in acute WD, my GF had foot surgery and was giggling that she can't remember much at all and thanked god for benzos. my husband had oral surgery and I had to wheel him out to the car. he does not remember that. I had a dark cloud cover me with the thought that I just lost 20 years of my life. I was not giggling about that and I hate benzos. now....faced with sugery myself, I will probably have to have some. but that is okay. I have a more balanced view now.

I am feeling better Ruth! FINALLY!  I'm in my 20th month and this past month was a big month or milestone of healing for me.

I still do really poorly the week before my menstrual cycle...stop sleeping, more anxiety that normal, but I had 3 glorious weeks before that where I felt 100% healed.

I still have a sensitive CNS..."normal" stress feels like "MAJOR" stress..but I'm learning to cope w/it as it comes.

I'm also FINALLY losing weight..last time I checked I was down 9 lbs....I wanted to lose 15-20 so I'm pretty excited about that...I credit it to the healing, because I tried many many times in the last 2 years to lose weight and NOTHING worked..now all of a sudden it's coming off...I think it's healing indeed!

Sunny - So happy to hear this wonderful news.  You sound sooooo healthy and happy.  yes stress is the thing we all have to watch out for....it can send me into horrible waves....our CNS stays sensitive for a long time, I am sure.

Thanks for coming back and giving us all some hope.....congratulations!

Love Hoping

When doing pre-op I tell them I don't want any type of benzo, most of the time I tell them I am allergic to them.  You should always ask what drugs you will be given from start to finish, you have a right to know what drugs you are being treated with.

So true Tropical. I had my first colonoscopy a couple months ago.  I made sure to let the doctor and anesthesiologist know that I AM ALLERGIC TO ALL BENZODIAZAPENES and no pre sedatives are needed.  I wrote it on the forms and told both doctors both in initial meeting and prior to the procedure.  Also, I had Propofol, since I'd heard that VERSED may impact the GABA receptors.  Test went well. We have to advocate for ourselves to be sure not to be given benzos inadvertently.  I've also read and heard of many cases where they give out Ativan like candy in the ER and when you are sometimes hospitalized for some routine procedure.  We need to be careful moving forward.

Vertigo

[f5...]

hey Vertigo

Just thought I would give you an update just received a letter saying that I was obsessed about the damage benzos cause and he said this an over valued belief system and that despite the last dose being so low it took almost ten days to come off.  totally does not believe in withdrawal at all.  Makes me feel that this is all in my head.  maybe it is ocd.

What are you thoughts on this and so sorry to see you will be moving on your support has been so important to so many.

Lizzy

Hi Lizzy.

Not wanting to jump in on your discussion to Vertigo but

the letter you received is absolutely outrageous. In my mind,

I see any 'obsession' as a healthy resilience to what is a contemptible

disregard by the medical profession for the damage caused by

the drugs which they administered. I cannot believe that our society

allows medical professionals to distribute such harmful products onto

trusting & well intentioned public under the guise of health. To make

matters worse, the victims of this abuse, us in benzo withdrawal, are

then marginalised as alarmist & malingering shirks.

To not believe in withdrawal is an insult to the difficult journey we

are all undertaking here. Such contempt for our real experiences

is just further evidence of the systemic arrogance & humanistic betrayal

that is the medical & pharmaceutical world. In most other societal scenarios,

what has occurred to us would be illegal. Don't speculate on OCD or anything

other. Only time will reveal. Right now, you like me, are in the torment

of withdrawal. I believe in you, and in your story, because if I don't then

what does it say of my own struggle & others participating on this courageous

forum. 

We will come out the other side.

And won't that be a remarkable thing.

Pete

[f5...]

hey Pete

your in australia as well right so am I.  So you know what im dealing with noone believes me oh except you guys so I just dont care what they say anymore I really am sick of trying to prove it to him.  When i was c/t within 2 weeks of each other 4mg of xanax I had to go to hospital funny never other than childbirth had I ever been to hospital and I literally cried straight for weeks there and one of the nurses told me when I said the drugs were doing this said to me oh talking to you is like talking to a brick wall.  They just kept giving me an antidepressant and i was screaming in my head it was dreadful I cant believe I survived the experience.  Its been a long hard haul Ill tell you.  by the way other than anxiety and a panic disorder (caused by a reaction to an ssri)  i have never ever had any mental health issues.  So you tell me why all of a sudden taking this crap did I end up in hospital oh and its not the drugs.  Its an absolute joke.

thanks so much for believing in me.  By the way I tried to reinstate the second time but I never ever stablised.

