Recovering from Benzo's later in life.

[Ka...]

I just started participating in the site. I have been prescribed benzo's for the last 20 years. I was put on a taper that is causing me a lot of hardship.  I am curious to know if there are people my age going through this and what advice they may have. I am 70 years old. I can't re-wind and change the past.I am trying to go forward. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1

[Co...]

Hello @[Ka...]

Can you provide us with details about the particular benzodiazepine, the full dose you were taking, and the progress of your taper?

To reassure you, we have members your age and older who successfully completed their taper off benzodiazepines.

[kn...]

Hi, @[Ka...],  I'm 72 and have been taking benzos for 30 years+.  I was prescribed 4mgs of Klonopin and 1mg of Ativan the entire time.  My provider crossed me over to 60mgs of Diazepam 2.5 years ago and have been struggling with this ever since.  I was at 2mgs for 5 months hoping to stabilize, but it never got any better.  Site advice was to up dose and see if that didn't make an improvement.  I had to go back up to 4 on Feb 6th of this year, but I'm starting to be able to function and make my way through some more of this.  I'll be honest, it's been extremely tough all the way.  Dr's. that did not understand and acknowledge my symptoms, and all of the other horrid things  you'll find on these threads.  Right now,  I have a handicapped parking permit, have to use a cane, and have hand rails in the shower.  None of this was part of my life before this started.  I don't want to drag your thread down to the dumps here.  I'm sure that others will stop and comment.  I will also accept personal messages if you care to hear more .  I've been on site since Sept. of 23.  I'm no expert, but will try to answer your questions.  Best wishes.  It's been a long road for all of us. 

[Ta...]

To me the most important thing is to try not to go up and down. Every time I've updosed, it just makes everything harder. When you make a cut in dose try to keep it within the 5-10 percent range, and hold there until you feel some stability. The slower and steadier you go, the better. And be good to yourself..Eat good clean whole foods, and exercise as regularly as possible. Try to notice the beauty in nature, and in yourself. This is a difficult journey, so give yourself credit! And try to do things that you enjoy. You are worth it.

• Like 2

[Di...]

I will turn 69 years old in a few days.  Urgh!  I have been on Ativan for 13 years.  I have tapered for two years from 2 mgs down to a little over .5 mgs.  Slow, very slow taper.  I drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.   I have eliminated sugar and carbs from my diet.  I work out in my hot tub for 40 mins a day.  Set a time to sleep each night.  I went off caffeine coffee but just started to get headaches, so I drink a little caffeinated coffee to help with my headaches. 

At the end of the month I will be at 1/2 mg of Ativan.  This is when I will go to compound pharmacy, and I will taper off of this.  I asked my Doctor if she would switch me over to Valium to see how my body reacts to it before I go to compound pharmacy.  She has to think about it.  By having my drug compounded will help me taper much sooner.  This is my hope anyways.   I know the next year is going to be challenging but I hope to get off of this drug within the next 8 months.  

[Co...]
1 hour ago, [[D...] said:

I will turn 69 years old in a few days.  Urgh!  I have been on Ativan for 13 years.  I have tapered for two years from 2 mgs down to a little over .5 mgs.  Slow, very slow taper.  I drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.   I have eliminated sugar and carbs from my diet.  I work out in my hot tub for 40 mins a day.  Set a time to sleep each night.  I went off caffeine coffee but just started to get headaches, so I drink a little caffeinated coffee to help with my headaches. 

At the end of the month I will be at 1/2 mg of Ativan.  This is when I will go to compound pharmacy, and I will taper off of this.  I asked my Doctor if she would switch me over to Valium to see how my body reacts to it before I go to compound pharmacy.  She has to think about it.  By having my drug compounded will help me taper much sooner.  This is my hope anyways.   I know the next year is going to be challenging but I hope to get off of this drug within the next 8 months.  

I think going either way is fine (depending upon the circumstances). But I generally suggest avoiding making any unnecessary changes. So, unless you are having a particular problem with Ativan, in your shoes, I would not change to another benzo. There are always risks of developing new problems when making any changes to our medication, and switching to another benzodiazepine is a rather large change.

• Like 1

[Ta...]

I changed from Ativan to valium and it was a nightmare! I lost 42 pounds from the nausea and constipation from valium. This added over a year to my taper. I look back now, and can't believe I survived! I just turned 68. Colin is right! Change is hard at any age, but especially when we are a bit older.

All the best to you!

[Ja...]

