Members-only Group  ·  424 members  ·  Rules

Long Haulers

Use of Benadryl?

[Ga...]

[Ga...]

Has anyone taken Benadryl for allergies for a long period of time, and wondered if some lingering symptoms of benzo withdrawal could possibly be connected to its use.   I am curious as to whether taking it may be causing some of my benzo withdrawal symptoms that are similar to those reported by Benadryl users?  I have taken it off and on for allergies over several years, and recently did a YouTube search with quite a few online doctors reporting some disturbing issues connected to it.  Side effects listed by them were numerous, i.e., headaches, joint pain, dizziness, urine retention, GI issues, etc.  I know that recent research has shown a pretty strong relation to dementia, which I am not overly worried about, but will definitely stop using Benadryl as of today!  It supposedly does affect the CNS.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

GG

Edited by [Ga...]
Changed a word.

[Ch...]
9 hours ago, [[G...] said:

Has anyone taken Benadryl for allergies for a long period of time, and wondered if some lingering symptoms of benzo withdrawal could possibly be connected to its use.   I am curious as to whether taking it may be causing some of my benzo withdrawal symptoms that are similar to those reported by Benadryl users?  I have taken it off and on for allergies over several years, and recently did a YouTube search with quite a few online doctors reporting some disturbing issues connected to it.  Side effects listed by them were numerous, i.e., headaches, joint pain, dizziness, urine retention, GI issues, etc.  I know that recent research has shown a pretty strong relation to dementia, which I am not overly worried about, but will definitely stop using Benadryl as of today!  It supposedly does affect the CNS.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

GG

3 hours ago, [[w...] said:

Benadryl sends me into ACUTE. Not kidding. 

Benadryl is a first generation antihistamine that crosses the blood/brain barrier and, therefore, affects the CNS. Second and third generation antihistamines are much less likely to do this. It would be worth your while to try one of the newer antihistamines.

[jo...]

I’ve taken Benadryl to sleep but one time it gave me intense nausea which scared me so I didn’t take it again. Zyrtec has been fine for me during spring on a daily basis. It works well and no uptick in symptoms for me 

[Be...]

I took Benadryl for my vasculitis and it did  help me sleep, but made me forgetful.

[Ga...]

Wow, thanks everyone for weighing in!  I will never take Benadryl again and will always wonder if taking it has been at least partially responsible for my long lingering symptoms?!

GG

• Like 1

[Ga...]
9 hours ago, [[w...] said:

Benadryl sends me into ACUTE. Not kidding. 

What symptoms did you experience when taking it?