How r u doing with all this.

Lizzy

Hi Lizzy. I don't know why it's the case but even four years after my own reinstatement (withthe help of two benzo wise doctors in my town),there appears to be a very large amount of misinformation still propagated throughout  the world about benzodiazapene withdrawal. It amazes me quite frankly how misinformed so many doctors appear to still be.

It sometimes feels like there might be a misinformation campaign led by Big Pharma to direct psychiatrists to replace benzodiazapenes with SSRI or other Antidepressant type medications rather than acknowledging the true inherent dangers of anything beyond very short term use of benzodiazapenes. I don't believe one can fix or successfully treat benzodiazapene withdrawal by adding a bunch of antidepressants or other medications!!!  OCD and hypochondria can be part of common withdrawal reactions to rapid benzodiazapene withdrawal as you have just done, Lizzy.

And this is an important point: taking the benzodiazapene for as little as a few weeks to a couple months is long enough to develop a dependency.

A second misnomer appears to be that so called shorter acting benzodiazapenes such as lorazapam are significantly "safer and even less addictive" than "mother'slittle helper" valium, which is perceived to bethe big bad villain by many doctors. Valium has over the years been replaced withthe "much safer and less addictive" little cousins Klonopin, Ativan and others.

Xanax in particular is a medication that can be quite dangerous. My mother was orphaned in childhood and became a refugee in another country. She likely had PTSD and was a very nervous parent when I was growing up. Doctors tried a variety of medications to "help" treat her anxiety, but probably one ofthe worst ones was xanax which although may have helped inthe first few months, it eventually caused extremely high rebound anxiety.The rebound anxiety and tolerance led to a cocktail of other medications that eventually resulted in several nervous breakdowns and sadly, an early death by stroke in her sixties.

This month will be 3 years since I first came to BenzoBuddies inthe middle of my valium taper in May, 2009. I think one ofthe reasons I continued to stay on and try to help othersthe last couple of years here was in part what happened to my mother, who never got to see me marry or have any grandchildren. I attribute a good part of this to her rollercoaster ride onbenzodiazapenes (which included Lorazepam and valium in addition to xanax and a bunch of other antidepressants).

You would think I would have learned and never taken valium but I really did not know that a couple weeks on a low dose of valium on an International trip could lead to such consequences. Anyway, I've gone on a tangent now.The point is thatbenzodiazapenes have a short term use, like in crisis situations or pre operations in hospital. Beyond that, long term use is rarely a good idea. I think some countries like Britain have begun to understandthe insidious nature ofthese powerful drugs.

Getting back to your point Lizzy, too many doctors seem to be misinformed about how long a process it can take to fully heal once offthe benzo. Too many doctors are too quick to blame the withdrawal on some inherent condition "ofthe patient" or to try and treat the withdrawal often times with multiple medications (as inthe case of my mother). Although in some severe cases, it might be warranted, it seems that there are quite a few patients who after adding several medicines after going off a benzo, end up with so many side effects that it becomes confusing what is withdrawal and what is happening as a result ofthe new medication(s).

One eventually becomes even more dependent onthe psychiatrist to help navigate throughthe murky waters. Unfortunately, it seems like a conflict of interest since their livelihood depends on keeping their patients hooked for a lifetime! I know this sounds a bit cynical and perhaps borders on the fringes of what may be permissable to be written on forum. If moderators feel the need to edit this post, so be it. I'm leaving forum in a couple weeks anyway, so I might as well get a few things said before I do.