Karil,

Early seventies here.  Six months post taper from Dalmane 15mg (Flurazepam) taken for 25 years for insomnia.  It’s very, very difficult.  The only help I have found is this site, a book I bought on Amazon,“Benzo’s” by Jack Hobson DuPont and the Ashton manual.  I spent 4weeks in a facility in June/July 23.  I have gone from one withdrawal symptom to another and am currently dealing with five symptoms, neck pain, stomach issues, fatigue, permanent sour taste, head pressure.  Doctors understand very little about withdrawal from benzo medication.  Psychiatrists do not understand either.  I find stress very, very difficult.  Fortunately I have remained functional.
 I wish you all the very best with your taper.  

[Ru...]

I am in a similar situation. I just today started using this site. I’m 77 and have had a recent muti-week stay in the hospital. I have been using Clonazapam (1 mg nightly) for about 22 years at first for anxiety then continued to use it as a sleep aid. It worked fine and i had no issues with it. Since getting out of the hospital last Dec. I have been having symptoms of Benzo withdrawal, the most serious being insomnia. Apparently, while in the hospital they had stopped most of my meds including Clon for about 2 weeks. They restarted my Clon upon discharge 1 week later and I have been miserable since. I barely get 3-4 hours of sleep per night in 2 chunks. My GP told me to stop using the 1.0 mg Clon in 0.25 parts weekly for 4 weeks. I have not been able to get below 0.75 mg without the insomnia and other symptoms stopping me. I don't know how to proceed. Any ideas will be appreciated.

[Br...]

Hello @[Ru...]!  Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

There are a number of us here who are older and tapering currently or recovered from benzos.  You're in good company.

I'm sorry you went through such an ordeal during your recent hospitalization and that you're suffering from insomnia.  Just to confirm, is it your wish to taper off clonazepam?

I'm sorry to say but I think your doctor gave you very poor advice about tapering off clonazepam.  Tapering quickly as the doctor has recommended is likely to result in difficult withdrawal symptoms.  This is almost certainly contributing to the insomnia you're experiencing.   A slow, careful taper is the best way we know of to remain as functional as possible and keep withdrawal symptoms to a minimum.  This is probably even more important for individuals who have been taking benzos for a long period of time.  If I were in your shoes I would reinstate my original dose of 1mg., hold there for several weeks until you have stabilized and are back to baseline where you were before your hospitalization.  

Once you are feeling stable I would begin to taper as follows: We typically suggest tapering with cuts of no more than 5-10% of your most recent dose every 14 days or longer depending on your symptoms.  It's important to remain flexible and make adjustments to your taper rate if you run into difficult symptoms.  The goal is to remain as functional a possible.  

Some of our members are comfortable making cuts by eyeballing the amounts.  Others are more comfortable using a jeweler's scale (available on Amazon for $30-$40) for a bit more precision.  It's whatever you find works best for you.

We're glad to help you with your taper.  Please let us know any questions you have - let us know how we can help you.  We're glad you found us!

Brighterday

[Ru...]

Thank you for your response. I believe that tapering might be right for me but it seems that the process is quite complicated and long. Also prone to error at age 77. There is much I don't know about this such as, what is compounding? What is "WD", and other terms/acronyms I've come across. Is there a glossary on this excellent site?

I was forced to start this back I. June and way too quickly. The past month all I seem capable of is making plans and changing them. Dr's have changed and I was down to .25. Raised to .5 and started a 2 MG in decembet6. I took 3 MG per day for over 30 years.  I think it's malpractice but that won't get me through the night.

I'm confused and have everyone mad ar me fir this crazy behavior. Coming off seroquelcat the same time

What a mess. 

[Pa...]
On 17/03/2024 at 15:33, [[R...] said:

Thank you for your response. I believe that tapering might be right for me but it seems that the process is quite complicated and long. Also prone to error at age 77. There is much I don't know about this such as, what is compounding? What is "WD", and other terms/acronyms I've come across. Is there a glossary on this excellent site?

Hello @[Ru...], it doesn't sound as if the Clonazepam was giving you any difficulty before your hospital stay, would you and your doctor be amenable to you staying on the Clonazepam if you could get back to your regular dose and didn't experience any symptoms?  What I'm asking is, if you could go back, would you?

I ask this because at 77 years of age, if the drug has and is working for you, I don't see an advantage in discontinuing it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Ru...]
On 19/03/2024 at 08:19, [[P...] said:

Hello @[Ru...], it doesn't sound as if the Clonazepam was giving you any difficulty before your hospital stay, would you and your doctor be amenable to you staying on the Clonazepam if you could get back to your regular dose and didn't experience any symptoms?  What I'm asking is, if you could go back, would you?

I ask this because at 77 years of age, if the drug has and is working for you, I don't see an advantage in discontinuing it. 

