Inpatient recovery options 6 months post cold turkey jump

[RL...]

Good morning/day all, 

I am a brand new participant/member of this forum.  I wish I had joined it sooner!  I can see and appreciate everyone’s willingness to help one another out after such a tough battle with these horrible medications. It’s an ongoing process/battle that I don’t feel anyone is capable of comprehending when beginning their journey. Good, bad, or indifferent we all know how bad it REALLY is. :(

I reach out for help regarding a couple things/topics/ailments, and would appreciate anyone’s help and insight whether it’s positive or negative.  However, before I go into my questions, I would like to give a quick snapshot of the background I come from. 
  -up to 6 mg klonopin & xan daily (total) for 8 years. Total usage time was 15 years, maybe closer to 13.  I took for panic attacks and general anxiety after a career in the US Army (retired).

I knew I had to stop taking benzos and my dependence continued to worsen. I stopped cold turkey August 20th of 2023.

It been a struggle since. As I was ONLY taking Xanax at the time I stopped. I had quit Klonopin 4 years ago, also cold turkey, and had the same symptoms at that time too. 

I would like to know people’s experiences regarding the following symptoms, how long they lasted, and what they found gave them some relief:

-intrusive thoughts

-numbness in face, neck, arms, & legs

-heightened ADHD

-procrastinating

-hypochondria 

-dp/np

-pain in joints

I am also soliciting ideas for in patient stays, as I feel it might help my confidence some. I’m down and out searching for purpose. I’m located on the central east coast of Florida, but will travel for the best option that might healthcare (VA) will cover.

I thank everyone in advance for their comments.  I look forward to being a positive member of this group, and helping in ANY way that I can. 

Louis

[Re...]

Hello @[RL...], Welcome to BenzoBuddies, 

Thank you for your service!

Congratulations for being off Xanax for 6 months already, that is tremendous achievement. We have many members who have gone through cold turkey and rapid cessation. It is the hard way of quitting benzodiazepines, but the vast majority seems to recover eventually. I can not tell you precisely how long it is going to take to be symptom free. It definitely gets easier with time I can assure you, but it is a long journey with always waxing and waning symptoms. 

All of your symptoms are consistent with benzo withdrawal. I jumped from a high dose after a rapid taper, so I can relate to your struggles. Many of these symptoms you list have reached their maximum already or started to dissipate for me from month 5 - 7. The intrusive thoughts remain for me, definitely, but it has gotten way better than it was at the beginning of my recovery. So, in general symptoms do get better on their own, however, working on ourselves a bit, when we are no longer acute, I believe does lighten our burdens.   

It might be worth mentioning that our system seems to be in a heightened, oversensitive state going through benzo withdrawal, I don't know if you have experienced this. Before starting other therapies/medications, I would advise you to do some research before and see if our members have encountered issues, and of course talk to your doctor. It is better to be on the safe side, just an idea.

I am sure our Buddies will comment soon, too, 

Take care @[RL...]

RR

[RL...]
Posted (edited)

Great response!! I appreciate the support:)

it’s such a crippling withdrawal. I’m Glad you are staying strong in your recovery.  

((its been 8 months:))

Edited by [RL...]
Added text