Forums like this one are essential, since in some cases they arethe only place a patient can learn what might actually be going on with them with benzodizapenes. I got some very poor "medical advice" from two doctors before I found a benzoforum and began my quest for benzo wise doctors in my town. I had to advocate for myself quite strongly. I'm not saying that all doctors are evil villains who are out to trap their patients. I do believe there are some good ones out there, but one can't argue thatthe whole field of Psychiatry seems to be predicated on medicating patients and keepingthem on medicationsfor a long time.

It would be quite simple in many cases, to help a patient taper off a benzodiazapene, but if not prescribing other medications, what use would the psychiatrist be once the patient is healed? Where would be his source of income? Part of what seems to go on is to deny the issues with some ofthe medications as well as denying that the patient might be in benzo withdrawal. "It must be the patient's inherent anxiety disorder" or "It must be some mysterious new illness, perhaps OCD that has to now be treated with more medications".

I am not saying thatthere weren't reasons why a patient first askedfor help, just that there are other avenues other than medication. How about mindfulness, meditation or talktherapy for a start? Anyway, that's all I have forthe moment. I might try to come back and respond to some other posts here this week. It's going to be a busy summer so I'll only be around a couple more weeks.

A fellow buddy had posted the following quotes below from some interesting books:

Why isthere a Denial of Withdrawal Reactions?

“Your Drug May Be Your Problem, How and Why to StopTaking Psychiatric Medications” by Peter R. Breggin, M.D. Fully revised and updated edition, 2007 (a Psychiatrist) Denial of Withdrawal Reactions. “When you talk to your doctor about problems stopping or reducingthe dose of your psychiatric drug, keep in mind that your doctor may not know much aboutthe problem or may even be irrationally denying its existence. Withdrawal reactions have been repeatedly documented. Yet some doctors seem completely unaware ofthe existence ofthese reactions.”

“Your doctor may also mistakenly attribute your withdrawal reactions to you “mental Illness”. Especially if you have unsuccessfully tried to withdraw fromthe drug previously, your doctor may try to convince you that you have a “chronic Illness” requiring lifetime drug use.The irony is thatthe longer you stay onthe drug,the more likely you are to suffer something beyond a mild reaction when you attempt to withdraw. Your unsuspecting doctor, and even you, might see thisas a sign that you “really need” your drug. In reality, what you really need is help in gradually withdrawing.” Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Reactions.

“Withdrawal reactions from benzodiazepines are extremely well documented. Tranquilizers can produce withdrawal reactions often only a few weeks of use.The longer you take a tranquilizer,the higherthe doses, andthe more abruptthe withdrawal—the more serious your withdrawal reactions are likely to be.” Withdrawal Reactions Can Cause “Significant Distress”.

There is a DSM-IV Codefor this: "Your Drug May Be Your Problem...How and Why to StopTaking Psychiatric Medications”, Fully Revised and Updated Edition" by Peter Breggin, M.D. 2007 (a Psychiatrist) Withdrawal Reactions Can Cause “Significant Distress” “Psychiatry’s official diagnostic manual,the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th edition, or DSM-IV, contains a diagnostic category entitled “Substance Withdrawal”, describedas “the development of a substance-specific maladaptive behavioral change, with physiological and cognitive concomitants, that is due tothe cessation of or reduction in, heavy and prolonged substance use. Onthe following page, DSM-IV emphasizesthe discomfort of withdrawal, stating thatthe “syndrome causes significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.” “This definition appears to be describing withdrawal from illicit or disapproved substances. Yet much prescribed, medically approved psychiatric drug use is also “heavy and prolonged”.As we document later in this chapter, withdrawal reactions that can cause severe and long-lasting distress and impairment have been specifiedfor all classes of psychiatric drugs. Two panels of experts have also identified a distinct, complex, and sometimes severe withdrawal syndromefor SSRI antidepressants. However, DSM-IV “recognizes” such reactionsfor only two currently used classes of psychiatric drug: stimulants and tranquilizers.”

