Here is a quick photo of how I’m feeling averaging 28 hours of sleep a week

[Sh...]

[Sh...]

The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, and round and round 😫

• Like 2
  • Love 1

[Sh...]

Don’t think I even got 3 hours last night. 3am. It’s gunna be a loooooooooong day 

[Th...]

Sorry your insomnia sucks  right now.  But, it WILL get better.  It's only a matter of time.  I had some significant insomnia waves at 3 years off too.  Hang in there.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

[ka...]

Shayna thinking of you and hoping for a better night tonight.

• Love 1

[Sh...]

Ugh u guys. Thanku x 

it seriously sucks. But I try to just ignore it as much as I can. It got me a couple of days ago tho. I was quite teary. 
I had a racing heart last night for no reason which was wierd and of course as soon as I went to bed is when it started. But I still managed to get to sleep and I think I got around 4.5 so I feel ok today. 
it’s funny how when u tell someone “normal” that’s how much sleep u get they carry on like u have just told them u have lost an arm. It’s so normal to me. 5 hours a night and I feel good. 4 is a little bit harder and when I get down to 3 that’s rough. 
off to gym to wear myself out again. 💪🏾

• Like 1

[La...]

It will get better. Hang in there!  That picture looks how I feel trying to drive / ride in the car. 
I’m hoping you get some good sleep very soon. 

Edited by [La...]
  • Love 1

[Sh...]

Isn’t it crazy! I can drive and u can sleep! This whole mess is so frustrating. 
I did sleep restriction last night and it worked well. I didn’t go to bed til 11:30 then I slept til 5. Just going to try and keep that up and see if I can crack it 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Sh...]

2nd night of sleep restriction same again. Can’t seem to get more than 5 hrs atm except for fluke nights which are rare. But I’m not laying in bed for hours trying to sleep which is a good thing 

• Love 1

[ka...]

4 hours ago, [[S...] said:

2nd night of sleep restriction same again. Can’t seem to get more than 5 hrs atm except for fluke nights which are rare. But I’m not laying in bed for hours trying to sleep which is a good thing 

Will count this as a win 💕💕

• Love 2

[La...]
On 11/04/2024 at 16:23, [[S...] said:

Isn’t it crazy! I can drive and u can sleep! This whole mess is so frustrating. 
I did sleep restriction last night and it worked well. I didn’t go to bed til 11:30 then I slept til 5. Just going to try and keep that up and see if I can crack it 

Awesome! Sleep restriction is part of my CBT-I routine. Absolutely no naps. All sleeping is done at night.  I’m glad it works for you. 
yes it’s crazy that most people can drive and some can’t sleep well. 
im doing all I can to get back behind the wheel on a regular basis. I’m I’m at the mercy of my symptoms each day. But I do see some progress…it’s small but I’ll take it! At least it’s in the right direction. This month hasn’t been good so far but I know that’s how this goes. 
im cheering you on to counting more sheep while you sleep. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Th...]

Not trying to "rain" on your parade, but how long have you been off?  Sleep restriction absolutely WILL NOT work for Benzo-induced insomnia.  It can't because lack of sleep is caused from Down-regulated GABA receptors, so restricting your time in bed will make zero difference.  

Why?  Because normally GABA receptors (or what make you calm and relaxed so you can sleep) are in a balancing act with Glutamate receptors (or what makes you active and alert, fight or flight).  Since the Benzos temporarily take GABA off-line, Glutamate rules the day and night.  Glutamate over fires since GABA is temporarily out of the picture creating a state known as excitotoxicity.  That's why you can literally not sleep for days and still feel wired and still drive a car without nodding off.  Shayna has been off for 3 years so sleep restriction could very well help her!

I only point this out so people newer to this forum don't get confused and think they can try sleep restriction as a way to help Benzo-induced insomnia!

I could never sleep or nap during the day or much at night for the first 9-10 months after I jumped CT.

Peace!

Edited by [Th...]
  • Like 1

[Sh...]
Posted (edited)

Yeah 100% agree the way. But lady den has been off 4 years and I’m off 3, so bit different for us. 
any newbies reading this, I did cbti (cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia) for over a year during withdrawal and the first year off with an “expert” in the field. Made absolutely zero difference. I knew it wasnt doing a thing at the time but I was so desperate I went anyway. Unfortunately as the way says no amount of sleep restriction or cbt can help down regulated receptors grow back faster.  
But as I said I’m 3 years out now, sure there’s still some damage to repair because there are days I don’t feel sleepy at all even after a bad night, but also I believe there is an element of learned behavior now and also as a female hurtling towards menopause hormones are playing a huge role too. 
I wouldn’t say I am sticking rigidly to anything coz last night I went to bed at 9 and slept til 2, then was awake for a bit then fell back asleep for another couple of hours. 
But today I feel human. Sure beats feeling like some sort of mutant. 

Edited by [Sh...]
  • Like 1

[Sh...]
Posted (edited)

Ps I still can’t nap. I actually refuse to try anymore because it reinforces “I can’t sleep” when I can’t do it. Which I still am unfortunately not able to anyway. Besides I’d rather sleep at night. 
I had trouble napping during the day even before all this happened so it’s nothing new really. 
Also newbies, my story won’t be ur story. Don’t read this and think “omg she’s still not sleeping normally”. I unfortunately have a very stressful family life which can set me back. When I say I only get a few hours yes it’s bad but my coping mechanisms are off the charts. In that way I am a bit of a mutant but 3 hours now looks nothing like 3 years ago. 3 years ago I had a myriad of other symptoms to contend with along with the insomnia, now I sleep 3 hrs have a bit of a whinge then go for a run. 
it’s a different animal entirely x

Edited by [Sh...]
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@[Sh...] how is the sleep restriction working out for you? I'm also considering giving it a try. Although I'm only 8.5 months out, on most nights I sleep more or less ok, but on average once I week a have a pretty bad night (sometimes 0 perceived sleep) and that really undermines my confidence in my ability to fall asleep. It usually happens when I don't feel especially sleepy but turn off the lights anyway, and then I don't fall asleep quickly and probably start ruminating and things go downhill from there. Do you think sleep restriction might help with that?