I agree with you. But, I have been having a great deal of difficulty reestablishing the way I was responding (and not responding negatively) to my use of Clon. before my hospitalization.  Without my knowing it, for my 1st 2 weeks (in ICU) I had been taken off the Clon entirely. I experienced substantial hallucinations but when I tried to tell anyone I was told it was normal. In my 3rd week in the hospital they resumed my Clon but at a different schedule than I had been taking, The hallucinations went away but ever since I came home (now 4 months) I have been having much difficulty sleeping and pins/needles feelings with random muscle twitches. I really don't know what to do but I thought tapering off Clon might be the answer. My Primary care physician is no help with this. He wants to refer to a Psychiatrist but I'm reluctant. Also, I have now learned that this might be a very slow and tedious process.

[An...]
On 15/03/2024 at 04:07, [[D...] said:

Curious? How do you work out in a hot tub?

[An...]
On 19/03/2024 at 08:19, [[P...] said:

Totally agree with what Pam said. There are some ppl who are doing great, never become tolerant to any appreciable degree, and should simply stay on the drug IMO.

[Pa...]
9 hours ago, [[R...] said:

I agree with you. But, I have been having a great deal of difficulty reestablishing the way I was responding (and not responding negatively) to my use of Clon. before my hospitalization.  Without my knowing it, for my 1st 2 weeks (in ICU) I had been taken off the Clon entirely. I experienced substantial hallucinations but when I tried to tell anyone I was told it was normal. In my 3rd week in the hospital they resumed my Clon but at a different schedule than I had been taking, The hallucinations went away but ever since I came home (now 4 months) I have been having much difficulty sleeping and pins/needles feelings with random muscle twitches. I really don't know what to do but I thought tapering off Clon might be the answer. My Primary care physician is no help with this. He wants to refer to a Psychiatrist but I'm reluctant. Also, I have now learned that this might be a very slow and tedious process.

I was afraid of this, oftentimes when we make changes to our dose, as you did, its very difficult to go back to the way it was.  I believe some have had luck by going up in dose but for some, its like a switch gets flipped and its never the same. 

The trouble is, this process is more than tedious, its painful as you've found and I hate to see this happen to you.  You mentioned your doctor put you on a different schedule, does this mean a different dose?

If you're back on the same dose, would you or your doctor consider raising it?  This isn't a suggestion I make lightly because its possible your body would reach tolerance to the new dose and you'd have to raise it again but at this juncture, I see this as the better option for you.

• Like 1

[Ha...]

I'm 66 and at the very end of a 19 month taper off 40 year Ativan dependence. It is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. Much harder than cigarettes, opiate W/D, what a cake walk that was compared to this. Currently on 1/4 of an 0.5. Still have tinnitus, muscle twitching / spasms, blurry/double vision, headaches, etc., etc., etc., :-) all senses are hypersensitive. BUT, the flight and fight and cortisol rushes are much less than they were 2 months ago. I feel like I am healing even in the taper. It's blood pressure I'm concerned about for us older folks without having any medical supervision. I know most of us have done this without any help. I went in to this blindly and I've certainly learned along the way about protracted W/D. It's comforting to know that there are others out there around my age going through the exact same thing. It's horrible, torture really. I feel optimistic, but that's my nature! What I want to say to you is it will get better. I know it's so hard, but it will get better. It just takes so much willpower. I have little windows of healing. You will heal!

Edited by [Ha...]

[Ru...]
7 hours ago, [[P...] said:

I was afraid of this, oftentimes when we make changes to our dose, as you did, its very difficult to go back to the way it was.  I believe some have had luck by going up in dose but for some, its like a switch gets flipped and its never the same. 

The trouble is, this process is more than tedious, its painful as you've found and I hate to see this happen to you.  You mentioned your doctor put you on a different schedule, does this mean a different dose?

If you're back on the same dose, would you or your doctor consider raising it?  This isn't a suggestion I make lightly because its possible your body would reach tolerance to the new dose and you'd have to raise it again but at this juncture, I see this as the better option for you.

My original dose was 0.5mg at bedtime (11 ish) with the option to take a 2nd dose as needed. For many years I was fine with 0.5mg at bed with an occasional 2nd dose if I awoke in the middle of the night. About 2 years ago I started having problems with waking in the middle of the due to urination issues (BPH) and I started taking Tamsulosin. It didn't stop my waking so I routinely began taking my 0.5mg Clon at 11pm and 0.25mg (I cut the tablet in half) at around 3am for about 2 years. This worked for me regarding sleep and I didn't have any side effects. Then I unexpectedly was hospitalized and my Clon was stopped for 2 weeks. At the start of the 3rd week (out of ICU) they restarted some of my meds and they put me on 0.5mg 2x daily at 10 pm and 4 am. This doesn't seem to be working for me as I have severe trouble sleeping and other withdrawal symptoms. I'm now trying to find a doctor to help but even that is very difficult,