"Your Drug May Be Your Problem, How and Why to StopTaking Psychiatric Medications" 2007 fully revised and updated edition, by Peter Breggin, M.D. (a Psychiatrist) "Stay in Charge ofthe Withdrawal. This is not to say you should let your doctor controlthe withdrawal. Even if you have been given every possible reason to believe that he or she understandsthe withdrawal process, it has to feel like a collaboration. And since physicians often withdraw patients too abruptly from psychiatric drugs, above all else you must feel free to slowthe process down. “

“Sometimes,as we discussed in Chapter 9, doctors cutthe dose by half from one day tothe next, while still calling this a “gradual” withdrawal. Such an abrupt reduction is an imprudent strategy in most cases. Because of ignorance, lack of experience in patient-centered withdrawal, or even an unacknowledged wish to sabotage your effort, your doctor may rush ahead and create unnecessary complications.The unfortunate outcome willthen be used to prove to you that withdrawal was a bad decision to begin with.” “Some ofthe steps discussed in later chapters of this book, suchas seeking replacement solutions and mastering techniques to cope with various manifestations of your problem, will help you to show your doctor that you are motivated, responsible, and capable of withdrawing successfully.”

“If attempts to enlist your doctor’s cooperation orassistance fail, you should be neither surprised nor discouraged. Remember that you, and no one else, will dothe actual “work” of coming off drugs. You will feelthe pain, you will experiencethe rewards. You will have to deal withthe objections and fears of those around you who resistthe idea that at least some of your current problems are actually drug-induced. You musttherefore try to be in charge ofthe entire process fromthe very beginning, fromthe very first moment you decidefor yourself that coming off drugs is your goal.”

I'm not on the other side yet, so reading this was probably not a good idea. I've always been prone to suggestion. I'm impressed with the great courage and belief you hall seem to have. There must be a lot of folks who just give up and relapse. I think that's a question.

[f5...]

Vertigo

thank you for your very very detailed reply I much appreciate the effort you have put into responding which is testament to your ongoing good health.

Firstly I must say my heart goes out to your poor mum aaaww it really does this is what happens here take this oh it caused this well take this to fix it and it goes on and on Im sure this happened to your mum so sad and she would be proud to know you have stuck around to support more and more people through this.  I for one KNOW it was the drugs that did this to me.  Like I just dribbled somewhere on here before I was never sick before I took psych drugs Im actually considering now Im starting to recover taking legal action over what happened to me.  However the thing that stops me is the stress of it all and I look to normal it will be hard to prove everything.  But I know what happened and you definately know what happened you were one of the first people i met and nothing saved me but getting off the stuff.  I know damage has been done to me but now I know why and will never ever take anything they may offer me.  Im very lucky in this respect that although my doctor doesnt believe me in regards to what benzos can do outside of his four week maximum withdrawal belief he totally respects me in the regard to never offering me any pysch meds and no im not saying at all that these drugs are bad for people what Im saying is that they are bad for me.

I still live in fear every day thinking that perhaps I will go back to that person screaming in a near fetal position hiding in the corner of the laundry yeah I really did that before NOT.  I know the truth and Im happy with that my friends here no the truth as well.  So I just need to get better and I will but not with any help from the medical profession.  Im so passionate about the cause though and this bothers me prior to me getting SICK as such I was a fierce advocate for those less fortunate (which is now myself) it was my profession seeking and demanding answers for injustices so here I am what do I do.  Im like a dog with a bone when I get started and I feel myself getting started.  Benzos first and other psych medications next.  why can the local doctor duck out to his back room and hand out an antipsychotic for sleep given to him by the handfuls by the pharma company representative  it just doesnt make any sense.  By the way these sample packs have absolutely no instructions with them and therefore you cant look at side effects.  Often people are to sick to look at side effects.  One of the rare conditions of zyprexa or serequel is the movement disorder I know how to say it but spelling unclear it is a serious disorder which has no cure.  Ok yes its rare but gee if Im psychotic I understand.  I took it because I had not really slept in 2 months no more than three hours a night and thats if I was lucky.  So although Im anti psych meds for myself that is I took it anyway because I was desperate and desperate people do desperate things .  Why when someone goes in for depression are they just automatically shoved on medication should they not be told to look at other options first before they are shoved on meds.  Seriously and why do these poor people like your mum who have no voice after a while are kept in the psych loop when often their reactions to medications cause the medical profession to just keep diagnosing them again and again.

anyway for fear of rambling I should stop but I do thank you for validating the obvious benzos caused this its not me.

