Acupuncture Setback

[Mo...]

Has anyone had a setback from acupuncture? I was healing from my original setback and about a week ago I had acupuncture and my symptoms are 10x worse then anything I’ve experienced I’m so scared. Please let me know if I can talk to anyone 🙏🏻

[wi...]

I would not call it a setback, but just a flare up. AP can have a stimulating effect depending on what points the doctor needles.  If anything it will be beneficial, just because something revs you up doesn't mean it's preventing or blocking healing, it just means you're feeling uncomfortable symptoms.  

• Like 1

[Mo...]
Posted (edited)

@[wi...] Thanks. It’s been 10 days and I’m in the worst wave I’ve ever had. The only thing different was the acupuncture. Do you think it could be this? 

Edited by [Mo...]
  • Like 1

[Re...]

I am sorry you are going through this! I have heard many stories of people having setbacks from acupuncture. It seems to stimulate the central nervous system. It sucks that we have to carefully consider every treatment after benzo harm. I have heard people having setbacks from something as "benign" as a grounding mat. I have discovered that nothing is benign other than time. I hope you feel better soon.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

[Ca...]

Wow...I never heard of accupuncture causing a setback. Ive heard that supplements can, long road trips can, some antibiotics can like Levaquin and Cipro, sound baths, etc. I had accupuncture after I was cold turkey'd and in acute withdrawal and I thought it relaxed me. Could it be happenstance perhaps? Actually, there is something called emotional freedom tapping (EFT)which taps on the accupressure points and there is a video on line from a British woman who used it for benzo withdrawal and walks the watcher through it. 

I am very sorry you are in a setback. IT WILL PASS. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[wi...]
1 hour ago, [[M...] said:

@[wi...] Thanks. It’s been 10 days and I’m in the worst wave I’ve ever had. The only thing different was the acupuncture. Do you think it could be this? 

No, I don’t, but really in life anything is possible. 

Edited by [wi...]

[Mo...]
1 hour ago, [[R...] said:

I am sorry you are going through this! I have heard many stories of people having setbacks from acupuncture. It seems to stimulate the central nervous system. It sucks that we have to carefully consider every treatment after benzo harm. I have heard people having setbacks from something as "benign" as a grounding mat. I have discovered that nothing is benign other than time. I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks @[Re...] I’ve been reading the same, I had no idea it can be so powerful! 

[Re...]
4 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Thanks @[Re...] I’ve been reading the same, I had no idea it can be so powerful! 

From the research I have done, including hearing about things like castor oil and massages during benzo injury from other patients, it seems to me that anything that has a detoxifying effect can cause issues for folks. Acupuncture stimulates lymphatic flow for example. There is something about the elimination of toxins and benzo injury. Things like massages and red light therapy can also be triggers. It's crazy how these drugs and withdrawal from them throw off systemic responses to treatments a person would normally tolerate.

• Like 3

[Ha...]

I just had acupuncture and red light therapy and it helped me tremendously. Relaxed my blocked muscles.

• Like 1

[Ka...]

@[Mo...] I’m a fan of acupuncture & also cranial osteopathy. I believe the latter (which I’ve had during benzo usage) can cause a worsening of whatever symptoms are being treated - at least initially. If this is what is happening following acupuncture, then hopefully it will calm down for you. 

[Pi...]

Yes, I had this experience with acupuncture. Unfortunately, I didn't believe myself and went several times with poor results before I finally ditched it. Some people will be able to tolerate it, but certainly others of us can not. Best to listen to your body. For a long time, my body just wanted to be left alone. Same thing with massage therapy. A no-go for me. I have been able to do some acupressure, though, which you can do yourself, so that might be something to try.

Cheers,

Pickl

• Like 2

[Ca...]

Look for the Utube of the EFT for benzo withdrawal. It's all accupressure and it's short. I had good luck with cranial sacral therapy and osteopathic manipulation for my back pain. And someone who was in reccovery had a major setback from listening to binaural beats while he was sleeping. I am sorry to hear that some people here did not respond well to accupuncture. Did the practitioner know it was for benzo withdrawal and to calm your nervous system? Try and put it out of your mind as a causal factor and accept that you're having a wave and know that you'll hit the shore very soon.