[Li...]
45 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

My original dose was 0.5mg at bedtime (11 ish) with the option to take a 2nd dose as needed. For many years I was fine with 0.5mg at bed with an occasional 2nd dose if I awoke in the middle of the night. About 2 years ago I started having problems with waking in the middle of the due to urination issues (BPH) and I started taking Tamsulosin. It didn't stop my waking so I routinely began taking my 0.5mg Clon at 11pm and 0.25mg (I cut the tablet in half) at around 3am for about 2 years. This worked for me regarding sleep and I didn't have any side effects. Then I unexpectedly was hospitalized and my Clon was stopped for 2 weeks. At the start of the 3rd week (out of ICU) they restarted some of my meds and they put me on 0.5mg 2x daily at 10 pm and 4 am. This doesn't seem to be working for me as I have severe trouble sleeping and other withdrawal symptoms. I'm now trying to find a doctor to help but even that is very difficult,

@[Ru...]

I’m so very sorry this happened to you.

Are you aware that what the hospital did is in opposition to the 2020 US FDA boxed warning for clonazepam (see below)?  

Finding a benzo-wise doctor to help you will be challenging.  Would you feel comfortable sharing the state where you reside?  If so, I would be happy to let you know if I am aware of any doctors who are licensed there and have experience (or at least recognize) the implications of abrupt discontinuation of clonazepam after long-term use.

BOXED WARNING: RISKS FROM …. DEPENDENCE AND WITHDRAWAL REACTIONS

The continued use of benzodiazepines, including clonazepam, may lead to clinically significant physical dependence. The risks of dependence and withdrawal increase with longer treatment duration and higher daily dose. Abrupt discontinuation or rapid dosage reduction of clonazepam after continued use may precipitate acute withdrawal reactions, which can be life-threatening. To reduce the risk of withdrawal reactions, use a gradual taper to discontinue clonazepam or reduce the dosage.

[Pa...]

@[Ru...], so you're taking pretty much the same amount but at different times of the day, can you tell us what you're feeling, what symptoms you're experiencing and when in relation to your dosing?  I'd like to find out if you're dealing with interdose withdrawal.  This will help us figure out if resuming taking it the way you did before you were hospitalized is possible. 

[Ru...]
On 22/03/2024 at 11:17, [[L...] said:

@[Ru...]

I’m so very sorry this happened to you.

Are you aware that what the hospital did is in opposition to the 2020 US FDA boxed warning for clonazepam (see below)?  

Finding a benzo-wise doctor to help you will be challenging.  Would you feel comfortable sharing the state where you reside?  If so, I would be happy to let you know if I am aware of any doctors who are licensed there and have experience (or at least recognize) the implications of abrupt discontinuation of clonazepam after long-term use.

BOXED WARNING: RISKS FROM …. DEPENDENCE AND WITHDRAWAL REACTIONS

The continued use of benzodiazepines, including clonazepam, may lead to clinically significant physical dependence. The risks of dependence and withdrawal increase with longer treatment duration and higher daily dose. Abrupt discontinuation or rapid dosage reduction of clonazepam after continued use may precipitate acute withdrawal reactions, which can be life-threatening. To reduce the risk of withdrawal reactions, use a gradual taper to discontinue clonazepam or reduce the dosage.

I would very much like to know of any doctors in CT or RI. Thank you in advance for any info you might have.

[Li...]
1 hour ago, [[R...] said:

I would very much like to know of any doctors in CT or RI. Thank you in advance for any info you might have.

How are you doing @[Ru...]

You’ll want to to verify this but Valsa Madhava, MD may be licensed to practice in CT (see link below). The Alliance for Benzodiazepine Best Practices features Madhava on its website along with this description:

Dr. Valsa Madhava (an expert in supervised withdrawals and rehabilitation) is making it her mission to change the way the medical profession treats benzo dependency. She has developed a unique and comprehensive outpatient program, using a functional medicine approach, looking at root causes through thorough testing, and providing long-term support and therapy for a full recovery and optimal wellness.

Her program ensures the patient’s stability before tapering and is focused on the patient feeling in control but supported, every step of the way. The schedule and process of tapering is devised together with the patient, unique to the individual and guided by Dr. Madhava, along with her multi-disciplinary team of holistic and medical experts.

Unfortunately, insurance-based medicine does not allow practice of the in-depth, expert model of functional and root cause evaluations. Therefore, the program is out-of-network with all insurance plans.

Links:
Benzodiazepine | The Benzo Taper Doctor
https://www.thebenzotaperdoctor.com/

Alliance for Benzodiazepine Best Practices
https://benzoreform.org/speaking-with-your-medical-provider/