Gene analysis explains why I paradox, this might be you if you have issues as well

[ba...]

I had a compehensive PGX molecular test done. this test is geared to determining if certain genes are defective in respect to metabolizing medication. I do have  1 defective gene in the group, the results determine I am an intermediate metabolizer. If other genes had also been defective, I would likely fall under poor metabolizer. Each gene is listed seperately in a description page, and describes how poor or non functionailty affects  response to medication. Essentially, if a gene or genes are defective it wont break down proteins properly.

From my defective genome:

When you take a medicine (or drug), your body needs to find a way to use it.  Some proteins in your body break down (or metabolize) medicines.  Breaking down a medicine can make it more or less active, based on the kind of medicine.  If your body breaks down a medicine too fast or too slowly, this may cause the medicine to not work as well.  It may also cause a side effect.

The TPMT gene gives instructions to your body to make a protein.  It is the job of the TPMT protein to break down certain medicines. 

Also:

A person who is an “Intermediate Metabolizer” for a medicine will process that drug slowly, but not as slowly as a poor metabolizer. This means that the normal amount (or dosage) of certain medicines may not work for them, or may cause side-effects.

Most medications  make me ill, make me crazy, or don't work. I can not tolerate alchohol, as a side note, have never been able to drink. I dont respond to anesthesia. I was given antidepressants, and went completely insane. Was then put on xanax. It never did give me the relief to the extant most people describe, and I have suffered (unknowningly for years) side effects, which are essentially adverse effects from it. My taper has been hell. I have to constantly adjust and find a dosage between an adverse effect (more common the higher the dose, but can happen at a low dose as well.) and a dose that isn't so low I am thrown into acute wd. It is quite the dance.

I made a large cut in March, and  had paradoxical reactions EVERY SINGLE DAY for a month. Finally updosed, bit by bit, and am in better balance now. However, tommorrow is another day. it's like the box of chocolates: I never know what i am going to get.

This is not happening because of tolerance, improper tapering, histamine, diet or a previous CT years ago. It is because I have a defective genome which will not metabolize medication properly.

This means that some medications work, but you will get adverse effects. An example is antibiotics. Some antibiotics do not work on my body at all. The ones that do leave me with horrendous side effects that can linger for months. This applies to OTC meds, supplements, vitamins and homeopathic, chinese, or naturopathic medication as well.  I cannot tolerate NSAIDS, for example, , they make me ill and don't work, one example. I do not purchase any OTC medication, non traditional medicines, or drugs, especially psychedelic substances and any form of THC. 

Hence, if you are experiencing acute symptoms, and adverse reactions, this could be the reason. I was selected for this study by the Colorado Center for personalized medicine, as they are compiling a database. I was not charged for this test. Here is their web page:

PGX (cuanschutz.edu)

I encourage folks who have adverse reactions, and experience side effects from their psych medication

to pursue a PGX test.

Hope this finally answers the WTF is going on for those of us who deal with this. 

• Like 2

[Ma...]

Interesting! Which of your genes has a defect?

I have two: CYP2D6 (which affects Paroxetine… taking that since 2008…) and CYP2C19 (so I can’t do a switch to Valium because it metabolizes on CYP2C19)… Both intermediate metabolism (1 functioning alel, 1 non-functioning). 

• Like 1

[ba...]

Mine is TPMT *1/*3A. Do you likewise have issues with medication as I have laid out?

Mine is 2 within the TNMT genome:

This patient has been found to be heterozygous for two variants in TPMT, rs1800460 and rs1142345, that are most commonly found in cis and represent the TPMT*3A allele, a no function allele (see genotype table). This result is consistent with one copy of a normal function allele and one copy of a no function allele and is expected to result in the intermediate metabolizer phenotype for the TPMT protein product.

[Ma...]

I didn’t know this one. I only did an analyses for genes predominantly connected to psychofarmaca (different CYP enzymes). 

I guess I don’t have a history of real problems with other medication. 

I am looking into things like vit D (had deficiency two years ago, which was treated), low vit B12 etc. But I want to stay away from adding any supplements etc. Don’t want to risk rocking the boat even further.

But is sounds to me this gene is giving you one hell of a taperingprocess in search of some stability of predictability. 

• Like 1