By no means am I saying for a lot of people psych meds are lifesaving options.  But lets stick to the programme shall we benzos not recommended for more than 2 weeks use.  I wonder how many doctors have taken benzos and just stopped them.  I wonder if they take them at all.

thanks

Lizzyxx

28 and half months off and had a few drinks to celebrate my BD.  Well, to be honest, it was ALOT of drinks.  lol  Was it a mistake? hum...jury is still out on this one.  Just wanted to feel normal for a change.  Been in a bad wave for a couple of days, but not as bad as the beginning, so that is a good sign that im getting stronger.

I went to Vegas for the first week in May, really had fun.  Drank a couple of nights with no problems.  Then came home to company for the following week, then ended with a huge BD party out of town.    Considering it was a very stimulating couple of weeks nonstop, Vegas, traveling, drinking, company, and a wild BD party, I would say I really pushed it and did fairly well. 

Monday was my first down day with everyone gone and getting back to my normal routine.  It was really creepy last night but I can see that this wave isnt going to last long.  I finally feel it letting go this morning as the sun is rising.  I'm quickly returning to my "normal wd baseline" before this little adventure started.

So the conclusion of this little experiment is...

a.  Still really cant drink more than a couple without consequences

b.  Still sensitive to stimulation, but not as much as before

c.  Getting stronger

d.  I'm bouncing back quicker.  Bad waves dont last as long.

e.  Still not healed, so wd can still dictates what I can and can not do for now.

OH well,  I can tell you that I had fun at the time.  I felt joy, happiness, fun, love, all the good stuff in life with no DR and just about 100% normal at the time.  Even though it set me back a little, it was sooooo worth it.  ;-)

I

Vertigo thank youfor your very very detailed replyI much appreciatethe effort you have putinto responding whichis testament to your ongoing good health. FirstlyI must say my heart goes out to your poor mum aaawwit really does thisis what happens here take this ohit caused this well take this to fixit andit goes on and onIm sure this happened to your mum so sad and she would be proud to know you have stuck around to support more and more people through this... By no means amI sayingfor a lot of people psych meds are lifesaving options. But lets stick tothe programme shall we benzos not recommendedfor more than 2 weeks use.I wonder how many doctors have taken benzos and just stoppedthem.I wonderifthey takethem at all. thanks Lizzyxx

Thanks Lizzy. I've seen lives ruined by benzos personally as in the case of my mother's death andin my time here on forum the past couple years.There have been hospitalizations and unfortunately some suicides in the time I've been aroundforum. I also considered taking some legal action after my taper but decided itwasn't worth it afterthe amount of time that had already been taken from my family. I suppose it's an individual decision. After my mother died 20 years ago,I wrote a firm letter to my mother's psychiatrist, hinting atthe negligent care and over medicatingI believed she had received. To her doctor's credit, he did respond, without admitting any liability of course.

I agree that benzodiazapenes for the most part ought to be prescribed only for short term medical situations. Too much damageis being done with long term use (in most cases). I also agree that most doctors who are quick to judge probably have not been on a benzo or tried to go off rapidly.

You are very early in your healing process, Lizzy. A month is a blipin benzo recovery. Even though you had a particularly rough time this past year,I don't think the jury is out on you becoming "protracted" even though you have chosen to post on the protracted thread at times. I hope it is not a self fulfilling prophecy :pokey::). See how you feel at six months and at a year off. I don't believe one is protracted until at least 12-18 months off.

More and more,I've seen around forum where folks were not fully healed at a year and that can be quite normal in benzo healing, not an indictment thatone will be protracted. Anyway,I don't know if I'll makeit back to this thread to post beforeI leave forum (in June). I'm glad you got safely offthe valium, Lizzy and wish you all the bestin your post benzo healing. Your best chance of catching me is on my "post benzo freedom withdrawal support" thread in withdrawal support, not to be confused with "Albie's" Post benzo PROTRACTED withdrawal support thread, a little confusing :D;D.

:smitten:

Vertigo