Dry eyes????

[Li...]

[Li...]

Hi all,

A little over 2 years ago (about 2 years into my taper) I started having severe issues with my eyes.  They first started for no reason at all instantly burning like I was cutting hot peppers and put my fingers in my eyes.  This went on for about 5 or 6 months.  Then a eye dr gave me some drops that were a combination antibiotic/steroid (because he had no idea what was wrong).  After being on these drops for about a month the burning stopped but they were instantly severely dry.  I fought with this for a while on and off for about 6 months or so.  Warm compresses, eye drops... etc.  I then changed to an ophthalmologist that said my eyes were severely inflamed.  He put me on prescription eye drops for dry eyes (Xiidra) and had me use preservative free drops for moisture.  After about 3 months he put plugs into my eyes. 

**side note: during this time I also got a rash on my face and neck that would come and go and was sent to  rheumatoid doctor because of a positive ANA.  They tested me for auto immune including Sjogren's disease and all my tests came back normal and good.  She thought that my rash in pictures looked like rosacea and sent me to a dermatologist.  The dermatologist confirmed that and gave me some creams.  I haven't had a flare up in over a year and I only used the creams for a short time.  (not fully convinced that is what it was.).

However, when reading up on the rosacea I ran across an article that talked about it causing dry eyes, ocular rosacea.  My eyes were hurting so bad from the dryness and I felt like I had things in my eyes all the time.  I had an appointment with my doctor and told him that I thought I had this ocular rosacea.  I had all the symptoms.  He put me on antibiotics for about 2 months and steroid drops for my eyes for about a month.  Over the next few weeks they continued to get better and for about a month or so they felt normal again. I was so relieved.  But that was short lived as the dryness came back.  

I saw my doctor this past January and at this point he didn't think I needed to do anymore medications right now because the inflammation in my eyes keeps going down.  He just wants to say I have sever dry eyes but I guess I am I am not completely sold on the fact it is a random thing with no reason.  

I'm just wondering if any of you have had issues like mine?  I finished a 4.5 year taper on January 1st of this year.  

PS... I also went and had allergy tests done.  

Thanks,  Lisa

Edited by [Li...]

[kn...]

I've had eye issues ever since I started my taper 2.5 years ago.  Yes they are dry,  burn and itch especially if I'm out in the wind.  When I'm tired in the evening the words on the page flow together or blur and then return to normal.  I get my eyes checked every year and have also been to the ophthalmologist.  It's a bummer because I love to read.  It's the main distraction that has kept me going.  I do need reading glasses, but I'm 72 so go figure.  Things have improved gradually though as I've gone along.  I'm at a lower mg on my taper so I can't figure that out.  Most of my symptoms have grown far worse.  

• Like 2

[Nu...]

My eyes were so dry they felt like sandpaper. I mean... I thought my eyelids were going to rip off my cornea when I would blink. Thank goodness it's much improved...

• Like 2

[or...]

@[Nu...] and @[kn...] I had a lot of trouble with my eyes during my taper. Itching and burning.  After trying quite a few things with me (including  Restasis), my ophthalmologist suggested Systane's heavy-duty eye drops called Ultra. They work very well. Best of all, they're OTC. I haven't had trouble since I started using them. I have to put them in about 3 x a day and just before bedtime, but it's really not much trouble.  I just have dry eyes. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

[Nu...]
6 hours ago, [[o...] said:

@[Nu...] and @[kn...] I had a lot of trouble with my eyes during my taper. Itching and burning.  After trying quite a few things with me (including  Restasis), my ophthalmologist suggested Systane's heavy-duty eye drops called Ultra. They work very well. Best of all, they're OTC. I haven't had trouble since I started using them. I have to put them in about 3 x a day and just before bedtime, but it's really not much trouble.  I just have dry eyes. Hope this helps.

I've used those with success. It's a good brand!

[Li...]
18 hours ago, [[o...] said:

@[or...] I use Xiidra drop 2x a day, Systane PF several times a day and ointment at night before I go to bed.  I like the Systane drop also.

[or...]

@[Li...] sounds like you have a good regimen going! I tried the ointment before bed, but it freaked me out. Couldn't see anything . . .I 'm just a weenie. Sometimes I use gel drops at night. They work better. Oh, dry eyes . . . what a pain!

• 1 month later...
On 21/03/2024 at 05:05, [[N...] said:

My eyes were so dry they felt like sandpaper. I mean... I thought my eyelids were going to rip off my cornea when I would blink. Thank goodness it's much improved...

I know how u feel. Dry eyes can be brutal... From my experience, staying hydrated, incorporating foods rich in vitamins and proteins, finding moments for relaxation, and using eye drops from my local Canadian Pharmacy B2B made a big difference. For me, it's a quality indicator, very convenient and effective. It helps me and improves my health, so I recommend it to everyone. Glad to hear you're feeling better!

Edited by [Ch...]