Can one use of melatonin “wake up” this gaba receptors after you have healed after benzo wd?

[Te...]

[Te...]

Many years ago I was taking Ativan nightly for 4 years. It started to cause problems , it was just 1/2 mg, so the doc upped it to 1mg. Not good as I was starting a paradoxical reaction. Long story short I tapered off over a 6 month period. Years later I started having insomnia and panic so the hospital gave me a Xanax. I had a terrible reaction to it . But the worst part was even tho I only had one dose , I went into WD for many days until I saw a psychiatrist about it. He told me the GABAs in the brain remember so to never take benzos again. Fast forward to now, I have occasional anxiety that can be debilitating and cause no sleep , which causes more panic from sleep deprivation. The doctor told me to take a melatonin. I took a very small dose , a child’s dose , and felt better. However, after 2 nights of taking it, I’m very anxious and withdrawal feeling in the daytime. Does melatonin hit the same gaba receptors as benzos? I read it does?? If it “woke” my receptors up, even tho a tiny dose, am I stuck in withdrawal again?? I’m actually freaking out over this. I feel awful and don’t know what to do. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

• Sad 1

[An...]

OP said>>>

Does melatonin hit the same gaba receptors as benzos? I read it does??

IMO, no. You should not be stuck in benzo w/d again after a double dose of melatonin. Melatonin is a hormone.

[or...]

@[Te...] imo no. I agree with @[An...]. I took melatonin during my taper and it did not affect things one bit. Maybe it's your anxiety running away with you? I know I became anxious over odd things during my taper (we all did/do) and my sleep was affected. If melatonin was helping you, if it were me, I'd try it again. 

• Love 1

[Te...]

Thank you for your help. I have been out of benzo wd for 6 years. That’s why I was wondering about this since I haven’t touched a benzo since 2018. 
info have anxiety that keeps me up for days so perhaps it’s messing with my reasoning. Either way I am very appreciative that you took the time to answer and  help. Thank you !

[wi...]

Are you using alcohol? This can really cause things to worsen. Not recommended.

• Like 1

What small dose was it? The 2-3 mg often recommended is too much. 0,3-0,5 mg is a better dose for most people.

Other than that, someone I know had to stop melatonine, because their body "protested" against it. Like the natural circadian rythm didn't like to be impacted by something else.

Since you already have anxiety it is possible that your hyperaroused brain reacts to something, anything, trying to mess with the brain chemistry.

• Like 1

[ns...]
On 11/03/2024 at 02:43, [[A...] said:

OP said>>>

IMO, no. You should not be stuck in benzo w/d again after a double dose of melatonin. Melatonin is a hormone.

AntiBenzo7, had to chime in here. 

My doctor put me on hormones last yr. I had terrible side effects, tons of anxiety and panic attacks. Went to er and they tested my thyroid. I'd had a thyroid test 2 months prior and it was negative and all was good. 

The er test caused the er doc to question, asking, what did u take, what did u take? I told him. Nothing!

He told me my test was positive for possible hyperthyroidism and I needed to have tests done. He asked why I was on hormones, I told him. He said I should discuss with my doctor and consider stopping hormones. 2 weeks after I stopped them, my thyroid was normal. 

Idk what that was, but I was taking lorazapam and wasn't responding well to it at that time.

Also, I cannot take melatonin. 

Just wanted to add my experience. 

Ns

• Like 1

[Ga...]

Hi Nsindy.  I am curious as to what hormone you took that left you with some negative side effects?  I am post-menopausal and because I have had too many UTI’s over the last two years (was not having them pre-Valium) my urologist wants me to use a pea size amount of Estradial cream twice a week.  Of course, I am a little paranoid as I have had so many flares from antibiotics, so am now nervous about any type of med.  I have been assured by my doctors that the  amount to be applied is minimal and will not get into the blood stream!

Any thoughts or comments will be appreciated.

GG

[ns...]
1 hour ago, [[G...] said:

Hi Nsindy.  I am curious as to what hormone you took that left you with some negative side effects?  I am post-menopausal and because I have had too many UTI’s over the last two years (was not having them pre-Valium) my urologist wants me to use a pea size amount of Estradial cream twice a week.  Of course, I am a little paranoid as I have had so many flares from antibiotics, so am now nervous about any type of med.  I have been assured by my doctors that the  amount to be applied is minimal and will not get into the blood stream!

Any thoughts or comments will be appreciated.

GG

GG, hi

It was premarin, a very low dose, the lowest you can get.

Also tried estradiol a yr prior but couldn't take. I had been on premarin for many years until age 57, chest pain, so was told to stop.

Please note, I am sensitive to everything,! Many foods, vit, supplements etc so it could be that was the reason, but the er doc sure didn't think I should be on it.

I have read here some who said they had a sort of reaction to hormones, different ones than what I took.

Everyone is different, so keep that in mind. 

Why aren't you taking hormones now, I'm sorry I haven't read your history. 

I had a total hysterectomy and I was a mess from it. I could take hormones due to endometriosis for months,  it wasn't so great.

You need hormones for sure.

Estradiol cream might not cause any issues. Your not ingesting it, so it's possible it might not have that side effect.

I took estroven a yr  and Half ago and it was great for me. After I went back on lorazapam I couldn't tolerate it. It has soy in it so probably why. It's not an actual hormone but does act as one. It was great! I'll be going back to it when I'm feeling better from withdrawal. 

I hope you do ok with the estradiol and hope you find the right balance. We need hormones.

If it were me, I'd only use a tiny bit to see how I tolerate it, have a positive attitude that it will do fine and I might well be ok.

Our mind can play games with us and indeed it does me all the time. So, positive affirmation is best!

Hope this helped answer your question.

Take care 

Ns

[Ga...]

Thank you so very much, Nsindy!!!  As a little background, I am a young at heart 77 years old and never had any problems with UTI’s or bladder issues since my menopausal years back in the 1990’s.  Therefore, I don’t know if the one year of taking Valium brought on the UTI’s and bladder issues, or at my age it is a given for changing anatomy and dryness.  I did just have a full pelvic exam as well as a vaginal ultrasound last week, and the internal exam showed I am still pretty healthy down there!  I am waiting for the results of the ultrasound, but the technician shared with me she saw nothing alarming….no masses, normal endometrial wall, no cysts, etc.

My OBGYN and my Urologist/OBGYN have agreed that a small amount of Estradial cream slightly inserted into the vagina will not get into my blood stream, but may very well prevent the UTI’s and contribute to overall better female health.

I also am sensitive to some meds and supplements….but, most especially antibiotics which I have had to take to rid myself of the UTI’s.  Now, however, my urologist wants me to come to her office lab if I begin to feel the symptoms of a UTI….she believes I have been put on antibiotics too often, as later tests showed I was having pain from an overactive bladder!

I will see my urologist next Tuesday and she will decide if I need to have another cystoscopy, which I had done two years ago and which showed a healthy bladder, urethra, and cervix.  I have read of many female buddies going through all sorts of bladder, pelvic, and UTI issues.  The bladder is a muscle and Valium is known to be a great muscle relaxer, so taking Valium for a year has really screwed up a lot of my muscles, particularly my neck muscles.

Thank you for your helpful information and I hope you are on a path that leads you to a full recovery!

GG

• Like 1